Feeling sick of the USA, desperately want to return to Thailand

Tai777

I had understood that Thais could not have dual nationality after the age of 16. Is this not the case? IF you want to teach English, far better to come in as an American and ditch the Thai passport....you will earn four to five times as much as a Thai teacher and have fewer responsibilities. You may also turn out to be a much better Thai teacher than the majority of 'English' teacher in rural Thailand, most of whom seem to lack any tertiary education.

I had understood that Thais could not have dual nationality after the age of 16. Is this not the case?

Both countries permit (or do not prohibit) dual nationality.

Many board members have both Thai and another (or even two other) nationality.

• Like 1

I'm a 65-yr-old American who has spent 40 years outside the US (on and off, not continuously) living in 10 countries worldwide and, of course, visiting a lot of others. I love it in the U.S.--except for one thing: the women. I absolutely love the Thai, Vietnamese and Chinese women...they are beyond compare. Chinese especially: no sexual hangups, straightforward, smart, incredibly beautiful, and they know what they like. Either they like you or they don't. If they like you, they get on with it. If they don't, have a nice day. The Caucasian American women need six months to figure out if they like you or not , meanwhile declaring war on you and the entire male gender. But...if I take a lovely Asian home with me, she'll be set upon by every straight man in sight and they'll be hitting on her five minutes after we clear customs.

Right now I live with my mom, she is working here but she wants to go back in a couple of years and I go to school for free. At first I was super-motivated to be an engineer or something, but now I lost all that and I just want to learn some useful skills such as fixing autos, I don't have any passion left for school.

Tai, Peace. Sawadee Krub.

You can reply to me privately. I've a contact, can help both you and Mother.

They are in Europe now on holiday, they'll be back at their BKK desk very soon.

Helping Thai people is their profession. Their calling. worldwide

You sound like a winner , a young man in transition.

Be well, have faith. It will happen.

Right now I live with my mom, she is working here but she wants to go back in a couple of years and I go to school for free. At first I was super-motivated to be an engineer or something, but now I lost all that and I just want to learn some useful skills such as fixing autos, I don't have any passion left for school.

Somehow or another, you have to get a grip on yourself. I have Thai friends in Thailand who

would do almost anything to be in your shoes. It seems you don't fully appreciate the incredible

opportunity you are THROWING away. A couple years in Thailand and you will be kicking

yourself saying "what the HELL was I thinking??". The decisions you make now will affect

the rest of your life. You have the opportunity to get a computer engineering degree and

eventually make twenty times the money you would EVER make in Thailand. When things

get tough in this world and you are scraping by on a few baht here and there, you will HATE

yourself for abandoning this opportunity, especially if you want to have a family and kids some day. Think of that too. Sure, I realize America can be boring at times, but so can being at the bottom of the rung, scrounging for bits of food and shelter and depending on the kindness of others.

Get tough and force yourself to get through this. It will pass faster than you can imagine.

Somehow you have to find the inner strength to make this go right. Or would you rather

be working in some go-go bar in Pattaya, selling yourself to some fat farang for 500 baht?

Sure, you believe that's never going to happen to you. Just wait until things get difficult

in Thailand.... you might be whistling a different tune. Just remember all the people in

Thailand who would jump over almost any obstacle to trade places with you. Time to grow up.

Edited by bigbearjohn

What ever you do. Stay in school as loooong as you can. Ask your mum. Once working life starts. Your parents stop giving you everything. You will work, for the next 30 to 40 years. If you think you are bored now. Well let's just say you will be in for a big surprise, when the reality of working hits. No more holidays 3 months a year. You get 3 to 4 weeks a year if lucky. No more sitting around chatting with friends throughout the day and weekends. YOU WORK.

And you can forget about skipping a few days here and there. YOU WORK. Everybody I know wishes to have those sweet few years back at school.

Stay in school dude.

• Like 1

I want to congratulate all of you. I have just finished page one, and you actually gave this young man your best advice; not always the same, but from the heart.

