Anek positive about reconciliation prospects after meeting political prisoners

webfact

Anek positive about reconciliation prospects after meeting political prisoners
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- A key member of the National Reform Council (NRC) visited 19 political prisoners Tuesday to explore ways to bring about national reconciliation and pardons for people caught up in political conflict.

Anek Laothamatas, chairman of the NRC committee on studies for national reconciliation, visited Bangkok Special Remand Prison Tuesday and held a discussion with 19 prisoners - mostly middle-aged men (with the oldest 62) - to exchange views on how to bring about reconciliation.

Anek held a press conference after the meeting, saying all of those he met had confessed to their crimes and he saw a light of hope when prisoners from a different political spectrum voiced concern for a fellow political prisoner who need urgent medical attention because he was at risk of going blind.

Anek said all inmates asked him to push for pardons, adding that they told him they wished to see a return to peace and no political conflict.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Anek-positive-about-reconciliation-prospects-after-30254752.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-24

Prisoners asked him to push for pardons, how unexpected and unique.

Reconciliation won't happen until the elites accept they are a minority and the mojority are no longer willing to get ripped off and exploited by them, until then, its Red v Yellow all day and all night.

• Like 2

I am not sure what the article is about

It describes the prisoners as Political, now to me a political prisoner is somebody who is being incarcerated for their political view. Is Thailand admitting it has political prisoners in the classic sense

If they are politicians who have committed a crime then they are just prisoners.

Without knowing the details how can we judge

• Like 2

I have mixed feelings about this, while crime should be punished, if indeed any or all or any of these people are political prisoners in the sense that they are only there for expressing an opinion then fair enough get them out but on some sort of a good behavior bond.

If on the other hand they have committed criminal actions that are truly criminal and are only using politics as an excuse for crime then they are where they should be.

If it is decided under some robust criteria that can be applied in future that they are political prisoners and not criminals then by all means arrange something like pardons, although that might be the wrong word to use, commute the sentences might be a better way of putting it.

After all we all read the same OP and it does not tell us who these people are or who they represented when they were charged and sentenced.

There are apparently those here who assumed they are there from the 2010 riots and if this is so then looking into their cases and getting them out, if they are deemed to be political prisoners would be a kick in the teeth for reds the Yingluck administration who did nothing to help those who were their followers back then.

The only ones from then who got any help were the leaders who all ended up with millions of Baht and several as MP's and with cabinet posts while the rank and file who were arrested languished in jail.

• Like 1

visited 19 political prisoners

honestly, I'm surprised that they officially admit to having even one.

'nuff said... coffee1.gif

The thing is that they are not the juntas 'political prisoners', as far as we know that is, so why should the present administration deny that previous administrations locked up political prisoners ?

If of course they are indeed political prisoners.

• Like 1

in other words, "we dont care that we have committed any crimes we want to be let off so we can cause even more problems". Why are they talking to criminals about what they can do, these people broke the law and deserve jail time, they should have no say in any sort of pardons, once again we see them trying to take the easy way out, what a sham, doesnt matter which side they are on, they all need to serve their sentences and not get out early.

They have done nothing wrong.

They are not criminals in the eyes of the world. Most of them are old and or very young. They spoke out about something they disagreed with. A fundamental right of all human beings.

The written word and or the spoken word are to be celebrated ,not incarcerated.

How do you know this ?

Do you know who they are, their history?

What they were charged with, when they were sentenced, what sentences they were given and why, how long they have been in prison?

Do you know what groups they came from ?

No, you know nothing about them at all, you just have a political agenda to push.

I do know this. Because the powers already announced there would be no pardon for charges of damage to property, assault, murder or corruption. They are not there for theft or smokin ganja. So that leaves sayin the wrong thing at the wrong time.

"Political prisoner"

????

I do know this. Because the powers already announced there would be no pardon for charges of damage to property, assault, murder or corruption. They are not there for theft or smokin ganja. So that leaves sayin the wrong thing at the wrong time.

"Political prisoner"

????

I believe there are quite a few more crimes in the Thai criminal code than the 6 you mention, which leaves your logic looking rather silly.

Hopefully those of the red persuasion have realised that they have been used and abandoned, and will spread this insight on their release.

"Political prisoner"

????

I believe there are quite a few more crimes in the Thai criminal code than the 6 you mention, which leaves your logic looking rather silly.

