Prayut brushes aside reconciliation talk with Thaksin

webfact

"Gen Prayut made clear that his position now could not afford him to hold talk with Thaksin or to designate any representative to to act on his behalf as it would be against the law."

Heaven forbid he should want to break the law; like seizing power for himself from the democratically elected government and tearing up the constitution. Very droll.

"democratically elected"

Yawn

Are you aware that you are missing a few very important facts?

democracy is not election only

Im not sure what you are trying to say, there are a number of types of democracy, e.g.Elected and leadership are 2 examples,

The claim that the previous administration was democratically elected is a matter of fact , you may not agree with their policies, actions or standards , however a set of rules in order to carry out an election was put in place and everybody had an opportunity to cast a vote on an equal basis

• Like 1

Are people who hold illegal coups criminals, or is that just those who actually get elected with large majorities? I think there is an element of glass houses and stone throwing here.

how many more protesters should have died before you say its ok for a coup then................chalem would love someone like you batting for his side..

Returning to the topic of reconciliation

Unfortunately we do not live in a world that is simply black and white, right or wrong, the issues about reconciliation surround a balancing act , should it simply be ignored at all costs regardless of its outcome and consequences or is there a wider benefit to simply making compromises and letting bygones be.

For the love of God, will you read what you have written? You're a clot if you think the anti-Thaksinistas believe it all starts and ends with the grubby one. Honestly, how dumb can you get. Everyone knows the history of corruption. - and that the grub is just the latest manifestation. He just happens to be the most greedy, rapacious, diabolical of all. And his time is now, not last century. And he must be wiped out NOW, not next century. For the love of God. smile.png

Bless, you really have it all worked out sport, don`t you? thumbsup.gif

I`m anti Thaksin as well. His main claim to fame was his autocratic rule meant the country was now pillaged to the benefit of a slightly different set of crooks. Following Khun Prayuth`s intervention it`s back to the original group of crooks who have dominated the country for centuries. Yay! blink.png

If you don`t have the intelligence to understand what the military/elite grouping represents don`t get angry and result to name calling - go out and read and educate yourself wai.gif

So, ignoramus isn't an insult? Oh dear. And you presume to have more intelligence than the rest of us? Oh dear, again. Actually, I was hoping my post might have been read a bit more tongue-in-cheek, but I guess I'll have to mark it as a fail, at least as far as you are concerned.

I really don't care if you are anti-Thaksin. Just stop presuming that we don't know what is going on, and that you are the only one who does. Oops -- I've just insulted you again. You seem to be flogging this horse. Back in 1989 I happen to meet Chatichai Choonhavan in Soi 22 - I was checking out a motorbike, and he happened to be friends with the owner. He was none too pleased when I dropped the expression "buffet cabinet".

But I don't know what that means. Please enlighten me, wise one. :) (please, please note the smiley)

• Like 1

Are people who hold illegal coups criminals, or is that just those who actually get elected with large majorities? I think there is an element of glass houses and stone throwing here.

Lawyer: Here is the law book. It says you cannot do that.

Army dude: Here is my tank. It says I can.

So, do you think a PM should start talks with a criminal fugitive who caused troubles to the country by becoming too greedy? A criminal fugitive who still has problem to even acknowledge that there might possibly be one or two minor things he could have done better.

First up, Thaksin is probably a corrupt snake and Thailand is better off without him. However, he has never had a fair trial in my opinion. And never will while Thailand is in the grip of the military. He took a few hands out of the cookie jar and they didn't like it. Let's be honest about this at least. If TS is a criminal, why aren't you asking why Thailand has so many multi millionaire generals in its ranks? Rich relatives? Pffff. Sure lol. And why has Thailand had so many coups before TS was even on the scene? And why a few of those PMs also became 'criminal fugitives'. History repeats itself in Thailand, but many refuse to see why.

Thaksin is no angel. However, acts of treason trump anything he did.

Like you I'm no fan of Thaksin, but I still manage to stay a bit objective. You probably refer to the "landplot" trial resulting in a verdict of "conflict-of-interest' and a sentence to two years imprisonment. Had Thaksin been here instead of jumping bail (he solemn promised to return from the Olympics) he might even have gotten a suspended sentence as first offender. Other cases awaits his return, so too early to talk about fair/unfair trials.

