Riding motorbikes in Thailand? You need to watch this!

craigt3365

Typical Aussies ,

the couple of times I've had them on the backs of my bikes , within a mile or two they're cryin' like babies and wanna get off.

my experience, 50 yrs of biking and still intact ( inc racing ) Some people suit two wheel, some don't ...

Ride safe & be lucky folks ....

• Like 2

Every time I worn people about riding motorcycles in Thailand the forum moderators jump on me.I'm just trying to save foreigners.

I started riding motorcycles in 1967. I stopped riding motorcycles in Thailand in 2009.If your riding away from the bigger cities you might have A chance.But big cities like Bangkok,Chiang Mai etc it's only A matter of time before your in the hospital or worse.

Good chance you'll be broadsided.

Motorcycles have the right of way of only bicycles,and pedestrians.Cars,buses,trucks will have the right of way over you.

It's not supposed to be that way,but the bigger vehicle wins in Thailand.Good Luck to Ya.

I'm in total agreement with you, been riding since I was a teen. There are some beautiful rides in the countryside up north. There are guided groups, if I get the Jones for it I'll rent something 650 or better (sometimes acceleration can be your friend) and go with a group ride sweep and enjoy! I see the convenience of scooters but not worth the risk, even the most careful rider can not be looking 360 at the same time, I feel it would be just a matter of time. Plenty of transport in the city.

Can you quote the law that says that for any riding you need an Intl DL?

I have one, but in 4 stops (just minor stop/check everyone type checkpoints) I've never been asked for it. Only my home country DL. I was under the impression that there is a 30 day grace period under which you are allowed to ride a motorbike with only your DL from home. If you stay longer, you're then expected to either have an Intl DL or get a Thai one. I'm speaking in reference to the Thai laws, not insurance rules... they may be 2 very different things.

I do fully agree that there are far too many people coming here that get way too comfortable with flaunting the rules and/or their own limits... and end up paying for it. It's not always their fault, but it often is. The vast majority of accidents I've seen foreigners involved with here did also involve someone who was consuming alcohol. And that person may or may not have been wearing a helmet. Lack of familiarity with Thai driving styles + no safety gear worn + alcohol is a bad recipe.

Gear up, ride sober, be very aware and ride defensively... it wont 100% guarantee you wont have an accident, but it will greatly reduce the chances.

My understanding is that Thailand requires an International Driving Licence - but it's only good for a stay of up to three months - sorry I don't know where the law is that says that.

I've had a similar experience when it came to checkpoints - on one occasion, the policeman even took photos of my Australian licence, but ignored my IDL.

I have my IDL because I need it for travel insurance cover in the event of a motorcycle accident. And when I read through the fine print of my IDL - somewhere it states very clearly that the issuing authority will never issue an IDL retrospectively. In other words, if I don't have an IDL at the time of the accident, I'm in for financial Armageddon. And my insurance company's T&Cs don't allow for any 30 day grace periods, regardless of how the police might see it.

Agree totally about gear, riding sober etc etc and riding defensively. Even doing all of that, I'm still amazed at the risks some drivers are happy to take with my life. So far it's been like "Get Smart" - missed me by thaaaaat much!! But I agree - it's still worth doing everything to reduce the chances.

I have one, but in 4 stops (just minor stop/check everyone type checkpoints) I've never been asked for it. Only my home country DL. I was under the impression that there is a 30 day grace period under which you are allowed to ride a motorbike with only your DL from home. If you stay longer, you're then expected to either have an Intl DL or get a Thai one. I'm speaking in reference to the Thai laws, not insurance rules... they may be 2 very different things.

I do fully agree that there are far too many people coming here that get way too comfortable with flaunting the rules and/or their own limits... and end up paying for it. It's not always their fault, but it often is. The vast majority of accidents I've seen foreigners involved with here did also involve someone who was consuming alcohol. And that person may or may not have been wearing a helmet. Lack of familiarity with Thai driving styles + no safety gear worn + alcohol is a bad recipe.

Gear up, ride sober, be very aware and ride defensively... it wont 100% guarantee you wont have an accident, but it will greatly reduce the chances.

My understanding is that Thailand requires an International Driving Licence - but it's only good for a stay of up to three months - sorry I don't know where the law is that says that.

I've had a similar experience when it came to checkpoints - on one occasion, the policeman even took photos of my Australian licence, but ignored my IDL.

I have my IDL because I need it for travel insurance cover in the event of a motorcycle accident. And when I read through the fine print of my IDL - somewhere it states very clearly that the issuing authority will never issue an IDL retrospectively. In other words, if I don't have an IDL at the time of the accident, I'm in for financial Armageddon. And my insurance company's T&Cs don't allow for any 30 day grace periods, regardless of how the police might see it.

