Thailand on course to levy land tax for the first time

Good move.

This is a tax on the rich very overdue.

There are many rich Thais that own a lot of land and they leave it untouched as they have no need to sell or cultivate.

About time they pay their taxes.

This is unheard in the western world.

We all pay taxes for houses or land owned.

What I don't like is that they shouldn't exempt Buddhist temples.

They make enough money to afford to contribute to the country and not only take.

You sound like a welfare recipient. And a communist.

Because if you ever had an honest job in your life you would realize that what you earn does not belong to me. Just the same as what I earn does not belong to you.

And who do you think you are telling other people what they should do with their own property?

Edited by Time Traveller

Good move.

There are many rich Thais that own a lot of land and they leave it untouched as they have no need to sell or cultivate.

They make enough money to afford to contribute to the country and not only take.

Buddhist temples are technically state property already - not subject to tax

You are wrong, most buddhist temples are built on private given land and funded through charity, but not subjected to tax as the monks aren't working or classified as workers. (my own theory from here on) This is the perfect solution for land owners to be able to avoid taxes, they can claim the size of the land for the temple is larger than it is as their (land owners) name is still on the land deed, but with a contract with head monk at the time to let the temple with its monks use it for the purpose it's supposed to.

...and why are only Buddhist Temples exempt of tax? This should make the Muslims in the deep south even more happy and reconciled.

Edited by tigermonkey

Good move.

Because if you ever had an honest job in your life you would realize that what you earn does not belong to me. Just the same as what I earn does not belong to you.

And who do you think you are telling other people what they should do with their own property?

Communist? Really???

What you earn is in part owed to others. You certainly didn't pay to build the infrastructure you rely on all by yourself.

• Like 2

Good move.

You are wrong, most buddhist temples are built on private given land and funded through charity, but not subjected to tax as the monks aren't working or classified as workers. (my own theory from here on) This is the perfect solution for land owners to be able to avoid taxes, they can claim the size of the land for the temple is larger than it is as their (land owners) name is still on the land deed, but with a contract with head monk at the time to let the temple with its monks use it for the purpose it's supposed to.

...and why are only Buddhist Temples exempt of tax? This should make the Muslims in the deep south even more happy and reconciled.

Mosques are exempt as well.

Good move.

Communist? Really???

What you earn is in part owed to others. You certainly didn't pay to build the infrastructure you rely on all by yourself.

Get your facts correct before writing propoganda like this.

FYI, in this country - and every other country I've lived in - if I want to make use of any "infrastructure" I do indeed pay. I pay fuel taxes and car registration and sometimes tolls to use roads. I pay monthly bill for water to my home. I pay a fee to have a telephone in service (in addition to the cost of any calls), I pay a fee for internet, I pay fee called airport tax to make use of an airport, I pay a fee for every single government service ever invented.

We like Thailand just the way it is, so please take your communist beliefs somewhere else - Cuba or North Korea would be suitable - where you will be happy being a parasite. If you disagree, then I will be happy for you to pay me a sum of money that I determine is appropriate.

Edited by Time Traveller

Very well said "Time Traveler"..................and now that its break time take a deep breath an wrap this all up! in one short sentence.

Oh! .......let me do it!....................in general speaking from what I gathered at the end of this discussion over taxes. Your position is "Let the people of Thailand decide if they feel this tax is equitable. His position is...........Make everyone pay his/her share of the tax

imposed, to include religious groups of all sector's. It seems to me your both kind of wanting the same thing. But both of you forgot just one little thing!.......your both guests here in this country, and neither of you should be arguing over stuff you can't change anyway........................shake hands ....and lets move on to something else! ...... Bye guys!

Good move.

Communist? Really???

Get your facts correct before writing propoganda like this.

FYI, in this country - and every other country I've lived in - if I want to make use of any "infrastructure" I do indeed pay. I pay fuel taxes and car registration and sometimes tolls to use roads. I pay monthly bill for water to my home. I pay a fee to have a telephone in service (in addition to the cost of any calls), I pay a fee for internet, I pay fee called airport tax to make use of an airport, I pay a fee for every single government service ever invented.