Mind you there was at least one very fair trial where Thaksin was found not guilty, een though he didn't get a Oscar nomination for his teary eyes. The court rules that there was a case of 'honest' mistake. Later one judge said something like 'how could we find him guilty, he had just won an election' as if that absolve one.

BTW what acts of treason you refer to?

Edited by rubl
  • Like 1

Unfortunately we do not live in a world that is simply black and white, right or wrong, the issues about reconciliation surround a balancing act , should it simply be ignored at all costs regardless of its outcome and consequences or is there a wider benefit to simply making compromises and letting bygones be.

Absolutely.

Still somehow the bygones seem to be for a large part on one side, the side where a criminal fugitive has no problem creating chaos to get what he wants. A criminal who even 'democratically' skyped in into cabinet meetings of his sister to order his cabinet to do what he wanted.

So, let bygones be, mostly advocated by those who have the most to win from it.

Are people who hold illegal coups criminals, or is that those who actually get elected with large majorities? I think there is an element of glass houses and stone throwing here.

Jacky54.... pray tell..... what is an illegal coup....? blink.png

• Like 2

Absolutely.

Still somehow the bygones seem to be for a large part on one side, the side where a criminal fugitive has no problem creating chaos to get what he wants. A criminal who even 'democratically' skyped in into cabinet meetings of his sister to order his cabinet to do what he wanted.

Rubi

If I viewed it about winning and losing, which I dont, then you would have to say that the criminal has won, living in exile , still wealthy , no signs of being extradited , perception to the outside world of being politically persecuted, and still influential in Thai politics.

However we are where we are and in order to move forward somethings just have to be let go no matter how painful , to keep past resentment just holds you back

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Absolutely.

Rubi

If I viewed it about winning and losing, which I dont, then you would have to say that the criminal has won, living in exile , still wealthy , no signs of being extradited , perception to the outside world of being politically persecuted, and still influential in Thai politics.

However we are where we are and in order to move forward somethings just have to be let go no matter how painful , to keep past resentment just holds you back

83 posts.

"If I viewed it about winning and losing, which I dont, then you would have to say that the criminal has won..." You really think that's convincing?

Yes he's rich, but rich doesn't mean happy. He can't come home, he's tried some immoral / unethical attempts to get a whitewash, indicating he wants to come home which have all failed.

He has a criminal conviction which is yet to be served out, and he has some approx. 15 serious cases of corruption yet to be heard.

'He's a winner'. I think not.

You need to try better. Or do some more research and get a more accurate analysis and understanding of his situation.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 2

the Junta strives to sort out the mish mash the legacy of Thaksin and his political parties,

I`m sorry but it just beggars belief the ignorance of some on here who think Thaksin is the start and end of all corruption and evil in Thailand. In reality he is just a small piece of the story in a decades long tradition of a military backed elite subverting democracy in the Kingdom.

There were a staggering TEN military/elite led coups in Thailland in the period of 1932 to 2001 (when first Thaksin came to power.) There was no Thaksin then, what legacy where they striving to sort out then?

For the love of god would all you coup mongering ignoramuses do us all a favour and read some Thai history. It didn`t begin in 2001 and what we are seeing today is part of a much bigger picture.

Gee, you read? Huh, that must make you real smart. History is to be read and not repeated. What I get from you is I should read and realize that nothing will ever change. Is that your point?

By the way, I don't need to read about it. I was here for a large part of it. Been through 5 of your coups. Every one was warranted. Too bad the outcome was not what the Thai people needed.

Call me a coup mongerer if you wish but if this one does not work out, there will be more.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Absolutely.

Rubi

83 posts.

"If I viewed it about winning and losing, which I dont, then you would have to say that the criminal has won..." You really think that's convincing?

Yes he's rich, but rich doesn't mean happy. He can't come home, he's tried some immoral / unethical attempts to get a whitewash, indicating he wants to come home which have all failed.

He has a criminal conviction which is yet to be served out, and he has some approx. 15 serious cases of corruption yet to be heard.

You need to try better. Or do some more research and get a more accurate analysis and understanding of his situation.

I wasnt going to respond

I didnt say he had won , what I said if I viewed it as wiinning or losing,

At the moment he has liberty and still influences thai politics, he his still in the limelight getting news and social media coverage, all the time while the citizens of thailand have to endure a military coup and martial law.