Agree totally about gear, riding sober etc etc and riding defensively. Even doing all of that, I'm still amazed at the risks some drivers are happy to take with my life. So far it's been like "Get Smart" - missed me by thaaaaat much!! But I agree - it's still worth doing everything to reduce the chances.

recently returned from pattaya I got stopped by police showed them my uk and international driving licence, he promptly issued me a ticket for driving a bike without a thai driving licence, had to go to police station on a motor bike taxi paid a 600 baht fine returned to my bike on motorbike taxi , showed the officer my receipt, he gave me my licences back and sent me on my way still with no thai licence,

Don't be an idiot, Costa. Some of us know what we're doing. (That long pole thing is a walking stick - I have athlete's foot.)

Hmmm! Sir Lancealot would never ride a Harley biggrin.png

Yes he would if it was an old skool bike like that. smile.png

That looks to be about a 1997 Harley Springer which they've discontinued. The front wheel has springer suspension but some thought it wasn't real stable. That bike has the 80 ci EVO engine with no computer or fuel injection. It's carbureted and has electronic ignition. IMHO it's really nice.

Edited by NeverSure

I know a lot of guys who've ridden for decades but never had any formal training. May I please make some safety points?

1. Get at least 60% of your braking from your front tire. Braking the front tire causes a weight shift onto it for great traction where the rear wheel would just skid.

2. In real slow sharp turns such as U turns, lightly ride the rear brake while slipping the clutch or auto trans for a little power, and go on around.

3. For all turns above about 5 mph/kph countersteer. Turn the bars and wheel the opposite way you want to go and keep pushing the bars that direction through the turn. Sounds crazy if you haven't done it but it's the only way. Short vid attached. Note that the rider doesn't lean to turn the bike but rather the bike leans first and he is actually being pulled around and leaned to the outside of the curve. The physics are that strong.

Notice the pic on the vid. You can see it already. The bike is beginning to turn to his right and he is leaning to the outside due to centrifugal force, right there.

Cheers

Edited by NeverSure

I agree about the Tony's Big Bikes - not only do they do insurance - they also organise group rides/tours. And there are a few others around and they are not hard to find (nor is advice about gear and insurance).

Thanks,good to know that about Tony's. Just had a buddy come over for a 2-day ride,he rented a Honda 500cc from POP, not sure what he got in terms of insurance..... assurance..."bring bike back,no crash, get passport".

I was surprised to see mostly Chinese in there renting big to mid-size bikes,some riders even had full gear,all shiny and new.....know what they say; its not that you went down on your bike, but how good you looked getting back up! thumbsup.gif

Apparently today (mar.01) is the start of the '100%' road safety campaign - checking for everything - license,insurance,reg., helmet (driver/pillion).

You never rode a bike or a moped at home let alone a 750cc monster. You never passed a driving test or a bike riding course. Why would you do it here? I am not a fan of the 'Nanny State'..but there is self preservation!

Rode a motorcycle in my youth in UK but only a 175cc BSA. Ridden here in Thailand every day for the last 30 plus years from 100cc to 200cc. Ridden around north east & north west India and the length and breadth of Nepal on 175cc. Ridden Pattaya-Bangkok v.v. once and Pattaya-Trat v.v. once. Took a full Thai test not just the showing of UK license.

Fell off a few times: snow, ice, oil, gravel etc. Got hit by a car couple times, both in UK. Still alive and enjoying it at 62 years young.

Your post does not apply to me and many like me. So who's the 'you' your referring to.

Edited by Keesters
  • Like 1

You never rode a bike or a moped at home let alone a 750cc monster. You never passed a driving test or a bike riding course. Why would you do it here? I am not a fan of the 'Nanny State'..but there is self preservation!

Rode a motorcycle in my youth in UK but only a 175cc BSA. Ridden here in Thailand every day for the last 30 plus years from 100cc to 200cc. Ridden around north east & north west India and the length and breadth of Nepal on 175cc. Ridden Pattaya-Bangkok v.v. once and Pattaya-Trat v.v. once. Took a full Thai test not just the showing of UK license.

Fell off a few times: snow, ice, oil, gravel etc. Got hit by a car couple times, both in UK. Still alive and enjoying it at 62 years young.

Your post does not apply to me and many like me. So who's the 'you' your referring to.

I remember the BSA Bantam(125) and the C11(250) so whats this 175 you had?

I've lived in chiang mai for almost 3 years now, owned multiple cycles small and large, put about 60,000 km on them, and have never had a crash bigger than a little jam-up on a moped not even worth mentioning. I'm sick and tired of folks who are deathly afraid of cycles and quote statistics to try to convince others out of their own cowardice. Many of these guys are afraid of their own shadows. In my book, they are already dead! The key to safety with riding motorcycles is awareness and ability to react quickly to what happens in front of you. It can be done with an acceptable degree of safety once you get the hang of the "jungle rules" way people ride in northern Thailand. I would not wish to do anymore riding in the south (anything remotely near BKK or Pattaya). Way too treacherous and just not fun. The NORTH is where all the fun riding is.

