Thailand is soooo cheap compared to back home

davidst01

This tired old argument is flawed because it fails to take in disparity in wages. Don't forget people generally earn several times the Thai average and while things like rent and services are cheaper, it is still relative: a teacher earning 25k here might earn 125k there. Buuuut, then you have groceries, which are a lot more expensive here than even a few years ago, even more so than UK. Numerous things are cheaper and of miles better quality over there. Fair quality clothes are also dirt cheap as are cars. Water cheap, electric cheap, post cheap... f*** a doodle do, what about the rest and quality of service? You ain't lookin at the big picture.

''a teacher earning 25k here might earn 125k there.''

ha ha introduce me to a teacher back home who earns $125k a year...

OK, Easy. It's the benefits.

I DO know teachers who make 70K. Then they can retire at age 60 with a pension almost equal to what they were making teaching, for life. Then when they turn real retirement age they can also draw Social Security and and double dip. I actually know retired teachers doing that - friends of mine.

Now you have to figure not only what their salary was while working, but add to that the retirement benefits and for some, 401K's they were building all the time to figure out what the employer was really paying and yes, it was probably about double their salary.

• Like 1

Some people say anything to defend Thailand. Lots of people here will say anything to condemn it.

The truth lies somewhere between. But nobody seems very interested in that.

Well said Mista biker, well said.
Absolutely well said- in an earlier post I suggested these threads should be banned- what have we got- pages concerning the price of haircuts and lobsters- it's just SO boring

No one forced you to read these pages, so f$$k off.................

OK no I would totally agree- I thought might be interesting- will have to order my Maine lobster tails today- of course bit of a first world problem- the price of lobster.

I will not <deleted> off - you think I would be scared of your threat- sorry this thread is BORING , tedious, repetitive , irrelevant .

Absolutely well said- in an earlier post I suggested these threads should be banned- what have we got- pages concerning the price of haircuts and lobsters- it's just SO boring

No one forced you to read these pages, so f$$k off.................

OK no I would totally agree- I thought might be interesting- will have to order my Maine lobster tails today- of course bit of a first world problem- the price of lobster.

I will not <deleted> off - you think I would be scared of your threat- sorry this thread is BORING , tedious, repetitive , irrelevant .

The new ‘Magnificent Maine Lobster’ menu combines the most succulent imported Maine Lobster with traditional Thai dishes and flavours to create a fabulous fusion to sate the senses.

Thien Duong’s talented chefs have masterminded a selection of delicious dishes such as Steamed Maine Lobster with tamarind sauce; Grilled Maine Lobster with rice noodles; and Crispy Maine Lobster on yam-bean salad.

The ‘Magnificent Maine Lobster’ menu is available only between 9 and 23 January 2014, with dishes starting from THB 750 per half-lobster and THB 1,500 per whole.

http://www.dusit.com/dusitthani/bangkok/magnificent-maine-lobster-at-thien-duong-,news_viewItem_672-en.html

I DO know teachers who make 70K. Then they can retire at age 60 with a pension almost equal to what they were making teaching, for life. Then when they turn real retirement age they can also draw Social Security and and double dip. I actually know retired teachers doing that - friends of mine.

Now you have to figure not only what their salary was while working, but add to that the retirement benefits and for some, 401K's they were building all the time to figure out what the employer was really paying and yes, it was probably about double their salary.

I don't know which is worse, coming up with the bogus statistic, or trying to explain it with the ridiculous logic above.

I don't know which is worse, coming up with the bogus statistic, or trying to explain it with the ridiculous logic above.

Thai teachers easily make 125K a year if you factor in the I'll Do Anything to Get A Better Grade sideline poontang benefits... Edited by SiSePuede419

• 2 weeks later...

If someone had to put a pound / dollar value on what access to the NHS is worth, how much would it be per month in relation to say, how much a 65 year old man would have to pay here for top of the range medical insurance?

• Like 1

Thailand:

Property taxes = 0 baht

auto registration = 1025 baht

5 year driver's license = 700? baht

parking fees = 0 baht

parking tickets = 0 baht

weedcutter repair = 40 baht

lawnmower repair = 100 baht

countertop oven repair = 40 baht

refrigerator repair (change freon) = 900 baht

haircut = 50 baht

10 gallon bottle of water = 12 baht

pork = 140/kl

chicken breast meat = 80 baht/kilo

large shrimp = 260 baht/kilo

squid = 140-180 baht/kilo

home grown mangos in season = free

home grown bananas year round = free

home grown lamut in season = free

home grown papayas year round = free

bamboo shoots in season = free

electric bill (no air) = 1200 baht/month

cell phone = 300 baht/month

mail letter within Thailand = 3 baht

mail letter overseas = 19 to 28 baht

dental checkup and cleaning = 800 baht

dental crown and root canal = 10,000 baht

vet bill for neutering = 900 baht

vet bill for infected bite wound = 900 baht

3.5 hour bus trip = 165 baht

No way living in the US is cheaper that Thailand.

