Phuket residents block entrance to hotel

webfact

Phuket residents block entrance to hotel
Suthicha Sirirat

1424664203_1-org.jpg

The group believe the hotel had sent a complaint letter about noise from a nearby mosque.

PHUKET: -- More than 200 residents from Baan Ao Makham blocked the entrance to a Cape Panwa hotel last Thursday (February 19) in protest against a letter of complaint they believe the hotel sent about noise disturbance from a nearby mosque.

The residents believe that the Phuket Panwa Beachfront Resort sent a complaint letter to the Prime Minister̕s Office about loud noise coming from the Iszhatul Mosque between 5-6am and 11pm-midnight every day.

The group were demanding an answer over the issue, with the leader stating that the complaint is not justified especially as the mosque never has calls to prayer between 11pm and midnight.

The protest came to the attention of Vice Governor, Somkiet Songkhawsuttirak who arrived at the scene together with police.

The residents requested that the Damrongtham Centre and Prime Minister̕s Office provide them with the name of the person who filed the complain.

They also wanted the Phuket Panwa Beachfront Resort to speak to them about wether they had issued the letter or not and stated that if the problem was not solved within a week they would take the matter into their own hands.

A representative from the resort told V/Gov Somkiet and the protesting group that the resort has been there a long time and that they had never filed such a complaint.

They advised that the resort CEO is currently in Bangkok and therefore could not comment any further on the matter.

However, the representative advised that the CEO would be back in Phuket on February 26.

V/Gov Somkiet told all parties to meet again on February 26 but some residents stayed and blocked the entrance of the resort while others went home after speaking with the V/Gov.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-residents-block-entrance-to-hotel-51127.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-02-23

I wish I would file a report about my local Wat, that starts blaring their speakers from 5 in the morning.

But nobody will listen to me anywaysad.png

You live in a Buddhist country suck in up.

Bad news, Pattaya is also in Thailand and it's still Buddhist.

facepalm.gif

• Like 2

Whoever filled the complaint, I sympathize with him/her.

I wish I would file a report about my local Wat, that starts blaring their speakers from 5 in the morning.

But nobody will listen to me anywaysad.png

That's one of the reasons I'm moving to Pattayathumbsup.gif

Bit like moving to the Vatican and complaining about the church bells......

• Like 1

It seems in this situation that a representative from the mosque could have made an appointment to meet and talk the matter over with the resort but nooooo, they get da mob and make threats.... oh, yea, a mosque.

If you read the article then you'll note the hotel complained first so perhaps they should have approached the Mosque in the first instance?

"in protest against a letter of complaint they believe the hotel sent about noise disturbance from a nearby mosque."

So, let's go cause a noisy disturbance and disrupt business. facepalm.gif

Uncle Too, More than 200 residents blatantly violated your Martial Law and nothing was done about it.

Disgraceful. You should resign.

"and stated that if the problem was not solved within a week they would take the matter into their own hands." wai2.gifwai.gif

Care to explain that threat?

• Like 2

It seems in this situation that a representative from the mosque could have made an appointment to meet and talk the matter over with the resort but nooooo, they get da mob and make threats.... oh, yea, a mosque.

If you read the article then you'll note the hotel complained first so perhaps they should have approached the Mosque in the first instance?

If you read the article you'll note that it is unclear who complained.

• Like 2

Muslims once again showing their true colors, ready to lynch anyone who oppose them (even if they are not sure).

So what if someone sent a complaint about noise. Assuming the mosque is indeed calling to prayer, it is indeed a justified complaint. All muslims know when it is time for prayer, so there is no need to bother all the non muslims with their annoying noise pollution.

Edited by monkeycountry
  • Like 2

Why didn't the Army move in and arrest them? I thought it was ilegal to protest or gather in a group of 5 or more. Is martial law only preserved for one group of people. The Mad Monk gathers 200+ people to demonstrate and nothing is done and now these people. If the turn a blind eye to some then they have to turn a blind eye for all Thais and not drive a wedge and just look after your friends.

Now, now, mustn't upset the followers of the religion of peace...

They've already taken matters into their own hands by blocking access to the resort, with zero proof the complaint came from there...

• Like 1

The mosques are .... loud. Before I moved from Kamala about local "peaceful" muslim population and their Allah screaming.\

And,

there is army coup so more than 5 people can't make group on the road and public areas ...

Edited by Loles

"in protest against a letter of complaint they believe the hotel sent about noise disturbance from a nearby mosque."

So, let's go cause a noisy disturbance and disrupt business. facepalm.gif

Uncle Too, More than 200 residents blatantly violated your Martial Law and nothing was done about it.

Disgraceful. You should resign.

"and stated that if the problem was not solved within a week they would take the matter into their own hands." wai2.gifwai.gif

Care to explain that threat?

If this were 2 businesses confronting each other then the offending party would have to make financial restitution but when a mosque is involved the offending party has to pay with blood. When will we ever learn?

What the heck is wrong with a "Letter of Complaint" (assuming the hotel DID in fact send one, as "guessed" by the mob)? 'Sounds rational and within the law. Why must they go argue with the mosque? Let the mosque send a Letter of Response (or whatever) if they wish. How is escalating the matter with a mob and blocked access the right answer? The fact that the mosque chose this kind of response suggests the reception the hotel would've gotten HAD it tried to approach the mosque directly, a fact of which I suspect the hotel management might have been very well aware.

• Like 2

The name of the general manager is Denis Martin. I take this as an indication (perhaps mistakenly) that the hotel is foreign owned. If that is the case I suspect (perhaps mistakenly) that the local thais would see them as an easy/soft target and do not fear the repercussions that would result from behaving in such a way towards a locally owned establishment. One that perhaps had "protection" or was "connected".

If so it is just another example of them all joining in to give the "farang" a kicking. Good old fashioned xenophobia, not moslem fundamentalism.This is all conjecture on my part. No doubt one of the local (Phuket) TV contributors can refute or confirm my suspicions.

Edited by Enoon