An anti-ISIS summit in Mecca

webfact

An Anti-ISIS Summit in Mecca
Some Muslim leaders don't view the Islamic State quite like Obama does.
EDWARD DELMAN

WASHINGTON: -- President Obama isn’t alone in grappling with how best to counter ISIS and its brand of Islamic extremism—and convening summits for just that purpose. Earlier this week, the Muslim World League, a Saudi-backed alliance of Islamic NGOs, wrapped up a little-noticed three-day conference in Mecca on “Islam and Counterterrorism.”

With the patronage of Saudi Arabia’s newly minted King Salman bin Abdulaziz and a keynote address by Sheikh Ahmed al-Tayeb, the grand imam of Sunni Islam’s most prestigious university, al-Azhar in Egypt, the program sought to address the nature of terrorism, its relationship to Islam, and what the Muslim community can do to prevent its members from becoming radicalized. The proceedings offered a counterpoint to the U.S. government’s narrative about the nature of the Islamic State and how to confront the group.

Obama has been criticized recently for attempting to delink ISIS (or ISIL, as he would put it) and other terrorist groups from Islam. The president has been sounding this note since the fall, when he insisted, “ISIL is not Islamic.”

And there’s reason behind his rhetoric. Obama is seeking to combat rising Islamophobia in many parts of the world, assure Muslims that the United States is not at war with Islam, and fight a war against a barbarous terrorist organization that seeks its legitimacy through Islamic theology.

Earlier this month, the White House and State Department hosted a Summit on Countering Violent Extremism (CVE), during which the president once again insisted, “We are at war with people who have perverted Islam,” and “No religion is responsible for terrorism.

Full story: http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2015/02/ISIS-summit-Islam-Obama/386303/

-- The Atlantic 2015-02-27

NeverSure post # 3

I'm waiting for that backlash. What I see is a war for control among various sects of Muslims. I see tit for tat as in a few airstrikes from Jordan over the killing of a pilot. Where is Jordan now? Where is Saudi?

I see lip service from Muslims but where is the international Muslim community which, if mostly good, could wipe these people out? They are the ones who could figure out where and who these people are on a daily basis.

I don't expect to see a lot more than lip service unless a country, such as Syria, is under attack. Even then it seems to take mostly Western countries to do the heavy lifting. (When they're willing.)

The very fact that this meeting took place shows that there is a backlash albeit from that which we see limited in its actions as yet.

Saudi Arabia is the card sharp in this game and is dealing from goodness only knows in the deck of cards that are being used.

Saudi Arabia should never be trusted, Saudi inaction over the years to my mind shows a self interest as opposed to a common interest for the region.

Regarding the ''heavy Lifting from the Western countries, perhaps the situation we now see is as a result of the west and its ''Heavy Lifting'' exercises in the past.

People who were in power who didn't conform to the standards demanded by various western nations were removed either by political subterfuge our outright military action founded on rumors.

Distasteful as those removed were there was not the level terrorism, racial religious or otherwise we now see.

In any ways the Western nations and the providers of the intelligence from wherever or whoever are the catalyst which has led to the current situation.

Those who have stoked the fires in the past did it for what, whom and from whose agenda ?

Tangled webs indeed have been woven and those webs are still being woven even now. the truth be known.

At last a small step forward by those concerned with Muslim matters no doubt prompted though by the threat to the good life the Ibn Sauds and their ilk enjoy.

They are the locals and the locals have their ears to the ground.

As soon as these Muslims irrespective of gender, social standing and ethnic origins come to realize what a horrendous threat these ISIS creatures represent there will be a backlash by Muslims as opposed to other beliefs.

A positive move which in the long term will hopefully go a long way to healing the religious and cultural divide twixt the Islamic and non Islamic worlds.

We can but live in hope.

My new hero! No shitthumbsup.gif

No religion is responsible for terrorism.

It's just that one religion breeds more terrorists than other religions. But it's not the responsibility of that religion, nor it's imams and mullahs...

Well, whose responsibility is it, then?

Um, your numbers are incorrect:

barchart-copy-502x502-custom.jpg?resize=

This Islamic fundamentalist hatred has come from nowhere but Saudi Arabia, called the Salafist and Wahhabism sects. The money to fund these sickos throughout the world has been through Islamic NGOs, mosques, and Saudi embassies/consulates.

From the article:

"With the patronage of Saudi Arabia’s newly minted King Salman bin Abdulaziz and a keynote address by Sheikh Ahmed al-Tayeb, the grand imam of Sunni Islam’s most prestigious university, al-Azhar in Egypt, the program sought to address the nature of terrorism, its relationship to Islam, and what the Muslim community can do to prevent its members from becoming radicalized. The proceedings offered a counterpoint to the U.S. government’s narrative about the nature of the Islamic State and how to confront the group."

And before we go lauding this meeting for its good only that above is noted. Not a lot to jump up and down about when the point was "The proceedings offered a counterpoint to the U.S. government’s narrative about the nature of the Islamic State and how to confront the group"

Sounds more to me like a fundraising affair than counterterrorism.

• Like 2

If it's not too much to ask, please can we have a small tactical nuclear weapon explode in Mecca?

Just a small one mind. I'm not a nut case....

