Internet use in Thailand reduces time spent reading books

thai tech

Internet use in Thailand reduces time spent reading books

Thai-Reading-Internet-Study-702x336.jpg

A recent survey reveals that 88% of Thais read books, on average 28 minutes a day but a lot less than time spent on the Internet.

According to The Nation newspaper, it was revealed that a poll found Thai people spend just 28 minutes reading each day, lower than the 2013 report by the National Statistics Office that found Thais over 6 years old spent an average of 37 minutes a day reading.

Read more: http://tech.thaivisa.com/internet-thailand-books/5379/

This myth comes out every 6 months without fail.

88% of Thais read books?

That's not just nonsense, that's a blatant lie.

Perhaps they meant that 88% of students read books 27 minutes a day? If this was not what they meant then I would have to agree with you. This poll is a lie to make it seem as Thais actually read something other than their line or fb page online. Perhaps they meant newspapers? Or comic books? Hmmm!
  • Like 1

88% of Thais read books? Seriously, who makes this crap up?

I have been here almost 15 years and I know of only two people who read books. And they read those romance novels.

Maybe they are including comic books and the like, but even then I think the 88% is way too high.

Everyone has limited daily time resources. The claim that internet use reduces reading time is assumptive and illogical. Following the same train of thought, we could deduce that "Toilet time reduces reading time" and "Sleeping time reduces reading time" and "Time spent eating reduces time spent studying".

I think, and it is a guess, they were saying that internet usage and television watching should be restricted, so children have more activities oriented toward learning and social development than time spent on facebook and time spent hearing third rate sound effects.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe they mean 88% f the population CAN read? Even that seems a bit high. I know very few thai people here that read. Kids and adults will look at my kindle and when they see it's just words on the screen they look confused and disinterested.

Not many people knows that Steve Boss prohibited its children to use Ipads, and limited its use of computers.

And...I hope you know that Steve Boss was the founder of Apple...and the creator of the Ipad...and the internet phones you probably are using.

Edited by BKResort