Feeling sick of the USA, desperately want to return to Thailand

Tai777

Hello all, as you can see I'm a new member here. I am a dual Thai-US citizen currently living in the USA.

Right now I am 22 years old, male and in a junior college. I was working towards my Bachelor's degree here in the USA but I completely lost interest and I desperately want to go back to Thailand, life here is too boring and depressing for me.

I was considering learning some useful skills and enrolling in vocational programs such as learning carpentry, automotive and electrical skills. I'm wondering how far I could get in Thailand with several vocational skills from the USA and no Bachelor's degree. I know I won't need a work permit, because I hold Thai citizenship, so that would not be an obstacle for me.

I am seriously considering teaching English in one of the backwater provinces, as I can't stand being in the city, but my question is, how will I fare without a bachelor's degree? WIll I be able to make a decent living? I could possibly get a TEFL certificate.

(edit: Creature comforts such as high speed internet/hot water are not required for me, as I can live just like the rural Thais do, it is something I am used to)

Edited by Tai777

Right now I live with my mom, she is working here but she wants to go back in a couple of years and I go to school for free. At first I was super-motivated to be an engineer or something, but now I lost all that and I just want to learn some useful skills such as fixing autos, I don't have any passion left for school.

• Like 1

How long have you been gone?

High speed internet ( even wireless ) is easy to find in rural Thailand now..and water heaters are too!

As far as teaching English goes, you can get a job without a BA, if you have a good command of the language and speak English and not Tinglish,

Being a Thai citizen and not restricted in what work you can do here, I would consider other professions to make a living.

Even the best English teaching jobs do not pay all that well.

You must be aware of the current state of affairs in Thailand.

If you have no problem with that,

I say come on back.

• Like 1

You say you are Thai/American and 22 years old.

Without a degree, your main assets will be your bi-lingual language skills and your looks.

If you are somewhat good-looking/tall/toned/fit, there might be some modelling work here to get you started.

Your language skills may give you a leg-up in the hospitality industry - many new hotels here.

Unless you are unique, carpentry and motoring mechanics skills are a dime a d here, and will not utilise your English proficiency.

If you are bored and want interesting challenges, you can enlist in the (US) Army or Navy for some action.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

High speed internet ( even wireless ) is easy to find in rural Thailand now..and water heaters are too!

As far as teaching English goes, you can get a job without a BA, if you have a good command of the language and speak English and not Tinglish,

Being a Thai citizen and not restricted in what work you can do here, I would consider other professions to make a living.

I say come on back.

I've been gone about 2-3 years. In the village where most of my relatives reside, there are no internet lines, but there is mobile internet you can get on your cellphone/tablet from DTAC and other wireless operators, and I guess if one were to set up water heaters one could, but no one really has hot water there.

I definitely don't think all rural villages in Thailand have internet, even in Central Thailand. Even around upper Central Thailand and Northern Thailand there are a lot of ethnic minority villages without any running water or electricity. I know some friends from Isaan just got electricity in their village this year.

Yes, I speak good English, I definitely don't speak Tinglish, except sometimes when I get lazy or when I haven't been speaking English for a long time.

What other options are there besides teaching English? I prefer the North of Thailand to all other parts, but I don't particularly appreciate the touristy vibe of Chiang Mai city. I wouldn't mind working in the city as long as I was staying outside of it and could commute.

At this point I'm thinking I may as well just finish my B.S. in computer engineering.

Without a degree, your main assets will be your bi-lingual language skills and your looks.

If you are somewhat good-looking/tall/toned/fit, there might be some modelling work here to get you started.

Your language skills may give you a leg-up in the hospitality industry - many new hotels here.

Unless you are unique, carpentry and motoring mechanics skills are a dime a d here, and will not utilise your English proficiency.

If you are bored and want interesting challenges, you can enlist in the (US) Army or Navy for some action.

I've been told I was handsome, but I'm not tall, I'm a bit taller than the average Thai guy.

Also I can't join the US armed forces, because of me being a citizen of Thailand. It's illegal.

