Spring cleaning in Bangkok

Lite Beer

Spring cleaning in Bangkok
The Sunday Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) yesterday launched "spring cleaning" operations in Dusit district after the Supreme Court upheld a lower court's verdict against being lenient with street hawkers.

BMA adviser Pol Maj-General Wichai Sangprapai said soldiers, police, municipal and district officials joined forces to clear the area in front of the state-owned Ban Manangkhasila building after the court ruled on January 9 that Dusit District Office's order annulling the leniency granted to vendors was legitimate.

He said the BMA must comply with the court order and ensure that footpaths from Ban Manangkhasila to Paris Theatre are free of vendors. The BMA had allowed the vendors to continue trading until Friday.

Yesterday officials removed large pieces of trash, demolished construction blocking footpaths, repaired traffic signs, cleared drains, repainted road traffic signals and planted trees.

He said the BMA also gave 201 vendors permission to move to an area near Ambassador Theatre and set up stalls at low rents.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Spring-cleaning-in-Bangkok-30254605.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-22

I like the presence of street vendors, I just don't like the lack of planning, organization and I really don't like the filth and litter. There are other ways to do it if people care. But they don't seem to care.

Here are three shots of the oldest section of the town I live in. There's room to walk and park, and if there isn't room to drive the street is shut off.

There's no litter. There's no reason for it. If someone dropped litter, someone else would pick it up. The fine for dropping litter is $250 and enforced, plus it's cultural.

post-164212-0-71463300-1424567649_thumb.

post-164212-0-16352800-1424567662_thumb.

post-164212-0-49425900-1424567688_thumb.

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 1

I like the presence of street vendors, I just don't like the lack of planning, organization and I really don't like the filth and litter. There are other ways to do it if people care. But they don't seem to care.

Here are three shots of the oldest section of the town I live in. There's room to walk and park, and if there isn't room to drive the street is shut off.

There's no litter. There's no reason for it. If someone dropped litter, someone else would pick it up. The fine for dropping litter is $250 and enforced, plus it's cultural.

Please do not make Bangkok as boring as Oregon !

the "street" is what makes Bangkok what it is , sure its insane but that is how it is ,

And who is the ones that are complaining ? because you know the " powers that be " do not give a hoot about what we think !

Long like Bangkok Blight tongue.png

• Like 1

How is a picture of Oregon representative of the issue of Bangkok and it's peddlers?

Not sure how you missed his point. He said its possible to have both.

Just not maybe in Thailand though, where planning is unheard of.

, plus it's cultural. You nailed that one.

Here, everybody loves Thailand to the max, it's just the culture of decorating what you love in trash.

• Like 1

"Spring cleaning in Bangkok"

This should read.....

"The Westernizing of Bangkok is Almost Complete"

A lot of TV complainers will be pleased with this!

Actually, there is a long way to go before this happens - WESTERNIZING that is. A lot of the stupidity has to vanish first.

But I do get your point

Although Thailand claims a low unemployment rate much of that can be attributed to people who resort to selling anything and everything on sois to scratch out a living. Once Thailand is able to provide more and better employment opportunities and provide more of a financial safety net for the poor the number of street vendors will decrease. Then along with better law enforcement the sois will become less cluttered by street vendors and of course Thailand will lose some of that charm which many people consider an important part of Thai culture.

How is a picture of Oregon representative of the issue of Bangkok and it's peddlers?

It not, but the poster concerned cannot resist the opportunity to "fly the flag" every chance he gets

don't upset him, he will start sending you pictures of the front cover of the American English dictionary for some bizarre reason

• Like 2

It not, but the poster concerned cannot resist the opportunity to "fly the flag" every chance he gets

don't upset him, he will start sending you pictures of the front cover of the American English dictionary for some bizarre reason

How boring, looks live some sort of retirement village, not a pretty woman in sight.

Has that busker in the first photo got the proper permit?

How boring, looks live some sort of retirement village, not a pretty woman in sight.

Has that busker in the first photo got the proper permit?

Looks like the set of some crap Yank TV series from the 70s

If the street hawkers are smart, they will all put up signs protesting their removal. That then becomes an expression of free speech. Recall that the Constitutional Court in 2013 ruled that police cannot use ANY kind of force to remove protesters from public property because that violated their freedom of speech. Of course the Junta can counter that by arguing that it abolished such a right but that might not portray Prayuth as a Hero.

If the street hawkers are REALLY smart, they should threaten to march in protests. Then Prayuth will give them subsidies and low interest loans to buy their silence.

How about spring cleaning in The Ravenswood district of Detroit.

Its hardly The Little House On The Prairie or The Waltons.

attachicon.gif2011-12-20-brouwshuff1570.jpg

A Realtor would refer to that house as a fixer-upper just waiting for the right buyer (fool).

and the military would see it as target practice...laugh.png

It rather looks as if they have already used it for target practice!

Bangkok is the most unwalkable city in Asia. Blocked sidewalks by vendors and dangerous holes.

More than a clean-up is needed. Demolish the place and rebuild.

I did notice on my recent trip for passport in Trendy House that the traffic flow is now better in Sois 1 - 13. They have got rid of the pavements.

Hey!

Why not go for a "Retro Spring Cleaning"??

Replace all of the old klongs they filled in years ago to make roads!

Bangkok was one called "The Venice of Asia".

This would solve the problems with both vendors and drivers!

post-147745-0-64045300-1424608443_thumb.

I like clean wide pavement. Also the bussigns should be removed, many are too low and have sharp metal edges.

Streetvendors can go sit under a bridge or so. I also don't like the vendors who walk/drive against traffic, very irresponsible and selfish people.

How about spring cleaning in The Ravenswood district of Detroit.

Its hardly The Little House On The Prairie or The Waltons.

attachicon.gif2011-12-20-brouwshuff1570.jpg

This is not a picture of one of their recent invasions?

think there are betting looking houses in Somalia or down down Baghdad

You know americans are all about exporting america the wider world...

Hey!

Why not go for a "Retro Spring Cleaning"??

Replace all of the old klongs they filled in years ago to make roads!

Bangkok was one called "The Venice of Asia".

This would solve the problems with both vendors and drivers!

attachicon.gifKlongs.jpg

Cannot go back to klongs in some districts down to due to the large level of subsidence that has occured due to ground water levels dropping way off in the past.

Has stabilized now, but still sinking slowly. There is a reason they don't build underground here and instead build massive buildings of carparks above ground.

Edited by jcisco

How about finding a middle way!

You don't need walkways, stuffed with trash and vendors and you don't need them totally empty.

All it takes is a bit of planning, some law enforcement and some common sense.....oh...ahm....boy is it hot outside today, right....whistling.gif