Will never complain about Patong again

phuketrichard

I went to Samui for the first time this christmas and then I went to Phuket over new year also for the first time.

It was the first and only time, will never go back to either Samui or Phuket again, shithole both of them if you ask me.

There is so much nicer places in Thailand but I will not tell you where.. ;-)

A couple of months ago you were planning a move to Phuket.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/783883-move-to-phuket/

You were given lots of good advice about how to live there as an expat. Did you ignore it all and just head to Bangla Road on your brief visit?

Perhaps Isaan is calling your name.

O yes I was given lot´s of advice and thanks for that.

We spend 8 days in Phuket traveling around for hours everyday with our car and with motorbike to explore and look for places to live.

The area we liked was Rawai and Naiharn Beach. But I also understood it has to be stone dead there in low season and the rental prices was just a big joke.

The prices in general in Phuket was ridiculous and the traffic is terrifying.

If you in some reason end up close to Chalong circle you start looking for that red bull that gives you wings..

And I haven't even mentioned the Russians we met..

I'm thankful for the advices but Phuket is never gonna happen for me/us.

We will stay in Hua Hin.

I went to Samui for the first time this christmas and then I went to Phuket over new year also for the first time.

It was the first and only time, will never go back to either Samui or Phuket again, shithole both of them if you ask me.

You were given lots of good advice about how to live there as an expat. Did you ignore it all and just head to Bangla Road on your brief visit?

We spend 8 days in Phuket traveling around for hours everyday with our car and with motorbike to explore and look for places to live.

The area we liked was Rawai and Naiharn Beach. But I also understood it has to be stone dead there in low season and the rental prices was just a big joke.

If you in some reason end up close to Chalong circle you start looking for that red bull that gives you wings..

We will stay in Hua Hin.

We all make our choices, and you have made yours. But a negatvie for Rawai and Nai Harn is that they are stone dead but you like Hua Hin? Sorry, does not make sense.

• Like 1

Yes, Samui really is Paradise Lost.

Went to Chaweng beach in 1982. Bungalow right on the beach 100 Bt per night. Only place to eat was the restaurant belonging to the bungalows.

We used to collect Hoi Lai straight off the beach, boiled 'em up and ate them.

A stunningly beautiful coconut palm covered island.

For 100 Baht, must have been a really nice place wink.png

My first trip to Koh Samui was also in 1982. Paid Baht 50/night for what I considered a very nice bungalow. There were cheaper places, but I wanted a bungalow with it’s own private bathroom, shower, and it had a hammock out on the lanai. Talked the owner of the bungalows into renting one of his motorcycles to me. Traveled all around the island. Never saw another Farang on a motorcycle the whole time I was there. Went to a nice waterfall and went for a swim. There were a couple of kids hanging out, but never saw anyone else. It was pretty laid back. Pre-internet. Back when you found out about places by word of mouth. In fact, I found out about Koh Samui when I was sitting at a little open air Bar-Beer across from the water in Pattaya. Drinking beers and talking with a guy from Great Britain. He told me about “This great little island in the south” that he had just come from, and how to get there. Traveling solo as a young man it was all very adventurous and exciting back then.

My wife keeps bugging me to go since she has never been, and Koh Samui is “Famous”. So far I’ve been able to resist

I was there around the same time, but how come you guys remember what you paid? I have no clue what I paid for something 30+ years ago. Did you receive a receipt (would be unheard of) and keep it?

100 Bt is an easy number to remember. It was US$5 at the time.

They used to have two jars of cookies in the restaurant. One was plain at 1 Bt each. The other was the same, but had lots of green bits in it. These were 2 Bt each.

Not hard to remember stuff decades ago. It's yesterday I have problems with.......

Yes, sometimes one remembers the strangest things, I still remember the number of our first telephone line. And just as you I can't remember how much things were when I bought them yesterday, but I also have never been able to remember prices of things I bought 30 years ago.

I went there about 6 years ago, on the ferry I said to my wife " Hope there is somewhere to get benzine " I had seen pictures of the place in lonely planet of sunsets , empty beaches. what a shock , reminded me of Romania in '84. Every few hundred meters same same. Bookshop 7-eleven, massage , restaurant. Round the ring road and back to where we started , same shops same 7-elevens same massage places. Oh we did get gas for the car. Big dissapointment and won't be going back. Pattaya was better as I knew what to expect but Samui Bah !