Let me add that I agree with those who recommend you stay in the US and finish your degree. As was said, a good education and being bi-lingual will serve you well here in Thailand. However, working here as a US hire of a US firm would provide better; your skills are worthwhile to US firms too, especially those with business in Thailand.

Glad to see good responses here.

You got the opportunity dreamed for many people at your age.

Take advantage of that, and get ANY kind of education you like and it is available to you.

What you can get practically FREE in a local US State College in just 2 years, is equal or better to many Thai universities...and you also are a fluent English speaker. Don't you?. I moved to the US at 45, and I was amazed and jealous of all the education and work choices people in your age have in the US, and all the independence that means for them. I didn't have in my country in my young times.. Do not waste this chance, coming back to the past, wasting time in fool dreams, or getting married too soon in life.

Your time to learn and enjoy your learning is NOW.

Good luck.

Edited by umbanda
  • Like 1

Somehow or another, you have to get a grip on yourself. I have Thai friends in Thailand who

would do almost anything to be in your shoes. It seems you don't fully appreciate the incredible

opportunity you are THROWING away. A couple years in Thailand and you will be kicking

yourself saying "what the HELL was I thinking??". The decisions you make now will affect

the rest of your life. You have the opportunity to get a computer engineering degree and

eventually make twenty times the money you would EVER make in Thailand. When things

get tough in this world and you are scraping by on a few baht here and there, you will HATE

yourself for abandoning this opportunity, especially if you want to have a family and kids some day. Think of that too. Sure, I realize America can be boring at times, but so can being at the bottom of the rung, scrounging for bits of food and shelter and depending on the kindness of others.

Get tough and force yourself to get through this. It will pass faster than you can imagine.

Somehow you have to find the inner strength to make this go right. Or would you rather

be working in some go-go bar in Pattaya, selling yourself to some fat farang for 500 baht?

Sure, you believe that's never going to happen to you. Just wait until things get difficult

in Thailand.... you might be whistling a different tune. Just remember all the people in

Thailand who would jump over almost any obstacle to trade places with you. Time to grow up.

"You have the opportunity to get a computer engineering degree and eventually make twenty times the money you would EVER make in Thailand."

OR he could have the opportunity to get himself into a mountain of debt with no job like more and more kids in his generation. A lot of people graduating college these days are working at Starbucks(!)

the one GREAT thing that this OP has going for him is TWO passports, Thailand and USA...He can work wherever he wants doing whatever he wants....even if that means menial jobs in either country, at least he hast he ability to come and go without any hinderance and can call two countries "home" which is pretty incredible and something to be proud of...

• Like 1

Quit whining and pinning for something you do not have at the moment...do not do stupid...get your education FIRST...suck it up...get on with the task at hand...then you can write your own ticket when you return to Thailand...

Thank Buddha or God or your Mother for the opportunities you have before you...many kids your age would love to trade places with you...take advantage of you good fortune...

Put a smile on your face as you tackle your studies...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Most sharp people have a bachelor's degree by the age of 22. I had my first master's at 23.

It appears that you have already been spending some time dilly-dallying.

I'm sorry, but do you have any idea how pompous and elitist that statement makes you sound? First of all what is the relevance to you getting a masters at 23, let alone "your FIRST one" The mentioning of your educational situation comes so far out of left field. "Dilly Dallying"? I can only hope you are being Ironic/tongue in cheek....some people move slower than others, some people structure their lives differently. Maybe he traveled and learned that way, maybe he had a job that trained him in a certain skill....I don't think its dilly dallying at all....the kid is 23 has two passports and is asking leg imitate questions about his future...Me? I think he's right on track and I'm giving him all my support without throwing in needless comments

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Finish your engineering degree , will open up doors for you all of your life and allow you to work anywhere in the world . Much harder to do that if you do not have a degree, Just suffer it for another couple of years .

