Feeling sick of the USA, desperately want to return to Thailand

Tai777

youve been given a MASSIVE opportunity your fellow Thais either pay an arm and 2 legs for "if" they can even afford it and you want to throw it away................Ok come here set up a noodle stall and do that for 40 years, retire penniless and die of some disease you cant afford to treat..................wise up kid!!

• Like 1

You do need to get real "fixing autos" ? Why you? Why not one of the other Thai kids looking for the same job...kids that didn't have your opportunities .

"Lost interest" Time to grow up up son. World don't work that way. Teaching English, well you're Thai, no degree, for that particular option your value is pretty close to zero. Marginal value .

If you don't have the "whatever" to grasp the opportunities you have in the US prior to considering coming back here to work....end of.

I agree!

The op will get older a lot faster than he knows. Then it will be too late.

Thailand won't fix his 'boring and depressing' problem. Only he can.

Maybe the op should talk to some people that never had his opportunities (or pissed them away).

I wonder what his mother thinks.

Right now I live with my mom, she is working here but she wants to go back in a couple of years and I go to school for free. At first I was super-motivated to be an engineer or something, but now I lost all that and I just want to learn some useful skills such as fixing autos, I don't have any passion left for school.

Sure you could do that...work for someone performing a skill of some kind....but it does not pay well at all...for 90 % of the jobs you could secure.

If you want to be a mechanical type of person then figure out how to be an independent contractor or start your own auto and or motorcycle repair shop and make a name for yourself and your shop and provide good value and honesty to your clients.

There is huge potential in the automotive sectors while more and more cars and trucks and vehicles of all kinds including motorcycles are being purchased there develops a need for maintenance and or repair services or customizing services.

That is what I would do.

Cheers

Brother, you should spend a few minutes and read every post here again; you have a lot of wise information here. Most of us were/are just like you, with differeing opportunities. The guys with the most sound advice probably recognize in you opportunities they did not have, thus their wisdom should be considered well. When you make a short, mid, and long term plan it can motivate you to aim toward your prize. The prize is not in leaving the US or arriving here. The prize is establishing a quality of life that enables you to actually live the dream you aim for. Without question, education is the most important thing. It really is. But like others, I understand your distaste for the US. I was also eager to leave. Good luck.

Reading between the lines ("was working") in your statement:

Right now I am 22 years old, male and in a junior college. I was working towards my Bachelor's degree here in the USA but I completely lost interest and I desperately want to go back to Thailand, life here is too boring and depressing for me.

Have you already dropped out?

For what it's worth, when people get older they almost always regret stopping their education too early with a few famous exceptions of course.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Let me relate a true story to you young man. My Thai wife and I have been married 44 years. She was previously married and had one son. We brought him to the USA when he was 9 or 10. He got a high school education, learned English then got a factory job. He went to night school at Junior College, then applied with a major USA airline got a job as an international flight attendant because he was bilingual, great job. Now here's where he screwed up, being a flight attendant wasn't good enough, so he takes flying lessons so he could run with the big dogs. He got just enough ratings so he made the cockpit as a third seat flight engineer. Then he moves back to Thailand, blows money like water,marries a trophy wife, has two children, gets divorced, and now don't have a pot to piss in. You're very young stay in school, get a degree or a valuable trade. Thailand is a hard place for a young man to get a start. By the way is there a young lady some how evolved here?

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Right now I live with my mom, she is working here but she wants to go back in a couple of years and I go to school for free. At first I was super-motivated to be an engineer or something, but now I lost all that and I just want to learn some useful skills such as fixing autos, I don't have any passion left for school.

Finish your engineering degree , will open up doors for you all of your life and allow you to work anywhere in the world . Much harder to do that if you do not have a degree, Just suffer it for another couple of years .

"I go to school for free" You mean if you come to Thailand ? ,The free schools are free for a reason

Stick at it mate , you're only young , you have the rest of your life to come to Thailand

I agree completely and speak from experience. I wanted to leave the old country when young but was talked into finishing a BSEE and did so. I have never had a problem getting a well paying and interesting job all over the world. It would have been very different if I had set out without that degree. A few years fly by and pay and pay and pay back for many years to come. Your Thai citizenship will be valid later but your opportunity to get that degree in the USA is your brass ring. Only for a few years. Grab it and hold on tight. It is real and will turn to gold.

Reading between the lines ("was working") in your statement:

Right now I am 22 years old, male and in a junior college. I was working towards my Bachelor's degree here in the USA but I completely lost interest and I desperately want to go back to Thailand, life here is too boring and depressing for me.

