How many batteries have you had?

Goldieinkathu

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your lucky if you get over 2 years here in Thailand these are not sealed batteries like in the west they have water fill here. Yes open up the caps and check the water level .

They sell maintenance free batteries here also....my last three batteries have been the maintenance free just like they sell in the west. That is, they are sealed on the top....no way to add water. Well, I guess you could add some water if you drilled some holes or cut off the top. No problem at all finding maintenance free batteries....in fact when looking on a Thai battery manufacture website you'll see just as many maintenance free batteries list as non maintenance free batteries.

Maintenance free batteries come in several varieties like the "flooded/wet" type which are nothing more than the flooded/wet type where you can add water except with the maintenance free type they come with a little more electrolyte (i.e., the acid and water mix) and have a sealed top. The Maintenance Free battery also has a little different positive and negative plates construction with small amounts calcium and maybe silver added to reduce water loss and internal corrosion.

Maintenance free batteries are usually going to be 10 to 20% more expensive than the conventional type where water can be added....and this is not to imply the maintenance free batteries last any longer than a properly maintained add-water-when-necessary type. I expect the non-maintenance free type compose the great majority of the Thai market but that market share is slowly changing as maintenance free batteries become more popular and closer in price.

• 6 months later...

Well 6 years and 1 month and the battery on my Pajaro has just died, probably due to the exception cold weather at the moment, just fitted a new GS 120 Hybrid battery at 2600, cheap as chips? guaranteed for 1 year, normal caps so will check the water weekly as always and if lasts another 6 years will be fine by me as I intend to get a new one well before then. car that is..

Had to give my neighbor a jump-start today for his Mitsubishi Triton truck (around 4 years old) this morning. His Panasonic battery is only a little over a year old....this is his second battery since getting the truck....the original factory battery and now this Panasonic battery. He said the truck has trouble starting in cold weather....I giggle under my breath as the cold weather he is talking about is only 18C/64F which it got down to here in western Bangkok last night....to most Thais 18C is "freezing cold weather." (giggle, giggle).

I told him his battery is probably going bad/getting very close to the end and the cooler weather takes away some of battery's starting power. Don't think he believes me that his battery is probably failing. Up to him...he had to go straight to work right after getting it jump started. I expect he'll check his battery terminals and alternator output when he gets a chance. I told him I stand ready to jump-start him again because you just never now when your battery will fail....that's why I always carry jumper cables with me as they have saved me several times over my various vehicles lifetime and I've given many people a jump-start over the years.

And 6 years vehicle battery life is very good for any engine, low compression petrol/gasoline engine or high compression diesel engine. Diesel engines really stress a battery due to the extra battery amperage needed to crank the engine. Petrol engines usually get much longer life out of a battery.

Edited by Pib

• 1 year later...

I have a bmw so the battery is the boot of the car and have had the car for 10 years now. I usually get 2 to 3 years maximum no matter which battery i buy. I do try to buy the best though as I am back home for a few months out of the year so my friend starts it for me while i am away. Also I have a couple of amplifiers running to it also. The guy who i go to fills air and sells batteries only and has been doing it for over a decade. He says doesn't matter which brand or the ones that need water added to it, they last the same. Seem here the concesus is what water filled ones last longer but it will go as dead as yesterday if the water level is not maintained properly even for a short amount time. This is my current battery i go 15 months ago, seems to be fine. 

bat.jpg

Just replaced the OEM battery in the Ranger 3.2 at exactly 2 years old. I had the first spontaneous flat battery 18 months ago, the next time was 6 months ago, then 3 times in the last couple of weeks. Truck spends most of its life in Pattaya.

I bought a Boliden which according to the roadside assist guy and a couple of battery shops I tried, are getting harder to find than 3 years ago when I bought one to replace the duff OEM battery in the last Ranger 2.2. That truck spent most of its life in Udon.

When Mrs NL sold her 5 year-old CR-V, it was (just) on its third battery. Mostly in Udon also.

9 hours ago, kartman said:

My parts supplier kicked Boliden into touch approx 5years ago because they did not honour warranty claims they must be working their way around suppliers.

Is that the way it works? One parts supplier gets dissatisfied, cancels his contract and the whole nationwide battery making enterprise suddenly goes to the wall?

Here's looking at your CCA.

On 2/10/2017 at 6:57 AM, NanLaew said:

Is that the way it works? One parts supplier gets dissatisfied, cancels his contract and the whole nationwide battery making enterprise suddenly goes to the wall?

Here's looking at your CCA.

My personal experience which may reflect why the fact you brought up a companies products are becoming harder to find, no need to get into a 'Froth' over it:saai:

2 hours ago, kartman said:

My personal experience which may reflect why the fact you brought up a companies products are becoming harder to find, no need to get into a 'Froth' over it:saai:

No froth over your personal experience... or rather the experience of one of your parts suppliers. Warranties (written or implied) are all a bit of smoke & mirrors in LOS after all.

Your assertion that 

...they must be working their way around suppliers.

is just conjecture.

Since the Mondiale Assist (roadside assistance) guy probably jump starts dozens of vehicles each week using his Boliden battery, I would listen to his opinion about how good that product is. That and my ~40,000 trouble-free km on Boliden power... so far.

Edited by NanLaew

On 1/26/2016 at 1:21 PM, Gary A said:

I must be extra lucky. The batteries in all my things that have a battery have lasted longer than five years. My Yanmar tractor battery just died after about 8 years.

Exactly the same experience as me, always last over 5 years, but I do maintain the correctly and use the vehicles regularly on long journeys, not just to 7 11 and back. 