We like Thailand just the way it is, so please take your communist beliefs somewhere else - Cuba or North Korea would be suitable - where you will be happy being a parasite. If you disagree, then I will be happy for you to pay me a sum of money that I determine is appropriate.

Apparently you don't know the definition of Communist

Absolutely everything you do is maintained by taxes and unless you were paying taxes when the infrastructure was built you owe.

Somebody pays, you just don't think it should be you.

In your tax free utopia you will certainly find yourself penniless or dead. Infrastructure, police, hospitals, air quality, everything requires taxes.

• Like 1

Good move.

Once the land is given it is no longer private / becomes property of the state

Hard to take seriously a thread where you find a Greek advocating paying taxes!

Must take it seriously. Sadly, so many Greeks have come to expect others to pay for their lifestyle. (TV contributors excluded, of course)

Edited by attento

So does this mean that all those lazy Issan women

who met their prince on a dating website, built them

a huge mansion, made the prince give a huge sin sot

to the mother because he was a hunsum rich man,

kicked him out because the walking ATM was dry ?

Will they now have to pay tax on their dream home

that has no power because they cut off the hand that

fed them,, we will all have the last laugh fellas,, and

let us all give the ladies a hearty (the bird) salute.

Dont worry for them. They will already have found the next Western sucker. One falls out and the next one appears over the horizon whistling.gif

Good move.

Not all Temples are created equal. I live in Udorn and the Wat my wife attends certainly in not swimming in baht as the high flying ones in Bangkok and this temple certainly appeals to the lower/poorer Thai people . I am sure there are many examples in Issan as well not being able to afford this kind of tax. If it was structured like housing tax system, I.E. only above a certain value would be taxed. That approach might work!

I would prefer to see any tax reforms postponed until after martial law is lifted and a civilian elected government is firmly in place. This way there can be a proper debate, as their should be.

My wife and I have discussed this very topic. I believe that holds true on many levels. Not only the taxing but big spending projects that take trillions of borrowed money to pay for. The junta should not be adding so much debt to the future of Thai prosperity, it should be put off till democratic processes are in place. I think it was no taxation without representation!!! I heard that somewhere before!smile.png

• Like 1

Good move.

Wow! Church's are exempt including Scientology in most countries why not temples?? Just because here the Monks system of privately sowing what they individually reap should not be held again the Buddhist temples and the land they sit on. Somehow some way the lights have to be paid for and kept on. Most monks seem to have an entrepreneurial spirit in them. My wife has a uncle who is a well loved monk in their village and he is continually buying plots of land beautifying them and selling them to prospective new home builders. Likes to keep busy 555

I would prefer to see any tax reforms postponed until after martial law is lifted and a civilian elected government is firmly in place. This way there can be a proper debate, as their should be.

Good common sense comment! All taxes they come up with can be whipped or massaged by a good Lawyer.

The rich know how to work with the Law in Thailand-- and if they write it themselves---you can bet it will

be in Their favor-- USA Corporation is a perfect example.

A popular talking point in western media lately has been the use of Offshore Tax Havens by the world's wealthy and yet many of the S&P500's corporations use them legitimately. Another little known fact is for a non-resident non US citizen by far the best tax haven is the USA.

Edited by 96tehtarp

It is indeed good to see that a value of a million Baht or lower there will be no land tax charged , this covers a lot of blue collar Thai's , however once introduced these type of sweet deals tend to lead a well worn path to general increase in later years, I predict in future years there will be an effort to screw the poorer Thai into the ground, just a little more.coffee1.gif

It is indeed good to see that a value of a million Baht or lower there will be no land tax charged , this covers a lot of blue collar Thai's , however once introduced these type of sweet deals tend to lead a well worn path to general increase in later years, I predict in future years there will be an effort to screw the poorer Thai into the ground, just a little more.coffee1.gif

Yeap. What's the expression... Once the camel gets his nose under the tent... 'Course in Thailand, WRT taxation generally, that's already happened. All downhill from here. A month or so ago it was a tax on "sugary drinks". Before that increases on alcohol. Before that a higher proposed VAT. They do pick up on some things from the west rather quickly.