But you forgot to mention the most important thing... in the US, one (e.g. me) can earn $100+K per year working, whereas in Thailand $0.

So, in reality it makes no difference to me whether a country is inexpensive; if I cannot earn any money to spend, everything will seem like it costs a fortune.

P.S. Who the heck rides a bus in Thailand? Suicidal maniacs?

That's outrageous. I believe you but I've never heard of such a thing.

My big occasional splurge is to go out for steak and lobster. That's choice grade American beef and a big Maine lobster done right. Cost about $25 with a salad and dessert. I mention it only because I miss things like that in Thailand.

attachicon.gifzx.jpg

American restaurants don't offer big Maine Lobster with steak because the price would be obscene. Portland's Hawthorne lobster house 2 pound lobster $80. A decent steak at Morton's or Cris"s $50.

So steak and big Maine lobster would be $130. with no drink or tip. Now if you mean grass fed beef from down under and slipper tails imported from Thailand the price is more in your range.

I have no idea what you're talking about and I have no idea where you get that thinking. I googled the menu for a large national seafood chain that's near me. It's The Red Lobster. I can't give a link because you have to search by zip code and the site is written in .ASP and won't track back.

I highlighted in the red box where you can add a Maine lobster tail to any meal for $11.49. It's not a Thai lobster. I couldn't find the menu for steak and lobster so I found lobster, salmon steak, and shrimp. Australian beef? I live in the heart of American beef country. I grew up on a 4,000 acre wheat and cattle ranch. I know beef.

This would also be sanitary in a very nice and clean and safe American restaurant.

My favorite restaurant is cheaper than this and I live in a state with no sales (vat) tax. Google Red Lobster Restaurant and enter any zip code that's not an expensive city such as NY or SF where you're paying for the rent.

attachicon.giflob.jpg

As World pointed out, why do you want to make this a USA focused thread?

If someone had to put a pound / dollar value on what access to the NHS is worth, how much would it be per month in relation to say, how much a 65 year old man would have to pay here for top of the range medical insurance?

This is the nitty and gritty of it. What old people get from the NHS in UK is very valuable, I speak with reference to what my dad got, didn't stint on emergency care and saved his life for sure. You do hear horror stories but on the whole I would rate the NHS as very good really for serious complaints.

That costs a hell of a lot, and it is the one area where you don't want to rough it. Who knows what a monthly premium would be out here, I suspect whatever you got it would have limitations, that do not exist in UK. If i had to guess at a monthly premium out here, perhaps 10000, even 20000 baht per month like for like for duration of life, and perhaps not even available after 75

Would be interesting to know for sure from an expert.

I can tell you about the US because I have it. I have Medicare A,B,F and RX. A is free, B is $104 pm, and F is $150 per month. RX is $25 per month. The US government subsidizes that with more than $1,000 pm. That combination means I never have to pay anything for health care. No co-pays, no deductibles - nothing.

Now, before someone bashes the cost because "the US doesn't have "free" healthcare," let me tell you that I bought gasoline today for $2.56 per US gallon and many other things are cheap because I'm not taxed to death. Nothing in life is free.

I'm getting to the age where I couldn't get health insurance in Thailand, so I'd have to self-insure, and some things can be very expensive even in Thailand.

I'm very happy to pay about $3K per year to guarantee full health coverage with great service and that's how it will be the rest of my life.

Cheers.

so go home and make 100k dollars a year in your drilling oil company . after you have paid the irs and direct taxes, how much you got left.?

maybe 30k?maybe less?

It would depend on whether married or single, how many kids, deductions that everyone gets, and so on.

For a single person making that much the income tax due could range from 15 - 25% and most likely 15% for a homeowner living a normal life.

You can quickly calculate yours here.

so go home and make 100k dollars a year in your drilling oil company . after you have paid the irs and direct taxes, how much you got left.?

maybe 30k?maybe less?

It would depend on whether married or single, how many kids, deductions that everyone gets, and so on.

For a single person making that much the income tax due could range from 15 - 25% and most likely 15% for a homeowner living a normal life.

About 12 years ago I was living in the US and paid about 38% on a per annum income of $170,000. That included social security contributions of 9% of my income IIRC (so money I'll get back later).

maybe 30k?maybe less?

