Ive overstayed my 30 day visa by 7 days

Hi All

Big problem.

Ive returned to Thailand with my thai wife and two kids to stay and we have misunderstood the chap in the Oz Embassy re visa.

We understood from him we had 90 days initially ( without a proper tourist visa ) and then i had to apply for the marriage visa within 90 days of been here in Thailand.

Went to an old friends for dinner last night and he advised me that i have messed up and only have 30 days initially on an Oz passport.

Im now 7 days over.

we range immigration and all they said was i have to fly out today and hope i dont get blacklisted. Not sure what the fines are? and how long the blacklisting is. We just bought a car and have our container arriving soon so we are a bit freaked out.

If i get blacklisted i will not be able to be with my wife and kids.

Any clarification or help on my situation would be most appreciated.

JT

You have a stamp in your passport of how long you are allowed to stay - you get that on entry - if you were at Embassy I would have thought you would have obtained a tourist visa allowing 60 day stay and extendable to 90 days. Have you checked your passport?

If your permitted to stay stamp really shows you are 7 days beyond you will be fined 500 baht per day so 3,500 baht as of today.

On second read note you make distinction of 'proper tourist visa' so guess you did not bother to get visa and so only received the 30 day visa exempt entry. If you leave by air it should not be a big problem. But I would take marriage/wife paperwork/copies and get a non immigrant O visa during the trip and be down with it.

You will not be blacklisted for your overstay. That is complete nonsense you were told.

The overstay fine is 500 baht a day.

Not sure what they were telling you at embassy. You need a visa to get more than a 30 day visa exempt entry.

I suggest you go out for a non-o visa based upon marriage. Either a single or multiple entry visa is possible.

If you are planning to stay long term you can apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage, You will need 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income. To apply for this you would just need a single entry non-o visa and then apply for the extension of stay during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa.

You can apply for the single entry non-o in Vientiane or Savannakhet Laos or Penang Malaysia.

If not then you could apply for a multiple entry non-o visa that would give 90 day entries for a year. You can get one in Savannakhet Laos. with no financial proof.

• Like 2

You will not be blacklisted for your overstay. That is complete nonsense you were told.

The overstay fine is 500 baht a day.

Not sure what they were telling you at embassy. You need a visa to get more than a 30 day visa exempt entry.

I suggest you go out for a non-o visa based upon marriage. Either a single or multiple entry visa is possible.

If you are planning to stay long term you can apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage, You will need 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income. To apply for this you would just need a single entry non-o visa and then apply for the extension of stay during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa.

You can apply for the single entry non-o in Vientiane or Savannakhet Laos or Penang Malaysia.

If not then you could apply for a multiple entry non-o visa that would give 90 day entries for a year. You can get one in Savannakhet Laos. with no financial proof.

Hi

Thanks so much for the clarification.

So I need to get the Non-O Visa outside of Thailand?

Would Penang in Malaysia be the cheapest place to fly too?

Also we have scanned copies of our marriage certificates etc but our real paperwork is in Mae Hong Son and im currently in Chiangmai with the family.

Do you think they will give the visa based on photocopies in my computer?

Really appreciate your help.

JT

Your best option is to go out for the visa. It is possible to convert to a non immigrant visa in Bangkok if you have a valid entry.

They often ask to see the original of the marriage certificate. Can you have somebody sent your original marriage certificate to you by EMS. You could have it tomorrow if they sent it today. Do you have copies or a scan of your wife's house book registry. You will need that and copies of her ID card to get the visa.

Are you wanting a single entry or multiple entry non-o?

I think you would find it less costly to fly to Udon Thani on Nok Air from CM. And then take the van to the bridge in Nong Khai and then cross the bridge to Vientiane. Nok Air also has a fly ride service to Vienitiane

• Like 1

Hi

Thanks for all the info.

I like the idea of going to Udon and then over the bridge although when my wife called immigration they informed her i would need to fly out and not go by land.

Looking at Singapore and Kuala Lumper at present as am in CM

Fun, Fun, Fun

Can I jump in on this thread. I've only ever stayed a maximum of 3 weeks before on visits but this time I taking the full 30 days. I arrived 27 January and leave 26 February (30 days). But I've just noticed on my card it only allows to the 25th? can anybody shed any light on this?

Can I jump in on this thread. I've only ever stayed a maximum of 3 weeks before on visits but this time I taking the full 30 days. I arrived 27 January and leave 26 February (30 days). But I've just noticed on my card it only allows to the 25th? can anybody shed any light on this?

Did you count that there was 31 days in January. The 25th is correct.

If you leaving from either airport in Bangkok you will not be charged an overstay fine of 500 baht for an overstay of less than 24 hours.

