extension of stay renewal for non-imm o requirements

wazzadg44

Do you need a rental agreement? I live in the family house which is in the GF's name. Don't pay any rent.

I went into immigration yesterday (fairly busy for the time of year) to check exactly what's needed this time round and pick up the relevant forms. In the past I have just taken my bank book along with copies of the previous three month's transactions. This has now changed and you need a proper bank statement as well as the letter plus a copy of the front page of the bank book if you are getting an extension of stay using the money in the bank method. According to the volunteer a copy of the book signed and stamped by the bank is also acceptable but I won't risk that!

The official docket on recycled paper that I got yesterday also states you need a copy of the front of an ATM card. Now that's another new one.

What is a proper bank statement. I have 5 bank accounts in Thailand and have never got a statement from any of them. I understand the letter stating the balance but what is the statement for? Has anyone else actually been asked for this or just you?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you need a rental agreement? I live in the family house which is in the GF's name. Don't pay any rent.

I went into immigration yesterday (fairly busy for the time of year) to check exactly what's needed this time round and pick up the relevant forms. In the past I have just taken my bank book along with copies of the previous three month's transactions. This has now changed and you need a proper bank statement as well as the letter plus a copy of the front page of the bank book if you are getting an extension of stay using the money in the bank method. According to the volunteer a copy of the book signed and stamped by the bank is also acceptable but I won't risk that!

The official docket on recycled paper that I got yesterday also states you need a copy of the front of an ATM card. Now that's another new one.

What is a proper bank statement. I have 5 bank accounts in Thailand and have never got a statement from any of them. I understand the letter stating the balance but what is the statement for? Has anyone else actually been asked for this or just you?

The letter and now also a bank statement from the bank is required, both signed and dated by the bank(not older than 7 days, also a copy of the ATM card associated with the account used for renewal!

The letter and now also a bank statement from the bank is required, both signed and dated by the bank(not older than 7 days, also a copy of the ATM card associated with the account used for renewal!

Yes, needed all that, too.

Yes, needed all that, too.

How do you get a bank statement? Ask the bank and they print one? How do you say bank statement in Thai?

How do you get a bank statement? Ask the bank and they print one? How do you say bank statement in Thai?

Just ask for a 3 month statement at the bank (in English) - they know what it is.

When this requirement first went into effect earlier this year, the banks didn't know about it. Assuming your branch holds accounts with a number of expats, they'll be aware that they need to give you both a letter and a statement that covers at least the past 3 months. There doesn't seem to be an extra charge for the statement - my bank still charges 100 baht for both.

Just ask for a 3 month statement at the bank (in English) - they know what it is.

When this requirement first went into effect earlier this year, the banks didn't know about it. Assuming your branch holds accounts with a number of expats, they'll be aware that they need to give you both a letter and a statement that covers at least the past 3 months. There doesn't seem to be an extra charge for the statement - my bank still charges 100 baht for both.

Mine, Kasikorn Patong, created a few hoops for us to jump through which required two trips, and then charged 200 baht.

Which reminds me, I've got to close the account. Any recommendations in Chalong?

Will the piece of paper now be accepted as proof of address when buying a car, Motorbike and obtaining a new driving license?

I doubt it. That would mean the immigration officer losing his 300 baht for issuing an address letter. All these departments talk to each other.

Mine, Kasikorn Patong, created a few hoops for us to jump through which required two trips, and then charged 200 baht.

Which reminds me, I've got to close the account. Any recommendations in Chalong?

I've been with Siam for many yrs, excellent!

Next year you might have to provide a DNA sample, maybe even take a picture of bank employees who are dealing with your paperwork, anything could happen!

Last year the officer was reluctant to accept our family photo because it didn't clearly show the house we live in! They make up the rules as they go!

Last year the officer was reluctant to accept our family photo because it didn't clearly show the house we live in! They make up the rules as they go!

We had the same experience, our family photo was not accepted, needed to include the street number, company name, our office equipment. As I have a WP I can't go the 400,000 baht in bank marriage route. Have to show income, tax paid, accounts, and many other documents. Never the same requirements the next year.

We had the same experience, our family photo was not accepted, needed to include the street number, company name, our office equipment. As I have a WP I can't go the 400,000 baht in bank marriage route. Have to show income, tax paid, accounts, and many other documents. Never the same requirements the next year.

You're married and can't go the 'marriage route'? That doesn't sound right at all! Several years ago, we were told it was desirable for me to be working when doing the annual extension. Like I say, they make the rules up as they go along - it's their prerogative!

You're married and can't go the 'marriage route'? That doesn't sound right at all! Several years ago, we were told it was desirable for me to be working when doing the annual extension. Like I say, they make the rules up as they go along - it's their prerogative!

He is doing 'the marriage route', but not with 400 k but with work permit. And that means taxes have to be paid etc.

