Feeling sick of the USA, desperately want to return to Thailand

Tai777

I feel joining the armed forces might be a waste of time, as it would slow down my educational progress. I'm not sure actually, but I had just heard it was illegal, or maybe just for certain ranks/positions. I'm not too knowledgeable about this topic.

I had to go through the draft in Thailand as well, but luckily I didn't get a red card.

Regardless, I still want to explore Northern Thailand, which to me is the most beautiful part of Thailand, I also like Laos but I wouldn't dream of living there, you can't make any money.

Do not abort your degree. If you really don't like your current course then change it or go to a different college but do not come to Thailand without a degree. Thais are obsessed with degrees and many hiring managers will not hesitate to shaft you on pay if you lack a degree - that's if they haven't already binned your application without a second glance for not having a degree. Not only that, but new government policies and general hiring practices are squeezing the window of opportunity pretty tight for people without degrees.

I've heard that the western engineers working on the mines in Lao get paid pretty well.

It is in no way illegal for you to join the US military. Your Thai citizenship would affect your security clearance ceiling which dictates the rank you can reach in conjunction with the jobs and responsibilities you will be allowed to undertake. Generally speaking, the higher the rank the stricter the security clearance, but some jobs allow you to reach relatively high rank with a relatively low security clearance whereas some other jobs require a high security clearance even at low rank.

Rank has nothing to do with the type of security clearance held. Your job in the military will dictate the security clearance required.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You are probably right, I don't have any arguments to conjure up. Well, I guess I just have to endure this, could be worse though, my life at this point is not so bad.

Sounds like you may have found the wrong company in the U.S. of A. as to your boredom and loss of drive. At your young age spouting this nonsense surely suggests the use of wacky tobbaky ( cannabis sativa ) the recreation of listlessness and no drive causing complete boredom and total lack of motivation.

I don't do drugs or drink man. That's not my thing

Dear OP
Just to be a bit touchy-feely: If you're not enjoying life is there any chance you could have depression? Always worth ruling out before making major life choices. And in any case see if you can find a nice student counsellor at your school to talk through your career options. I know a lot of people are saying man up and take it, but you're 22 and should be enjoying life even if studying. Have you got a decent social life there?
But in any case I would heavily advise you to finish school. Plan some rewards each break. Get a part time job to save for trips to Thailand in vacation time. Good luck

Yes, I don't know if it it depression. I don't have much of a social life but I do hang out with some friends on weekends. I don't like going to parties or clubs, though chill bars I don't mind.

Man, you got the hate mad, leave as soon as you can, and take all your negative problems, you are still young & can afford to be stupid. All the things you want to do, I have already done, am a California boy, but for me, I could not afford all your toys. We are in our 60's and chose to live here because my wife's family is here. But if we stayed in California, we would not be able to do anything but live in a dump, drive a craply car, cook at home every night, gain weight, watch a lot of tv, and be depressed because we would not be able to do much more. Here in thailand we travel all over even to Europe, we eat out almost every night, sure there are problems here, no where is perfert. Good Luck with you life.

I feel joining the armed forces might be a waste of time, as it would slow down my educational progress. I'm not sure actually, but I had just heard it was illegal, or maybe just for certain ranks/positions. I'm not too knowledgeable about this topic.

I had to go through the draft in Thailand as well, but luckily I didn't get a red card.

Regardless, I still want to explore Northern Thailand, which to me is the most beautiful part of Thailand, I also like Laos but I wouldn't dream of living there, you can't make any money.

Do not abort your degree. If you really don't like your current course then change it or go to a different college but do not come to Thailand without a degree. Thais are obsessed with degrees and many hiring managers will not hesitate to shaft you on pay if you lack a degree - that's if they haven't already binned your application without a second glance for not having a degree. Not only that, but new government policies and general hiring practices are squeezing the window of opportunity pretty tight for people without degrees.

I've heard that the western engineers working on the mines in Lao get paid pretty well.

It is in no way illegal for you to join the US military. Your Thai citizenship would affect your security clearance ceiling which dictates the rank you can reach in conjunction with the jobs and responsibilities you will be allowed to undertake. Generally speaking, the higher the rank the stricter the security clearance, but some jobs allow you to reach relatively high rank with a relatively low security clearance whereas some other jobs require a high security clearance even at low rank.

Rank has nothing to do with the type of security clearance held. Your job in the military will dictate the security clearance required.

