Thai passport for girl born in the UK

Hi everyone,

Its a slightly complicated story but here goes.

My daughter, now aged 10, was born in the UK. Her mum left us and returned to Thailand almost two years ago.

There is a possibility that my daughter and I will move to Thailand from the UK, in the next year or two. I have a reasonable understanding of the difficulties of me residing in Thailand, however, as my daughter has a Thai mother I'm hoping she can obtain a Thai passport & birth certificate.

To the best of my knowledge the only way to obtain these documents for my daughter, is to visit the Thai embassy in London (both parents) with the necessary documents.

Unfortunately my now ex-wife refuses to return to the UK to allow us all to visit the embassy. She does however believe that by taking our daughter to the local Ampur the documents can be issued that way.

That last time in managed to get through to the Thai embassy, they were adamant that it could only be done in the UK. My ex-wife is adamant that it can be done in Thailand (because her friend had done it that way).

Knowing how things often work over there I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced similar circumstances and if it can actually be done when we are in Thailand?

Thanks in advance.

What's the reason for wanting a Thai passport?

My daughter now 12 had one and it never got used in visits. It's a complete waste of money,

If you can't get a visa to stay in Thailand then how would your daughter stay there?

Save your time & money & use her British passport & get her visas as yours.

A lot of Brits who have Thai offspring thinks it's cool or the 'done thing' to have both passports but as I said it's pointless.

You can go & stay a far more places with British.

Complete waste of time & money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My daughter now 12 had one and it never got used in visits. It's a complete waste of money,

If you can't get a visa to stay in Thailand then how would your daughter stay there?

A lot of Brits who have Thai offspring thinks it's cool or the 'done thing' to have both passports but as I said it's pointless.

The reason is that my daughter wants to be with her mum and live in Thailand. I want to stay there to be near my daughter and I love Thailand.

I have some land (well turns out I don't but I paid for it) and that will hopefully be put in her name.

I'm just looking to make it easy for her to stay there and not to have to worry about visa's like the rest of us.

• Like 1

Thailand does not allow duel nationality.

So for her to get a Thai passport, she would have to relinquish her UK passport.

Surely a UK passport has more value than a Thai passport.

Thought the duel nationality thing was a bit of a grey area?

If they have duel, isn't it that they have to decide which one there are going to be at 16 or 18?

So for her to get a Thai passport, she would have to relinquish her UK passport.

Pattaya28 you're talking <deleted>. There are many members of this forum holding dual nationality to prove you wrong.

There is a way for the OP's daughter to get a Thai passport in Thailand but i'm unfamiliar with the process.

My ex managed to register and get a Thai passport for my overseas born son without my involvement. I believe it was done at Umphur level. Hopefully there will be others along that know the process.

That's pretty much what my ex says she can do as well (and birth certificate hopefully) . Interesting that someone else has done it. Thank you

"Thailand does not allow duel nationality".

This statement has been repeated many times on Thai Visa,as far as i'm aware no one has come up with an official answer? perhaps you can show us all,your evidence?

100% incorrect. Personal friend. American citizen for 40 years has just gotten her new Thai ID and Thai passport. She has dual nationality.

First there is no law that states that a Thai cannot have dual nationalities.

Your ex wife is wrong. It cannot be done at an Amphoe. The Thai birth certificate she needs can only be issued by the Thai embassy in London.

The only way to do ii from here is to apply for it through the consular affairs department of the MFA in Bangkok.

You should be able to do it at the Embassy in London without your ex wife being present. She would have to sign some forms and give her consent. She would need to sign the consent and other forms at an Amphoe to have her signature notarized by them.

I suggest you contact the embassy to find out what will be needed.

Info for applying for the birth certificate and passport is here: http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/191

Thai citizenship law was amended in March 1992 to effectively permit dual citizenship in the case of your daughter. So the horse has well and truely bolted on that one.

In terms of what you need to do, ubonjoe has it right.

The important element of this is you need the mother to be cooperative so that she signs the required paperwork for the Thai birth cerificate. This MUST be issued by the relevant Thai authority in the child's country of birth, and in this case that means the Thai embassy in London. In normal circumstance both parents trot down to the embassy shortly after the birth of the child and sort the papertwork there and then.

Now, the path of least resistance in your case is that you probably you have to come back to Thailand and sort it through the department of consular affairs at the ministry of foreign affairs in Bangkok.

They effectively handle the Comms and liase with the Thai embassy back in the UK given that the relevant parents are now based back in thailand. They can sort the birth cerificate issueance remotely and when that is done, you can get the child registered on a local 'house book' which effectively issues her with an ID number and ID card.

At which point you can apply for a Thai passport. Once issued, you do a short flight to say singapore or KL, departing on your daughters british passport and re entering on her Thai passport to ensure she has no immigration limits on her stay.

The other issue you have to consider is that until your daughter turns 20, she will need both parents to sign for her Thai passport before she is issued it. That is all well and good if you have a good relationship with the mum.

However, if you don't, I strongly recommend you seek a Thai court to grant you sole custody of your child so that you no longer need the signature of the mother on the Thai passport application. You face the very real situation otherwise of your child effectively stranded in Thailand as she does not have a Thai passport by which to depart the country.

--------------------

If the daughter could get a Thai passport she would be able to enter Thailand without a visa, live here permenantly without needing a visa, and could buy and own land as foriegners can NOT do.

