Thai docs treatment of gout

I used to be a chronic gout sufferer.

I have had 200+ gout attacks. Serious.

In the US, the common dosage for colchicine is .6 per dose, taken just prior and/or during an attack.

US and Thai doctors always put me on NSAID, pain killers, and colchicine. The bandaid, but not the prevention.

I solved my gout (or, keep it away) by:

*1/2 of a teaspoon of baking soda in 4 oz. water in the AM right after getting up, and right before bed - this alkalizes my blood as I think the acidity was causing it.

a couple of years ago, I replaced the 1/2 teaspoon in 4 oz. water with a whole, small, lime. cut it and squeeze the lime juice in 6-8 oz. of water in the AM. This also alkalized the blood.

About 3-4 years after I did the baking soda in water method, I added 150 MG of Allopurinol per day just to be careful.

Now, I'm gout free and eat and drink anything I want.

Best of luck to fellow gout sufferers and whatever works for you, try it out.

Yes there is citric acid in limes, lemons, and oranges but there is also a lot of other minerals that are alkiline. For what ever reason when all of these combinations hit the stomach it will alkalize the body

My pennies worth, suffered for years with Uric acid (Gout) tried tart cherries and various supplements and gout cures. At end of day, watch the diet, people react differerantly to food triggers, cutting down the beers helps a lot (They say it's the yeast in beer thats the main trigger) I know if you suffer from Gout you read up on it as we all know the bloody pain it gives when a bad attack comes with a vegance. I ended up going to see a Rhumatologist (this was in the UK) as I am sure my Doc did not really have much clue about Gout. After a few months seeing the Rhumatologist he did get my gout under control - regular blood tests x 3 mths to map out the uric acid levels over time during which he got me to percivere with Allopunirol. I take 1 x 300mg each morning, for first few months got attacks (he told me it would take up to 3-6 months to get into my system, he was right. if an attack came, it was treated with 3 x 0.5mg Cholchicine (1 x morning/noon/night) and 2 x 500mg Naproxcin first hit, then 1 x 500mg until gout subsided twice per day, also he told me when attack had gone to continue with the cholchcine for further 5 days afterwards at 1x 0.5mg twice per day. I very rarley get an attack now, blood tests are now also every 6 months and uric acid level is ok.

If i do go out and have a few beers (occasionally) I always keep a watch day or two after and the slightest sign do as above, but very rare now.

Also some of the 'healthy' foods are not good for someone who suffers with gout e.g Spinach is a known gout triGGer, mushrooms 9which I love and luckily seem ok with me? read up and try find which foods affect you, as said we all react differant to differant foods... a matter of getting the balance right and loosing a few pounds helps too.

Nothing funny about Gout - for sure Brothers!

Edited by Lokie

I used to get gout attacks all the time. Knees, ball of foot, top of foot, toe, you name it. 300 MG Allopurinol is all you need each day. It was mentioned above that it is not a quick cure, it takes weeks, if not a couple of months to get your system leveled out, but once it is, you won't have another problem that a colchicine or 2 won't solve. When you first start taking Allopurinol, it can trigger attacks. Colchicine will solve it. Accoxia was a help also, but doctors are split on taking that for some reason. I eat like an idiot, whatever I want, I drink like a fish, but I make sure I hydrate with glasses of water also. Beer drinkers more apt for attacks, I drink whisky.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have just tried all the natural remedies, lime juice/baking soda/apple cider vinegar/ and eating healthy. I have always exercised and am the correct weight. Despite all this my uric acid level did not shift even a decimal in 2 months. I just experienced the worst attack of my life and saw my DR, allupurinol 300mg and colchicine every morning for a month, then check levels again.

I asked about allupurinol and taking it for the rest of my life, she said its quite possible once your levels are brought down that if you stop taking it it, you may be gout free for a couple of years, but deep down the problem exists and will come back as its not curable. Therefore I am quite skeptical about all these home remedies replacing allupruirnol haviong tried most of them already.

Anyway, good luck to you all whatever you are taking.

After many years of occasional gout attacks, I have been trying an herbal formula called gout clear. It does seem to be working, as I have cut my daily dose of allopurinol in half, and my uric acid levels are still falling. So far, I am impressed. It does make sense to me that powerful herbs could affect the ability of the body to process purides. I truly hate the idea of taking the gout meds for rest of my life, and that has prompted this recent rethink of the treatment.

Allopurinol seems to work. I use to get severe gout. I remember one christmas day about 8 years ago working in Africa, I got in my left ankle then my right ankle and it was so painful I couldn't walk .... lasted 2 - 3 days

Use to get it in my knee & ankles mostly and sometimes big toe .... Bicarbonate soda with water and hit it with allopurinol 900mg ...

I use to suffer bad but ... I haven't had it now for 6 months. Not sure why ... but I drink more water now than before.

