Indonesian women, children held in Turkey 'heading to join IS'

webfact

Indonesian women, children held in Turkey 'heading to join IS'

JAKARTA (AFP) - Sixteen Indonesians, mostly women and children, have been arrested in Turkey attempting to cross into Syria to join the Islamic State (IS) group, a minister said, the latest case of Indonesians heading to battlegrounds in the Middle East.

The 11 children, four women and one man from the world’s most populous Muslim-majority country were detained in the Turkish border town of Gaziantep. Officials did not say when they were arrested.

"We are still investigating... but it is clear that they wanted to join (IS) to have a better life in accordance with Islamic sharia laws," Security Minister Tedjo Edhy Purdijatno told reporters late Thursday.

Foreign Minister Retno Marsudi said that a team was being dispatched to Turkey to work with authorities after the arrests.

Officials had previously revealed that a different group of 16 Indonesians went missing last month after joining a tour group to Turkey, and were also believed to be attempting to reach Syria.

Foreign nationals from around the world have been flocking to join the IS jihadists, who control vast swathes of territory in Iraq and Syria, sparking alarm about the potential for radical fighters to return and launch attacks in their homelands.

The case of three British teenage girls crossing into Syria to join IS has caused consternation in Britain, while in Australia foreign minister Julie Bishop has warned young girls looking to become "jihadi brides" that IS is no "romantic adventure".

Fears are also growing in Indonesia, which has long struggled with Islamic militancy -- the country’s counter-terror chief saying that more than 500 Indonesians are believed to have gone to fight with IS.

Jakarta has already banned support for IS jihadists, although experts have called on authorities to take further steps to stop the flow of fighters.

Indonesia has waged a crackdown on terror groups over the past decade following attacks on Western targets, including the 2002 Bali bombings, that killed 202 people -- a campaign that has been credited with weakening key networks.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Indonesian-women-children-held-in-Turkey-heading-t-30255937.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-03-13

I wonder how they define children, are they children of the women or teenagers who have decided they want to join and kill someone ?

If the former then the women deserve to be shot for taking kids into that dangerous place.

The ISIS attraction is growing globally.....people must be stopped on their ways to join this group of terrorists.........

No-one wants Asia or SE Asia becoming infiltrated with this mad idealism.........they have to be stopped!

The ISIS attraction is growing globally.....people must be stopped on their ways to join this group of terrorists.........

No-one wants Asia or SE Asia becoming infiltrated with this mad idealism.........they have to be stopped!

The attraction is growing globally because it is a global calling. A worldwide Caliphate being the ultimate goal.

IMO they must NOT be stopped from going to join this group. They should certainly be stopped trying to return.

I take it you do not read the news much. Asia and SE Asia are already infested with this mad idealism.

From the OP.

Fears are also growing in Indonesia, which has long struggled with Islamic militancy -- the country’s counter-terror chief saying that more than 500 Indonesians are believed to have gone to fight with IS

Indonesia has waged a crackdown on terror groups over the past decade following attacks on Western targets

And let us not forget the Southern Provinces of Thailand or China.

• Like 1

The attraction is growing globally because it is a global calling. A worldwide Caliphate being the ultimate goal.

IMO they must NOT be stopped from going to join this group. They should certainly be stopped trying to return.

I take it you do not read the news much. Asia and SE Asia are already infested with this mad idealism.

From the OP.
Fears are also growing in Indonesia, which has long struggled with Islamic militancy -- the country’s counter-terror chief saying that more than 500 Indonesians are believed to have gone to fight with IS
Indonesia has waged a crackdown on terror groups over the past decade following attacks on Western targets

Indeed this is not a job for social services in any Country, it's a job for airlines to make available as many one way tickets as demand dictates. Returning planes can be filled with something useful, such as figs, dates or pistachio nuts.

Edited by Scott
  • Like 1

... In fact lets hope all the Muslim around the world take that

long, long trip. Yes ISIS will take care of all. And as they mass in great numbers, asses pointed to the sky, five B-52 bombers

drop their loads of 500 lb. bombs in a 50 mile radius to insure Sharia law has been fulfilled. Amen!

Blind religious bigotry....

From the OP.

I heard on one of the Thai radio stations that there are no fighters from Thailand in ISIS. The report came straight from the Thai gov't.

From the OP.

^^ Just a simple question : Are Southern Provinces of Thailand and/or China mainland on topic ?

OP refers to Indonesian citizens...

Edited by Scott

I wonder how they define children, are they children of the women or teenagers who have decided they want to join and kill someone ?

If the former then the women deserve to be shot for taking kids into that dangerous place.

Considering it is 1 man 4 women and 11 children. I would suspect it is all one family. Men can have 4 wives under Sharia law. That makes me believe there is one idiot leader and 15 followers.

• Like 1

Didn't you know, ISIS love kids, they love the little virgins, Just like their prophet

• Like 2

I heard on one of the Thai radio stations that there are no fighters from Thailand in ISIS. The report came straight from the Thai gov't.

Not sure what your point is.

There was no inference in my post that there was any Thai's fighting with ISIS.

However, IMO there is no Government that can categorically state that none of its Citizens are fighting with ISIS.

• Like 1

From the OP.

^^ Just a simple question : Are Southern Provinces of Thailand and/or China mainland on topic ?

Simple answer to a simple question.

If you have trouble understanding what has been posted. Perhaps it is better to refrain from posting until you understand what has been posted.

And just for clarification. If my post had been off topic. I am sure it would have been deleted.

Edited by JockPieandBeans

From the OP.

nope all tidely tucked up in the south of thailand. Next stop,, syria iraq ?? nah,, try Bangkok.:blink:

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

From the OP.

Simple answer to a simple question.

If you have trouble understanding what has been posted. Perhaps it is better to refrain from posting until you understand what has been posted.