"I go to school for free" You mean if you come to Thailand ? ,The free schools are free for a reason

Stick at it mate , you're only young , you have the rest of your life to come to Thailand

Exactly,...Wise words....from Expratt. sounds like my father and he was also a wise man....

Well, Thai 777, do you know how much a auto Mechanic makes in a month here in Thailand ???+/- 9000 / 10000 Thb at the max. most don't make that....and they have to get real dirty every day.

You write and probably speak excellent English, this is a big advantage compared to most Thais, you should take that advantage with both hands and make it even greater. Learn as much as you can. Education in the US is probably a lot better than in the land of Smiles (LOS)...some African countries have a better education system than Thailand....most Thais don't have the chance you have....Finish that engineering degree, and you could make a lot more money sitting on your arse than those mechanics crawling under cars in the grease...no disrespect to the Mechanics...but that's the power of education....invest your time in that engineering degree and you will reap greater rewards later....and later is a lot more longer than that couple of years to study....

Good luck....

Thailand is fine if you have money, but coming here looking for employment ??? No I don't think so....

Unless you really feel your roots are here, that's fine.

Myself personally I would stick it out in the States, get my Education and take it from there.

I get the part about getting my education here, but I can't stay here all my life, I just wouldnt be happy.

My advice is contrary to most....

You lost your motivation...to succeed in higher education, as I did. Take a six month break, and come back to Thailand. You will soon discover that you gave up easily, what many people are so envious of....a chance of a successful career. Six months of struggling to make ends meet, will set you back on the right path.

Retire early, if you want. Did you ever consider MSC or Merchant Marine (Shipping)? Good money, and the potential to advance your education at their expense. Also, plenty of time off to hang out in Thailand, between assignments. It is something I wish for my son to discover, as I would like him to spend his off time here in Asia, get to retire fairly early, and get started right off the bat getting himself a homestead where he was born, as well as one in the USA. (Dual Citizen).

Look into that. You can get started right away, as an Able Bodied Seaman. (Not military). Nice way to get out and about.

Yes, thanks for this bit of advice. I am seriously looking into this now. Would you mind telling me more?

Thailand is fine if you have money, but coming here looking for employment ??? No I don't think so....

Unless you really feel your roots are here, that's fine.

Myself personally I would stick it out in the States, get my Education and take it from there.

From there means making $$$$$$s in USA and returning to Thai in 2040 or so................................hahahaha!

Soryy

but the villagers want out of the village and you want to go in. If you like outdoor living with the Hmong Hillbilles then so be it. If not id rethink your priorities.

This is not true. Most Thais I have met would prefer to stay in Thailand and only a select few want to go to the USA. Even my mother prefers to live in Thailand but she is here because she wants to be able to make money.

Actually I do enjoy outdoor living with Hmong hillbillies. I find Hmong girls to be very attractive and they have a traditional charm that Thai women seem to have lost but many Lao women still have.

Preferably, I'd want a Burmese or a hilltribe wife from Northern Thailand. No Thai girls for me. If I wait till 2040 they will probably all be just like Thai girls.

• Like 1

This is not true. Most Thais I have met would prefer to stay in Thailand and only a select few want to go to the USA. Even my mother prefers to live in Thailand but she is here because she wants to be able to make money.

From there means making $$$$$$s in USA and returning to Thai in 2040 or so................................hahahaha!

Soryy

but the villagers want out of the village and you want to go in. If you like outdoor living with the Hmong Hillbilles then so be it. If not id rethink your priorities.

Actually I do enjoy outdoor living with Hmong hillbillies. I find Hmong girls to be very attractive and they have a traditional charm that Thai women seem to have lost but many Lao women still have.

Preferably, I'd want a Burmese or a hilltribe wife from Northern Thailand. No Thai girls for me. If I wait till 2040 they will probably all be just like Thai girls.

I'm going to come and visit you when you make it over here man! lol

I'm a loog krueng from Chiang Rai, so I can empathise about that last part. wink.png

Dedicate the next few years to your engineering and any other skill you can learn. Yes auto-repair. If you have a job, save every penny you can. If not, get a job. Then when you go back.....you will have skills, professional abilities and money to get you started.

