Feeling sick of the USA, desperately want to return to Thailand

Tai777

You can join the US military. While active duty myself I was personally assigned with guys who did not have a US citizenship. They were required to get their citizenship before reenlisting for a second time. If you are interested in school the military is a great option because of the GI bill. Maybe you will not finish your degree while active duty but earning the GI bill will allow you to go to school afterward and get paid for it.....even in Thailand! The GI bill not only pays for the school but also pays you a living allowance while in school.

Maybe if he's lucky he will get sent to Iraq to fight ISIS. rolleyes.gif

FYI: He's already a USC.

Edited by moto77

I don't think the USA sucks, people here are more open minded and less judgmental than in SE Asia, but it is a very boring place to live, and I think some neighborhoods here are more dangerous than anywhere in Thailand, (except maybe Pattani)

At least in SE Asia the women aren't complete feminists, but they will still suck your blood and leave you empty handed.

What exactly is boring you in the USA? What city do you live in now? Why would living in rural northern Thailand be exciting? Can you finish school somewhere more rural in the USA? Also every city has very clean, nice safe neighborhoods that are easy to find. A move might be a good idea or do some travel in the USA this summer when you are off. Try Vermont or Montana or Maine.

• Like 1

Don't get carried away. Having a U.S. bachelor's degree doesn't exactly translate to guaranteed riches. For many, it is a passport to lifetime debt, and don't forget all the 30 year olds living in parent's basements ... coffee1.gif

True, but going back to Thailand with a US Engineering degree is a different story.

I'm still reading between the lines here.

Engineering is not an easy degree in the U.S.

Perhaps the O.P. isn't up to that academically.

It would be better to choose a program that he is capable of finishing than not finishing at all.

Also you never know, the O.P. may ultimately decide to stay in the U.S. or move back. Having a bachelor's degree is what having a high school diploma used to be ... BASIC.

Most decent jobs in Thailand or the U.S. will just automatically weed out those without.

Another thought ... for someone who is interested, the U.S. is a great place to practice trades like plumbing, High pay, high demand, and can't be outsourced!

So college doesn't need to be for everyone ... but for someone who isn't really sure what they want to do, it's good to have while you're in a waiting pattern.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

You can join the US military. While active duty myself I was personally assigned with guys who did not have a US citizenship. They were required to get their citizenship before reenlisting for a second time. If you are interested in school the military is a great option because of the GI bill. Maybe you will not finish your degree while active duty but earning the GI bill will allow you to go to school afterward and get paid for it.....even in Thailand! The GI bill not only pays for the school but also pays you a living allowance while in school.

Maybe if he's lucky he will get sent to Iraq to fight ISIS. rolleyes.gif

FYI: He's already a USC.

I know he's already a citizen, I was just pointing out that being not being a citizen or dual citizen will not block him from military service.

Also not all career fields in the military are on the front lines fighting.

Looks like you've gotten a lot of responses. The best ones are the ones telling you that you have an opportunity right now that many Thai kids will never have. Not many people will be impressed with you if you return to Thailand without at least a Bachelor Degree.

A different suggestion: You actually are in a better position than most anyone else. Instead of quitting the college, talk with someone about taking time off. You say your mother is there for another couple years - and you say you have U.S. citizenship. You could take some time off - explore your opportunities in Thailand for a few months to a year - then decide what is best for you. At least you won't have to tell anyone that you just up and quit your degree program. Who knows, maybe while you are taking time off, you will have better revelations about your role in life.

Further to the above suggestion: There is a lot that America takes away from you that you don't know about until you go back to where you (believe) you want to be. It seems like the time is ripe for you to take some time away from the U.S.A, go to the backwoods village of your choice, try to live there for awhile, and see what happens. Sometimes, when you get away from the noise, you can hear your intuition.

Chok Dee

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I don't think the USA sucks, people here are more open minded and less judgmental than in SE Asia, but it is a very boring place to live, and I think some neighborhoods here are more dangerous than anywhere in Thailand, (except maybe Pattani)

At least in SE Asia the women aren't complete feminists, but they will still suck your blood and leave you empty handed.

What exactly is boring you in the USA? What city do you live in now? Why would living in rural northern Thailand be exciting? Can you finish school somewhere more rural in the USA? Also every city has very clean, nice safe neighborhoods that are easy to find. A move might be a good idea or do some travel in the USA this summer when you are off. Try Vermont or Montana or Maine.

