How many batteries have you had?

Goldieinkathu

My car is almost 4 years old and I've just had to replace the battery for the 2nd time from new. Ford tells me it's normal for the battery to be replaced every 2 years as "the car is computerized". Spoken to a friend in the UK and they still have the original in a 2009 car. They know I know nothing about cars and I"m beginning to wonder if they are just ripping me off?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 years on my current pickup battery but these colder mornings lately suggest it is time for replacement .

The bikes have an appetite for them though and seem to only last 6 months (which I could say the same about the batteries in the missus's personal massage wand).

Maybe depends on the Brand ?

My 2004 Honda Jazz. had to have a new battery every 14 months, [oddly was cheaper than Trade that did not sell the same brand]

The Audi changed the original battery after 9 years... back in 2005 the Honda Battery fitted at Honda cost just under 900 baht.. 2010 the new Audi battery was just under 5,000 baht, + still going strong... The Mazda BT50 battery had to be changed last Nov, at 3 years old and 300,000 KM.

Would have thought 2 years for a normal Ford Battery was fine and about right.

The heat affects them.....2-4 years seems to be about right....the one in the SUV is supposed to be a 5 year - we'll see.....installer told us the Pansonic he took out was a 1 year battery - lasted 2.....have to research brands here as some are unfamiliar.....

So many different answers, I guess it's like saying how long's a piece of string.

Normally I've gone with a Ford battery but this time I got one from one of these battery shops you see around town. It was 3.200B, a bit cheaper than the Ford, so I'll see if it lasts any longer.

It's a "Boliden Power Silvertech SMF" whatever that means, certainly looks more fancy than the Ford one biggrin.png .

Ok, thanks for all the replies , this forum's a God send when you're a car dummy like me. giggle.gif

My D-Max battery is just 3 years old ... I'll go for Boliden when the time comes ... hopefully change before it dies... it's true you may be unlucky and it will die without much warning. Very controversial!! but I open the bonnet after a run whenever I can ... it does keep the area around the battery cooler and temperature ages the battery ... google that if you are interested or a dis-believer.

Here is the Boliden info ... http://www.bbautobattery.com/Boliden_Dry_Price.html

In a hot climate batteries lifetime is shorter, but the quality differs a lot too.

Cheap batteries last a year or so and the more expensive ones will last 3 or more years.

When it dies you have very little warning, one day you sense it has less power and the next it's dead.

before, had to change every 2 years; now in the present pickup 5ys+ already. I think 2 measures greatly help: Open the bonnet after driving whereever possible and plug in a battery charger at least twice a week for a full night - should be a more sophisticated electronic thing which avoids overcharging; don't buy any of that lowly Thai or Chinese rubbish

Under hood heat kills lead acid batteries....The average life is 2 years, sadly.....sad.png

Not if you maintain them properly and its not a cheap model. Regular fluid checks incl top ups when needed and put on a battery charger when left for longer periods. No reason not to get 3+ years out of most ! I'm guessing most people never even check the fluid level and just replace the battery when it dies :) Edited by cornishcarlos

Under hood heat kills lead acid batteries....The average life is 2 years, sadly.....sad.png

Not if you maintain them properly and its not a cheap model. Regular fluid checks incl top ups when needed and put on a battery charger when left for longer periods. No reason not to get 3+ years out of most ! I'm guessing most people never even check the fluid level and just replace the battery when it dies smile.png
I'm sorry but you are somewhat mis-informed, so live and learn ... heat kills the battery ... just google and you will find graphs of temperature v life... YES Of course you need to maintain the water level unless it's a 'sealed for life' one. However mine never needs a top up between service intervals and it's just the original battery which Isuzu supplied with the truck. enjoy

It will probably 'kin die tomorrow ..............

Edited by JAS21

Correct! Every 10 degree C over 25 C, half the life span of the battery. You can easily have 50-60 degrees C under the hood here in Thailand. BMW is one brand that have addressed this and placed the battery in the trunk! BMW owners, expect 6-7 years lifespan on your batteries, for the rest with battery upfront, 4 years seems to be the upper limit. Also open the hood when possible to went out the heat and save the battery.

The best you by a maintenance free battery, so the liquid vaporize slower. It have a little window who clearly indicate the level, never had to fill up in 2 years.

Take also a battery with a higher power then your carbook tells, I need 30 and by a 40.

Also cut yuor airco and fan before to stop the engine and put on the airco and fan after you start the engine.

Not if you maintain them properly and its not a cheap model. Regular fluid checks incl top ups when needed and put on a battery charger when left for longer periods. No reason not to get 3+ years out of most ! I'm guessing most people never even check the fluid level and just replace the battery when it dies smile.png

You tell me how to "maintain' a battery to make it last longer other than putting water in it..?

Distilled water every three months, and check for possible corrosion at the poles. That will do. Mine is 5 years plus and counting.

Also cut yuor airco and fan before to stop the engine and put on the airco and fan after you start the engine.

Why.....?

Because you wonder how many power the compressoror from your airco takes from the engine, so the engine needs more power to start.

If it is possible I even dont put on the airco (open the windows, so I save on the fuel consumptiom too.

Why.....?

Because you wonder how many power the compressoror from your airco takes from the engine, so the engine needs more power to start.

If it is possible I even dont put on the airco (open the windows, so I save on the fuel consumptiom too.

Thought we were talking battery longevity.........

A/C uses around a 4 hp of the engines power, nothing to do with the battery, except the A/C's operating stuff, clutch etc, which the alternator takes care of.

I wanted to say that by starting the engine and the compressor and fan are on the starter takes more power of the battery because its harder to start.

My D-Max battery is just 3 years old ... I'll go for Boliden when the time comes ... hopefully change before it dies... it's true you may be unlucky and it will die without much warning. Very controversial!! but I open the bonnet after a run whenever I can ... it does keep the area around the battery cooler and temperature ages the battery ... google that if you are interested or a dis-believer.

Here is the Boliden info ... http://www.bbautobattery.com/Boliden_Dry_Price.html

I used to work for Siam Pan Group at the Boliden/Trane car battery factory. Glad you like Boliden batteries, however these are made in Thailand in Phatumthani not Sweden for the Thai and Asian market.

Whilst it is true that the higher working temperatures here in the short term (>10 years) gives a higher output through the battery life, the higher temperatures limits the battery life to 10 years whilst in UK temperatures they can last up to 30 years at 85% capacity. On commercial projects working to BS, EU or other typical standards, we specify batteries with a 10 year life. Having said that, the batteries manufactured for the car manufacturers here are lightweight to reduce weight, space requirements and therefore costs. Minimum life is 1 year to 18 months as shown on the Boliden link that you gave. I just had a battery replaced on my Honda CRV for free because it failed to hold charge after 14 months as the guaranteed minimum was 18 months.

If you want a Lead-Acid battery to last 3 - 5 years it will be bigger and will not fit into the tiny space available in a modern car.

Edited by Estrada

You tell me how to "maintain' a battery to make it last longer other than putting water in it..?

Like I said, regular water top ups and put it on a charger. Which you just repeated a few posts later :)

2 years is not the average unless you don't look after them.

Sorry, I know you hate being contradicted on anything motor related...