Dutch wanted by Interpol nabbed in Pattaya

Thaivisa News

Pattaya, Chon Buri: A 42-year-old Dutch man wanted by Interpol for allegedly trafficking 100 kilograms of marijuana in Europe in 2010 was arrested in Pattaya early Friday.

Pol Maj Gen Thamrong Saengwattanakul, commander of Immigration Police Division 3, said Ronell Cornelis Winx (spelling from Thai sounds provided by police) was arrested two years after he had sneaked into Thailand. Thai police spent about four months tracking him after alerted by Interpol.

Thamrong said Winx was arrested at 1:20 am at the Planet Earth Beach Club on Soj Jomthien 15 in Tambon Nong Plua of Chon Buri’s Bang Lamung district. The arrest was made with cooperation from the Immigration Police and Thai Interpol.

Thai Interpol officers and immigration officers have been tracking Winx after Thai police were alerted by German and Interpol police four months ago that Winx had entered Thailand on March 25 2012. Thai police later learned that he was hiding in Pattaya.

Winx was wanted by the Interpol under an arrest warrant issued in Germany for having allegedly smuggled 100 kilograms of marijuana into Germany, Italy and other European nations in 2010. He then disappeared before the German police learned that he fled to Thailand. The drug was worth 180,000 euros or about Bt10 million.

Thamrong said Winx entered Thailand as a tourist.

Police found that he had overstayed visa so he would also face charge of being an alien living in the kingdom without permission. After he has been taken legal action for overstaying visa, he would be extradited to Germany, Thamrong said.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^^^ Yes, checks at immigration. The story said he "sneaked" into Thailand, which would suggest he bypassed immigration, then it said he was an overstayer. A bit more care is needed with these stories.

Which leads me to accreditation. Why is TV dropping the accreditation on stories? It's important to us to know the source , and important for TV to publish that info if it doesn't want to get kicked up the rear by its content providers.

Edited by WitawatWatawit

When one arrives at the airport in Thailand, the immigration pulls your data up on a computer.... are they not checking to make certain, there's no interpol data? It has always amazed me, how many criminals slide into the country.

what are our countries doing to prevent such criminals leaving in the first place?

Presumely the security is higher, faster and better linked in Europe.

I am tired of reading always why the Thais did not.....

When one arrives at the airport in Thailand, the immigration pulls your data up on a computer.... are they not checking to make certain, there's no interpol data? It has always amazed me, how many criminals slide into the country.

I don't think airports are checking interpol data. If I recall it correctly, two passengers boarded MH370 used the stolen passports which were in interpol database from KL airport last year as well.

Edited by lynnnayko

The drug was worth 180,000 euros or about Bt10 million.

Wow, the Euro is going up again.Where can I change my money, at this hour of the day?

yeah, 1€ 55,5555555555555556THB better than ever before. Lotus has banks open 7 days a week, I better drive quick. It´s only a shame that TV has no ...!

Although Marijuana is deemed illegal in those countries including Thailand ....I really wonder when the governments and the relevant authorities in those countries will legalize marijuana and move on to policing far more important matters.

I do not advocate the use of recreational drugs at all........but this ongoing social affair known as the war on drugs, with all its associated ramifications and specifically the law enforcement concerning marijuana, is a near perfect example of human folly....if ever there was....while history will prove that was the case.

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

Wow, the Euro is going up again.Where can I change my money, at this hour of the day?

I changed 1,000,000 baht 5 days ago and got 26,800 euro so 10,000,000 baht would buy 268,000 euro., or 268,000 euro would buy 10,000,000 baht they have got it wrong just checked the rate out on interned. We are getting 37 baht for 1 euro so 180,000 euro would get 6.66 million baht. Who are the dummy's who worked this out,

Well that's one more country that Thailand is cooperating with on extraditing their criminals.

We should see similar cooperation when Thailand asks Germany to extradite someone wanted in this country, as we should for the other countries who have had cooperation with extradition of their crooks who have been arrested here.

I changed 1,000,000 baht 5 days ago and got 26,800 euro so 10,000,000 baht would buy 268,000 euro., or 268,000 euro would buy 10,000,000 baht they have got it wrong just checked the rate out on interned. We are getting 37 baht for 1 euro so 180,000 euro would get 6.66 million baht. Who are the dummy's who worked this out,

Could the exchange rate have been calculated on what it was at the time of the crime and not when you did your transaction ?

Well that's one more country that Thailand is cooperating with on extraditing their criminals.

We should see similar cooperation when Thailand asks Germany to extradite someone wanted in this country, as we should for the other countries who have had cooperation with extradition of their crooks who have been arrested here.

If someone is illegally staying in Thailand and this person is arrested. He/she is taken to the airport and in custody of Interpol if he/she is a wanted person. Extradition laws in such cases are irrelevant.

100 KG marijuana will cost around € 350,000.- in Holland. So if he was importing 100 KG for € 180,000.- he must have had the worst there was (maybe Thai stick) and now getting charged with endangering peoples health instead of importing marijuana.. Even growers are getting at least € 300,000.- for 100 KG.