I am doing the same, and nothing has changed for years already.

He is doing 'the marriage route', but not with 400 k but with work permit. And that means taxes have to be paid etc.

Maybe the case, but it's certainly not correct. Show me a document that says you can't renew with 400k bank deposit if married to a Thai and working. Any will do...

Maybe the case, but it's certainly not correct. Show me a document that says you can't renew with 400k bank deposit if married to a Thai and working. Any will do...

It is very correct. As for showing a regulation about marriage extension applicant with WP must show at least 40,000 baht/month income - I just follow what the officer tells me. I can't exactly remember when this changed from showing 400,000 baht in bank to showing income, I would guess about 5 or 6 years ago. Prior to that I showed 400,000 baht in the bank. Believe me, this income route makes a lot more work for the officer, lots more paperwork, if the officer could make it easy for himself - he would.

It is very correct. As for showing a regulation about marriage extension applicant with WP must show at least 40,000 baht/month income - I just follow what the officer tells me. I can't exactly remember when this changed from showing 400,000 baht in bank to showing income, I would guess about 5 or 6 years ago. Prior to that I showed 400,000 baht in the bank. Believe me, this income route makes a lot more work for the officer, lots more paperwork, if the officer could make it easy for himself - he woul.

'I just follow what the officer tells me' says it all, really! What if your business income showed 39,999.75 baht a month and you had 400k in the bank?

'I just follow what the officer tells me' says it all, really! What if your business income showed 39,999.75 baht a month and you had 400k in the bank?

Best of luck to you trying to override an officer's decision. As it happens I did read the changed rule, I just can't find the rule right now. And to answer your question, Immigration do not even look for money in bank/bank letter. It's all about income, proved by tax paid. And to answer you question - no tax paid on 40,000 baht/mont (in my case, maybe more depending on nationality) then application rejected.

Best of luck to you trying to override an officer's decision. As it happens I did read the changed rule, I just can't find the rule right now. And to answer your question, Immigration do not even look for money in bank/bank letter. It's all about income, proved by tax paid. And to answer you question - no tax paid on 40,000 baht/mont (in my case, maybe more depending on nationality) then application rejected.

Doesn't make a lot of sense, does it? If your business has a bad year, you can't run, it or stay with your Thai wife - regardless of how much you have in the bank!

Strangely enough, the same bank & branch didn't charge me anything extra for the statement 2 1/2 months ago. But then, I had to return to the bank and get the statement after Immigration refused to accept only the letter and bank book copies. At that time, K-bank didn't know that Immigration now requires a 3 month statement.

Doubly strange was that Immigration then required the bank book copies after I returned and presented the bank statement.

I'm pretty sure that the Immigration Officers just make up the rules depending upon their mood that day.

<snip>

I'm pretty sure that the Immigration Officers just make up the rules depending upon their mood that day.

Exactly - I have noticed that each year I have applied for my marriage extension, over 16 years now. So 16 times I have had experience. I remember one year way back when retirement was only 400,000 baht in bank, and I was applying for a marriage extension (back then on 200,000 baht in bank) and he noticed I had more than the 400,000 baht in the bank so he suggested I go the retirement route to save him all the extra work of marriage papere, copies to go to Bangkok for approval, etc. He did not care that I had a WP, so I had a retirement extension for quite a few years until one year an officer noticed I had a WP and refused the retirement application. So back to the marriage route after that. I just go with the flow each year.

Strangely enough, the same bank & branch didn't charge me anything extra for the statement 2 1/2 months ago. But then, I had to return to the bank and get the statement after Immigration refused to accept only the letter and bank book copies. At that time, K-bank didn't know that Immigration now requires a 3 month statement.

Doubly strange was that Immigration then required the bank book copies after I returned and presented the bank statement.

It's not so much a "3 month statement" as "statements that cover the last 3 months".

My bank printed off 3 pages of statements which showed every transaction for the previous 3 1/2 months. Each page was then stamped and initialled. Plus they printed off the usual "Balance" letter, stamped and initialled. Amazingly, only 100 baht for the lot. biggrin.png

Did my extension yesterday. They opened the door at 8:30 and about 10 of us were waiting. I was processed and and had paid my 1900B in about 20 minutes, then told to come back at 2:30 to collect my passport. When I returned I asked the volunteer what is the process for collecting my passport and he told me to sit down and they would call my name. I waited and watched while they brought out passports to people all the while keeping an eye out for mine. After about 30 minutes I saw a passport with its paperwork get set aside from a stack an officer was processing that looked like it could be mine. After another half hour at 3:30 my curiosity got the the better of me. I was starting to worry there was a problem. I walked over looked at the passport to see if it might be mine. I didn't touch it or cross the partition line. And an officer came up to me and said "what you want". I just said that I was looking to see if that was mine. He told me quite sternly go sit down we call you. By 4:00 there was only me and one other guy waiting. And most the staff were joking around. A couple girls came over. She says "what you want". I replied that I was told to come back at 2:30 and was waiting for my passport. She asked for my receipt and took it to another girl who brought my passport. I was told next time to show my receipt. I said I asked the volunteer and he told me to sit down and wait and the other officer just got mad and told me to sit down and did what I was told. I asked if I could get a re-entry permit, she smiles and said yes. I said here or downstairs, she said downstairs. I ask if they are open, she says yes. I go down the doors are locked and the people inside wave me away.