The USA is a very orderly place. In SE Asia you can cruise around everywhere on a motorbike, and you know all your neighbors and you eat together, you drink together. In the USA, you don't even know the names of your neighbors and even if you did they wouldn't invite you into their homes for drinks and food.

I'm not complaining about the ghettos in the USA, I was simply stating that they exist. I don't live in the ghetto. I was merely stating that the US has more of a distant and reserved culture. Rural villages in Thailand are definitely fun, people who say otherwise don't know how to live in that type of environment. You can catch fish, frogs, crabs etc. and be among nature.

Looks like you've gotten a lot of responses. The best ones are the ones telling you that you have an opportunity right now that many Thai kids will never have. Not many people will be impressed with you if you return to Thailand without at least a Bachelor Degree.

A different suggestion: You actually are in a better position than most anyone else. Instead of quitting the college, talk with someone about taking time off. You say your mother is there for another couple years - and you say you have U.S. citizenship. You could take some time off - explore your opportunities in Thailand for a few months to a year - then decide what is best for you. At least you won't have to tell anyone that you just up and quit your degree program. Who knows, maybe while you are taking time off, you will have better revelations about your role in life.

Further to the above suggestion: There is a lot that America takes away from you that you don't know about until you go back to where you (believe) you want to be. It seems like the time is ripe for you to take some time away from the U.S.A, go to the backwoods village of your choice, try to live there for awhile, and see what happens. Sometimes, when you get away from the noise, you can hear your intuition.

Chok Dee

Actually I haven't quit yet, I was just considering it.

A lot of good advice, and I agree will several of the posters - finish your degree - The world is changing so much and you are young - If I were you - I would finish my engineering degree and set my sights on Alternate Energy, Solar, Thermal, Wind - the opportunities are endless in that field, most of the business in that arena are foreign, who would jump at hiring any Thai with a degree from abroad in that subject.................reconsider your options.thumbsup.gif

I have found almost no Thai and virtually no Westerner has the skills to be a real electrician IN THAILAND.

I recommend vocational school for three months in USA in electrician school. Be sure to make them teach you about two wire, no ground, 220volt systems like here.

You will be covered up with requests to work and at top money if you demand it, and u can get it. Thaivisa members alone, could make you a fortune with their needs.

• Like 1

Engineering degree from America will open many doors anywhere you go. If you are having difficulty with your courses perhaps lower your standards a little and get a BET degree. It's a 4 year technical degree that is well rounded with Engineering and business. Not easy but not as difficult as say an EE degree. That will set you up for something in manufacturing or technical sales with an international company in Thailand. That is if you also speak, read an write Thai and English.

A few years now and your life will be set for the next 40 years. It would be a major mistake to quit now !!!

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The USA is a very orderly place. In SE Asia you can cruise around everywhere on a motorbike, and you know all your neighbors and you eat together, you drink together. In the USA, you don't even know the names of your neighbors and even if you did they wouldn't invite you into their homes for drinks and food.

I'm not complaining about the ghettos in the USA, I was simply stating that they exist. I don't live in the ghetto. I was merely stating that the US has more of a distant and reserved culture. Rural villages in Thailand are definitely fun, people who say otherwise don't know how to live in that type of environment. You can catch fish, frogs, crabs etc. and be among nature.

Chok Dee

Actually I haven't quit yet, I was just considering it.

Okay. Thanks for your honest response. I know you are aware of incredibly beautiful nature and places to catch fish, crabs and frogs exist in the USA. There are also tons of small towns where every single person will know you after a short time and if you have any personality it is easy to make friends. Unlike cities or suburbs which I think are hard unless you join clubs or join sports groups. But you sound home sick. Why not go to northern Thailand this summer break? Take 2 or 3 months and explore both nature and possible work opportunities. You really should finish a school program and get some kind of beneficial degree that you will value later in life. Many second and third year students feel as you do. I could be wrong but life in the Thai village at 21 or 22 might be exciting and fun but you soon will be 30 or 40 or 50 and you still will need a way to provide for yourself and perhaps a wife and kids. Will you want a typical village life then? I don't know that kind of life at all but many posters are familiar with the average adult male in Northern Thai villages lives. Maybe they can add what kind of life they think they have good or bad. Also I could be wrong but with a decent job a house in the outskirts of Chang Mai or somewhere else which I hope for you and you should hope for yourself, you might not fit into the village life as much as you would just being a motorcycle riding frog catching dude. Also when the bike breaks down or you need a new car you could buy it for yourself with a little success and not have to rely on your kids for support. Just a few thoughts. Good luck! Please finish some type of college or specialized degree.

