Certificate of Residency Chiang Mai - Good News

Went down to get one today, and stopped at Immigration across from Promenada Mall.

Painless. Only had to wait in line for copies and fotos.

If I had them when I arrived, it would have taken 5 minutes max.

Go into door 4, young man sitting at a desk along the wall to your left.

Pick up Tomorrow afternoon.

• Like 1

what papers were needed? and where exactly is the office located?

thanx rick

Copy of Rental Agreement, or copy of blue house book with owners name and house address - signed by owner stating you live/rent here. This will be two separate pages, usually the first page in book is the legal description.

Copy front and back of owners ID card - signed

Copy your passport, including visa page and arrival stamp

2 foto

500 baht

Located directly across the 1317 from Promenada Mall. Take the first road past the sign which says Frontage Road - no Immigration sign.

Hi. A bit of topic,

but could you please try to make topic titles that most people can understand ?

Who knows what CNX means ? I suppose very very few people... sad.png

Looking on Google Thailand, CNX could be Chiang Mai Airport,

but I fail to see the relation with Certificate of Residence ??

I would be interested to hear if *anyone* *ever* asked for, and received, a receipt for paying the Bt 500.

- Since the service is supposed to be "free", is the request for payment of the Bt 500 just a straight-forward rip-off (ie corruption) ?

The best part is that they ask 500 baht per-copy of the Residency Certificate... I needed 3 copies when I went there recently... No joy and no receipt, but I did get them the next day...

Hi. A bit of topic,

but could you please try to make topic titles that most people can understand ?

Who knows what CNX means ? I suppose very very few people... sad.png

Looking on Google Thailand, CNX could be Chiang Mai Airport,

but I fail to see the relation with Certificate of Residence ??

just to make your day, BKK stands for Bangkok.

Everyone here knows what CNX means. (Chiang Mai!)

• Like 1

Have to admit, I've always found it a bit strange when people refer to cities by their airport abbreviation. (Unless you're actually in the airport, of course.)

When I lived there we abbreviated it CM. Easy enough, I would have thought.

--Roota (born in NRT, currently in CGK, planning to spend the summer in YYZ -- can I say that now?)

• Like 1

Have to admit, I've always found it a bit strange when people refer to cities by their airport abbreviation. (Unless you're actually in the airport, of course.)

--Roota (born in NRT, currently in CGK, planning to spend the summer in YYZ -- can I say that now?)

You should go to Malaysia where every town in conversation is referred to by a few letters. For instance KL = Kuala Lumpur KK = Kota Kinabalu JB = Johar Baru

Sorry but I fail to see the good news in paying a 500B bribe to get the Cert. next day. I am going to get my Cert. in a few days - had to wait 1 month cause I refuse to pay bribe for something thats for free

Sad thing is that outside this place they have a big sign saying "Dont pay fee if its free"

All in all your story is "Bad news" ...

• Like 1

Not good news... same same as always if you take the 500 baht bribe route...

It clearly states on the board right above the window. You should NOT have to pay for this service and it should only take 7-10 days.

You people keep paying the bribe money makes it a PITA...

beatdeadhorse.gif.pagespeed.ce.adWp7jUAu

thanx rick

Copy of Rental Agreement, or copy of blue house book with owners name and house address - signed by owner stating you live/rent here. This will be two separate pages, usually the first page in book is the legal description.

2 foto

500 baht

Located directly across the 1317 from Promenada Mall. Take the first road past the sign which says Frontage Road - no Immigration sign.

Edited by Nowisee
  • Like 1

I would be interested to hear if *anyone* *ever* asked for, and received, a receipt for paying the Bt 500.

- Since the service is supposed to be "free", is the request for payment of the Bt 500 just a straight-forward rip-off (ie corruption) ?

If anyone can show me a valid official receipt for an immigration residence certificate I will buy them a beer.

The fee is not legitimate and so there will never be a receipt.

thanx rick

2 foto

500 baht

I've had 5 of the damn things in Chiang Rai.

No photocopy owner's id, no photocopies of arrival stamp, no 2 fotos, and doesn't cost anything.

Just copy of lease and passport/visa.

Always done right there and within an hour.

Mae Sai office.

Edited by duanebigsby

thanx rick

2 foto

500 baht

Udon Thani, 500 baht, no receipt, who cares, letter within one hour. Get my own copies, 1 baht each. What is it with Chiang Mai, are they busier than Udon. Don't think so, maybe the staff at Udon are more efficient.

Complain about people complaining about everything and then you complain... 5555

In case you missed it...it's a free service provided by immigration. Not that it's "suppose to be" or that it's a small amount... it's corruption.