Hopefully those of the red persuasion have realised that they have been used and abandoned, and will spread this insight on their release.

If the interview I saw on Tele with one of the reds that had been released is anything to go by they already have.

He told of when they were first arrested along with the leaders, the lawyers and party officials had to walk past the cell where he and the other ordinary ones were held to get to the leaders and he and the others in his cell were completely ignored.

Also told of food being taken to the leaders, far more than they could ever eat, but never a morsel given to them.

Bail for the leaders but not even representation for him, not a happy camper, indeed very bitter about the treatment he and others had received from the ones they had supported.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

in other words, "we dont care that we have committed any crimes we want to be let off so we can cause even more problems". Why are they talking to criminals about what they can do, these people broke the law and deserve jail time, they should have no say in any sort of pardons, once again we see them trying to take the easy way out, what a sham, doesnt matter which side they are on, they all need to serve their sentences and not get out early.

They are not criminals in the eyes of the world. Most of them are old and or very young. They spoke out about something they disagreed with. A fundamental right of all human beings.

How do you know this ?

What they were charged with, when they were sentenced, what sentences they were given and why, how long they have been in prison?

No, you know nothing about them at all, you just have a political agenda to push.

"Political prisoner"
????

Edited by scorecard

So, 19 political prisoners. Laksi Prison the Yingluck Government had specially build for them might be filling up. Mind you, I understood also LM suspects and convicts are housed there.

Is there a list of this 19 with a summiere description of the crimes they are accused of or convicted for?

"Political prisoner"

????

Hopefully those of the red and yellow persuasions will realize that they have been used and abandoned, and will spread this insight on their release.

I don't see how they can be 'old' and 'young at the same time, but that's besides the point

Most of these are not locked up (still) after 4/5 years because they have written or said something!! Be real, its because of something they have done.

They seem to show remorse and as long as it didn't result in any deaths I think that they should be pardoned with the stipulation that if they re-offend then they will serve double the length of their current sentence. That should keep them clean and take them away from the political scene and back to their suffering families!!

The thing is that they are not the juntas 'political prisoners', as far as we know that is, so why should the present administration deny that previous administrations locked up political prisoners ?

did you not just say "how do you know this?" yourself... ??

the junta has locked up a fair number of political prisoners already.

additionally, it is irrelevant who locked them up. I'm still surprised at the "confession"

your scepticism about them "indeed" being political prisoners is a bit odd since it comes from one of the junta organs of which you are so willing to have faith in.

You're missing the fact that one criminal element is talking to another. The current gov has no legitimacy under international law; no junta does, so basically a criminal entity is discussing reconciliation with other criminals in order to find a way to expunge their criminal activities.

It's a farce but what do you expect?

"Political prisoner"

????

Hopefully those of the red and yellow persuasions will realize that they have been used and abandoned, and will spread this insight on their release.

Why do ill informed people keep using this "red yellow" thing - it implies that there is a faction or organisation with the label "yellow" - it no longer exists, the yellow movement was disbanded/discontinued a long time ago.

The redshirt faction still exists because it is financed by the criminal abroad and used by him as a tool to commit terrorist acts of violence and murder when he orders it, the other side (if you want to call it that) are rest of the Thai people.

It is hard to figure out what the redshirt movement actually want - what is their agenda, well as far as I can see they don't have an agenda, they are simply a funded tool used by Thaksin - who's agenda is to pressure and push for an amnesty by any divisive means he can dream up and it is very obvious the Thai people are having none of it

It does however suit the Thaksin agenda to believe there still exists a faction called yellowshirt - it is pure fiction dreamed up in an attempt to justify the existence of the reds - there can be no war without an enemy - so just pretend

"Political prisoner"

????

Why do ill informed people keep using this "red yellow" thing - it implies that there is a faction or organisation with the label "yellow" - it no longer exists, the yellow movement was disbanded/discontinued a long time ago.

The redshirt faction still exists because it is financed by the criminal abroad and used by him as a tool to commit terrorist acts of violence and murder when he orders it, the other side (if you want to call it that) are rest of the Thai people.

