I've been driving here for three years. What happens when I go back home?

cooked

.. and what happened to you when you went back after a year or two here? I used to get really annoyed at people not following the law to the letter back home. Up to a point I am now thinking that the Thai way is better as long as you don't encounter a drunk, or a self centred idiot.. but the same applies anywhere.

Recalling my first white knuckle drive into town in an old truck, I would really like to know what some of you guys experienced.

• Like 1

But the wipers and such don't change just because it's right drive, the model of car is the issue everything else is the same just on the wrong side, those parts are interchangeable.. Cooked you're so right, back 2 years now and longing for the freedom of Thailand riving again. What irks me most is that the drivers here feel entitled to be rude, inconsiderate, ignorant and out right break the law but SHOULD know better so by my following the laws I get really irritated with the ignorance and especially with the inconsideration as IMO they should know better and that's what I expect. There I just accepted it and went with the flow, did my own thing without too much worry regarding breaking laws etc., that's not to say I broke them at every occasion or even intentionally I just didn't stress over it so much like you have to here and get irritated when it's all around you and no one is getting pulled over when you know the first time you did it, you would and it would cost you big time.

Edited by WarpSpeed

I've been driving here 9 years and love the concept of no rules; no manners; no restrictions. When I'm driving alone I rant and roar at the ineptitude of other drivers around me. My wife thinks I'm perfect till I get behind a wheel. When we holiday in UK she is amazed at how sedately I drive; how well-mannered I am.

The difference may have something to do with policing?

I've been driving here 9 years and love the concept of no rules; no manners; no restrictions. When I'm driving alone I rant and roar at the ineptitude of other drivers around me. My wife thinks I'm perfect till I get behind a wheel. When we holiday in UK she is amazed at how sedately I drive; how well-mannered I am.

The difference may have something to do with policing?

Our granddaughter has learnt quite a few words while I have been driving.

After a few years driving in Thailand it could be a good advice to do a few hours with a professional driving instructor for "readjustment".

Tell him the problem and he will inform you about law changes and "correct" your driving.

Personally, i do not drive back in the old country.

Why spoil your holyday with concentrating on over- regulated road traffic?