Er I suggest you do some basic research then as some of the gems I picked up in about 5 seconds on google:

" officers in the US military must be US citizens and US citizens alone"

If a military job requires high level security clearance level, dual citizenship can be a serious obstacle, depending on the job, The dual citizen may have to renounce his alternate citizenship or the very existence of his dual citizenship will disqualify him getting that particular security clearance "

In conclusion it appears your comments are are incorrect

I would suggest that you get your college degree before you return to Thailand. My son is 24 and when he finished high school here in Bangkok in 2008 he went to the US and got a degree from Univ of Maryland and is know working in the US. Maybe I missed it but how long did you live in Thailand before going to the USA? Can you read and write Thai?

Man, you got the hate mad, leave as soon as you can, and take all your negative problems, you are still young & can afford to be stupid. All the things you want to do, I have already done, am a California boy, but for me, I could not afford all your toys. We are in our 60's and chose to live here because my wife's family is here. But if we stayed in California, we would not be able to do anything but live in a dump, drive a craply car, cook at home every night, gain weight, watch a lot of tv, and be depressed because we would not be able to do much more. Here in thailand we travel all over even to Europe, we eat out almost every night, sure there are problems here, no where is perfert. Good Luck with you life.

Sorry I didn't really understand your statement much?

I got the hate mad? I didn't say I hated anyone.

I would suggest that you get your college degree before you return to Thailand. My son is 24 and when he finished high school here in Bangkok in 2008 he went to the US and got a degree from Univ of Maryland and is know working in the US. Maybe I missed it but how long did you live in Thailand before going to the USA? Can you read and write Thai?

I can read and write Thai just fine, maybe just not as good as someone who has stayed here their entire life, but I can understand all the books I read etc . I was alternating living in Thailand and in the USA.

There is nevertheless a correlation.

Stay in school and get that Bachelors in computer engineering. It appears that you only have 1 1/2 years remaining until you graduate.

I also have a degree in computer engineering, and can tell you that it opened many, many doors of opportunity for me, enabling me to retire comfortably at a relatively young age.

My advice would be to finish your studies and get your degree, then get a job in the US utilizing your skills for a couple of years before moving back to Thailand. Companies like Microsoft, Oracle and SAP all have offices in Thailand, and although not much product development is done here, there are sales engineering jobs here. The combination of a computer engineering degree, and the ability to speak both Thai and English would be extremely valuable.

I know that you would prefer to live in the rural North (I've spent a lot of time there myself), but you need to think about the long-range big picture. It might be best to work for one of the big S/W companies in Bangkok for a few years to build some financial security. Later, you'll be in a better financial position to live in a rural area if you're still so inclined.

Just something to think about. You could join any branch of service, do the minimum contract. While in the service you could work towards a degree online or wait until you get out of the service and use your post 9/11 GI Bill. With the post 9/11 not only does the VA pay for your school but also pays you on a monthly basis. The pay is base on the postal code of the school you attend. Here in Bangkok it is about $1500 a month so that is around ฿ 50,000.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You are probably right, I don't have any arguments to conjure up. Well, I guess I just have to endure this, could be worse though, my life at this point is not so bad.

Sounds like you may have found the wrong company in the U.S. of A. as to your boredom and loss of drive. At your young age spouting this nonsense surely suggests the use of wacky tobbaky ( cannabis sativa ) the recreation of listlessness and no drive causing complete boredom and total lack of motivation.

I don't do drugs or drink man. That's not my thing

Dear OP

Just to be a bit touchy-feely: If you're not enjoying life is there any chance you could have depression? Always worth ruling out before making major life choices. And in any case see if you can find a nice student counsellor at your school to talk through your career options. I know a lot of people are saying man up and take it, but you're 22 and should be enjoying life even if studying. Have you got a decent social life there?

But in any case I would heavily advise you to finish school. Plan some rewards each break. Get a part time job to save for trips to Thailand in vacation time. Good luck

Yes, I don't know if it it depression. I don't have much of a social life but I do hang out with some friends on weekends. I don't like going to parties or clubs, though chill bars I don't mind.

Then go see a doctor and tell all your depressing tales there and gets some help.

4 Seasons in Kona where we are, has the wealthiest clientele.

Next door is the most expensive single family home in the world.

(in my opinion) belonging to Michael Dell.

Lots of Asians here.(tall enough?)A well spoken One would be welcomed.

I live cheaply on the mountain above town.