I also went to the new Immigration office primarily for the Myanmar workers permits. I paid the 500 baht as well. But I think the Certificate should be for at least 6 months, or the remaining time shown on your visa. I don't mind paying the fee. It is such a small amount ($15.) US. To many Farangs complain about everything when it comes to fees. If you don't like what is

going on in Thailand F^%k leave. Thats all I read in this Thailand Forum. Stupid farangs asking stupid questions on visa requirements. How to do this or that. Its getting mighty old reading the same stuff over and over again. I would love to see someone make a small paperback showing each form how to fill it out and what is needed to apply, how many copies of each stamp in your passport are needed. I would also like to see more leniency at Immigration on those who have been married to a Thai for more that 20 years, and living here in Thailand dumping tons of money into the Thai economy. Owning your own home for years, but still reporting every 90 days is stupid. If you haven't moved, and still live at the same address, and have a one year visa, Why the 90 day report in......makes no sense. If you have a thai drivers license, first year, then one for five years. Why still a 90 day report in? You have established residency, you have your own bank account, your married to a Thai for over 20 years, bought a house and land under your wives name, But still not considered a resident makes no sense at all. Everything about me has been documented repeatedly at Immigrations. You would think Immigrations would simplify things to make their own workload more efficient. What is needed is to cut the unnecessary

bull out of the system. and just deal with those on Tourist visa's. No extensions. After 30 days you go back home period, and reapply for a different visa.

To many stay beyond their 30 day visa, that causes problems for themselves. Thai Immigration should simply kick them out of the county. Those who have proper visa's plus 1 or more years extensions such as retirement, playing by the rules; leave them alone. They are part of thai society, and are not a threat to the country. I've been wanting to get theses issues of my chest for a lone time. And for you oldies that have been making remarks about visa runs and such, How about start writing about real issues that are not being address for us long time stay/retired farangs. How about forming a meeting with high government officials in Bangkok about changing Immigration rules, and making life easier for us that are semi-residents of Thailand with an "O" visa status! Stop being the "old geysers that know it all" yet will not budge from your "Lazzy-boy" chairs and make some use of your valuable insights! Change is long over do!

Edited by Nowisee
  • Like 1

Jomtien charges 300 Baht for 30 minute service. The have a car and motorcycle special were you get two for 500 Baht. You are paying for expedited service. Paying 500 Baht and coming back is no deal. You can get it for free but you will piss them of and they will screw with you if you come back for something else.

To get it free pay them the bribe then when they give you the document ask the for a receipt. They will hem and haw and say not give. Most offices are supposed to have a board that list all services in English and Thai. It will also state prices. The board does not have 500 Baht proof of residency on it because its free. Point to board and ask where is the price? Then mention the words "corruption" and. "embassy". It helps to be as well dressed as you possibly can. If you have gold where it. The rich and powerful don't get shaken down in Thailand at least not by bureaucrats trying to charge for a free service.

Be really polite and smile, like you know you have them.

Your money will be returned, this scam helps them pay Giks and gambling debts so they don't want it jeopardized. If they have to let one Farang twenty more will show up happy to pay.

Now, I know many of you suffer from Stockholm syndrome and will rush to say they a poor civil servants just trying to make a buck. Thats fine pay them if you want, I do depending on my mood or if in the Jomtien example they are reasonable and actually doing something for me.

• Like 1

I also went to the new Immigration office primarily for the Myanmar workers permits. I paid the 500 baht as well. But I think the Certificate should be for at least 6 months, or the remaining time shown on your visa. I don't mind paying the fee. It is such a small amount ($15.) US. To many Farangs complain about everything when it comes to fees. If you don't like what is

going on in Thailand F^%k leave.

I dont mind paying real fees for real services, with an official tariff and for which I get a proper receipt.

I do mind paying for nasty little scams. And that is all this is.

• Like 1

You guys just don't get it. The certificate of Residency is suposidly a document to support proof of your intentions

of being a resident of Thailand long enough to obtain a drivers license and bank account. not enough to prove residency

full time. I agree it is a rip off, but someone has to pay for the little girls in the office who handles the paperwork, The immigration official who shuffles through the forms to find your paperwork. You can find many places in your own countries that have their own form of scamming. Police officers writing tickets and you pay on the spot. The southern states have many

places where scamming goes on all the time for out of towers driving on a sunny afternoon, not aware of a 25 MPH speed sign laying down on the side of the road. Your certificate of residency in hand is your receipt of payment. When you go to the health clinic for statement showing your healthy enough to drive or ride a motor bike.........Thats a rip off also, but you pay the money anyway 100 baht-up to 1,000 baht depending which hospital you go to. When you go to a bar, and you pay the bar fine to take that girl to a motel, does she give you a receipt for pleasure? When was the last time you paid cash for gas in your car. Did you get a receipt? These little mom and pop stores, buy anything.....do you get a receipt? Don't Rock the boat over

$15. It may cost you more next time you try to extend your visa, or even denied.

Or "Changers" = Chiang Mai, "Bangers" = Bangkok, "Singers" = Singapore, "Honkers" = Hong Kong,.....!!! and more.....

The simplest solution is for them to say; "There is an official 500bht fee for a certificate"......end of! Everyone knows where they stand.

I don't know why they don't "officially" charge? It takes time and staff to produce them.

The last time I was tempted to get one from the British Consulate, they wanted 2800bht, but hey, I would get a receipt! Woohoo! Needless to say, I did a quick U-turn straight back out!

In comparison, 500baht is cheap!

Edited by kjhbigv