That should give the Muslims a cleared message of how pissed off we are

"I'm not a nut case..."

That sounds ominously like Richard Nixon's "I'm not a crook."

NeverSure post # 3

I'm waiting for that backlash. What I see is a war for control among various sects of Muslims. I see tit for tat as in a few airstrikes from Jordan over the killing of a pilot. Where is Jordan now? Where is Saudi?

I see lip service from Muslims but where is the international Muslim community which, if mostly good, could wipe these people out? They are the ones who could figure out where and who these people are on a daily basis.

I don't expect to see a lot more than lip service unless a country, such as Syria, is under attack. Even then it seems to take mostly Western countries to do the heavy lifting. (When they're willing.)

-snip-

Regarding the ''heavy Lifting from the Western countries, perhaps the situation we now see is as a result of the west and its ''Heavy Lifting'' exercises in the past.

That is so tired. There we so many worldwide islamic terrorist attacks including 9/11 before the "war on terror" that if you don't know you should just google.

I don't like Bush and I didn't agree with the methods he used but to say it wasn't already there and spreading is naive at best. There was another big hit on the Twin Towers in 1993 which essentially failed. There's a worldwide list that's choking and to think terrorist weren't already among those countries and attacking many countries before, won't work.

BTW Democrat Bill Clinton hit the terrorists in the ME before Bush ever thought of it. Clinton bombed Iraq in 1998 - 3 years before Bush was POTUS.

These terrorist strike a lot of countries like Thailand only because they are haters.

• Like 2

At last a small step forward by those concerned with Muslim matters no doubt prompted though by the threat to the good life the Ibn Sauds and their ilk enjoy.

As soon as these Muslims irrespective of gender, social standing and ethnic origins come to realize what a horrendous threat these ISIS creatures represent there will be a backlash by Muslims as opposed to other beliefs.

A positive move which in the long term will hopefully go a long way to healing the religious and cultural divide twixt the Islamic and non Islamic worlds.

We can but live in hope.

I wish to see a fatwas issued against members of IS.

We can but live in hope.

I wish to see a fatwas issued against members of IS.

Google is your friend

• Like 1

NeverSure post # 3

-snip-

That is so tired. There we so many worldwide islamic terrorist attacks including 9/11 before the "war on terror" that if you don't know you should just google.

I don't like Bush and I didn't agree with the methods he used but to say it wasn't already there and spreading is naive at best. There was another big hit on the Twin Towers in 1993 which essentially failed. There's a worldwide list that's choking and to think terrorist weren't already among those countries and attacking many countries before, won't work.

BTW Democrat Bill Clinton hit the terrorists in the ME before Bush ever thought of it. Clinton bombed Iraq in 1998 - 3 years before Bush was POTUS.

These terrorist strike a lot of countries like Thailand only because they are haters.

Perhaps the "situation we now see is as a result of the west" and our involvement with islamic peoples recently; perhaps. OK, we considered this theory. The answer is an unequivocal NO! This theory has no validity- at all!

Now lets consider a more viable explanation. Islam has attacked... everyone since its inception. Instead of peppering these pages with the endless list of atrocities, attacks, mayhem, genocide, subjugation, slaughter, rape, plunder, and oppression that has defined the entire islamic history, lets just take one slice of islamic history and juxtapose it with the West's involvement today. When even topically reviewed it is utterly apparent that what is the islamic motivation has absolutely nothing to do with irritants and oppression, other than their own. Look now at approximately 400 years of islamic "situation;" and this is even before they marched and slaughtered an easy 100,000,000 Hindus and Buddhists. It is a fallacy of perspective to wake from our modern slumber and note islamic jihad and state "ahhh, where did this come from?" It is the inculcated self loathing of the recent western education for the past generation that then leads one to conclude "we must have started this." Poppycock! Islam was always marching across the world; it is the foundational blueprint for the entire ideology.

Well said! Almost all of the problems the west faces is because of a singular refusal to believe that one of the founding pillars central to Islam, is to conquer and spread the true word of god. I think its fortunate in a way that this is all happening now, as in another 100 years lots of European countries will have muslim majorities that if unchecked, will have little problem securing power in government. It is then that the "peaceful" agenda of converting the whole world to Islam will begin. I am in no way against all aspects of Islam, but its core beliefs as being spread by Imams throughout the world have become perverted. It started with the mad Iranian the Ayatollah Khomeini who sanctioned self martyrdom as weapon of war and vowed that nothing will stop Islam until its flag flies over every house in the world. That message has since spread far and wide through the Imams and down into the general population. I cannot blame muslims for wanting to be better muslims. But those who guide them should be held responsible, unfortunately every muslim would rise up if the Imams were attacked in any way by infidels, even if it just verballyWe have arrived at an impasse, and the world we live in today

In a poll last year, didn't 80% of Saudis say IS were good muslims?

Yes and is responsible for funding them as well

Curiouser and curiouser said Alicecrazy.gif

" General Jonathan Shaw, Britain's former Assistant Chief of the Defence Staff, says Qatar and Saudi Arabia responsible for spread of radical Islam "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/iraq/11140860/Qatar-and-Saudi-Arabia-have-ignited-time-bomb-by-funding-global-spread-of-radical-Islam.html

• Like 2