Dogs on Samoeng ring road?

jebus111

I was planning to do the Samoeng ring road on a day trip with a bicycle. But now that I've read about people being chased and even bitten by stray dogs I'm not so sure about it anymore. Is it really dangerous to to the route on a bicycle?

Alternatively i was thinking about renting a car and driving from Chiang Mai to Doi Angkhang to Chiang Rai and back. Is this route doable for someone driving in Thailand for the first time?

Thanks for your feedback.

I've driven to Chiang Rai and back a few times, and also to Pai.

It amazes me how so many drivers assume that no-one is going to be just around a blind corner when they cut the corner or overtake on those cute double lines.

As a Thai friend said to me "they're only there for advice" !!

Keep well to your left in the car, and leave your bike at home.

I have a home up a turnoff from the Samoeng Loop RD and I can't recall any stray dog on that road or any roads giving me chase over the past many years. Sometimes a dog in a village may yap and chase a bit, showing off to protect its territory, but nothing serious. Most stray dogs you see along the side of the road in the forest areas are on their last legs so to speak, too weak to bite or give chase.

The drive to Doi Angkhan to Chiang Rai and back is doable, but that would be one long drive. Best to make a day trip just to Doi Angkhan, or better yet overnight on Doi Angkhan but dress for the cold, or overnight in Fang or Thaton with a return via Mae Salong and Chiang Rai.

• Like 1

I've driven to Chiang Rai and back a few times, and also to Pai.

It amazes me how so many drivers assume that no-one is going to be just around a blind corner when they cut the corner or overtake on those cute double lines.

As a Thai friend said to me "they're only there for advice" !!

Keep well to your left in the car, and leave your bike at home.

Been all over the north and south on 2 wheels.. Always adjust my speed to the circumstances.