Edited by FredNL

100 KG marijuana will cost around € 350,000.- in Holland. So if he was importing 100 KG for € 180,000.- he must have had the worst there was (maybe Thai stick) and now getting charged with endangering peoples health instead of importing marijuana.. Even growers are getting at least € 300,000.- for 100 KG.

I agree , he should have been stopped at the border if he was wanted by interpol .

Interpol knew he was heading to Thailand and wanted to arrest him in Thailand.

Then........ certain Interpol agents can come to Thailand and have a "working vacation"

Later.... they arrive back in Europe and look like hero's....... while most of the naïve citizens are thinking:

Those hard done by, hard working Interpol agents had to travel all the way to that awful, backward place, called Thailand ( can you imagine such hardship ) to arrest those trouble making, notorious marijuana trafficking drug lords and bring them back to face justice.

Sometimes .......When you read between the lines you begin to realize the scheme of things .....in all its brilliance.

Cheers

Winx??? Looks like he's a Vink to me.

dutch-3.jpg

I see you've been here a good few years and that you understand that the Thais don't do the V sound like the Germans.. That becomes a soft W. So, as reported in the original article,.........

"Pol Maj Gen Thamrong , said Ronell Cornelis Winx (spelling from Thai sounds provided by police)

So, can we cut them a bit of slack for a change, since I am sure they shake their heads at the pronunciation of Thai words by some farangs.

Viedersehen.wink.pngwink.png vink vink.

This is an outrage, that interpol is wasting it's time and money chasing a guy in Thailand, that 'smuggled' a few pounds (a hundred is still just a few pounds) of marijuana (a plant that has pretty much been legalized in the west) NOT EVEN IN THAILAND but within the EU!.. when the region continues to be overrun by child rapists, endangered species poachers and smugglers, and financial fraudsters! OK when ALL those people are locked up then interpol can waste their time busting people for pot-when we live in a perfect world.

Edited by pkspeaker

You and me both. They are everywhere and Pattaya ,Phuket, Koh Samui, Chiang Mai tend to be their main hangouts.

I agree , he should have been stopped at the border if he was wanted by interpol .

Then........ certain Interpol agents can come to Thailand and have a "working vacation"

Later.... they arrive back in Europe and look like hero's....... while most of the naïve citizens are thinking:

Those hard done by, hard working Interpol agents had to travel all the way to that awful, backward place, called Thailand ( can you imagine such hardship ) to arrest those trouble making, notorious marijuana trafficking drug lords and bring them back to face justice.

Sometimes .......When you read between the lines you begin to realize the scheme of things .....in all its brilliance.

Cheers

Myth. Interpol staff do not arrest anyone, that task is carried out by local country police or in collaboration with the police from the country requesting the warrant.

This is an outrage, that interpol is wasting it's time and money chasing a guy in Thailand, that 'smuggled' a few pounds (a hundred is still just a few pounds) of marijuana (a plant that has pretty much been legalized in the west) NOT EVEN IN THAILAND but within the EU!.. when the region continues to be overrun by child rapists, endangered species poachers and smugglers, and financial fraudsters! OK when ALL those people are locked up then interpol can waste their time busting people for pot-when we live in a perfect world.

I tend to agree.

They should arrest him on tax evasion and the taxes he did not pay on the sale(s) of the drug rather than making like they have apprehended a major international drug trafficker that is portrayed as some sort of eminent threat to international relationships between the various countries involved.

As I said before, I do not advocate or encourage anyone to partake in the consumption of recreational purpose drugs for the sole purpose of intoxication while people who do knowingly sell a recreational drug while the drug remains deemed as illegal...... will have to be accountable to the laws...as long as they remain...as dumb and thoughtless as some of those laws are at this present time in history.

Meantime those laws and their enforcement are slowly changing while the use of the drug is basically decriminalized in many countries while the sale of over an agreed upon amount is deemed as trafficking and beyond personal use.....so ......you then fall under known regulations, more so than drug law enforcement pertaining to drug trafficking.

The fact that he sold the product in several countries is an issue concerning the importation of any product that is illegally smuggled into any country.....plus most people who pay taxes would agree that he should also pay taxes on his particular form of income....so charge him for that..... if anything.

Cheers

Cheers

Myth. Interpol staff do not arrest anyone, that task is carried out by local country police or in collaboration with the police from the country requesting the warrant.

Sarcasm, Sarcasm..........while sometimes it is not easily recognized by.......... some people...lol

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

Although Marijuana is deemed illegal in those countries including Thailand ....I really wonder when the governments and the relevant authorities in those countries will legalize marijuana and move on to policing far more important matters.

I do not advocate the use of recreational drugs at all........but this ongoing social affair known as the war on drugs, with all its associated ramifications and specifically the law enforcement concerning marijuana, is a near perfect example of human folly....if ever there was....while history will prove that was the case.

Cheers

Exactly! Most countries in Europe pretty much turn a blind eye to small dealing in marijuana these days anyway, dont think he will have to worry much about getting back to Europe. In the slammer for a few years (if that), and thats all! It is not like he was dealing heroin...