If you are a confident rider and know the basics of motorcycle riding, once again it CAN be done with an acceptable degree of safety in northern Thailand. If however, you are afraid of motorcycles and afraid of the idea of getting on one, then don't, as a lack of confidence itself will cause you to be uncomfortable while riding. This in turn will cause you to be distracted, and THAT is the worst possible mental state to have while riding. You WILL crash. Confidence, calmness, and coolness are required.

Yes, there are folks out there riding around like maniacs who believe they are invincible. Rest assured they will eventually kill themselves. These are the folks responsible for the scary statistics in Thailand. Keep your eye out for them, give them a wide berth, and you will be OK. Let them kill themselves if that's their wish :-)

There are few things more exhilarating than the laissez-faire way we can ride here in northern Thailand.....freedom from the over-regulation existing on roads in the west. Riding in the west is too sterile an environment for me......too many police out to get you for minor infractions in ridiculous situations just to collect revenue to pay down the country's (or state's) debt!

Get yourself out of the city and into the mountains, and on the remote roads of northern Thailand and many times you will be hard pressed even to find other vehicles around you to collide with. Live your life while you can.....plenty of time for rest in the grave.

• Like 1

I remember the BSA Bantam(125) and the C11(250) so whats this 175 you had?

Bantam's were also available as 175cc from 1958. Mine was a 1965 model in red. See wikipedia for more info.

<Snip>

Sometimes I want lunch out at Bang Saray, so I gear up and take my 650cc out there, 25 clicks each way and this I also enjoying enormously, both the lunch and the ride. I do short bursts up to app 160 km/h when I know it's safe to do so but I normally just ride slightly faster than the traffic flow when out on the highways.

<Snip>

Just curious to know which roads allow 160Kmph?

Almost twice the maximum allowed on motorways?

To my mind, this statement rather negates all the other very sensible points you made in your post.

No other road user is going to expect a m/c to be travelling at that speed.

If you are seen at all, it will be only a split second before you have closed.

It only needs a stray dog to run out in front of you.

Riding faster than general traffic flow is not the right thing to do IMHO.

Staying in the flow is right.

Look at the other Dashcam video in this thread. Many of the incidents (not accidents) were due to riders not travelling with the traffic flow, they were impatent and wanted to get there faster.

The unfortunate scooter rider trying to pass the lorry on the inside and negotiating round a pushbike never knew what hit him.

What is it worth to save a minute or two on a journey and risk a lifetime early in Heaven (or Hell)?

One tip I would like to add is be seen and heard.

I used to ride to work in the City of London (later to Docklands) from Edgware, there were many occasions when I could see that a car driver just haddn't seen me.

I would declutch and rev the engine like hell in as noisy a blip as I could do.

At that moment, almost all other drivers wondered what the hell was happening, started looking round and slowed down.

Job done, everyone safe, just a few possibly thinking - Who the hell does he think he is, or words to that effect!

I have a full UK driving licence for cars and m/c's

I have Thai 5 year car and m/c licences.

My biggest bike was a 1,300cc Yamaha Venture Royal.

Easy to wear all the gear in the UK but not so easy here.

Once your hands sweat, it's nigh on impossible to get gloves off and then back on again.

It is also very important to stay hydrated and to keep your head cool (proper airflow helmet etc.)

Too easy to overheat on long journies, lose concentration.....

Regular stops to remind your legs you are still in a dangerous world.

Sorry for the rant - be safe.

I only ride my motorbike around my home and NEVER on a busy road after seeing so many accidents here...and I still doing some mistakes.

I am from Spain. It is something I do not understand at all about Thai traffic.

I never live before on a country with right driving side, and opening the driver door facing incoming traffic.

Just this week TV channel 3 news shows 2 accidents with foreigners because that, one fatal with a bicyclist. Another one, with a Thai on a motorbike. After colliding with the opening door, its was trow on the road 30 meters away and was lucky that no cars were coming at that time, and looks like its was not seriously injured...but...the car driver looked at its door damage..and drove away. Just that.

I really think that there are a lot more motorbike accidents with foreigners in Thailand that the ones reported. A lot more...and with fatalities.

To my mind, this statement rather negates all the other very sensible points you made in your post.

Look at the other Dashcam video in this thread. Many of the incidents (not accidents) were due to riders not travelling with the traffic flow, they were impatent and wanted to get there faster.

The unfortunate scooter rider trying to pass the lorry on the inside and negotiating round a pushbike never knew what hit him.

What is it worth to save a minute or two on a journey and risk a lifetime early in Heaven (or Hell)?

I used to ride to work in the City of London (later to Docklands) from Edgware, there were many occasions when I could see that a car driver just haddn't seen me.