The penny hasn't dropped with Khun Thaksin, not a good look trying to get something back that he was instrumental in causing, a divided nation , it still is divided, although under the radar as the Junta strives to sort out the mish mash the legacy of Thaksin and his political parties, PM Prayuth is correct , come home Thaksin and face your peers or will you wait another 3 years till statute of limitations expires. coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJARfU4 width=32 alt=coffee1.gif>

Why should a SoL apply to Thaksin who is a convicted criminal? Does Roman Polanski visit the US often?

A statute of limitation is a law which forbids prosecutors from charging someone with a crime that was committed more than a specified number of years ago.

Does a statue of limitations apply if you have skipped the country?

For the love of God, will you read what you have written? You're a clot if you think the anti-Thaksinistas believe it all starts and ends with the grubby one. Honestly, how dumb can you get. Everyone knows the history of corruption. - and that the grub is just the latest manifestation. He just happens to be the most greedy, rapacious, diabolical of all. And his time is now, not last century. And he must be wiped out NOW, not next century. For the love of God.

Bless, you really have it all worked out sport, don`t you? alt=thumbsup.gif>

I`m anti Thaksin as well. His main claim to fame was his autocratic rule meant the country was now pillaged to the benefit of a slightly different set of crooks. Following Khun Prayuth`s intervention it`s back to the original group of crooks who have dominated the country for centuries. Yay! alt=blink.png>

If you don`t have the intelligence to understand what the military/elite grouping represents don`t get angry and result to name calling - go out and read and educate yourself wai.gif.pagespeed.ce.ptXUXgG4cAx1lGI2wn7 alt=wai.gif width=20 height=20>

Excuse me for interrupting your rambling but it was pointed out to you that we are in the twenty First century. Things are not the same as they were last time you were awake.

"Gen Prayut made clear that his position now could not afford him to hold talk with Thaksin or to designate any representative to to act on his behalf as it would be against the law."

Heaven forbid he should want to break the law; like seizing power for himself from the democratically elected government and tearing up the constitution. Very droll.

"democratically elected"

Yawn

Im not sure what you are trying to say, there are a number of types of democracy, e.g.Elected and leadership are 2 examples,

The claim that the previous administration was democratically elected is a matter of fact , you may not agree with their policies, actions or standards , however a set of rules in order to carry out an election was put in place and everybody had an opportunity to cast a vote on an equal basis

I am saying democracy is not election only

it is governing for the people, it is being not corrupt, it is having qualified people in the government, it is governing transparently so that the sovereign is always informed

it is not having a convicted criminal who fled the country to avoid a prison time as the grey eminence,

trying to make an amnesty for corrupt people in the government is democracy neither

I could go on

Edited by sweatalot
  • Like 1

He said all problems rested with only one fact that if he wished to see reconciliation, he must return to face justice system.

Under existing laws, Taksin would never get sent a new passport + to get back his frozen Billions of money.
That happend under his sisters government.

• Like 1

"democratically elected"

Yawn

Apparently you just like to hear yourself talk.

What I get from you is that no matter how corrupt a democratic election is, it is fair and the ones that got screwed by the election being corrupt just don't count any more.

I think you need to brush up some more on how Thai politics work. For that matter any other country. Pull your head out.

• Like 2

Lawyer: Here is the law book. It says you cannot do that.

Army dude: Here is my tank. It says I can.

So, do you think a PM should start talks with a criminal fugitive who caused troubles to the country by becoming too greedy? A criminal fugitive who still has problem to even acknowledge that there might possibly be one or two minor things he could have done better.

First up, Thaksin is probably a corrupt snake and Thailand is better off without him. However, he has never had a fair trial in my opinion. And never will while Thailand is in the grip of the military. He took a few hands out of the cookie jar and they didn't like it. Let's be honest about this at least. If TS is a criminal, why aren't you asking why Thailand has so many multi millionaire generals in its ranks? Rich relatives? Pffff. Sure lol. And why has Thailand had so many coups before TS was even on the scene? And why a few of those PMs also became 'criminal fugitives'. History repeats itself in Thailand, but many refuse to see why.

Thaksin is no angel. However, acts of treason trump anything he did.