My wife married me in 2010 and we save all her pay checks. She now has enough to build a house and buy a business in Thailand and still have money left over. You have lots of years to get the right woman and start a family.....I am 70 years old and still moving forward.

You are probably right, I don't have any arguments to conjure up. Well, I guess I just have to endure this, could be worse though, my life at this point is not so bad.

Sounds like you may have found the wrong company in the U.S. of A. as to your boredom and loss of drive. At your young age spouting this nonsense surely suggests the use of wacky tobbaky ( cannabis sativa ) the recreation of listlessness and no drive causing complete boredom and total lack of motivation.

No harm in reading this...

http://www.ehow.com/how_6584316_merchant-marine-card.html

This is an option, that I never considered (I spent 22 years in the military for the early retirement). Some folks find the military too restrictive. I have several friends who did both the Merchant Marine and the MSC route. They were give educational opportunities, based on their own capabilities. Sometimes, you go out on ship for only 3 to 6 months, accumulating good starting pay. You can hang out in Thailand and fly back for your next cruise, an even attend courses (I think in the USA). You want to sail under the US flag...(more pay).

I think starting pay for boots on the deck is more than 100 usd per day. The work might be quite menial, at first...but you can volunteer for watch duty, galley or pilot house assistant...it you are motivated. An outgoing guy with a lot of initiative would look into what they can offer, educationally. Diesel Mechanic, Electronics, Radio, Plumbing, Ship Engineering....(that one I am not sure of).

You sound bored...you do not want to just hang around the beaches renting out umbrellas.

Try this out...and get your hands dirty. You may find other routes, inbetween, for education.

Money is alot better than military pay......I joined the military for other reasons, than the pay.... staying out of jail was the primary one. Looking back, I would of done the Merchant Marine route.

Edited by slipperylobster

As others have mentioned, you're at the beginning of your life and although it may not appeal to you right now, skill sets are paramount in today's world and without them, you're just another drifter looking for short term work.

This article documents the current professional jobs for which there is a shortage in Thailand and the salaries they command: http://www.robertwalters.co.uk/wwwmedialibrary/WWW2/global/content/salary-survey/robert-walters-2014-salary-survey/thailand.pdf

First, I am sure your are mistaken about eligibility for military service in the U.S.A. - I went from Canada to the States into the U.S. Marine Corps, where I met people from many other countries; people say different things about this military eligibility/prohibition but the fact is there is no restriction on nationality in the U.S. Other countries have different regulations.

That said, I am not advising you to go into the military. I am advising you to take to heart the tips from all of the older people who have responded to your Post - you do have opportunities that few people ever have and some people really want you to not make the mistakes that we have made.

That said I offer you a couple thoughts: you do have this wonderful freedom now that will last only for a moment. Take a minute to chill and just appreciate it. Tomorrow? everything changes: tomorrow could bring a health crisis; tomorrow you could fall in love - not that that is such a bad thing - but you lose your freedom when that special woman takes over your life - for good or ill.

I don't want to push you to work hard at your education (though that would be a good thing ) if you don't feel passionate about it now. Think about "community colleges". In California junior college is free for you. If you have the means to survive while going there. Not to find your calling - but to be cool, enjoy your youth, meet people from all over the world, including chicks - low intensity schooling, chance to study the martial arts....-you can pass some time living in a sheltered slice of American life among students, generally younger than you, some of whom would look up to you, some of whom are retired age, some are retarded - an experience you won't regret. It worked for me.

Holding you AA degree, many credits towards your B.A. which you can get back to sometime, you may have found your passion for electrical engineering, or teaching, or poetry or making candles or driving trucks.... I know life in America sucks - too much violence and pollution and unhealthy stress - unless you have work that you love it grinds you down. Point is if you don't care to live in that rat race...