In addition as a Thai national there are jobs she could do here in Thailand that are prohibited to a foriegner to do

Whether that's valuable or not is up to her to decide.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
  • Like 1

Nonsense.

Many Thais have British and Thai passports. They use their Thai passport to enter and exit Thailand and their British passport to enter and exit the UK.

• Like 2

This is answered by other form members already, but I still like to reply.

Pattaya28, please don't post anything that you don't have a idea about.

My son has two pasports, Dutch and Thai.

I love tv because I can find information that I need. People like you make it verry hard to get the information needed.

So, please don't post anny BS.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

First there is no law that states that a Thai cannot have dual nationalities.

Your ex wife is wrong. It cannot be done at an Amphoe. The Thai birth certificate she needs can only be issued by the Thai embassy in London.

The only way to do ii from here is to apply for it through the consular affairs department of the MFA in Bangkok.

You should be able to do it at the Embassy in London without your ex wife being present. She would have to sign some forms and give her consent. She would need to sign the consent and other forms at an Amphoe to have her signature notarized by them.

I suggest you contact the embassy to find out what will be needed.

Info for applying for the birth certificate and passport is here: http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/191

Thai citizenship law was amended in March 1992 to effectively permit dual citizenship in the case of your daughter. So the horse has well and truely bolted on that one.

In terms of what you need to do, ubonjoe has it right.

The important element of this is you need the mother to be cooperative so that she signs the required paperwork for the Thai birth cerificate. This MUST be issued by the relevant Thai authority in the child's country of birth, and in this case that means the Thai embassy in London. In normal circumstance both parents trot down to the embassy shortly after the birth of the child and sort the papertwork there and then.

Now, the path of least resistance in your case is that you probably you have to come back to Thailand and sort it through the department of consular affairs at the ministry of foreign affairs in Bangkok.

They effectively handle the Comms and liase with the Thai embassy back in the UK given that the relevant parents are now based back in thailand. They can sort the birth cerificate issueance remotely and when that is done, you can get the child registered on a local 'house book' which effectively issues her with an ID number and ID card.

At which point you can apply for a Thai passport. Once issued, you do a short flight to say singapore or KL, departing on your daughters british passport and re entering on her Thai passport to ensure she has no immigration limits on her stay.

The other issue you have to consider is that until your daughter turns 20, she will need both parents to sign for her Thai passport before she is issued it. That is all well and good if you have a good relationship with the mum.

However, if you don't, I strongly recommend you seek a Thai court to grant you sole custody of your child so that you no longer need the signature of the mother on the Thai passport application. You face the very real situation otherwise of your child effectively stranded in Thailand as she does not have a Thai passport by which to depart the country.

Thanks, very useful. Fingers crossed that it can be sorted.

• Like 1

I met my Thai wife in the UK, we came here in 1994 with our eldest daughter who was born in the UK 2 years prior to our departure. Our daughter did not have a Thai birth certificate until 2008, when we started the process of getting a Thai passport to avoid the hassle of extensions of stay and 90 day reporting. All my wife had to do was get a certified copy of the translation of our daughters UK birth cetificate by the British Pro Consul. She then took this to the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs who issued a legalised Thai birth certificate. She then went to the amphur (which is the procedure your ex-wife is refering to) and got her name placed my wife's house book. She then was able to get a Thai I.D. card and with the Thai I.D. she was able to get a Thai passport. She now holds both Thai and British Nationality so she does not have to appy for a Visa to the UK or for a Visa for Thailand. She exits and enters here on her Thai passport. For the UK/EU she enters and exits on her British passport. If your ex-wife is willing, you could have the whole process completed within 2 weeks.

• Like 2

I met my Thai wife in the UK, we came here in 1994 with our eldest daughter who was born in the UK 2 years prior to our departure. Our daughter did not have a Thai birth certificate until 2008, when we started the process of getting a Thai passport to avoid the hassle of extensions of stay and 90 day reporting. All my wife had to do was get a certified copy of the translation of our daughters UK birth cetificate by the British Pro Consul. She then took this to the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs who issued a legalised Thai birth certificate. She then went to the amphur (which is the procedure your ex-wife is refering to) and got her name placed my wife's house book. She then was able to get a Thai I.D. card and with the Thai I.D. she was able to get a Thai passport. She now holds both Thai and British Nationality so she does not have to appy for a Visa to the UK or for a Visa for Thailand. She exits and enters here on her Thai passport. For the UK/EU she enters and exits on her British passport. If your ex-wife is willing, you could have the whole process completed within 2 weeks.

Thanks very much. I hope we find it that straightforward too.

Utter nonsense. Thailand does allow dual nationality not only for children of mixes marriages, but they also do not require one to relinquish her/his citizenship when one gets naturalized in Thailand..

its not a waste of time or money, his daughter can hold dual nationality and with a Thai passport/birth certificate she can stay as long as she wants in Thailand with no visa runs. Also he could get a visa to stay in Thailand as caring for his Thai daughter and later for visiting his Thai child.

• Like 1

Fail to see how living in Thailand using a Thai passport is a waste of time and money.

You realy don't understand anything, do you!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Not true actually well at least in my case , she did not have to relinquish anything , she has a Thai passport with indefinite entry to Abode to the UK

"That last time in managed to get through to the Thai embassy, they were adamant that it could only be done in the UK. My ex-wife is adamant that it can be done in Thailand (because her friend had done it that way)."

It can and I did it on my own without anything from the mother as I have sole custody of them, Things may have changed i did My son and my Daughters 4 years ago

• Like 1