Farang passenger vs Thai cab driver: Who'll win?

Thaivisa News

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well thats a first !!Farang trying to cheat a Bangkok taxi driver. !!

Well done mate.

First of all, it's certainly not the first farang to cheat a taxi driver....

Second, It's the farang that initiated the 400 bth trip to the airport.....the taxi driver only agreed on this witch every body would do....

The farang didn't keep his word he is the scumbag here....

I personally have met a lot of very nice taxi drivers....AND A FEW BAD ONES...But the majority were OK....

regards....

Firstly NOT EVERYONE would do it, you are just counting the rest of us in with you, what you are saying is that YOU would.Not looking for an argument here, you seem very reasonable, just putting the record straight.

It's called breaking the law, and fraud if u like. Small amounts, and frankly unimportant amounts, but still breaking his licence agreement, as well as reducing his meter, and thereby his earnings declaration for tax.

Do I really care about this? Is this going impact my life? are we talking massive Taksin sized front page tax evasion? NO

Have I also met very nice taxi drivers? YES, literally 100's of them.

Does one driver doing this once matter at all? NO

BUT since its going on all over Bangkok place EVERY DAY, it is a real problem that both customers and honest taxi drivers would like stamped out.

And who's been selected to monitor and dish out the punishments? YES ITS THE BOYS IN BROWN! You'd think that they'd be a little more enthused since it involves the collection of fines, but sadly, no, our boy in brown in this case (as per usual) sided with the Thai 100% and ignored the fact that he's supposed to be fining taxis for not using their meters!

Oh yeah, and finally, yes, the FArang was probably a cheating scumbag, but since we weren't there, and the story is so obviously short and biased, its not easy to tell, but anybody who thinks he is getting a taxi to the airport for just over a dollar in any country in the whole world is living in fairyland!

Edited by cyborgx

Wow, what a "news". A passenger tried to pay the taxi driver less than what was promised and ended up paying the full amount. He was lucky the taxi driver didn't carry a machete in his trunk.

Obviously Mr Farang hadn't seen the video of Troy Lee Pilkington getting hacked to death with a machete by a well-mannered, kind-hearted Bangkok taxi driver who lost face over getting stiffed for 50 or so baht (so he said). Mr. Farang should be happy. God only knows what fate would have awaited him for stiffing this taxi driver for 360฿. Possibility a short flight off a tall building - of course - ruled as a suicide. <sigh> I've lived here too long.

Wow, what a "news". A passenger tried to pay the taxi driver less than what was promised and ended up paying the full amount. He was lucky the taxi driver didn't carry a machete in his trunk.

Obviously Mr Farang hadn't seen the video of Troy Lee Pilkington getting hacked to death with a machete by a well-mannered, kind-hearted Bangkok taxi driver who lost face over getting stiffed for 50 or so baht (so he said). Mr. Farang should be happy. God only knows what fate would have awaited him for stiffing this taxi driver for 360฿. Possibility a short flight off a tall building - of course - ruled as a suicide. <sigh> I've lived here too long.

Of course, then again, try doing that at LAX or JFK with a local cabbie and you're going to get you butt kicked, or arrested, or both. Probably both.

He must be sick of being ripped off, so out to get his own back and make the driver sweat for a little while

I think this is the most likely explanation. I canot imagine that it was a calculated move just to save the taxi fare. The fact that he declined the use of the meter may show intend, but, I think, only for revenge and not to actually save money.

Another thing I find is that the headlines on this post are anti to anything Thai.

Who puts these headlines up in the first place.

Things like thieving Brits, pitiful.

Farang strikes back, pathetic.

Is this a forum for responsible people to commune with or is it a dick heads get my steam off place.

If this story were as straightforward as the op were to have us believe .... Why wasn't the meter turned on?

A promise of an inflated fare or not ... If the meter was running their could be no arguing or dispute as to payment. The residual overpayment would simply amount to a generous tip. Something is missing, I am sure.

As far as Facebook goes .... Any budding movie maker can act out a scenario. Especially if it's a popular or current news item.

not going to read 5 pages...

But you may win the battle with a taxi driver but not the War !

they know where you got picked up and dropped off and could probably find you again if they had too ,

its just not worth looking over your shoulder for a tire iron aimed at you for a few hundred baht

I'm in their country their not in mne.I'm going to do whatever I can to make my life easier in Thailand.If that means

Paying the taxi driver the amount we agreed to so be it.If all of this went down they way it stated.I think the farang

Is lucky it didn't go nuclear on him.

Well thats a first !!Farang trying to cheat a Bangkok taxi driver. !!

Well done mate.

Yeah......well done mate............the outcome is what counts Colin and not the try.

At the end he paid and apologized on top........Well done mate..........

After he was forced to do so by the police.....if somebody tries to rob me and doesn't get away with it because I call the police and they catch him ....it's well done to the police, not to the thief .....for me getting my money back...and he can stuff his apology.

this story is hard to believe.

since when does a customer ask a taxi driver to turn off his meter?

there is no reference to this story anywhere else.

furthermore Uthit Fahmeeta exists neither on facebook nor on youtube.

bit creepy the information that fahmeeta operates a sort of gestapo/stasi network of informers in thailand.

So if a farang promises a particular amount for a fare, he is required to pay it or else the police will get involved.

But the promised 'fares' posted in the cab can be ignored by the drivers with impunity.

OK, got that.

(Is this some variant on 'cab driver returns wallet containing 1,000,000 baht to absent minded European?')

Edited by jacko45k

Once, a long time ago .....in a galaxy far, far away...just joking.... I had a 1000 baht note to pay a 76 baht taxi cab fare while the cabbie claimed he did not have change.

So I leave him waiting and parked on the street

So I go into the Family Mart and buy a 10 baht bottle of energy drink

I get to the counter and there are several other people there and the employees are taking their sweet time....slowly taking care of each customer.

I get to the counter and hand them the 1000 baht note but they do not have enough change in that till and have to get another employee to open the safe and give the counter employee enough smaller bills.

Finally after about 8 minutes or so, or possibly 10 minutes, I get back outside and the taxi is not there.

No where to be seen........

FREE...taxi ride that day......ha ha

Cheers

A similar thing happened to me but the numbers were much smaller, I felt very humble.

Perhaps an oversight?

Today I bought an item for 60 Baht and paid with a 1000 baht note.

The saleswoman gave me back 40 baht.

I told the saleswoman that i have given her a 1000 baht note and pronto she gave me 940 Baht back.

Perhaps an oversight?

She did it without hesitation right ??