Thinking of bringing eco walking tourists to have a cup of tea up here.

Growing lavender and other sh*t..

Feel free to visit..

Maybe take some time to reconsider your major.

Take your time..also asking bad teachers for help cam be enlightening.

Electrician in Thailand is a great thought.Plummer, etc.

Do not sign on the dotted line for military service. Ouch!

Hawaii is Undisciplined,like Thailand, but more opportunities $$

Alohz

Option 1:

Finish your Egineering Degree and watch a world of multiple opportunities open up to you like a time-lapse film of a blossoming Chrysanthemum.

Option 2:

Get some vocational training in th US. Come back to Thailand and open a business in a high ex-pat area. Put a big sign over the business:

US TRAINED/STANDARDS, FLUENT ENGLISH SPOKEN

Watch the money roll in.

Option 3:

Come back to Thailand now and in 10 years time, maybe less, start wondering what your biggest mistake was.

• Like 1

Unless you have a rich Thai family, you will only get low paid jobs here. If there is a job that pays better, and requires your only skill; speaking English, they would rather have a 100% Caucasian. If you want to teach here, you wont do any better than the Filipinos, making 15-18,000 a month. But as a bi-lingual Engineer, your options are big.

Option 1:

Finish your Egineering Degree and watch a world of multiple opportunities open up to you like a time-lapse film of a blossoming Chrysanthemum.

Option 2:

Get some vocational training in th US. Come back to Thailand and open a business in a high ex-pat area. Put a big sign over the business:

US TRAINED/STANDARDS, FLUENT ENGLISH SPOKEN

Watch the money roll in.

Option 3:

Come back to Thailand now and in 10 years time, maybe less, start wondering what your biggest mistake was.

Option 2 sounds like the best for me. I'm very interested in electrical and carpentry work

It sounds like you are suffering from a bit of depression or some other neurosis. I am not suggesting you are mentally ill, but there is a point in life when one doesn't always like the direction they are going and sense of aimlessness and the need for a change sets in. I have dealt with a number of students who went through a similar feeling as you.

How you deal with it is up to you, but I think most things point toward the need for an education. If not right now, at some point in the not too distant future.

If you come back to the Thailand and wish to teach English you may have trouble. Thai nationals generally (for regular schools) need to have a Teacher's License and that requires a degree and that degree needs to be in education. If you get a job as a native speaker, then you might earn a decent wage, but usually, Asians are paid substantially less than a 'white' person--or even a 'black' person. Thailand is quite xenophobic. You will not require a work permit, etc., but you will be less-than-legal in a school.

A degree in Thailand is pretty much a must. Even a Bachelor's is proving to be less than enough for good jobs. All that said, with your language skills (and your writing is excellent), you will find work and you will do reasonably well, but you will never be considered a 'farang' and you will not have a degree.

You might want to see a counselor to help you work through your current sense of boredom and ennui and see if there is someway of getting back on track. You may also wish to take some time off and experience life and see what your passion is.

Best of luck. At your age, the world is your oyster and you have a lot going for you, but as cures go, geographical ones usually aren't all that successful.

I think I would do good as a teacher though, because even though I'm half Thai I look full white, or maybe like a lighter skinned Arab.

What does the future hold? We are all going to die someday. The reason I want to live there is because of certain things I enjoy over there that don't exist here. So why would I want to live in the US all my life and not experience the things I want to experience

• Like 1

It sounds like you are suffering from a bit of depression or some other neurosis. I am not suggesting you are mentally ill, but there is a point in life when one doesn't always like the direction they are going and sense of aimlessness and the need for a change sets in. I have dealt with a number of students who went through a similar feeling as you.

How you deal with it is up to you, but I think most things point toward the need for an education. If not right now, at some point in the not too distant future.

If you come back to the Thailand and wish to teach English you may have trouble. Thai nationals generally (for regular schools) need to have a Teacher's License and that requires a degree and that degree needs to be in education. If you get a job as a native speaker, then you might earn a decent wage, but usually, Asians are paid substantially less than a 'white' person--or even a 'black' person. Thailand is quite xenophobic. You will not require a work permit, etc., but you will be less-than-legal in a school.

A degree in Thailand is pretty much a must. Even a Bachelor's is proving to be less than enough for good jobs. All that said, with your language skills (and your writing is excellent), you will find work and you will do reasonably well, but you will never be considered a 'farang' and you will not have a degree.