I have just tried all the natural remedies, lime juice/baking soda/apple cider vinegar/ and eating healthy. I have always exercised and am the correct weight. Despite all this my uric acid level did not shift even a decimal in 2 months. I just experienced the worst attack of my life and saw my DR, allupurinol 300mg and colchicine every morning for a month, then check levels again.

I asked about allupurinol and taking it for the rest of my life, she said its quite possible once your levels are brought down that if you stop taking it it, you may be gout free for a couple of years, but deep down the problem exists and will come back as its not curable. Therefore I am quite skeptical about all these home remedies replacing allupruirnol haviong tried most of them already.

Anyway, good luck to you all whatever you are taking.

Good to know

I also have stabilized somewhat,although im sure what you say is right in that it never goes away.

Lately, on the reccomendation of a pharmacist, i have tried NEOTICA. I take the allupurnol as usual but dont take either daily, preferring to take either, once per 3 days. Seems to be working so far as have not changed diet or drinking habits

Edited by ozzieovaseas

• 1 year later...

I get an attack every 9-12 months. Usually 2+1+1 Colchicine 6mg gets it solved. 

Just went to the pharmacy and tried to fill up my emergency stash... Guess what, no longer available?  Anybody any suggestions where to get it from? Even mail order would be OK. 

17 hours ago, StefanBBK said:

I get an attack every 9-12 months. Usually 2+1+1 Colchicine 6mg gets it solved. 

Just went to the pharmacy and tried to fill up my emergency stash... Guess what, no longer available?  Anybody any suggestions where to get it from? Even mail order would be OK. 

You might try the large Pharmacy just past Soi 4, Sukhumvit - next door to Bully's Pub. They have the largest stock of a huge range of medicines etc. I have found in Thailand. Staff speak excellent English too.

Patrick

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 5/30/2015 at 12:41 PM, spidermike007 said:

I have been trying an herbal formula called gout clear. It does seem to be working

Where in Thailand can you buy this , thanks. 

On 3/13/2015 at 9:04 PM, Wrong Turn said:

The term "alkalize" is a generic term.

No it's not.  It means to reduce the acidity of an aqueous solution.

Many things alkalize the blood; many things cause acidity - within a narrow range.

Metabolic acidosis and alkalosis are serious, life threatening conditions.  Cell walls and proteins are sensitive to the pH levels in your blood.  Cell walls break down and proteins become twisted, causing enzymes and ion channels to break down.

Our bodies do acid-base homeostasis to tightly maintain serum pH levels between 7.35 and 7.45.   If your serum pH drops much below 7.35, you'll start breathing deeply to excrete the excess CO2 and adjust the levels of dissolved carbonates in your blood.

654380463_acidalkalinepH.jpg.4f16ad2e38054b4d966e49ff16cf9e53.jpg

You can't manually adjust your serum pH levels.  Your kidneys and lungs just won't let you do it.  Go ahead and try it: breathe deeply and as fast as you can to get rid of excess CO2, thereby alkalizing your blood.  Your brain stem will wonder what the hell you're doing and knock you unconscious in an effort to get back to a normal rate of breathing.

Edited by attrayant

16 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

Had terrible gout for years,allupirinol messed up my kidneys, now every morning i have a glass of water with a tablespoonfull of apple cider vinegar,no more gout

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

More likely your kidneys caused the gout - allopurinol often helps prevent or lessen damage to kidneys is current thinking.  

Most commonly, kidney disease can cause gout. However, gout may also lead tokidney disease. Since uric acid is filtered through the kidneys, the two diseasesare related. Learn more about gout and kidney disease.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2018 at 11:10 PM, lopburi3 said:

More likely your kidneys caused the gout - allopurinol often helps prevent or lessen damage to kidneys is current thinking.  

That's possible, but in my case Allopurinol did mess with my kidney and liver function tests.  My doctor monitored a bunch of blood level statistics while we searched for the best treatment for my chronic gout.

While my kidney function numbers only slightly elevated with Allopurinol, the liver function numbers went up quite quickly and quite high.  My AST went from 17 (normal is 0-40) to 56, and my ALT went from 28 (normal is 0-40) to 132 (!).  She immediately took me off Allopurinol, and put me on another treatment drug which also elevated my liver/kidney numbers, but not quite so bad.  We ended up on Sulfin which I've been taking for over a year now with reasonable kidney/liver function test results.

It's all a matter of YMMV, I think.

5 hours ago, wpcoe said:

It's all a matter of YMMV, I think.

That is very true when talking about drugs and reactions - we all react a bit differently - which is why we have various medications and doctors I guess.  If 100% we could use a map/book/computer lookup.  We don't live in bubbles and have the same friends and eat the same food so our reactions can't really be expected to always be the same. 

Recall being asked at employment interview by psychiatrist what I through about his profession and (forgot to bite tongue) said suspected many were crazy or likely going to be as human brain just too complex to box as no two react exactly the same.  (Our bodies are much the same).  Still got the job.