On 6/21/2015 at 7:03 PM, Pib said:

They haven't lasted for me. Had two such Boliden SMF Mx Free Batteries, RC 110A, CCA 940A. First one lasted 22 months (that was my longest lasting battery in Thailand so far), second one just died after only 15 months...died today. I'm through with Boliden. As of today I'm giving the GS Super Diamond Double Lid Mx Free battery a try because genuine Toyata batteries (actually made by FB I think) and Boliden SMF Mx Free batteries have had short lifespans on my 2009 Fortuner 3.0L engine...and the charging and starting systems are fine as checked my me, dealership, and battery shop.

I will just requote my earlier post regarding my experience with two Boliden batteries here in Thailand....that is, they haven't been any better than other batteries although the Boliden batteries come with a premium price.  And my charging system is working perfectly based no my own testing/monitoring and checks at the Toyota dealership and battery shops.....but most importantly I'm sure my charging system is working fine based on my own testing.   Just the tropical environment and quality of the batteries are the main issues.

That GS battery I mentioned above is still alive and well in my Forturner....going on 19 months now.  But for this GS battery (first one I've had) I installed an electronic desulfator,  every 6 months or so I've give the battery an equalization charge, and done some heat shielding of the battery.  Time will tell if all this helps but I'm pretty sure at this point it is helping. And at 19 months the GS battery has already beat the "average life span" of my previous batteries on my Fortuner 3.0L Diesel.

Just now, Jai Dee said:

Is there any simple way to test your battery in order to obtain it's predictive remaining life span?

You need an Amp tester and a hydrometer...Battery shop 'has' them for testing..Volt meter tells you basic stuff, not actual stuff..

1 minute ago, transam said:

You need an Amp tester and a hydrometer...Battery shop 'has' them for testing..Volt meter tells you basic stuff, not actual stuff..

And what are you looking for when testing?

What are "healthy" results and what are not?

What defines the acceptance criteria for a "healthy" battery?

4 minutes ago, Jai Dee said:

And what are you looking for when testing?

What are "healthy" results and what are not?

What defines the acceptance criteria for a "healthy" battery?

The old gadget we used was an insulated thingy that you put across both terminals to draw as much amps as possible, it had a gauge on it to reveal all...

4 hours ago, transam said:

You can't, L/acid only....The amp thingy is the key for amp draw...

A hydrometer is really only good to compare cells....possibly find one or more bad cells.  But even hydrometers can be fooled on the true state of "charge" since it reacts to a voltage level within the cell.  Although the voltage level may be normal, the cell still may have lost much of it's "capacity" to hold a charge.    Hydrometers were popular in past days when almost all batteries were open top lead acid batteries and hand held voltage/current meters were still to expensive for most folks.

It's like how our computer and smartphone batteries will charge to 100% (which is just a voltage measurement) but they don't give you the operating time they use to when new....that battery may have gave you 4 hours of operation when new but when it gets old in may only give you 1 hour.   It still charges up to full voltage but it just don't have the amperage capacity it use to.

Yes, placing a high current draw load on the battery and measuring the current and voltage levels is a good test.   Using a battery load tester will run that test where it will draw around 100 amps from the battery and check the voltage level....if the voltage level drops below a certain level the battery has loss a good amount of it's charge/amperage capacity and it's nearing the end of it's useful lifespan.  And near the lifespan end car batteries can just decide to have a heart attack out of the blue and not have enough power to even blow the horn.  Preaching to the choir I know.

Now days a person can pick up a battery load test like below off Ebay for around $30 USD.   Hook the leads to the battery, press the load switch for about 5 seconds which puts an approx 100 amp load across the battery, check the voltage reading and make a determination.  Like if you had a 600 amp hour battery you would not want the voltage to drop below around 10.5V as 9 to 10.5V would be considered a weak battery.  And if you had a small amp hour battery so 200 amps in size then you would not want it to drop below 10V to still be considered good....9 to 10V would be considered a weak battery.     And person can continue on with additional testing like measuring the voltage during cranking of the engine and checking the charging system.  

Yeap, putting a significant load on a battery using a tester like below....OR just measuring the voltage with a hand held voltmeter while someone crank's the engine and using the voltage level guidance below is just as good of a way to go.    An analog or more fancy digital version of below is all Thai battery shops/auto repair shops use when checking batteries....and many times their tester is not generating any load but only measuring voltage levels while cranking the engine and after the engine has started....once again referencing back to the voltage levels shown on below meter for the amp hour size (200, 400, 600, 800, or 1000) of your battery.

Capture.JPG

Batteries that stay topped up last much longer. Driving a kilometer to the market and then a kilometer going back home will not keep your battery topped up. I'd guess that many batteries last only a year when used like that. Probably the reason my batteries last five years or longer is because we live in the boonies and the average trip is about 6 kilometers one way. The newer vehicles with all the electronic crap and only driven short distances will no doubt have a short battery life. My Isuzu with keyless ignition, automatic folding mirrors  and all the other electronic controlled things may have a much shorter life. That battery is about a year and a half old now. Only time will tell how long the battery will last.

Our car shop will always check the batteries when they come in from the distributor and before we put them in the customer's car.

I think especially checking the CCA is important as this is one of those things you can't really fix by charging a battery.

We used to deal in GS, but those batteries came with 20 to 30% less CCA as it said on the box.

For us, 3K, Panasonic, Bosch and Hitachi are the batteries which real CCA is the closest to the advertised one.

Also, 3K makes a lot of batteries white label for other manufactures (some Bolidens, Hitachi, FB, etc)