So when they tell you guys to go and come back pull out your receipt and don't waste an hour and a half like I did. There are much better places to be.

Wow, you was given a receipt for your passport which you decided not to show because the volunteer did not mention it but told you to sit down, what is a receipt for?

You did not show your receipt so no one knew you were there except for the volunteer who most likely forgot you seconds after he spoke to you!

@ Badrabbit

I've been in Thailand 12 years and have never had to show a receipt before and was not told to show my receipt this time. Also, I've never been told to return later either. The volunteers are the ones we have to go through now for any kind of service now. I asked him what I was supposed to do and took his word for it. I posted this in just to try to help others that are doing their extension.

Okay, a receipt is given in exchange for something that has been purchased or in this case for something needing to be collected, if it was me I would have used common sense and shown the receipt, everyone is different!

@ Badrabbit

I've been in Thailand 12 years and have never had to show a receipt before and was not told to show my receipt this time. Also, I've never been told to return later either. The volunteers are the ones we have to go through now for any kind of service now. I asked him what I was supposed to do and took his word for it. I posted this in just to try to help others that are doing their extension.

You have my sympathies as there are no detailed instructions. I wish I'd posted the details below which I emailed to friend of mine so he knew what to do:

This is what happened to me:

I got there 8:20. When doors opened, I queued to see the volunteer at the desk nearest to the door.

He gave me a number (#5 - because I was early) after checking my paperwork.

I then waited 10 minutes for number 5 to be called to see the girl sitting next to him.

I gave her my paperwork and she typed stuff into the computer and gave me a new 90 day report.

That took about 5 minutes.

I then waited a minute or two to be called to go to the desk next to and facing her, where the guy scrutinised all the paperwork.

Eventually he asked for 1,900 baht. He kept all the paperwork and passport. No receipt at that time.

Then I was told to sit near the girl who takes the photos. She was at the extreme right desk.

She called me after 15 minutes, took my photo and gave me the 1,900 baht receipt.

On the receipt was a "Collection Passport" stamp, with the collection date stamped in red.

The date was the same day because I went in the morning.

The stamp had two collection times:

10:30 am - box not checked

2:30 pm - box checked.

When I went to collect at 2:30pm, I went to the girl who took the photo and waved the receipt at her.

She took it and sent someone else to find my passport. Took about 20 minutes to get it, probably because

I was early and the passports hadn't arrived from somewhere else.

Hope this helps.

• 10 months later...

Here's the info sheet being handed out by the volunteers the spells out the documentation required for extension renewals:

attachicon.gifRetirement Renewal Docs.jpg

The daft things is, he said quite clearly that 3 months of Bank Statements are required if you are showing 800,000 in the bank, and yet this handout doesn't say that.

Also, my mate got a new 90 day date and form stapled in his passport after he went for an extension. So the bit at the end of this form isn't quite right either.

I think I'll go and pester the volunteers again.

PS. It was very crowded today upstairs at 2:30.

PPS. What's this "Copy face side of ATM card" ? Jesus Wept. I think I'll tell him that I don't have one - I just go to the bank and withdraw money. That's exactly what my mate does.

Just to confirm what I did this year: I used my SCB "Fixed Deposit" passbook which has 800,000 in it and has no ATM card, and all was accepted.

A friend of mine does the same - bank passbook + bank letter, but no ATM copy.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's the info sheet being handed out by the volunteers the spells out the documentation required for extension renewals:

attachicon.gifRetirement Renewal Docs.jpg

The daft things is, he said quite clearly that 3 months of Bank Statements are required if you are showing 800,000 in the bank, and yet this handout doesn't say that.

Also, my mate got a new 90 day date and form stapled in his passport after he went for an extension. So the bit at the end of this form isn't quite right either.

I think I'll go and pester the volunteers again.

PS. It was very crowded today upstairs at 2:30.

PPS. What's this "Copy face side of ATM card" ? Jesus Wept. I think I'll tell him that I don't have one - I just go to the bank and withdraw money. That's exactly what my mate does.

I know this post is over a year old but I just noticed where it says "letter from embassy (max 30 days)".

That is a mistake right? From my experience the letter is good for 6 months.

The letter I have from my embassy will be almost 4 months old when I apply for my retirement extension.

Archived