It is hard to figure out what the redshirt movement actually want - what is their agenda, well as far as I can see they don't have an agenda, they are simply a funded tool used by Thaksin - who's agenda is to pressure and push for an amnesty by any divisive means he can dream up and it is very obvious the Thai people are having none of it

It does however suit the Thaksin agenda to believe there still exists a faction called yellowshirt - it is pure fiction dreamed up in an attempt to justify the existence of the reds - there can be no war without an enemy - so just pretend

I'd keep off the whisky if I was you, it seems to be affecting your thought process.

How do you know this ?

One needs only to know that the Junta representative on the NRC recognizes these people as "political prisoners." When you see people arrested for displaying Orwell's "1984" book, three fingers in POLITICAL PROTEST, and critical comments in Facebook of the NCPO, then surely you must understand the nature of their crimes. Don't be so naive to include them with commission of civil crimes. Their crimes are their BELIEFS.

What is a political prisoner?

The Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe defines a political prisoner if any one of the following criteria is met:

- Detention violates basic guarantees in the European Convention on Human Rights such as freedom of thought, conscience, and religion; freedom of expression and information; and freedom of assembly and association.

- Detention is imposed for purely political reasons.

- Length or conditions of detention are out of proportion to the offense.

- Detention is made in a discriminatory manner as compared to other persons.

- Detention is the result of judicial proceedings that are clearly unfair and connected with the political motives of authorities.

Any and all of the above are present in Thai society when military juntas forcibly rule the nation. The first act of the NCPO in its coup was to abolish Thai Peoples rights and liberties, ban freedom of expression, and freedom of association. Then it established by fiat its OWN rule of laws for which it is exempt. When the Rule of Law is corrupted by biased and UNLAWFUL leadership, it has no legitimacy.

One needs only to know that the Junta representative on the NRC recognizes these people as "political prisoners." When you see people arrested for displaying Orwell's "1984" book, three fingers in POLITICAL PROTEST, and critical comments in Facebook of the NCPO, then surely you must understand the nature of their crimes. Don't be so naive to include them with commission of civil crimes. Their crimes are their BELIEFS.

What is a political prisoner?

The Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe defines a political prisoner if any one of the following criteria is met:

- Detention violates basic guarantees in the European Convention on Human Rights such as freedom of thought, conscience, and religion; freedom of expression and information; and freedom of assembly and association.

- Detention is imposed for purely political reasons.

- Length or conditions of detention are out of proportion to the offense.

- Detention is made in a discriminatory manner as compared to other persons.

- Detention is the result of judicial proceedings that are clearly unfair and connected with the political motives of authorities.

Any and all of the above are present in Thai society when military juntas forcibly rule the nation. The first act of the NCPO in its coup was to abolish Thai Peoples rights and liberties, ban freedom of expression, and freedom of association. Then it established by fiat its OWN rule of laws for which it is exempt. When the Rule of Law is corrupted by biased and UNLAWFUL leadership, it has no legitimacy.

What leads you to believe that these political prisoners were imprisoned by the junta? As they are considering releasing them, isn't it much more likely that they were locked up by one of the preceding "democratic" governments?

I don't recall the last government showing any great concern for the useful fools jailed after the 2010 and earlier fracas.

BTW Criminal acts committed in the name of a political faction could still lead to prisoners being nominally "political". TIT, not everybody follows your definitions.

BTW2 should these prisoners refuse to be released by this allegedly "UNLAWFUL leadership"?

Edited by halloween

"Political prisoner"

????

Just off the top of my head.

62 year old man.

Crime -- writing graffiti on a wall.

Usual punishment. 1,000 baht fine.

2 university students. 22 and 23 years old.

Crime-- organising a school play back in 2010.

Can't find a law against that.

Crime putting up 3 fingers.

Not sure but I think there is a law against that now.

No prisoners who have committed crimes from the penal code, will be released.

Prayuth has said political prisoners.

Meaning people who are in there for voicing their beliefs.

You are the silly one. The government was very clear which category is political. They are not letting political criminals out. You should read a bit more

Prisoners asked him to push for pardons, how unexpected and unique.

Reconciliation won't happen until the elites accept they are a minority and the mojority are no longer willing to get ripped off and exploited by them, until then, its Red v Yellow all day and all night.

The majority, unfortunately, doesn't care much about politics and vote for who gives them more money.

If the majority wouldn't be willing to get ripped off, they wouldn't vote any of these Banharns, Abhisits, Thaksins, Newins.....

Political prisoners. It was a play

http://news.yahoo.com/thailand-jails-two-royal-insult-charge-over-play-054455401.html