Importing a motorcycle from Europe to Thailand - Anyone done it?

SS1

I've read some articles and topics about importing motorcycles to Thailand and learned that it can be a very complicated and expensive process. I am wondering however, if anyone has succesfully done it, how much it cost and was it a difficult process?

I am wondering if there are any loopholes that could make it easier or less expensive to import one. I've heard about the possibility of importing the bike in parts and rebuilding it in Thailand to save money with taxation, but to be honest this sounds like a massive hassle to do. Also I remember once reading about the possibility of temporarily importing a bike and doing "bike visa runs"?? Has anyone heard about this option? I'm actually currently sort of doing this in the UK, as my bike is registered in another European country but I can have it legally here for 6 months at a time as a temporary import.

I am coming to Thailand to stay for 1-2 years and would love to bring my bike with me. I'll be coming with either a tourist or ED visa, but looking for work so chances are I will switch to a non-B with a wp later. I'm sure most will tell me to sell my bike and just get a new one in Thailand... I have been thinking about this, but the selection of second hand motorcycles is very poor and most of the new ones are way out of my price range.

The bike I have a is a 2011 KTM Super Duke 990 (999cc) with Akra pipes, which isn't manufactured anymore as most of you KTM fans know. I really can't think of any equivalent for this bike that is sold in Thailand, except of course the 1290 Super Duke but this is way out of my price range as it costs around 1 million bath. My current bike's value is around 250k baht if I would sell it in Europe.

I see a lot of Ducati's in Thailand but I don't like the Monster. The Ducati Streetfighter seems awesome, but again out of my price range and also too rare to find second hand. I've looked at Kawasakis and the z1000 seems cool although I'd much rather stay with my V-twin. I've looked at the z800 too which is reasonably priced, but damn it is a heavy bike!! very poor weight to power ratio imo.

Anyways if any of you have any information on importing bikes, any tricks for doing it or stories, would be glad if you share. At the end, maybe I'll just have to get a Honda PCX 150 instead :S

• Like 1

No waste of time and money.

You will have to kiss your KTM goodbye or keep it in your homeland.

Thailand's 2nd hand big bike market are getting better and bigger every year now, way more big bikes are sold now so keep looking and you might find a good cheap bike in the range you are looking for.

Methinks the expression ''Fools and their money are soon parted,'' springs to mind concerning the idea of importing a motorcycle or car for that matter to Thailand.

Cheaper to buy locally there are agents here for all the top end machines be they two wheels or four wheel machines...

• Like 1

What is the biggest bike currently manufactured in Thailand?

Displacement vise?

That I know of - 1200cc Ducati (a few models).

Ducati Panigale 1299 is probably imported but I'm not 100% sure

Kawa zx-14 - also not too sure, maybe imported.

He will be able to ride it in Thailand on temp import permit but will have to do the bike visa runs.

Yeah, something like every 90 or 180 days. Just not worth the hassle, especially if the immigration officer suspects that the bike is a "visa" runner, haha

It is my understanding that the legal transfer into and from Malaysia is cheaper and easier.

Did the parts thing. Getting the bike in is easy, getting it legal is the issue.

Yes, I believe it's easier to register a bike in Malaysia. But that doesn't solve the problem for the OP who wants the bike in Malaysia and having to take the bike out of the country every 180 days becomes a real pain.

Why? Sounds like a nice per-annual road trip. smile.png

Yes, nice if you are in charge of the planning and schedule, but not so nice if you are forced to due to the dates. Also like I said, you cannot know for sure whether the immigration officer will deny you entry or not. If they do, then you're up the creek without a paddle.

It is my understanding that the legal transfer into and from Malaysia is cheaper and easier.

Did the parts thing. Getting the bike in is easy, getting it legal is the issue.

Yes, I believe it's easier to register a bike in Malaysia. But that doesn't solve the problem for the OP who wants the bike in Malaysia and having to take the bike out of the country every 180 days becomes a real pain.

Again, I think it is easier to legally and permanently transfer a bike that is legally in Malaysia. I have not done it, but I have done the parts thing after which my Thailand attorney recommended the Malaysia thing.

SS1 - buddy of mine says he can get his hands on a (used) 900cc Buell for around 200k (baht).

11016068_833179036719787_681224063_n.jpg

He tells me that depending on year and size (900, 1200) the prices for used ones range from 200-500,000 baht.

