Rooting Gel

when I was in the UK I would take a cutting from a plant and start it off in rooting gel.

can someone tell me the name of the Thai version please.

I only know that it exists Farang-Land, not yet saw it here....

(I guess that post is not very helpfull beside bringing the topic up again)

I have some strawberry flavoured rooting gel.

I bought it from a lovely young lady shop assistant in Brisbane who had her tongue pierced..

The shop had no windows on the street. Strange!

no windows on the street and you enter the shop thru the backyards.

That is definitly a shop for seeds, as seeds are sensitiv on sunlight.

Often these shops also sell latex-rubber clothes, I guess for farming in swamp areas so you don´t get wet. I guess many farmer are very violent as these shops often carry things to torture people. Maybe they use that if someone want to steal their strawberries......

And nurse clothes (but very short, maybe for hot areas?).

And very high high-heel boots, most probably the farmers wife is walking with them over the land to make the holes for the seeds into it.

Definitly sure you were in a shop for farmer/plants

I've found that just sticking the cuttings in soil works most of the time. When I want to start cuttings I just cut alot of them and stick them in the ground and then use the best ones and discard the extras. If you have a problem with rot (usually I don't but somtimes I do) then you can try rooting them in clean sand...like what they use to make concrete. Once they get started you just transplant them into dirt. Usually there is not need for any chemicals at all....at least in my experience.

Side note: Sometimes the experts suggest various techniques for succeeding in some aspect of horticulture. As experts they spare no expense and are familiar with methods and techniques so they tend to be a bit out of touch with the abilities and resources of the average gardener. Sometimes the professional approach will give better results on a percentage basis but adequate results can be obtained with simpler methods. An example is the sprouting of papaya seeds for propogation. If you go out on the internet you will find alot of different methods advised. There is one professional grower who advises an intense method of soaking and washing and chemical treating and temperature control etc. etc. etc......while on the other hand I get excellent results by just scooping the seeds directly from the ripe fruit, rinsing them, letting them dry in the shade for a couple/few days, and then planting them into well drained soil......go figure!!!!

Edited by chownah

I agree, Chownah, often the humidity of the climate helps to root far better than a rooting hormone will.

That said, not all cuttings root easily. Sometimes it helps to check the best way to root a particular plant. Some root more easily from woody cuttings other from green, some root from leaves.

If you have a particular plant in mind that you want to root kurgen, post here, I'll bet at least one of us gardening nuts has had experience with it :o

I'm trying to strike (root) a frangipani (plumeria or lelawadee in Thai) at the moment...

I had some success with a cutting nicked from a local golf course a month ago... it already has grown about 100mm and has new leaves and a flower spike already.

My current cutting is some 2 metres tall with a base of about 150mm diameter.

:o

I'm using plain washed sand (as chownah suggested earlier), and no rooting compound.

No prompem.

:D

I'm trying to strike (root) a frangipani (plumeria or lelawadee in Thai) at the moment...

I had some success with a cutting nicked from a local golf course a month ago... it already has grown about 100mm and has new leaves and a flower spike already.

My current cutting is some 2 metres tall with a base of about 150mm diameter.

:o

I'm using plain washed sand (as chownah suggested earlier), and no rooting compound.

No prompem.

:D

Best way to root a frangipani is to strip all the leaves off after cutting the branch off. Then, allow the cutting to dry out for a day or two, then stick it into the sand.

All my frangipani trees started out with a branch from a friends place (Ok except for the cutting I knicked from another bungalow place :D ) and some of those are now over 15 feet tall.

Here is the shorter of my two tall frangipani trees, this one is probaby about 7-10 years old--grown from a cutting from my friend

post-4641-1156503238_thumb.jpg

And this is my favorite, it is bright red and smells kind of cinnamony -- grown from a liberated cutting :o

post-4641-1156503315_thumb.jpg