Importing a motorcycle from Europe to Thailand - Anyone done it?

SS1

• 2 weeks later...

The last SD 990 I saw for sale went for less than 500K (450K, I believe- it was at Red Baron)- if you really want one, you'll likely be able to find one in LOS.

The hassle of bringing in a bike literally and figuratively isn't worth it, as you've no doubt gathered from this thread.

That's a very high price unless the bike is new and comes with aftermarket exhausts. I bought mine for around 250k, and it was like new with Akra pipes (2011 model with under 4000km on the meter).

It's probably better to get one there anyways and perhaps look into other bikes too.. Maybe the z1000 is cheaper over there for instance.

^

It's high for your home country, but not bad for LOS- that's the point- if you wanted to bring in your bike valued at 250K, it would cost you at least that much in taxes, tariffs, shipping, miscellaneous bs, etc, and that's if you could manage to get the proper paperwork to begin with (likely not), making the bike that costs 450K the better deal (and WAY WAY WAY less of a hassle). I paid about double for my bike over what it would have cost in the US, but there wasn't a cheaper option to have one that was fully legal and regsitered.

A new Z1000 is 600K here, not quite double, but certainly more than it costs in many other countries.

A guy I know imported a MG/TD from England into Thailand, he says the part that most people do not know about is getting permission to import from the Department of Commerce. It took him 2 years to finally get all of the paper work signed of as he would not pay any tea money. He has given presentations onthe process of importing a car into Thailand to various groups in the Chiang Mai area. If this permission is required for a car sure it is necessary for a bike as well.