I'm a Harley kind of guy so I don't know if Buell is a suitable alternative for you. I've asked him for some prices on Ducatis as well.

Importing is pretty much out of the question. A (different) friend did import his Harley last year, but he'd owned the bike for 14+ years and did a lot of jumping through hoops beforehand to get it here. Still cost him about $4,000 US in duties/tariffs (as well as the shipping and insurance costs). The thing that saved him the most was the age of the bike.

Ship it to Malaysia, get it registered, them import it to Thailand.

Oh Really.

Where did you land it?

Did your Customs Broker/Lawyer Rip you Off?

How much did the Duty, Excise and Sales Tax cost?

How did you do the Emission Test required in Bangkok? Was It 20,000THB?

Did you go to the head transport Guy in Bankok, then to your local office to get a Green Book, Plates and pay Road Tax and License again?

I did it.

Stupid Idea.

Wish I never did. TIT

• Like 1

Frankly, why would you bother? Quicker trip to the cemetary, no autobahn here anyway. An international agreement exists that Thai's are signatories to,

a 'temporary' importation of motor vehicles. Maybe this approach would satisfy you needs.(Carner de passages) If not, DO NOT IMPORT. Close associate attempted with a 'specially loved' bike. Also especially appreciated by a member of the authorities. $$$$$ demanded was ridiculous, was not in the situation to re-export. Never acquired, never seen again.

SS1 - buddy of mine says he can get his hands on a (used) 900cc Buell for around 200k (baht).

11016068_833179036719787_681224063_n.jpg

He tells me that depending on year and size (900, 1200) the prices for used ones range from 200-500,000 baht.

I'm a Harley kind of guy so I don't know if Buell is a suitable alternative for you. I've asked him for some prices on Ducatis as well.

Importing is pretty much out of the question. A (different) friend did import his Harley last year, but he'd owned the bike for 14+ years and did a lot of jumping through hoops beforehand to get it here. Still cost him about $4,000 US in duties/tariffs (as well as the shipping and insurance costs). The thing that saved him the most was the age of the bike.

Does he have a green book for them?

They stop all import of 2nd hand bikes to Thailand in april 2012.I got my Harley Davidson Street Glide mod.2011 imported in march 2012.It was the last one they accepted.

I have to show the custom in Bangkok my bike about 15 times for photos and check frame no..It take me 2 year and 2 months to get the green book and license plates.

When I got my book they tell me that is the last 2nd hand import bike who get the book now.

I've lost 300 000 bath in fees ,travel and intrests for that time I waited to drive it.I lost my exitment for my bike.But now I start to get it back.

I should have bought a new bike instead and would cost me the same amount.

Op. As i read it the bike manufacturers in thailand have rigged it that no bike frame can be imported into thailand now which means no import papers for a whole bike OR for a bundle of parts with a frame. That means no green book and no 'its got all its import papers' bs.

Sure,somchai in pattaya or phuket is importing the latest big bikes from japan but you/me aint him so forget it. And if you still insist on bringing it here wait till the nice customs man opens the container and sees a 1.2million baht KTM sat in front of him....you will never see it again...well you might in a year or 2 after paying more in bribes than a new 1 costs. Sell up in the UK and buy here. Theres an FZ09 in chiang mai for 375000....far superior to any other big jap bike.

Would you gamble and maybe have it confiscated.It has happened.And yes and have it held for ransom.A big fine.

Like some other post in here.Sell it .It's only metal.Buy another one once you get here.I had studied up on it myself.Not worth it.

Yeah, I researched all of this last year trying to get me Harley here. In the end, I'm just going to get up the money and have a bike in Thailand and another one in the states. How to get that extra $20,000 is the question now. It's a shame and a sham; my nice used Harley Sportster I got for $4,000 USD on craigslist. $16,000 difference is a lot of round trip plane fares.

Thanks guys for all the replies! It's a pity they are such cnuts about it. Seems like it's best to leave it in Europe then.. just a shame because the SD is a really unique bike and I can't think of anything that could replace it.

I was actually mainly interested in the "bike visa run" -option. The thing is, that I'm not coming to stay in Thailand permanently, I'm coming there to study for a couple of years. Doing a bike visa run wouldn't be a big issue since I need to do this anyway if I'm on a tourist visa. But it could end up being a hassle anyways :S