How does the devaluation of the US$ effect Thailand and the exchange rate?

How does the devaluation of the US$ effect the Thai baht? easy answer less Bahts for $ right? however I am not paid in US$ but in euro.

I am more interested in what will happen when/if there is a run on the US$ as the world reserve currency and how will this effect the euro

and of course exchange rate in US$ to THB and Euro to THB?

what will the likely scenario be if/when the US$ is no longer the world reserve currency for us expats living in Thailand who are paid in US$

or Euro?

Thank you kindly in advance for your replies.

Why in the name of all this is holy would a strengthening economy devalue its currency ?? Am I missing something here ?

Imports become cheaper exports more expensive. All the companies in the USA that derive a lot of profit from abroad especially Europe Russia Canada Japan are crying foul.

I have to agree with most....

I agree with the ones saying that the US is in recession and going down, because again the corporations are increasing its bank accounts repeating the real estate boom, and manipulating the stock market, until a new crisis. Also creating more wars and more military spending....leading to the big one, because the US is loosing the world dominance.

I agree with the ones saying that the US never will go down, because in its way the US corporations will "win" the wars are creating, even a big one, and will keep and strength its control around the world.

Because at this moment in time, the US depends totally in imports, and 50% of its population is low income by US standard, the US needs to control cost, and the only way to keep its people "happy" is keeping the dollar strong to keep using other's countries cheap labor and products..

About Thailand. If its stay out of control for any of the players will be OK, and not taking sides with the US or Russia. China will be fool if taking sides too. At the same time Thailand needs to increase its exports and buyers options, and China is the best at this moment, because China economy only can grow with the ongoing "war" US - Russia, and cutting its oil dependency using other energy options in development.

China and ASEAN countries will grow sharing technology and with investments, and even more if not get involved in a nonsense war.

Edited by umbanda
  • Like 1

Because at this moment in time, the US depends totally in imports, and 50% of its population is low income by US standard, the US needs to control cost, and the only way to keep its people "happy" is keeping the dollar strong to keep using other's countries cheap labor and products..

Have to disagree... Although the usa loves cheap Imports it can easily survive on its own resources. I wonder how many other countries could do the same?
  • Like 2

I think OP has been reading those silly articles listed with "economy" next to it, maybe even writing them. All seem to be like Chicken Little & "The sky is falling" US economy is not in terrific shape, but far better than most other places.

• Like 1

Have to disagree... Although the usa loves cheap Imports it can easily survive on its own resources. I wonder how many other countries could do the same?

Brazil is one...it is doing that for the last 30 years....even with oil and gold to give away... and the larger reserve in the world waiting.

But.... that....is a secret. OK?

Edited by umbanda

As for the OP's question, how will a "collapse" of the USD affect the Euro? My answer is that the Euro will be dead and gone long before the USD rolls over... Best to put assets / wealth into non-volatile, hard assets out of the way of the coming impasse between Oceana and Eurasia blocks...

• Like 2

anyone reading this will be dead and buried before your fantasy scenario comes to fruition

Best answer. This thread really makes no sense, but I do wonder what Derek's (aka OP) agenda is. It never ceases to amaze me how some people keep predicting the demise of the USA. You may have some credibility during the bad times, but not now. The US economy is golden compared to almost everyone else. As for the dollar, something like 80% of all global transactions involve the US$. What's going to replace it? The Yuan? China's economy is a House of Cards. The Yen? Japan's been in a recession for like two decades now. The Euro? Now that's just funny. Guess we're stuck with the dollar!

In addition, US capital markets are larger than the next three or four combined. There is nowhere for Chinese, Arab and other large investments to go but the US. So the dollar will remain the world's reserve currency come what may. https://qzprod.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/how-the-world-s-stock-exchanges-may-rank-next-year-market-cap_chartbuilder.png?w=640

• Like 1

The world financial system is all created from debt. At some time it has to pop. no one can tell us when. The general public will be the last to know about it. As for gold it amaze's me how people think you will be able to use gold to buy anything because when the financial system does collapse it will be anarchy and only the fittest survive. I think the EURO will go before the dollar. Greece will get another breathing space this week but the problem has just had a sticky plaster put on it, Greece issues have not been resolved. Then after that we have Italy, Spain the list goes on and on.

As for the devaluation of the Dollar against the Thai baht, It means Thailand have a problem exporting as the products get more expensive.

Less farlang coming to Thailand to spend money.

• Like 1

anyone reading this will be dead and buried before your fantasy scenario comes to fruition

Best answer. This thread really makes no sense, but I do wonder what Derek's (aka OP) agenda is. It never ceases to amaze me how some people keep predicting the demise of the USA. You may have some credibility during the bad times, but not now. The US economy is golden compared to almost everyone else. As for the dollar, something like 80% of all global transactions involve the US$. What's going to replace it? The Yuan? China's economy is a House of Cards. The Yen? Japan's been in a recession for like two decades now. The Euro? Now that's just funny. Guess we're stuck with the dollar!

"Berkshire" - is that you Warren? thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Why in the name of all this is holy would a strengthening economy devalue its currency ?? Am I missing something here ?

You are missing that the US economy isn't really strengthening, thats just an illusion created by the illuminati and the banksters to fool us all....in fact the US economy is in a deep depression and its currency is about to go to zero. The only way to protect yourself is of course to buy GOLD. The US cant withstand competition from the asians, like that Chinese company called Apple, for example.

Tinfoil ,tinfoil ,going cheap buy it now ,makes great hats smile.png

And the only thing to do is buy gold...oh my Buddha. Just to remind the tinfoil hat crowd. If the world goes down the tubes, gold is going to be useless. 7/11 is not going to be accepting gold.

It never ceases to amaze me just how paranoid and delusional some of us are. Take a deep breath, swallow your medication and turn off Fox News.

• Like 1

USA Economic Depression?

Really?

Let's See:

- Debt going down.

- Lowest unemployment rates in 30 years

- Strong GDP

- Stock Market new highs.

- I own 4 businesses on Maui, Hawaii and can not find employees.

- Everyone needs employees in USA.

- Home Depot (like many) will hire 20,000+ this year

OK.

Enough.

Pretty funny.

Put a little vodka in your FOX NEWS Kool-Ade.

• Like 1