PM urges Thais to promote women's role

Lite Beer

PM urges Thais to promote women's role

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha Friday urged Thais to promote women's role and empowering of women on the occasion of the International Women's Day.

He said Thailand has continually demonstrated its commitment to the empowering of women.

"A National Commission on Woman’s Affairs has been established to promote and support women's roles in society. Let us be mindful of past struggles to achieve equality, justice, peace and progress. Women now play diverse roles in the various functions of society," Prayut said during his weekly TV prorgamme.

"I would like to ask all Thais to contribute toward increasing the roles and capability of women within Thai society. Countless female individuals have demonstrated their capabilities in acting as important driving forces behind the country's economic and social progress. This year marks the 20th anniversary of the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action, which emphasizes doing away with discrimination of women and hurdles to gender equality that include use of violence and unequal access to education and healthcare."

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/PM-urges-Thais-to-promote-womens-role-30255528.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-03-06

• Like 1

In spite of what the usual bashers on here post Thailand does very well compared to most other countries in the world as 38% of top executive positions are held by women, putting Thailand in the top 30 countries.

Check out where the country you come from stands.

post-12069-0-04997600-1425686341_thumb.j

• Like 1

What about the female you deposed?

Wonderful. Wish I would have said that.

A customer in Thailand has about 15 Thai women working for him. They are nothing sort of amazing. The customer is a non Thai. Not sure if large scale promotion, hiring and empowerment of women is a non Thai trait. We all know what the good general and the Thai elite think of foreign businesses. Thai women, without connections, may have to wait a long time for the lip service to be turned into anything substantive

He said Thailand has continually demonstrated its commitment to the empowering of women.

It is purest cynicism- maybe someone skipped homework again before making statements. Here's the truth about women living under the commitment to the empowering of women:

According to statistics from 2013, an average of 87 cases of sexual violence against women and children were reported per day in Thailand - about one case every 15 minutes. Officially, the number in 2013 is 31.866.

According to a study by the National Statistical Office (NSO) and UNICEF in 27,000 households in November of 2012, 13.1 percent of the women and girls between the ages of 15 and 49 believe that the husband or partner has the right to beat them.

Among the most popular reasons why women accept the beating was justified include neglect of children (10.8%), going out without informing the partner (4.3%) when they argue with their partner (2%), if they sexually refuse (2%) and if they are burning the dinner (1%). 44 percent of Thai women have already experienced beatings and sexual violence.

I consider quotes to this like- it happens elsewhere too- as irrelevant.

"Among the most popular reasons why women accept the beating was justified include neglect of children (10.8%), going out without informing the partner (4.3%) when they argue with their partner (2%), if they sexually refuse (2%) and if they are burning the dinner (1%). 44 percent of Thai women have already experienced beatings and sexual violence."

Among the most popular answers but two of them scored only 2% and another only 1%?

They don't sound very popular to me or if they are amongst the top scorers (i.e. popular) then it would seem there must have been scores of other reasons given.

• Like 1

What is the percentage of women in the thai police?
I would welcome to see more women in the thai police,
doing proper service, with praesens on the streets, patrol with proper uniforms, etc.
and not like the few, they are have now, sitting behind small desks at the stations.
Many countries have very good experience with a higher presence of women in the police service.
They should read some studys.

The existing show-off-macho club they should dissolve completely.
In order to reduce the existing, rather poor image, they need to make a clear cut.

Edited by tomacht8

I see two aspects on this: intra- and international.

I'm not Thai, so I'll only post on the latter.

Welfare.

Thai women promote their families by tradition.

With the decline of European nanny states, they now also promote the margins of European families, by taking care of elderly expats that are pushed away from their Farang families.

Thai ladies also promote that this emerging international welfare system can be financed.

Last not least, some Thai women should open the eyes of Farangs that like to bash Thai females so much.

Farang females should learn that emancipation is not for white women only.

don't them empower already also ?

check al the cheated farang stories, they take over everything the farang ever owned, worked for and saved up

all that without working...

free land, free house, free cars, free furniture, free fat bank account

isn't that empowering women ?

What about the female you deposed?

Positive discrimination doesn't mean having a big brother give you a job for which you are not qualified. That's rather demeaning. Promote a woman's role because she's cute and photographs good?

• Like 1

doing proper service, with praesens on the streets, patrol with proper uniforms, etc.

and not like the few, they are have now, sitting behind small desks at the stations.

Many countries have very good experience with a higher presence of women in the police service.

In order to reduce the existing, rather poor image, they need to make a clear cut.

They had some police women in Bangkok (around Siam Square)

Maybe good idea to have mixed-gender patrols in entertainment areas.

Ordinary yes, but seeing the topic of "nurse association cries foul over using uniforms in a bar", one may need to be a wee bit careful wink.png

I suspect that most of the women in the police are in branches like immigration where women appear to outnumber men, because they are not on the street does not mean they are not there.

I suspect that most of the women in the police are in branches like immigration where women appear to outnumber men, because they are not on the street does not mean they are not there.

Because we all know the street is no place for a woman -- at least that is likely the mentality.... women are just not capable of defending themselves (I know several women that could kick my ass and embarrass me if they tried).