Good move.

Based on recent news ... I have a hunch that a significant amount of money laundering goes on with the assistance of temples. I'm not trying to criticize buddhism or anything, just saying it seems like the two would go hand in hand quite nicely.

In a learning moment for the rest of us could you please connect the dots and explain the "recent news" that draws a line to this money laundering?

I feel ike I am watching Fox news, where the 9AM reporter says , "It is like Obama is a space alien."

And the 11AM reporter says "Some people in the press are concerned that Obama is a space alien"

They then interview 3 scientists, ask them if it is POSSIBLE for Obama to be a space alien, and 2 say "I suppose that it is possible. It is highly unlikely."

BREAKING NEWS: "66% of scientists surveyed believe it is possible that Obama is a space alien."

I know we live in the twitter-sphere and no one speaks or writes in complete sentences and paragraphs much anymore ... but before you cast dispersions upon the most revered portion of the Kingdom, you may want to site some references, examples and put forward a compelling argument...

This is like spreading rumors about someone's Mother ... if she is in fact a practitioner of the world's oldest profession, you had better be able to back that up with strong evidence before her husband gets hold of you.

You are in Thailand ... consider what you have just written. Now please, back it up with something approaching fact, or consider retracting it.

Thank You.

If taxes were paid, possibly more people would respect each others property and belongings, plus the environment too? It amazes me how so many Thais have no idea about land ownership. They seem to think that land loaned to them to occupy by the Government, belongs to them!

The land is usually sold-on, which is illegal! I wonder how many farang, have invested in land, that does not belong to the Thai family, who, in many cases, claim it to be there own property?

Good move.

Wow! Church's are exempt including Scientology in most countries why not temples?? Just because here the Monks system of privately sowing what they individually reap should not be held again the Buddhist temples and the land they sit on. Somehow some way the lights have to be paid for and kept on. Most monks seem to have an entrepreneurial spirit in them. My wife has a uncle who is a well loved monk in their village and he is continually buying plots of land beautifying them and selling them to prospective new home builders. Likes to keep busy 555

I don't think your anecdotal story of your uncle in law can logically be extended to "most monks"

No way. The vehicles are not in a database to protect those illegally owning illegally imported cars (farmers all have Ferrari's, the thugs). Land is much more valuable than cars. Why would they ever pass a fair land tax law that can be documented with a paper trail.

To collect taxes. You can't hide your taxable property in the names of nominees. The taxes get paid or the government puts a lien on the land that must be cleared before sale (or before upgrading the deed)

There is so much property in Thailand without any paper (Title), that people occupy and construct houses on. So, I suppose the Government can't tax these properties as technically , they are owned by the Government.

There is so much property in Thailand without any paper (Title), that people occupy and construct houses on. So, I suppose the Government can't tax these properties as technically , they are owned by the Government.

charge rentcheesy.gif

Good move.

At the end of the day, it's the end user who pays i.e. the tax will be passed on to whoever owns, or rents the building which resides on the land.

Good move.

At the end of the day, it's the end user who pays i.e. the tax will be passed on to whoever owns, or rents the building which resides on the land.

'Wish more people realized that about taxes on businesses as well. Some actually think corporate taxes come out of the pockets of the "rich" owners & managers of the business, instead of the customers to whom it's all so easily & ubiquitously passed along! SO much naiveté when it comes to taxes.

Anything that both the Democrats AND PTP hate must be a good thing for the country - that goes for the new charter too.

Politicians are the cancerous sh#t of Thailand and should not be given ANY benefits of the doubt. I'd rather have a benevolent dictatorship like Singapore :)