You might want to see a counselor to help you work through your current sense of boredom and ennui and see if there is someway of getting back on track. You may also wish to take some time off and experience life and see what your passion is.

Best of luck. At your age, the world is your oyster and you have a lot going for you, but as cures go, geographical ones usually aren't all that successful.

Good advice.

Well I don't know if it was good advice because I frequently am considered a 'farang' by Thais because I am half Thai and dont look Asian.

I know I'm going to take a lot of heat for this, but I'm just going to bite the bullet here. I'm interested in the areas of southeast Asia that aren't completely "McDonaldized" and even though I know a lot of Thailand is, living here puts me in a convenient location to travel to Myanmar, Laos etc and I don't have to hop on a plane every time. If I wait till I'm older southeast Asia probably won't have much to offer.

I know someone's gonna make that stupid "culture not stagnant, etc" argument but guess what I don't care, and I'm a bit interested in anthropology and linguistics. I like that old school "off the grid" type love.

Edited by Tai777

And I do appreciate the advice, but what some people have said I believe to be simply not true. Making about 30k baht/mo is enough for me. It's not really about the money.

I don't have to live in a condo w/ A/C and hot water, I can live just like a Thai and save money, plus I have my own house. The reason I enjoy southeast Asia is because I want to learn all the languages and I'm just interested in Myanmar and Laos and all the subcultures. It may sound strange but i quite like linguistics more than engineering.

• Like 1

Well I don't know if it was good advice because I frequently am considered a 'farang' by Thais because I am half Thai and dont look Asian.

I know I'm going to take a lot of heat for this, but I'm just going to bite the bullet here. I'm interested in the areas of southeast Asia that aren't completely "McDonaldized" and even though I know a lot of Thailand is, living here puts me in a convenient location to travel to Myanmar, Laos etc and I don't have to hop on a plane every time. If I wait till I'm older southeast Asia probably won't have much to offer.

I know someone's gonna make that stupid "culture not stagnant, etc" argument but guess what I don't care, and I'm a bit interested in anthropology and linguistics. I like that old school "off the grid" type love.

great stuff go for it man, sounds as if you have it all sussed out, what are you waiting for, get your ass on a plane and get over here.

Sound like a spoiled rich brat who cant get laid at home, but thinks over here you will be some sort of stud.

heres some news for you Somboon, no money no honey.

Seen your type before, they wake up too late to the fact that the, sabai sabia mai pen rai attitude dont cut it in the west, they come over here with their tail between their leg and end up as TEFLr types, thats after their Thai familt upcountry rips them off.

Where is your father in all of this?

Cant put an old head on young shoulders, I want the world and I want it now, go for it, you are de man.

And I do appreciate the advice, but what some people have said I believe to be simply not true. Making about 30k baht/mo is enough for me. It's not really about the money.

I don't have to live in a condo w/ A/C and hot water, I can live just like a Thai and save money, plus I have my own house. The reason I enjoy southeast Asia is because I want to learn all the languages and I'm just interested in Myanmar and Laos and all the subcultures. It may sound strange but i quite like linguistics more than engineering.

It may sound strange but i quite like linguistics more than engineering.

Well best you change your course asap.

Theres a Thai guy up the soi from me (actually he is a Laos natuarilsed) who speaks 6 languages, Laos, French, English, Thai etc etc.

He worked for the UN as a translator, his entry permit was, he had a degree, he lives in Bkk and picks up a retirement cheque of 60k baht per month.

Do you want his job?

Are you qualified to do it?

Back to serving beers in a bar in Jomtien for you matey.

I'm not rich, first of all, not even a little bit.

Second of all youre flaming me.

Third, I've never worked in a bar, and what does it matter to you whether I can get laid here or not?

I don't even prefer white women, and why would my family rip me off? They aren't my in laws but my real family.

And as for my father, he is dead.

I don't want the world either, just a small part of it.

Maybe we can keep this conversation civil.

I even said I've lived in villages before and I don't need any modern luxuries such as condos. So where does the rich/spoiled part come into this discussion?

If I wanted to get laid so bad I could get a hooker, an escort or go meet some girls at a bar, which I have before.

I don't care for Thai women either, they are easy to get in bed for the most part and have lost most of their culture.

I said I would like a Burmese or Karen woman, because they still have their values.

If all I'm looking for is an easy lay why would I go through all this effort to get it?

As you can see I'm trying to stay composed and not flame you back like you flamed me.