I much prefer Samui to Phuket, I get hassled far less here, and there are far less scams. That said the beaches are better in Phuket.

Ur kidding??

i drove up to the secret garden on the lovely paved road (that was dirt in the 80's) stopped at a lookout point an some old guy came up and told me i had to pay 40 baht to stop there, i said no and started to get back in the car to drive away an he started screaming at me in thai, spittle drooling out his mouth, That has NEVER happened to me in 3o years in Phuket

One night drove into lamai for dinner and parked the car on the street where it said car parking.a Thai came up to me and said no, cant park i said but it says parking, he said taxi's and do i want problem with the Mafia?? Nice that they don't try an hide it there unlike Phuket LOL

I first visited in 82 an it was wonderful, worked over there setting up the Samui guide in the lat 80's an it was nice

it has been ruined much more than Phuket and faster.

I imagine if u just get a nice 3,000 baht a night resort an stay in it would be ok

BTW great 4 hour drive over to Ranong which is much nicer.

Forgot to mention Hua Hin as one of my top ten places to avoid. No thanks. Just another paradise lost. What a crap hole.

We will stay in Hua Hin.

I live on Samui since 1986 and I paid 30 baths for a bungalow on the beach (yes I can remember) and I paid 10 baths for a plate of rice with something on top. Then they built the airport and it was the beginning of the end. Then we got the tourists. They wanted to eat the same food they have at home but Thai food is delicious. Much more than the Mc Donald's rubbish, they wanted air-con (if it's to hot they could stay at home instead of coming here and spoil the island. They also wanted swimming pools a few meters from the sea. I just don't understand these people who travel far to get what they have at home. If you come to complain, just stay at home, easy no? then after this we got the worst: THE RUSSIANS. I really miss the time without tourists, it was a great time.

I much prefer Samui to Phuket, I get hassled far less here, and there are far less scams. That said the beaches are better in Phuket.

Ur kidding??

i drove up to the secret garden on the lovely paved road (that was dirt in the 80's) stopped at a lookout point an some old guy came up and told me i had to pay 40 baht to stop there, i said no and started to get back in the car to drive away an he started screaming at me in thai, spittle drooling out his mouth, That has NEVER happened to me in 3o years in Phuket

One night drove into lamai for dinner and parked the car on the street where it said car parking.a Thai came up to me and said no, cant park i said but it says parking, he said taxi's and do i want problem with the Mafia?? Nice that they don't try an hide it there unlike Phuket LOL

I first visited in 82 an it was wonderful, worked over there setting up the Samui guide in the lat 80's an it was nice

it has been ruined much more than Phuket and faster.

I imagine if u just get a nice 3,000 baht a night resort an stay in it would be ok

BTW great 4 hour drive over to Ranong which is much nicer.

That's about it Richard. I recall a survey conducted some years ago with a load of tourists at Chaweng & Lamai. They all said the same thing - when they're at their resorts on the beach and dining in the beach-side resort restaurants, or relaxing in the resort's tropical gardens it's great. But the second they go out the rear of their resorts onto the road it's awful - falling down holes, getting dogshit on their shoes, dodging maniac drivers, getting fleeced everywhere by Thais.

I still really like Samui.. And am considering spending some time on the beach recuperating if the smog gets bad up here in CNX..

Theres a bungalow place I have stayed at repeatedly for years.. 12k a month for a 1 bedroom living room kitchen bathroom little house.. swimming pool and the like outside the door.. People still very friendly around Lamai and just enough bars for a night out without it being too much..

Chaweng I agree is a mess.. OK for a ride in and a fish supper but not worth staying.. The jungle bar up on the hillside.. A few of the beach party bars and places down by the grandfather rocks.. Mojitos in bikini bar at sunset..

Theres worse places to spend a month.

Edited by LivinLOS

Samui is paradise lost like so much of Thailand. Wall to wall shops , obnoxious foreigners and obnoxious Thais. Mafia controlled , numerous foreign criminals, over priced crap Thai food, crowded beaches. Travel half way around the world to the pit of humanity for what ? Having said that Pattaya , Phuket, Koh Phi Phi, Koh Tao, Chiang Mai, Pai, Koh Chang and other locations add to the list.