Have you already dropped out?

For what it's worth, when people get older they almost always regret stopping their education too early with a few famous exceptions of course.

I haven't dropped out yet, I'm still in a community college.

To the post directly above, sorry, I forgot to quote it, but no there is no young lady involved, though I do miss shagging Southeast Asian ladies.

I'm not the type to want a trophy wife, though I find the women of the golden triangle to be very attractive.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for all the useful advice. I will listen to the majority, which says to stay in school.

Don't listen to all the negativity. If you can't cut it in America then move to Thailand. It shouldn't be too hard for you to find a 300 baht a day job with all of your skills in Thailand, even with the 1 million Burmese immgrants who are prepared to work for less...

He just may be too young to understand your wisdom.clap2.gif

I feel joining the armed forces might be a waste of time, as it would slow down my educational progress. I'm not sure actually, but I had just heard it was illegal, or maybe just for certain ranks/positions. I'm not too knowledgeable about this topic.

I had to go through the draft in Thailand as well, but luckily I didn't get a red card.

Regardless, I still want to explore Northern Thailand, which to me is the most beautiful part of Thailand, I also like Laos but I wouldn't dream of living there, you can't make any money.

The other side of the armed forces argument would be from the Thai side. If you return to Thailand, on your Thai ID, would you not be eligible for conscription at such an age?

This could change from voluntary (in the states) to compulsory (in Thailand).

I don't think the USA sucks, people here are more open minded and less judgmental than in SE Asia, but it is a very boring place to live, and I think some neighborhoods here are more dangerous than anywhere in Thailand, (except maybe Pattani)

At least in SE Asia the women aren't complete feminists, but they will still suck your blood and leave you empty handed.

• Like 1

Thai, you have a golden opportunity to get a degree from the USA which will follow you all of your life and be worth a lot more than a degree from SE Asia. You would have opportunities with dual language to get jobs with US, Japanese or other companies doing engineering and rise far above most Thais economically.

Just stick it out. This is your big chance that most Thais never get.

• Like 1

Thank you for the replies, I really appreciate them.

I'm not exactly mathematically gifted, maybe just about average, but I know that I want to do something in the STEM fields. I couldn't forgive myself if I did something like Psychology or Sociology.

I know that all the money and skills and pretty much the future of the world lies in STEM, and I can get better at math if I practice.

Edited by Tai777

Engineering has got to be one of the best paying and most secure professions in the world. The adaptability of the knowledge you will gain in this degree is unbelieveable. Stick with it, in the end you will never regret the decision to keep going and finish. What you may need now is other side interests like vocational courses you can do in the afternoon, at night or the weekend to use that valuable time you have now in the U.S. As my old maths tutor used to say: "here's some work to keep you off the streets for awhile" biggrin.png

LOL... you must be kidding. You want to work for third world wages as a laborer?

FYI: It is against the law to teach English in Thailand without a bachelor's degree. Thailand is becoming more and more strict about "English teachers". You really want to live your life one step ahead of the law like a lot of other losers here? I guess, at least, you are Thai, so you can't be booted, but 40,000 THB per month is play money.

Stop being silly and feeling sorry for yourself. It's just a few years. Suck it up and finish your degree in the US. Millions of people in the world would love to trade places with you. Don't be a fool--you'll regret it. Once you have some real money, then come back and live like a king.

Edited by moto77
  • Like 1

don't know how lucky you are ,most thai would love to be in your shoes ,return to thailand ,see how happy you are working for 200 BT a Day ,my daughter ,worked for 7000bt month ,then had to pay for her room food ,nearly impossible to live on that ,she came to france ,started work the day should got here get paid 64000 bt month ,wake up ,get trade ,get job ,get life

• Like 1

You can join the US military. While active duty myself I was personally assigned with guys who did not have a US citizenship. They were required to get their citizenship before reenlisting for a second time. If you are interested in school the military is a great option because of the GI bill. Maybe you will not finish your degree while active duty but earning the GI bill will allow you to go to school afterward and get paid for it.....even in Thailand! The GI bill not only pays for the school but also pays you a living allowance while in school.

Don't get carried away. Having a U.S. bachelor's degree doesn't exactly translate to guaranteed riches. For many, it is a passport to lifetime debt, and don't forget all the 30 year olds living in parent's basements ... coffee1.gif

True, but going back to Thailand with a US Engineering degree is a different story.

• Like 2