Engineering has got to be one of the best paying and most secure professions in the world.

Until it isn't. Ever heard of the business cycle? Like all things supply and demand determines what you are paid. Ask the mining engineers now how secure their jobs are.

A friend and myself graduated mechanical engineering about 20 years ago and both of us ended up working in finance simply becuase there were not enough engineering jobs. Would I now be able to get a job in engineering? Not a chance. But I did make nice income in finance.

Edited by Time Traveller
  • Like 1

Right now I live with my mom, she is working here but she wants to go back in a couple of years and I go to school for free. At first I was super-motivated to be an engineer or something, but now I lost all that and I just want to learn some useful skills such as fixing autos, I don't have any passion left for school.

I say go to THAINLAN imeediately. After a short while you will get that urge to be in America again...................lol.

Not having trouble just yet with my degree, but bad teachers are making it harder to get by. I still need to take about 2 years of math and physics before I can do the engineering stuff.

I have no way of knowing your academic aptitude so I'm not being judgmental here.

Physics is really hard and a lot of people will stumble with that.

If you are having any academic trouble at this stage, junior college first two years, I would consider that a warning sign about risk not to graduate a four year program. It might be a gross generalization but my impression is that junior college courses are often not any more challenging than high school courses and at most four year colleges the challenges will be stepped up quite a bit.

If any of this seems relevant to you, I'm sure you probably have counseling resources where you are studying which might help you choose a path with a better chance of four year success, and also hopefully less boring for you.

I do agree with the consensus, if you can get ANY kind of four year degree in the USA (and don't have to go into massive debt to get it!), you will avoid the later inevitable regret if you don't.

Also the last time I checked, the majority of Americans who start college never finish, so the issue of figuring out a way to finish is not trivial.

Edited by Jingthing

interesting...I am feeling sick of Thailand and desperately want to return to the USA....just can't right now

Snarky comment perhaps but there is something there.

People can often be very poor predictors of what they will want to do 5 or 10 years from now or how they will feel after a major move, such as to Thailand.

Getting the degree keeps the options open and better in both countries.

My advice is contrary to most....

You lost your motivation...to succeed in higher education, as I did. Take a six month break, and come back to Thailand. You will soon discover that you gave up easily, what many people are so envious of....a chance of a successful career. Six months of struggling to make ends meet, will set you back on the right path.

Retire early, if you want. Did you ever consider MSC or Merchant Marine (Shipping)? Good money, and the potential to advance your education at their expense. Also, plenty of time off to hang out in Thailand, between assignments. It is something I wish for my son to discover, as I would like him to spend his off time here in Asia, get to retire fairly early, and get started right off the bat getting himself a homestead where he was born, as well as one in the USA. (Dual Citizen).

Look into that. You can get started right away, as an Able Bodied Seaman. (Not military). Nice way to get out and about.

• Like 1

interesting...I am feeling sick of Thailand and desperately want to return to the USA....just can't right now

Snarky comment perhaps but there is something there.

People can often be very poor predictors of what they will want to do 5 or 10 years from now or how they will feel after a major move, such as to Thailand.

Getting the degree keeps the options open and better in both countries.

I don't think it was really snarky, more a sad reality. I went to culinary school but came to Thailand after traveling around southeast Asia and now I have taught English for 3 years and am getting to an age (26) where I need to figure out the long term plan and what country its gonna be in....I would have waited to do Thailand/SE asia in the LATTER part of my life

• Like 1

22 stuck in thailand on your resume. your going to be lost dude.

get a degree and some work experience. you can explain a gap year at that age, but when you get older finding a job is going to be hell if your loafing around.

you will end up wanting to return to the us on a teachers salary here living in a box. likely slowly running out of money.

Thailand is fine if you have money, but coming here looking for employment ??? No I don't think so....

Unless you really feel your roots are here, that's fine.

Myself personally I would stick it out in the States, get my Education and take it from there.

From there means making $$$$$$s in USA and returning to Thai in 2040 or so................................hahahaha!

Soryy

but the villagers want out of the village and you want to go in. If you like outdoor living with the Hmong Hillbilles then so be it. If not id rethink your priorities.

Edited by Rajhulmaheesh