Seems you've pretty accurately summed up the whole scenario,especially island life. For years I loved going to Phuket ( karon beach) and diving in the similans. I haven't been able to go for 4/5 years and now been widely advised against revisiting. It begs the question, where now for a beach holiday especially as I'm a snorkelling/ diving fan? Went to Cha am last week for a few days and visited Hua hin for a day. Ok for a break but beach/sea underwhelming,especially in Hua hin, and no enthusiasm for a repeat trip especially compared to what Phuket used to be like. Went to koh Chang about 8 years ago and again underwhelmed (poor beaches)So where's the next island/ beach resort to try?...... Koh Lanta and adjacent islands? I've recently emigrated to Phimai (korat) where we have a house but wish to get away on a regular basis Answers on a postcard please?

Try Laem Chao Mai directly west of Trang on the Andaman Sea. . Two small resorts, totally deserted beach; some resorts on offshore islands.

• Like 1

I live on Samui since 1986 and I paid 30 baths for a bungalow on the beach (yes I can remember) and I paid 10 baths for a plate of rice with something on top. Then they built the airport and it was the beginning of the end. Then we got the tourists. They wanted to eat the same food they have at home but Thai food is delicious. Much more than the Mc Donald's rubbish, they wanted air-con (if it's to hot they could stay at home instead of coming here and spoil the island. They also wanted swimming pools a few meters from the sea. I just don't understand these people who travel far to get what they have at home. If you come to complain, just stay at home, easy no? then after this we got the worst: THE RUSSIANS. I really miss the time without tourists, it was a great time.

Even back in 2000 it was ok. The main problem as I see it was the dirt road suitable only for motorbikes has become the main road which is built out on both sides by hotels on the beach side and businesses on the other side. Absolutely no chance to widen the road. Now there's a massive amount of traffic and the road cannot handle it.

The lovely hotel / bungalow complex I stayed in at the southern end of Chaweng has now become a 5 star resort. Completely out of my price range.

I totally agree with everything you say. Fly half way around the world to a third world country complain about everything, make no effort to understand Thai customs nor the language after you move here and wish to copy everything you left behind. So my question is. Why in the hell did you come here or bother moving here ? Mass tourism has destroyed much of this country. Give it another ten years and the Thai government will cover every last square mile with foreigners , resorts, Burger King and worse. It is only going to get worse. This is Thailand. Not Germany, not America, not Sweden not Russia . Only empty headed foreigners follow each other like sheep to repeat everything the left.

We will stay in Hua Hin.

We all make our choices, and you have made yours. But a negatvie for Rawai and Nai Harn is that they are stone dead but you like Hua Hin? Sorry, does not make sense.

What do you know about Hua Hin 2015?

Thanks for mentioning that place. Kiss that place goodbye next. Ever thought of keeping your mouth shut ?

Samui is paradise lost like so much of Thailand. Wall to wall shops , obnoxious foreigners and obnoxious Thais. Mafia controlled , numerous foreign criminals, over priced crap Thai food, crowded beaches. Travel half way around the world to the pit of humanity for what ? Having said that Pattaya , Phuket, Koh Phi Phi, Koh Tao, Chiang Mai, Pai, Koh Chang and other locations add to the list.

Seems you've pretty accurately summed up the whole scenario,especially island life. For years I loved going to Phuket ( karon beach) and diving in the similans. I haven't been able to go for 4/5 years and now been widely advised against revisiting. It begs the question, where now for a beach holiday especially as I'm a snorkelling/ diving fan? Went to Cha am last week for a few days and visited Hua hin for a day. Ok for a break but beach/sea underwhelming,especially in Hua hin, and no enthusiasm for a repeat trip especially compared to what Phuket used to be like. Went to koh Chang about 8 years ago and again underwhelmed (poor beaches)So where's the next island/ beach resort to try?...... Koh Lanta and adjacent islands? I've recently emigrated to Phimai (korat) where we have a house but wish to get away on a regular basis Answers on a postcard please?

Try Laem Chao Mai directly west of Trang on the Andaman Sea. . Two small resorts, totally deserted beach; some resorts on offshore islands.

