Things about Thailand that boggle my mind (1 of a series): Solar Power

Seligne2

Very simple answer to this one (makes a change).

I have extensive knowledge of installing and maintaining solar panel and photo voltaic panels.

Supply and install in an average size domestic property in the UK there is a ten year pay back period.

In Thailand the pay back period id about fifteen+ years, and by that time the panels will probably need replacing.

At this time with the expensive cost of materials and installation compared to the relatively cheap cost of electricity in Asia it just does not make economic sense to install solar power (unless you are on a mission to save the planet).

Who wants to take a hot shower in this climate?

The minimalists among us may have decided a hot shower is an unnecessary expense, but I imagine many other people prefer a hot shower.

I like a hot shower, but I use aircon, so I don't have to sweat in my house. My hot water tank and pump are on the roof, so I do get the advantage of warm water in the evening, but I want it warm in the morning.

It does get chilly in Chiang Mai and other areas in the North; so a hot shower may be welcomed by many residents there.

I have both a water heater and aircon in my apartment. I just prefer not to use them.

This is not out of 'minimalism' or frugality. I just like it that way.

That's good because using them is neither minimalist nor frugal.

• Like 1

Quite a few people saying it is hot so why bother. My house is about 10 degrees in the morning for much of the cold season. They are three locations to have a shower at my place. Amazingly the only one that gets used is the one with the heater. At least until hot season really kicks in. And that includes my father in law who had nothing but cold water all his life but now walks to my house to have a shower in the evening.

I will be setting up solar for dishes this year as well. It's better and you can bodge together a simple system for not many bahts.

• Like 1

Very simple answer to this one (makes a change). I have extensive knowledge of installing and maintaining solar panel and photo voltaic panels. Supply and install in an average size domestic property in the UK there is a ten year pay back period. In Thailand the pay back period id about fifteen+ years, and by that time the panels will probably need replacing. At this time with the expensive cost of materials and installation compared to the relatively cheap cost of electricity in Asia it just does not make economic sense to install solar power (unless you are on a mission to save the planet).

Irrelevant. We are not talking solar panels (active solar) here...

• Like 1

I brought s 50 gal electric water heater from the US and love it. Hot water in every sink and shower.

People that believe energy companies are holding solar back crack me up.

Why wouldn,t the Energy company not invest in holding back renewable energy, seems Mr nice guy Energy Corporation isn,t doing his job for the share holders, who by Law he must strive to get, the biggest bang for their buck,s. Worries me ,Dinosaurs that tow the Energy Corp Agenda.

Edited by theslime

I brought s 50 gal electric water heater from the US and love it. Hot water in every sink and shower.

People that believe energy companies are holding solar back crack me up.

Why wouldn,t the Energy company not invest in holding back renewable energy, seems Mr nice guy Energy Corporation isn,t doing his job for the share holders, who by Law he must strive to get, the biggest bang for their buck,s. Worries me ,Dinosaurs that tow the Energy Corp Agenda.

Exactly.

If it were cheaper to generate electricity using solar panels, greedy electric companies would be installing solar panels.

• Like 1

I think ground water temperature is pretty constant year round, so it you're not storing your shower water in an above ground tank, it would not be very cold in the winter.

personally, I like a my morning shower really hot and hard, and I like a hot relaxing tub-bath before bed.

That said, if other people are happy with piss-warm water from a roof tank or chicken-sh*t wall-heater dripping on them it's fine by me.

I do. You've obviously never been to the north where it gets cold in winter. Perhaps you need to see a bit more of Thailand.

Perhaps you need to stop making foolish assumptions about people.

I think ground water temperature is pretty constant year round, so it you're not storing your shower water in an above ground tank, it would not be very cold in the winter.

personally, I like a my morning shower really hot and hard, and I like a hot relaxing tub-bath before bed.

That said, if other people are happy with piss-warm water from a roof tank or chicken-sh*t wall-heater dripping on them it's fine by me.

I've never taken a bath once in the entire time I've lived here. Just doesn't appeal in a tropical climate.

I've never taken a bath once in the entire time I've lived here. Just doesn't appeal in a tropical climate.

Maybe it's time to start - before we can smell you through the internet.

It's only a tropical climate when you go outside....

To that end, I would much rather do without hot water than AC.

Actually,

Let me unboggle your mind.

They cost more per watt than AC power.

What exactly costs more per watt than AC power? We are not talking electricity here.

Cost of capital + depreciation.

They don't last forever you know.

The total lifetime cost of solar panels divided by amount of electricity generated is higher than that of mains electricity.

Let me unboggle your mind.

They cost more per watt than AC power.

What exactly costs more per watt than AC power? We are not talking electricity here.

Cost of capital + depreciation.

They don't last forever you know.

The total lifetime cost of solar panels divided by amount of electricity generated is higher than that of mains electricity.

Duh. This thread is not about photovoltaic panels. It is about passive solar power.

I do. You've obviously never been to the north where it gets cold in winter. Perhaps you need to see a bit more of Thailand.

Perhaps you need to stop making foolish assumptions about people.

Perhaps you need to stop making foolish generalisations about the temperature in all of Thailand.

• 2 weeks later...

Just seen this topic after being off-line for a few weeks...but my experience if anyone's interested...

I made my own simple passive solar water heater using 4 x 4m lengths of 2" PVC pipe, manifolded together at each end, and lying on a sloping outhouse roof, with a 1/2" supply at the bottom and outlet at the top, operating on the house's normal pumped supply. Even in it's original blue, it gets to a little over 50C pretty quickly, even in the cool season, although it does cool quickly after the sun sets. Provides just over 60 litres which is fine for washing the dishes during the day, or a hot shower in the afternoon, but not much use later... Total cost was just over 1000 bt.

Improvement might be to insulate the upper half to give 30 lit which would stay hot longer (but take longer to heat up), or to paint it black, to let it get hotter (but maybe this would soften the PVC...??).

Ultimate would be to fit an insulated SS storage tank at the top but this ramps up the costs, with additional support required as well, or to use low pressure tank with a circulating pumped system - again more complex and costly...

• Like 1

Just seen this topic after being off-line for a few weeks...but my experience if anyone's interested...

I made my own simple passive solar water heater using 4 x 4m lengths of 2" PVC pipe, manifolded together at each end, and lying on a sloping outhouse roof, with a 1/2" supply at the bottom and outlet at the top, operating on the house's normal pumped supply. Even in it's original blue, it gets to a little over 50C pretty quickly, even in the cool season, although it does cool quickly after the sun sets. Provides just over 60 litres which is fine for washing the dishes during the day, or a hot shower in the afternoon, but not much use later... Total cost was just over 1000 bt.

Improvement might be to insulate the upper half to give 30 lit which would stay hot longer (but take longer to heat up), or to paint it black, to let it get hotter (but maybe this would soften the PVC...??).

Ultimate would be to fit an insulated SS storage tank at the top but this ramps up the costs, with additional support required as well, or to use low pressure tank with a circulating pumped system - again more complex and costly...

Clever installation, good job. In Japan 30 years ago they sold black rubber bladders that essentially lay flat on the roof, distributing their PSI. I wonder if they are still available?

You don't need a pump. Just rig it up as a thermosyphon system.

Hot water is never a problem.

With water lines installed above the ground, I often need to wait a while for water cool enough to shower with!

I have often thought about a water cooler...

Sometimes I need a cold shower!cheesy.gif