"Plara" in crisis!

Thaivisa News

Udon Thani:- The production of plara or Thai northeastern-traditional fermented fish is now in serious crisis, a major maker in Udon Thani’s Sangcom district said.

According to Thairath Online, a couple, who have been making plara for sale for 50 years, complained that their production this year dropped from 30 tons a year to about just seven or eight tons because of inadequate fish.

Sunantha Khamsang, 63, and his wife, Sinuan Khamsang, 61, are well-known for making delicious plara among local residents and people in the northeastern province and nearby provinces.

Sunanata complained that this year local people could catch much less fish mainly because of drought.

Without enough fish to make plara, the couple could not hire local villagers to help them make plara like in previous years, prompting them to look for jobs in other provinces.

Sunantha said if there is not enough fish to sustain his family industry, his future would be in limbo because he and his wife have no other ways to make their living.

He said the Sangcom is the last district where the canal from Huay Luang Dam runs through before it joins the Mekong River. The drought prompts the canal to almost run dry. Other water reservoirs in the province also have little water left, he said.

Sunantha added that during the past few years, fishes from Mekong could not enter the canal to lay eggs because the water gate was closed during the breeding season.

Plara is a must for northeastern-tradition dishes, especially somtam or papaya salad. Sangcom is very popular as the district that makes the best plara in Thailand and tourists always drop by to buy plara as souvenir from Udon Thani.

Plara? Stinking jars of extremely harmful bacteria. Including. BOTULISM, SALMONELLA, ECOLI, To name a few.

During the Bangkok riots, people made stink bombs, from plastic bags and this smelly mixture of bacteria and threw them at Police.

Poisening, is not caused by bacteria. It is caused by the toxin that the bacteria give off when they die. They are constantly mutiplying and dying, and if left long enough the amount of toxin is enough to cause serious health issues. Even death.. Its the toxin that gives off the smell. This stuff should carry a health warning, or better still regulated as a class a drug would be. Or better still. BANNED.

• Like 1

Plara? Stinking jars of extremely harmful bacteria. Including. BOTULISM, SALMONELLA, ECOLI, To name a few.

During the Bangkok riots, people made stink bombs, from plastic bags and this smelly mixture of bacteria and threw them at Police.

Poisening, is not caused by bacteria. It is caused by the toxin that the bacteria give off when they die. They are constantly mutiplying and dying, and if left long enough the amount of toxin is enough to cause serious health issues. Even death.. Its the toxin that gives off the smell. This stuff should carry a health warning, or better still regulated as a class a drug would be. Or better still. BANNED.

Are we talking about "fish sauce" (nam pla) here? I've never managed to acquire a taste for the stuff much at all myself either, but it is a traditional and almost universally used condiment & cooking ingredient (and not just in Thailand) isn't it? I have no idea whether it carries the hazards you say it does or not (but it's use is so ubiquitous I kind o' have to doubt it), but if we're talking about the stuff I think we're talking about, I seriously doubt Thailand would ever even consider regulating, much less banning, it!

No this is the home made stuff. I visited a villiage in Issan a while ago and i was shown how they make it. They get fish from a polluted river cover it with watever water is available and seal the jar. Bury it in the ground and let it ferment for up to six months.

Doesn't the commercial stuff undergo a simply more controlled/uniform version of the same fermentation process? You don't get any nam pla anywhere without fermentation of fish, which is going to stink, do you? But I do understand that you might not necessarily want to live downwind from a neighbor making the homemade brew.

Don't confuse the issue.

NAM PLAH is the fish sauce used as a condiment all over Thailand. Made industrially by fermenting anchovies with salt and straining the liquor. Factories are usually in coastal areas where both sea salt and fish are available.

PLA RAH, the subject of this topic is made by fermenting rice paddy fish especially gourami with rice liquor in sealed jars (clay pots) and is a cottage industry in the North East of Thailand. The resultant mush is much used (and demanded) for flavouring certain dishes and the locals eat it directly with rice too.

The Vietnamese have an even stronger smelling equivalent so think youselves unlucky because a shortage of the Thai product will probably result in the import of a more virulent version!

According to Thairath Online, a couple, who have been making plara for sale for 50 years, complained that their production this year dropped from 30 tons a year to about just seven or eight tons because of inadequate fish.

Sunantha Khamsang, 63, and his wife, Sinuan Khamsang, 61, are well-known for making delicious plara among local residents and people in the northeastern province and nearby provinces.

They were very young when they started making their poison.

Are we talking about "fish sauce" (nam pla) here? I've never managed to acquire a taste for the stuff much at all myself either, but it is a traditional and almost universally used condiment & cooking ingredient (and not just in Thailand) isn't it? I have no idea whether it carries the hazards you say it does or not (but it's use is so ubiquitous I kind o' have to doubt it), but if we're talking about the stuff I think we're talking about, I seriously doubt Thailand would ever even consider regulating, much less banning, it!

Fish sauce by variations is an international condiment . But it also usually looks like something edible. The local version is something else. I can and will not consider it edible. Nor will I allow it inside my car, even if triple bagged!

Not fish sauce...this is what they like to put on som tam.....when a thai girl pronounces it it sounds like. Balaht......plara sam same. Horrible. ......fish sauce is nom pla and its what is used in place of salt....still pretty bad how its mase but it is cooked and filtered.