renewing retirement visa

Suspect you have an extension of stay based on retirement as "retirement visas" are not issued !

The answer to your question depends on where you actually live . If most of your time is spent in Chiang Mai that is where you should renew your extension. Application can be made up to 30 daays prior to you current extension expiring.

• Like 1

You can do your application for an extension of stay (it is not a visa) based in Jomitien if you are now living there permanently and can show proof of residence there.

What financial proof will you use?

You will need a copy of your passport photo page, visa, entry/permit to stay stamp, extension stamp and your TM6 departure card. A completed TM7 form with an attached photo. You will need proof of address also.

Can't we just delete any post referring to an extension as a 'visa' then people might get the message at last.

And take away the reason for replying to these threads for so, so, so, so many posters here?

What would they do with the spare time not spent typing "it's not a visa"

Firstly, thanks to the replies, Please forgive my ignorance as it seems some people are ahead of me. I applied for a "retirement visa" in Chiang Mai nearly a year ago, Lasting a year and reporting every 90 days. When travelling to Australia I went to immigration and got a re-entry permit valid to 29th March when the passport expires believing when I return I had to re-apply for a new retirement visa with all the forms and bank statement of 800,00 baht. Please tell me if I am correct so far and why some people are saying it is not a visa, sorry, a little confused.

Firstly, thanks to the replies, Please forgive my ignorance as it seems some people are ahead of me. I applied for a "retirement visa" in Chiang Mai nearly a year ago, Lasting a year and reporting every 90 days. When travelling to Australia I went to immigration and got a re-entry permit valid to 29th March when the passport expires believing when I return I had to re-apply for a new retirement visa with all the forms and bank statement of 800,00 baht. Please tell me if I am correct so far and why some people are saying it is not a visa, sorry, a little confused.

See posts #2 & #3. If, as seems apparent, it is literally a visa (rather than an extension of stay) which you're determined to get, you'll be wasting your time going to Chiang Mai or Jomtien since they don't issue visas. Instead you will need to travel to the Thai Consulate in Vientiane in order to obtain a fresh non-O visa there.

Can't we just delete any post referring to an extension as a 'visa' then people might get the message at last.

Or even better IMHO, take the guilty posters literally at their word and inform them that the only course of action open to them would be to go to the Thai consulates in Savannakhet or Vientiane for completely fresh non-O visas!

Edited by OJAS

or just word it the right way and we will all understand

and there are many posts on the subject that should actually be pinned - even a whole thread as long as it contains the correct info slightly edited to remove Off topic chatter

" I applied for a "retirement visa" in Chiang Mai nearly a year ago, Lasting a year and reporting every 90 days. "

No you applied for and apparently got a one year extension of stay. Since it is not a visa, you needed to get a re-entry permit so you can exit and return to Thailand without losing the extension.

"re-entry permit valid to 29th March when the passport expires believing when I return ..."

BUT hopefully you will get or now have a new passport if the passport you used last year expires on 29 March. When you have the new passport you need to go to immigrations to get the stamps transferred to the new passport. You should do that before going there for a new extension.

Then a month or so before your extension expires, you can apply for a new extension of stay with all the usual forms you mentioned above and using the new passport that has the stamps already transferred/entered by immigrations.

And if you plan to travel out of the country, you'll need a new re-entry permit after you get the new extension of stay.

Edited by Suradit69