Edited by Tai777

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I say come on back.

I've been gone about 2-3 years. In the village where most of my relatives reside, there are no internet lines, but there is mobile internet you can get on your cellphone/tablet from DTAC and other wireless operators, and I guess if one were to set up water heaters one could, but no one really has hot water there.

Yes, I speak good English, I definitely don't speak Tinglish, except sometimes when I get lazy or when I haven't been speaking English for a long time.

What other options are there besides teaching English? I prefer the North of Thailand to all other parts, but I don't particularly appreciate the touristy vibe of Chiang Mai city. I wouldn't mind working in the city as long as I was staying outside of it and could commute.

At this point I'm thinking I may as well just finish my B.S. in computer engineering.

I've been told I was handsome, but I'm not tall, I'm a bit taller than the average Thai guy.

Also I can't join the US armed forces, because of me being a citizen of Thailand. It's illegal.

My understanding is your last sentence is not true, nothing stopping a dual national joining the military of the "other" country its not illegal neither country has jurisdiction over this

There may be rules to prohibit a person with dual nationality achieving rank above as certain level that's all

Edited by Soutpeel

I feel joining the armed forces might be a waste of time, as it would slow down my educational progress. I'm not sure actually, but I had just heard it was illegal, or maybe just for certain ranks/positions. I'm not too knowledgeable about this topic.

I had to go through the draft in Thailand as well, but luckily I didn't get a red card.

Regardless, I still want to explore Northern Thailand, which to me is the most beautiful part of Thailand, I also like Laos but I wouldn't dream of living there, you can't make any money.

Edited by Tai777
  • Like 1

Stay with your education! It's worth a few years of boredom. I hated law school and wanted to drop out many times but I hung in there and it changed not only my life but my family's life as well because I was easily able to provide for them beyond their dreams. Do not let boredom become a victor over you! There is plenty of time to go back.

• Like 1

You are probably right, I don't have any arguments to conjure up. Well, I guess I just have to endure this, could be worse though, my life at this point is not so bad.

That's right Tai,put it into perspective,think how many people are desperate to be in your position ,another 2/3 years,and you will have good qualifications,the world is then your oyster,try to stick it out ,try and think,that right now there is a young man like you sitting somewhere in Syria or the like trembling with fear and dreaming of being in college in the Usa.

• Like 1

You are probably right, I don't have any arguments to conjure up. Well, I guess I just have to endure this, could be worse though, my life at this point is not so bad.

Let me just add the following: Think of what you can achieve in Thailand with an Engineering degree and some work experience in the US. With such qualifications and experience you can do a lot for yourself and help others in Thailand if you wish to come back to Thailand. I wish you a lot of success and a lot of patience and endurance!

I feel joining the armed forces might be a waste of time, as it would slow down my educational progress. I'm not sure actually, but I had just heard it was illegal, or maybe just for certain ranks/positions. I'm not too knowledgeable about this topic.

I had to go through the draft in Thailand as well, but luckily I didn't get a red card.

Regardless, I still want to explore Northern Thailand, which to me is the most beautiful part of Thailand, I also like Laos but I wouldn't dream of living there, you can't make any money.

Do not abort your degree. If you really don't like your current course then change it or go to a different college but do not come to Thailand without a degree. Thais are obsessed with degrees and many hiring managers will not hesitate to shaft you on pay if you lack a degree - that's if they haven't already binned your application without a second glance for not having a degree. Not only that, but new government policies and general hiring practices are squeezing the window of opportunity pretty tight for people without degrees.

I've heard that the western engineers working on the mines in Lao get paid pretty well.

It is in no way illegal for you to join the US military. Your Thai citizenship would affect your security clearance ceiling which dictates the rank you can reach in conjunction with the jobs and responsibilities you will be allowed to undertake. Generally speaking, the higher the rank the stricter the security clearance, but some jobs allow you to reach relatively high rank with a relatively low security clearance whereas some other jobs require a high security clearance even at low rank.

Edited by Trembly