Hitachi Refrigerator R-SG31BPTH or R-SG37BPTH

I have a Hitachi R-SG37BPTH refrigerator and recently it developed a problem in that the refrigerator compartment would not cool down to 3C or 4C. Closer inspection revealed the fan was no longer working. Ants had entered the compartment where the main circuit board is located, and about 100 ants had been fried, but eventually the ants shorted some circuits that controlled the fan and consequently the fan failed. The board had to be replaced at 2,889 baht.

If you have one of these fridges, and want to avoid electrocuting insects (and replacing the main circuit board), make sure the circuit board cover is tightly sealed. The white foam around the electric supply cord is not adequate to keep insects out. After replacing the board, I removed the white foam and applied a liberal amount of silicone around the power cord inlet.

You'll see the one ant across the terminals on IC1, and few on top of the heat sink of another IC. They were also between the heat sink and across the IC terminals below the heat sink and about 100 below the the circuit board.

post-32082-0-61894000-1423410871_thumb.j

post-32082-0-64837000-1423410888_thumb.j

Edited by cigar7
  • Like 1

I wonder what was there that the ants like so much, crazy.

Maybe they loved the white cream substance between the heat sink and the big IC underneath it? About 50 dead ants were stuck in the white cream.

Maybe they loved the white cream substance between the heat sink and the big IC underneath it? About 50 dead ants were stuck in the white cream.

Those tiny ants either like, or get confused by, electric fields, they end up in all manner of electrical and electronic devices often follwed by geckos which tend to form a more solid, electronics killing, short :(

I've filled all our outlet and switch back boxes along with the pump pressure switch with ant killer, seems to have discouraged them.

Those tiny ants either like, or get confused by, electric fields, they end up in all manner of electrical and electronic devices often follwed by geckos which tend to form a more solid, electronics killing, short sad.png

I've filled all our outlet and switch back boxes along with the pump pressure switch with ant killer, seems to have discouraged them.

I now have in the kitchen, 4 green boxes of yellow ant pellets, white chalk ant killer, and the liquid ant bait, and chondrite on the power fridge power cord. Not an ant in sight!

I'll also be placing those yellow pellets near the TVs, UPSs and other electronic and electrical devices. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Edited by cigar7