The second thought I have to offer you is to go to Thailand, to the villages in the North, where i have been privileged to visit and where you will be welcomed. Sure you can get a job teaching English - to rich, spoiled Thai kids - and the pay sucks. But you make your money tutoring farangs in Thai on the side. You can visit the villages of Northern Thailand, even the ones where they don't have electricity. You can teach English to the tribal peoples. Hell, you can teach Thai to the villagers. If there are no jobs available to do this - you can appy for a grant to establish a school - (you learned how to apply for a grant while in Junior College) and you met Americans back in school who sponsor such projects (e.g Lions Club?) as building rural schools (and pharmacies and building solar-powered water purification systems and solar cookers - to save on burning fossil fuels, ) ...

Having taken writing classes in junior college, and travel writing in Chiang Mai, you will naturally write articles for publication in Thai and English magazines - maybe even for pay.

I have a B.A. in anthropology and I wish I had the opportunity to do some of the things I have suggested to you. But when I went to Thailand circumstances - I was too old already - could not legally teach English with a retirement visa, et cetera - I did not get to spend time in the villages. I visited a village in Pitsanalok (where my g/f was from) where they have one electrical line bringing DC power into every home (Because of a Thai politician, whose name I won't mention because of the controversy around him). And I have been in villages in the hills near C.M., where they don't have these modern amenities - where you might find you belong there.

Working as or chang or electrician in Thailand would be maddening. They don't know what they are doing. Inspectors pass construction projects because they receive bribes. You could not handle it. There is still design engineering - building multi-speed windshield washers, or new computer games. If you develope a passion for that kind of thing - whether you live in the rat race in America or in the L.O.S. But at least you tke a shot - at doing something that is "right work" and that you could love.

Choke dii krap.

Your degree is your key to a good life, a degree from a first world

country in English is worth gold and remember once you have it

it's yours for life, if i could go back i would get an astronaut

degree no matter what, and remember it's a chick magnate.

Dear OP

Just to be a bit touchy-feely: If you're not enjoying life is there any chance you could have depression? Always worth ruling out before making major life choices. And in any case see if you can find a nice student counsellor at your school to talk through your career options. I know a lot of people are saying man up and take it, but you're 22 and should be enjoying life even if studying. Have you got a decent social life there?

But in any case I would heavily advise you to finish school. Plan some rewards each break. Get a part time job to save for trips to Thailand in vacation time. Good luck

You can join the US military. While active duty myself I was personally assigned with guys who did not have a US citizenship. They were required to get their citizenship before reenlisting for a second time. If you are interested in school the military is a great option because of the GI bill. Maybe you will not finish your degree while active duty but earning the GI bill will allow you to go to school afterward and get paid for it.....even in Thailand! The GI bill not only pays for the school but also pays you a living allowance while in school.

Maybe if he's lucky he will get sent to Iraq to fight ISIS. rolleyes.gif

FYI: He's already a USC.

I know he's already a citizen, I was just pointing out that being not being a citizen or dual citizen will not block him from military service.

Also not all career fields in the military are on the front lines fighting.

True, but you do not necessarily get to choose those fields. ANYONE could end up on (or very near) the front line, other than, maybe, a dentist.

Edited by moto77

I might prefer to live in Bangkok, or **MAYBE** Chiang Mai, but not the rural northeast--talk about boring. rolleyes.gif

Fortunately I travel back and forth between the US, Bangkok and Hong Kong so I don't have time to get bored anywhere. I have this luxury because I finished my education. Yeah, I hated school--it sucked. But now, I'm glad I did it. I can't imagine being stuck in a dead end desk job.

Or would you rather be working in some go-go bar in Pattaya, selling yourself to some fat farang for 500 baht?

in Thailand.... you might be whistling a different tune.

This isn't a joke. I was chatting with a dual passport half Japanese woman that left Japan and came to Thailand because she was sick of Japan. Turns out she fell on hard times and ended up doing just that. I was shocked, and that's not easy.