Give it up Thaksin is/was a crooked politician. He broke the law and was found guilty by the court that was under the jurisdiction of his own party. The opposition had nothing to do with it. His own party found him guilty and sentenced him to two years in Jail.

• Like 2

"democratically elected"

Yawn

I am saying democracy is not election only

it is governing for the people, it is being not corrupt, it is having qualified people in the government, it is governing transparently so that the sovereign is always informed

it is not having a convicted criminal who fled the country to avoid a prison time as the grey eminence,

trying to make an amnesty for corrupt people in the government is democracy neither

I could go on

Fair enough

A government that is democratically elected with democratic leadership

Thaksin was/is as corrupt as can be- by his own admission billions of baht was hidden in his servants' names for years.

For what I ask you? Manipulation of stock is the only answer that makes sense

His sister was the PM and is now charged with negligence regarding the rice scheme. She was warned repeatedly about corruption and massive losses within the scheme. She ignored them.

If there are no serious losses or fake G to G she has nothing to lose in defending herself from unfair charges.

• Like 1

northernjohn, on 16 Feb 2015 - 21:48, said:

Does a statue of limitations apply if you have skipped the country?

tullynagardy, on 16 Feb 2015 - 18:33, said:
WitawatWatawit, on 16 Feb 2015 - 18:27, said:

For the love of God, will you read what you have written? You're a clot if you think the anti-Thaksinistas believe it all starts and ends with the grubby one. Honestly, how dumb can you get. Everyone knows the history of corruption. - and that the grub is just the latest manifestation. He just happens to be the most greedy, rapacious, diabolical of all. And his time is now, not last century. And he must be wiped out NOW, not next century. For the love of God.

Bless, you really have it all worked out sport, don`t you? alt=thumbsup.gif>

I`m anti Thaksin as well. His main claim to fame was his autocratic rule meant the country was now pillaged to the benefit of a slightly different set of crooks. Following Khun Prayuth`s intervention it`s back to the original group of crooks who have dominated the country for centuries. Yay! alt=blink.png>

If you don`t have the intelligence to understand what the military/elite grouping represents don`t get angry and result to name calling - go out and read and educate yourself wai.gif.pagespeed.ce.ptXUXgG4cAx1lGI2wn7 alt=wai.gif width=20 height=20>

Excuse me for interrupting your rambling but it was pointed out to you that we are in the twenty First century. Things are not the same as they were last time you were awake.

Twenty First century? Thailand? You can't be serious! blink.png

Why should a PM hold talks with a fugitive on the run?

Well definitely he shouldn't, but General Happiness is getting desperate because he so full of himself but hasn't achieved a single reform yet, and he don't want to lose face.

I'm sure he has sleepless nights to think how he can achieve just a single one of all his promises, but I sincerely hope he will not fall for the Dubai rat.

Absolutely.

Rubi

83 posts.

I wasnt going to respond

I didnt say he had won , what I said if I viewed it as wiinning or losing,

At the moment he has liberty and still influences thai politics, he his still in the limelight getting news and social media coverage, all the time while the citizens of thailand have to endure a military coup and martial law.

"If I viewed it about winning and losing, which I dont, then you would have to say that the criminal has won"

If you view we have to say?

Please tell us more about the influence of Thai politics by a criminal fugitive. Still collection evidence on criminal influence of criminal fugitives who regard Thailand as their fief, who skype-in into cabinet meeting, ordering his cabinet around to do his will as he sees fit. Democracy anyone?

BTW thank you for reminding us that such criminal fugitive lives in luxury while his poor supporters are still poor and are supposed to rise up against all those who want to ask another Amply rich person to take the responsibility of what she called to be in charge of.

Reconciliation= letting Amply Rich people enjoy their wealth and forgive them for having stolen it from the poor downtrodden masses.

• Like 2

Why should a PM hold talks with a fugitive on the run?

Yes, indeed, why should the junta hold talks with Islamic insurgents who have killed over 5000 in ten years?

What the heck, let the killing and violence continue, it does wonders for ones budget eh?

Hang on…Traffic related deaths in Thailand was 26 000 odd last year...

Going by your logic we should concentrate on them and not terrorism.

Remember there is a bigger chance of dying in a taxi than by a terrorist. You said it, not me...

But the terrorists in the South are not red terrorists so we don't need to justify the deaths at their hands right….

• Like 2