At that moment, almost all other drivers wondered what the hell was happening, started looking round and slowed down.

Job done, everyone safe, just a few possibly thinking - Who the hell does he think he is, or words to that effect!

Once your hands sweat, it's nigh on impossible to get gloves off and then back on again.

It is also very important to stay hydrated and to keep your head cool (proper airflow helmet etc.)

I said short bursts up to 160.

My mid sized bike can do that very fast and then I slow down again, I mostly do this at intersections when it shifts to green light and a nice empty 3 lane one way road ahead of me.

Yes as soon as you have small sois branching into the road you are riding on, then it's getting much more risky.

I prefer riding slightly faster than normal traffic, this reduces the chances of getting rear ended.

If you read the topic in bike forum; riding safely in Thailand, most of the riders thought this is the best way.

I said short bursts up to 160.

My mid sized bike can do that very fast and then I slow down again, I mostly do this at intersections when it shifts to green light and a nice empty 3 lane one way road ahead of me.

Yes as soon as you have small sois branching into the road you are riding on, then it's getting much more risky.

I prefer riding slightly faster than normal traffic, this reduces the chances of getting rear ended.

If you read the topic in bike forum; riding safely in Thailand, most of the riders thought this is the best way.

I used to have a nice 750 Yam, lotsa chrome and grunt.

I raced away at a traffic light and was way ahead of the traffic platoon following on behind.

A car pulled out of a side turning and I nearly tee boned him, he didn't see me at all.

That lesson taught me never to be the first, or last through traffic lights.

I just watched a long video of motorbike crashes world wide. Most of them was because the bike was going faster than the traffic flow.

Stationary cars being overtaken by a bike who didn't see the car pulling out from a side road. There was even a policeman who was overtaking stationary traffic on a dual carriage way when a car door opened and he rammed it.

A large number of bikes hitting the side of a vehicle who decided to turn without a signal, had the bike not attempted the overtaking there would have been no incident. Not to mention bikes slamming into the back of a vehicle that pulled up suddenly.....

Be safe, it's not always what you do, it can easily be the other crazy sods who have just lost concentration for a moment or do the unexpected.

• Like 1

I sort of agree with you.

I am never the first crossing an intersection when the lights change to green.

In Thailand a huge amount of vehicles runs yellow/red lights at intersections so take your time before crossing and look if safe to do so.

I guess we can agree to disagree on going slightly faster than general traffic.rolleyes.gif

On my trips out to Bang Saray there are some road crossings that are real dangerous and you better not speed there or you can ending up T-boning a big bus which you don't want to do.

Yes always be prepared for the unexpected, a car/bike not using turn signals, a bike driving against the traffic and so on, I saw that last time when out riding, a small scooter had smashed into a car head on because the "intelligent" scooter rider thought he/she could save some time by riding against traffic flow, &lt;deleted&gt;facepalm.gif

I didn't stop to help because an ambulance was already at the scene but it didn't look good for the scooter rider. sad.png

• Like 1

Just had 20 Thais on their big bikes 450's and up just go by on the 214 to the Chong Chom crossing heading to Siem Reap. BTW these boys know how to dress and ride.

Wow. I've never seen 20 Thai registered motorcycles in Cambodia. And of course being Cambodia those bikes wouldn't have any insurance as Cambodia doesn't give insurance to foreign registered vehicles.

Just had 20 Thais on their big bikes 450's and up just go by on the 214 to the Chong Chom crossing heading to Siem Reap. BTW these boys know how to dress and ride.

Wow. I've never seen 20 Thai registered motorcycles in Cambodia. And of course being Cambodia those bikes wouldn't have any insurance as Cambodia doesn't give insurance to foreign registered vehicles.

Don't think they have insurance period. That's what a mate of mine tells me and his two kids are taxi drivers. Doesn't have insurance on his own car either and he's a farang who insured everything back in NZ. So if you're going over there make sure you have good personal injury coverage cause you'll get nothing from the bus or taxi that might crash while you're riding in it. Same goes if you take your own bike.

By law and IDP is NOT required. For tourists home license is valid (provided in English and with photo), for residents a Thai license is required.

Regarding travel insurance, posted by somebody else: a general rule 'travel insurance is usually not valid for riding a motorbike' is simply not true. Many will cover it, some won't. But yes, nearly always one will need a valid motorbike license in order to be covered.

Edited by stevenl

By law and IDP is NOT required. For tourists home license is valid (provided in English and with photo), for residents a Thai license is required.

Regarding travel insurance, posted by somebody else: a general rule 'travel insurance is usually not valid for riding a motorbike' is simply not true. Many will cover it, some won't. But yes, nearly always one will need a valid motorbike license in order to be covered.

A helmet should also be part of the requirements for insurance.

No helmet=no brain=no insurance.