Chinese tourist arrivals – a boon and a bane for Chiang Rai

Thaivisa News

Chiang Rai: – Some 1,800 Chinese tourists have driven 400 vehicles per day via Laos to spend Chinese New Year holiday in the northern province, police said.

The immigration checkpoint at Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge in Chiang Khong district has seen a surge of Chinese arrivals by land.

In the first half of February, some 8,000 Chinese tourists and 3,000 Chinese-registered vehiclespassed through the checkpoint.

This signals a rising trend in comparison to last year’s arrivals of 52,013 Chinese at the checkpoint.

Land transport has become popular for Chinese from Southern China to drive their vehicles to Northern Thailand via Ban Houayxay in Laos.

The provincial authorities have launched awareness campaign for Chinese motorists to familiarise themselves with Thai traffic rules.

The traffic violations involving vehicles registered in Southern China have risen. Most Chinese motorists speak only their language and China has right-hand traffic in contrast to Thailand’s right-hand one.

ChalermchaiKositpipat, artist and operator of WatRongKhun, have been complaining about Chinese refusing to observe toilet etiquette at his popular tourist attraction.

Since the start of Chinese New Year, toilet facilities at WatRongKhun is closed two hours early because of overwhelming work to clean up after the Chinese, Chalermchai said.

Despite repeated pleas, Chinese tourists often fail to flush the toilet after each use and they relieve themselves everywhere inside the bathroom. Workers have to clean off faeces in urinals and wash basins.

KResearch has estimated Chinese arrivals would generate about 54 billion baht in revenues for travel-related businesses in 2015.

• Like 2

Quote : The provincial authorities have launched awareness campaign for Chinese motorists to familiarise themselves with Thai traffic rules.

Hiiiiiilarious. To the best of my knowledge, the plural ('rules') is redundant because there is only one rule in this country when it comes to driving :

drive wherever you can, hope for the best and let your karma handle the rest.

so why are't the chinese toilet trained i wonder

They have some rather odd requirements. First, toilets do not seem to be fitted with a rear-end washer as in Thailand.

Second: the hostel I stayed at last year insisted that no paper was to go in the toilet, and must be placed in the basket provided. All very well, but frequent emptying of this basked would have been appreciated.

I frequently saw kids being led outside and squatting on the curb. Great training - or maybe the toilet was on the top floor.

Hmmmm.....in some respects they will regret the mass influx of Chinese tourists.....but the money to be made will soften the impact.

Concerning the toilets.......They will simply have to police the toilets and have to post obvious large written notices in Chinese language and or voice recordings in the toilets repeatedly informing the crass conduct Chinese tourists how there is a 5000 baht fine for leaving the toilet in a soiled condition after use.

Just think...it could be like the Sukhumvite road cigarette police while extorting money out of the Chinese for their dirty toilet habits rather than cigarettes while evolving into a very lucrative and profitable enterprise for some of the Thais.

Toilet Police...dressed in military style, bright white uniforms....... where ever the Chinese tourist are in numbers.

Cheers

Edited by gemguy
  • Like 1

Most Chinese motorists speak only their language and China has right-hand traffic in contrast to Thailand’s right-hand one.

?

Perhaps a convoluted way of saying the Chinese drive on the right a la the USA and the Thais drive on the left a la Japan?

I wonder when the first Thai owned vehicle will cross into China driven by a Thai?

• Like 1

Most Chinese think western toilets are dirty and do not want to touch their ass on a toilet seat. They will stand on the seat to crap, spewing crap all over the top of the toilet. Then they don't care to touch it either to clean it up and just leave a mess. TIC

• Like 2

You can tell a lot about a country by its toilets. Best toilets I've ever seen? Japan.

The public restrooms in Bergan, Norway, 30 years ago, were perfectly clean. It was amazing to me. No tiny messages written in the tile grout between the tiles at the urinals. 5555! Also no litter anywhere and everyone's front yard was manicured. Beautiful place. Back to the subject. Despite there being many Chinese vehicles (most of them super expensive models), I found their driving habits to be quite acceptable. I don't know how much of their money they will actually part with while down here. It looks to be mostly organized tours of a "train" of autos.

You can tell a lot about a country by its toilets. Best toilets I've ever seen? Japan.

The public restrooms in Bergan, Norway, 30 years ago, were perfectly clean. It was amazing to me. No tiny messages written in the tile grout between the tiles at the urinals. 5555! Also no litter anywhere and everyone's front yard was manicured. Beautiful place. Back to the subject. Despite there being many Chinese vehicles (most of them super expensive models), I found their driving habits to be quite acceptable. I don't know how much of their money they will actually part with while down here. It looks to be mostly organized tours of a "train" of autos.
Edited by roo860

Just google Chinese and sh-t and you will see that they really do go anywhere.In lifts on station just about anywhere they can.Dirty bunch of *******

Tried it and no joy. probably because the only server I could get installed round here was Baidu and "dirty Chinese tourists sh*tting all over the world" is probably blocked by Beijing.

• Like 1

Just google Chinese and sh-t and you will see that they really do go anywhere.In lifts on station just about anywhere they can.Dirty bunch of *******

Tried it and no joy. probably because the only server I could get installed round here was Baidu and "dirty Chinese tourists sh*tting all over the world" is probably blocked by Beijing.

Here they are right on cue!!!!!!

post-222557-14246826514445_thumb.jpg