Forgot to mention Hua Hin as one of my top ten places to avoid. No thanks. Just another paradise lost. What a crap hole.

That's good, Hua Hin have record in number of tourist this season so we don´t really need more people.

Seems that folks moving from Phuket to Hua Hin, wonder why..

Even back in 2000 it was ok. The main problem as I see it was the dirt road suitable only for motorbikes has become the main road which is built out on both sides by hotels on the beach side and businesses on the other side. Absolutely no chance to widen the road. Now there's a massive amount of traffic and the road cannot handle it.

The lovely hotel / bungalow complex I stayed in at the southern end of Chaweng has now become a 5 star resort. Completely out of my price range.

I slept 6 months on the beach (woke up with the sunset) and never saw people walking on the beach late at night. It was very quiet and there was only one shop, the first supermarket with coconut oil, postcards, drinks and flip-flops

Oh please, you were also a tourist back, as was I. And the development of Samui was clearly inevitable even back then as the airport was already a done deal in the very early 1980s. I am just grateful that I was able to spend time as a tourist on a relatively remote island paradise. I was a regular visitor throughout the 1980s but never went back again after a visit in 1991.

That's good, Hua Hin have record in number of tourist this season so we don´t really need more people.

I dont believe that for one minute

They are all just moving from one over rated crowded foreign crap hole to another.

We will stay in Hua Hin.

What do you know about Hua Hin 2015?

Obviously more than you do about Rawai and Nai Harn in low season.

My answer: just return to Karon or Kata and ignore the nay sayers.

I first went to Phuket in 1978. I wouldn't give you 5 Baht for any place on that island. Greed has taken over.

• Like 1

Yes, Samui really is Paradise Lost.

Went to Chaweng beach in 1982. Bungalow right on the beach 100 Bt per night. Only place to eat was the restaurant belonging to the bungalows.

We used to collect Hoi Lai straight off the beach, boiled 'em up and ate them.

A stunningly beautiful coconut palm covered island.

For 100 Baht, must have been a really nice place wink.png

My first trip to Koh Samui was also in 1982. Paid Baht 50/night for what I considered a very nice bungalow. There were cheaper places, but I wanted a bungalow with it’s own private bathroom, shower, and it had a hammock out on the lanai. Talked the owner of the bungalows into renting one of his motorcycles to me. Traveled all around the island. Never saw another Farang on a motorcycle the whole time I was there. Went to a nice waterfall and went for a swim. There were a couple of kids hanging out, but never saw anyone else. It was pretty laid back. Pre-internet. Back when you found out about places by word of mouth. In fact, I found out about Koh Samui when I was sitting at a little open air Bar-Beer across from the water in Pattaya. Drinking beers and talking with a guy from Great Britain. He told me about “This great little island in the south” that he had just come from, and how to get there. Traveling solo as a young man it was all very adventurous and exciting back then.

My wife keeps bugging me to go since she has never been, and Koh Samui is “Famous”. So far I’ve been able to resist

I was there around the same time, but how come you guys remember what you paid? I have no clue what I paid for something 30+ years ago. Did you receive a receipt (would be unheard of) and keep it?

My first bungalow on Patong beach was 125 baht in 1978. There was only Patong Beach Hotel and this little plain cement block place. Basically Thai housing.

something has n't been mentioned here is the locals attitude to tourists and resident expats.I have seen a marked decline in their tolerance.Greed and impatience is everywhere,the genuine smiles are long gone." THEY WANT THE MONEY BUT NOT THE PEOPLE" is often said.It happens everywhere not just on Samui.

Yet go to any place in thailand where there are few tourists,expats...and you will see plenty of genuine smiles and people willing to help you.

• Like 2

Totally agree ! Why ? Less obnoxious and often drunk foreigners both men and women.

something has n't been mentioned here is the locals attitude to tourists and resident expats.I have seen a marked decline in their tolerance.Greed and impatience is everywhere,the genuine smiles are long gone." THEY WANT THE MONEY BUT NOT THE PEOPLE" is often said.It happens everywhere not just on Samui.

Yet go to any place in thailand where there are few tourists,expats...and you will see plenty of genuine smiles and people willing to help you.