• Like 1

They count the day you get your visa, in your case 27th January as day 1, 28th of January is day 2. Better to arrive 00.01 than 23.59 ;)

Maybe you need to brush up on your maths :-)

27 >31 = 5 days

1 > 25 = 25 days

5 + 25 =30 days

If you plan to leave on the 26th make sure you have 500 baht at the airport to pay the overstay fine

Did you count that there was 31 days in January. The 25th is correct.

If you leaving from either airport in Bangkok you will not be charged an overstay fine of 500 baht for an overstay of less than 24 hours.

re not getting charged for less than 24 hours at BKK airports - is that set in stone?? I've never personally been 'over' out of BKK, only at Samui where I had to pay for 9 hours over, but I do recall reading on other threads that people have had to pay for less than 24 hours at Suvarnabhumi. Is it maybe the case that the individual IO's attitude might come into play? Think I would rather have 500 on my person just in case..

Edited by Shadychris

You can do it by land. Lots of people have crossed over at Nong Khai with longer overstays than you have.

You cannot always trust what immigration tell you on the phone.

Ubonjoe is right as always:i done that last month on a 85 days overstays at Vientiane

Sir, You get the straight skinny from ubonjoe, always.

I stumble through all of this, with the I know nothing mind set.

While I once did have a long overstay, the officer told me if I'd not put the medical paperwork of the people I helped in my checked bag, he would have waived the overstay fine. I guess it always works well for me because it isn't much a a stretch to play stupid.

They count the day you get your visa, in your case 27th January as day 1, 28th of January is day 2. Better to arrive 00.01 than 23.59 wink.png

"They count the day you get your visa, in your case 27th January as day 1"

He doesn't have a visa. And even if he have a visa, they don't start counting your permission to day from when the visa is issued. If he got a visa at an embassy or consulate they start the count until the visa expires whether or not regardless of when he arrived in Thailand.

But in this case they're counting the days he's been granted permission to stay in Thailand,so day one of thirty days is the day he received the entry stamp at border or airport immigrations.

Since he gets 30 days, it's not 27 Jan + 30. It's 27th January (day 1) + 29 more days.

Edited by Suradit69

Your best option is to go out for the visa. It is possible to convert to a non immigrant visa in Bangkok if you have a valid entry.

They often ask to see the original of the marriage certificate. Can you have somebody sent your original marriage certificate to you by EMS. You could have it tomorrow if they sent it today. Do you have copies or a scan of your wife's house book registry. You will need that and copies of her ID card to get the visa.

Are you wanting a single entry or multiple entry non-o?

I think you would find it less costly to fly to Udon Thani on Nok Air from CM. And then take the van to the bridge in Nong Khai and then cross the bridge to Vientiane. Nok Air also has a fly ride service to Vienitiane

Although there is a coach that goes directly from Udon Thani to Vientiane you have to have a Lao visa before boarding the coach.

UNLESS they have changed the rules

Hi

Update on situation.

Wife, kids and myself just went down to Chiangmai Immigration to find out the best option.

To be honest they were great. Very nice people and said no problem. I had to pay the fine for the overstay for 7 days and then another $1,900 baht for an additional 30 days.

This suited me fine as i need to go back to Oz for 4 days in the next month anyway and they advised when i get back to get a Non O visa from the Embassy in Sydney. They gave me the paperwork on what i will require and told me to contact the Oz Embassy prior to my leaving for Oz to confirm if they will do it without my wife been there.

All in all i was quite impressed with CM immigration and it was not stressfull at all.

I really appreciate all the info above from the members on this site, especially from Ubonjoe.

Thanks again to everyone.

Cheers

JT65

do not worry. I was too long in Thailand in 2011. 2 weeks. my fault, I report the leak of the visa confused. can happen. I was kindly opened the shut-off, I was able to pull ATM to cash. I paid 7000 THB, apologized for my fallacy and the problem of overstay was done.
New immigrating ...14 of january without problems and no black list. rubbish.

they do exist but you must do more or bigger mistakes to be in there.
dont worry mate !!!

Hi

Update on situation.

Wife, kids and myself just went down to Chiangmai Immigration to find out the best option.

To be honest they were great. Very nice people and said no problem. I had to pay the fine for the overstay for 7 days and then another $1,900 baht for an additional 30 days.

This suited me fine as i need to go back to Oz for 4 days in the next month anyway and they advised when i get back to get a Non O visa from the Embassy in Sydney. They gave me the paperwork on what i will require and told me to contact the Oz Embassy prior to my leaving for Oz to confirm if they will do it without my wife been there.

All in all i was quite impressed with CM immigration and it was not stressfull at all.

I really appreciate all the info above from the members on this site, especially from Ubonjoe.

Thanks again to everyone.

Cheers

JT65