About 12 years ago I was living in the US and paid about 38% on a per annum income of $170,000. That included social security contributions of 9% of my income IIRC (so money I'll get back later).

Tax rates go up the more you earn. The top tax bracket is 39.6 percent that applies to a single person whose taxable income after deductions is $406K per year. That doesn't include the SS payments you mentioned. The average Joe pays 15% or less, and less might mean he gets an earned income credit (gift) of money from the IRS. LINK

Fair enough, I just gave it as an example. The 38% included federal, state and local taxes (Washington, DC) and SS contributions. My guess is that on 100,000 a year you'd keep close to 70k, but it depends on state and local taxes, and possible deductions.

you are all wrong, you pay much more than 38 percent, you pay probably 60 to 70 percent.

you must add all direct tax, like tax on fuel, tax on everything you buy (vat), tax on airport, tax on air.... pretty much you are taxed 24/7 without knowing it. you have to pay tax on interest too.

don't try to understand, tax office and government want make you believe it s fair and you don't pay a lot. what a lie!!!

this concern UK too!

Edited by VIPinthailand

Vet bills! I took both my dogs to the vets yesterday, Leo had all his hair trimmed (he is a large dog) for the summer and a full wash/dry plus some eye drops for his eye infection , Lea had a full wash/dry with vaccines plus a monthly tick treatment front line, total bill 930 bhat! in the UK that would cost you at-least 100 pounds if not much more, and the service was much better.

Took my car in to have the oil changed plus a general service/clean inside and our, total bill: 700 bhat again much better service than I would get in the UK

I have just got back from 2 weeks in the UK, and even for those little things you might not think about some things I can think of off the top of my head:

Cigs

Beer,

pop (fanta, coke etc),

Snacks

I can go into my local small shop, come out with a carrier bag full of various items for 300 bhat including cigs, now in the UK for the same I would be paying 1000 bhat+

Now I have my 6 week old son, diapers, baby milk, baby clothes etc is crazy, seems really cheap here too,

As some have also said post is alot cheaper... also the obvious, property rent, petrol, electric, water... the list really goes on, maybe we should create some kind of price comparison index for everything to put things into perspective.

I can tell you about the US because I have it. I have Medicare A,B,F and RX. A is free, B is $104 pm, and F is $150 per month. RX is $25 per month. The US government subsidizes that with more than $1,000 pm. That combination means I never have to pay anything for health care. No co-pays, no deductibles - nothing.

Good to know! Can B,F & RX go up in the future?

My understanding is that you should get health insurance in Thailand, before you hit 62. Then you can renew it every year after that. Does anyone know what the payments are? I assume there is a limit to coverage?

"In the near term I like living in Bangkok and not everything in life is about money, but there's no doubt that my financial situation would improve vastly by moving back to Belgium or elsewhere in Europe....living a Western lifestyle."

Living a Western lifestyle in Thailand makes about as much financial sense as living a Thai lifestyle in Belgium:

Eating only imported Thai food, living in a giant greenhouse with tropical trees, the heat cranked up to 100 degrees F on the coldest winter day, laying in your hammock all day with your wife, sipping on imported coconuts, 555

• Like 2

"In the near term I like living in Bangkok and not everything in life is about money, but there's no doubt that my financial situation would improve vastly by moving back to Belgium or elsewhere in Europe....living a Western lifestyle."

Living a Western lifestyle in Thailand makes about as much financial sense as living a Thai lifestyle in Belgium:

Eating only imported Thai food, living in a giant greenhouse with tropical trees, the heat cranked up to 100 degrees F on the coldest winter day, laying in your hammock all day with your wife, sipping on imported coconuts.

If you tried living like that in Belgium, you could tell us about how much money you would save by moving to Thailand, 555

Suit yourself. That's what pretty much everybody I know does, including the Thais I work with: all the comforts of the West, plus the advantages of Thailand.

Edited by sundrenched
  • Like 1

you are all wrong, you pay much more than 38 percent, you pay probably 60 to 70 percent.

you must add all direct tax, like tax on fuel, tax on everything you buy (vat), tax on airport, tax on air.... pretty much you are taxed 24/7 without knowing it. you have to pay tax on interest too.

don't try to understand, tax office and government want make you believe it s fair and you don't pay a lot. what a lie!!!

this concern UK too!

Never seen a 300% tax in the U.S. On an automobile. And the tax on fuel must be pretty low because fuel there is significantly cheaper than here. But yeah...keep pulling numbers out of your....

• Like 2