booking a taxi at the airport to avoid the queue

Howitzer

I don't think it is possible as strict rules are enforced at the Terminal and the other drivers who have been waiting for 2 hours to get a ride won't be pleased at all. You would probably have to walk away fron the Terminal which is very difficult actually.

But what you still can do, despite attempts to make this impossible by installing huge revolving iron gates, is to walk up to the departure level and get a Cab that just has dropped a PAX. you can pass through those revolving gates in the opposite direction if you do not have a lot or heavy luggage.

Yesterday I arrived at Swampy with a rather small case and did so. While there were security people around and busy blowing their whistles, they turned a blind eye when I acted in such a reckless way ;-)

If you keep this to yourself please whistling.gif

Go down to the baselevel (where busses and taxis wait).

Walk out towards the car park (crossing the driveways).

You reach the road in front of the car park, where a flow of taxis is trying to pickup passengers.

They are steadily chased by guards circling with towing vehicles laugh.png

Taxis parking on the road (no driver or no good excuse) will be taken on the hook.

Thais know how to "arrange" a pickup beforehand.

Edited by KhunBENQ

What queue?

Maybe I have been lucky the last three times around, but since they've changed to a selfservice machine to get your number, it even seems to be going quicker than before. Although I have to admit the quality of driver and/or taxi you wind up with is still a bit of a gamble (I have to travel over 300 km) in spite of all the new regulations.

Come to think of it, I've actually never ever had to wait more than a few minutes for a taxi at the airport in all the years i've been here.

• Like 1

I tried doing this once, and it seemed like it was going to work but the driver was taking a long time. I ended up just going to the departure level and easily got a taxi there. If you go up to the departure level make sure to get a driver who you see dropping someone off. Some of the ones waiting there are part of the airport taxi mafia and they won't use the meter.

There are gates at the departure level intended to keep people from getting a taxi there, but it's very easy to walk through them. Also the guard may tell you that you can't go through, but I just tell him it's ok and go through anyway. I've never had a problem with this.

Even though it's still easy to get a taxi at the departure level, I usually just book Uber to avoid dealing with taxis at all. If you book Uber, they will meet you near the regular airport taxi area. Go out the same door on the arrivals level where the taxis are and continue straight to the next area where passenger cars can go. Every time I've used Uber they are there about 5 minutes after I book them. If I have a checked bag I use the Uber app right after I get my bag, and the driver usually arrives a minute or two after I'm out the door.

i always pre book my taxi,

several companies from pattaya do pick ups,

they park in the short term multi story and wait for you at exit door number 3,

if you need info on reliable companies a simple search should find the names ,

if you cant find any pm me, i have been using the same company for 10 + years and never been let down, 1200 baht from the airport to your hotel door in pattaya and 1000 going back the other way,

after 20 hours of travelling from the uk to thailand the last theing i want to do is mess around waiting for cabs or busses....

If you book express immigration its a Limo company who do it, costly but I'd rather pay a few quid more than stand around for an hour or 2 waiting for a taxi

The "Pop upstairs" trick still works as well

http://www.limousine.in.th/fast-track-immigration.html

Yes with this system you can pay a 1000 dollars to be processed humanely as and includes a 50 dollar taxi ride.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If you book express immigration its a Limo company who do it, costly but I'd rather pay a few quid more than stand around for an hour or 2 waiting for a taxi

The "Pop upstairs" trick still works as well

http://www.limousine.in.th/fast-track-immigration.html

Yes with this system you can pay a 1000 dollars to be processed humanely as and includes a 50 dollar taxi ride.

I booked it at Swampy a few times, I recon you could blag through the Express lane without booking anything . They meet you as you come down the ramp and then walk you to the hall and point you through the Express /Diplomatic door, they don't come with you and the immigration bloke just takes your passport and does what he has to do

Only time I have ever queued for more than about a minute was at Don Mueang after it reopened as DMK and all the taxis were going to BKK instead.

the new "computerized" system that is in use since a couple of weeks has resulted in long queues virtually 24 hrs a day....... never thought an UBER pick-up is possible at swampy. maybe will give it a try next time.

BenQ's idea is new to me too and as well worth a try.....