And just for clarification. If my post had been off topic. I am sure it would have been deleted.

OP doesn't refer to Thailand and China. Read OP again...

Furthermore it's strange to hear on TV : 'Asia and SE Asia are already infested with this mad idealism'

Do you talk about Islam or Salafism ?

Scott pointed out that Thai governement confirmed that Thailand has no followers of ISIS...what about the other countries.

I would be surprised to hear about ISIS followers in Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos, and many others...

Or is this usual fear mongering...
Edited by Scott

Furthermore it's strange to hear on TV : 'Asia and SE Asia are already infested with this mad idealism'

Scott pointed out that Thai governement confirmed that Thailand has no followers of ISIS...what about the other countries.

I would be surprised to hear about ISIS followers in Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos, and many others...

Or is this usual fear mongering...like usual...

I understand that this may be difficult for you to comprehend.

I have no reason to re-read the OP. My response was to post No 5, not the OP.

Why would it be strange to hear on TV that Asia and SE Asia are infested with this mad idealism. Can you not read about Pakistan, China and the Southern Provinces of Thailand. If not, you can always try Indonesia. From the OP

Fears are also growing in Indonesia, which has long struggled with Islamic militancy -- the country’s counter-terror chief saying that more than 500 Indonesians are believed to have gone to fight with IS.

Jakarta has already banned support for IS jihadists, although experts have called on authorities to take further steps to stop the flow of fighters.

I have highlighted the relevant parts to make it easier for you to understand. Indonesia has taken these steps because it believes it has a problem with ISLAMIC Militants. So from the OP, that you keep referring to, It is definitely Islamic Militancy.

See my response to Scott at post 17.

If you want to hear about ISIS followers in Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos, and many others then I suggest that you open a new thread and stop trying to derail this one.

You have a good day now.

Why would it be strange to hear on TV that Asia and SE Asia are infested with this mad idealism. Can you not read about Pakistan, China and the Southern Provinces of Thailand. If not, you can always try Indonesia. From the OP

I have highlighted the relevant parts to make it easier for you to understand. Indonesia has taken these steps because it believes it has a problem with ISLAMIC Militants. So from the OP, that you keep referring to, It is definitely Islamic Militancy.

If you want to hear about ISIS followers in Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos, and many others then I suggest that you open a new thread and stop trying to derail this one.

You have a good day now.

^^

Nice U-turn.

Indonesian women and children went to Turkey to join IS in Syria to get better life conditions. They're not members of any Indonesian militant group.

Furthermore Indonesian radical Islamic militant actions in Indonesia started long before creation of IS. Some of them joined IS.

There's a huge difference between both, and has nothing to do with other countries in Asia and SE Asia not or not yet involved with IS conflict.

Some groups or individuals go fight in Syria/Iraq and are not always linked to IS or Al Qaeda...

Some others just go for marriage...and/or money...

Hope this helps to clarify the OP.

Edited by Thorgal

You have a good day now.

^^

Nice U-turn.

Indonesian women and children went to Turkey to join IS in Syria to get better life conditions. They're not members of any Indonesian militant group.

Furthermore Indonesian radical Islamic militant actions in Indonesia started long before creation of IS. Some of them joined IS.

There's a huge difference between both, and has nothing to do with other countries in Asia and SE Asia not or not yet involved with IS conflict.

Some groups or individuals go fight in Syria/Iraq and are not always linked to IS or Al Qaeda...

No U-Turn on my behalf.

A better life in Syria rather than Indonesia ? Are you for real. I guess you also have sworn statements from everyone of them stating that they were not members of any Militant Group ?

No ?

Thought not. Just more apologist nonsense.

There was no need to try and clarify the OP. I can read and comprehend. Something that seems to have escaped you.

"Tedjo said the government could not confirm whether joining the militant group was the motive of their travel but the women had said that they were going to Syria to meet their husbands".

“There is no regulation to prevent [indonesians] from exiting the country [to join IS or any radical groups]."

“Some join the rebel group to work there because of a promise of high salaries while others really want to join the [iS] fight,”

http://m.thejakartapost.com/news/2015/03/13/11-minors-among-latest-indonesian-is-suspects.html

Sounds all apologist nonsense from Indonesian officials too !

Edited by Thorgal

So, they went to Iraq and Syria on holiday?

At a very, very minimum, they should be put on a terrorist watch list and prevented from ever getting on an airplane.

They can swim back to Indonesia when they are done 'working'.

Jakarta has already banned support for IS jihadists

, although experts have called on authorities to take further steps to stop the flow of fighters.

You have a good day now.

^^

Nice U-turn.

No U-Turn on my behalf.

A better life in Syria rather than Indonesia ? Are you for real. I guess you also have sworn statements from everyone of them stating that they were not members of any Militant Group ?

No ?

Thought not. Just more apologist nonsense.

There was no need to try and clarify the OP. I can read and comprehend. Something that seems to have escaped you.

heard an interview on the bbc with a syrian journo Either on global news or crossing continents or something of the type, and it v much sounded like 'imported' wives we're treated well, given allowances, decent accomodation. clothes, he reckoned. some even were given cars. made it sound like they were trophy wives !!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I sure do hope they find happiness in Syria under Sharia Law. In fact lets hope all the Muslim around the world take that

long, long trip. Yes ISIS will take care of all. And as they mass in great numbers, asses pointed to the sky, five B-52 bombers

drop their loads of 500 lb. bombs in a 50 mile radius to insure Sharia law has been fulfilled. Amen!

Muslim clerics are declaring that ISIS are no longer Muslims. Yet ISIS members keep spouting Muslim talk. So who to believe?

If it waddles and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck.

Seriously though: any person, male/female,child, who goes to join ISIS will only encounter abject misery - and probably an untimely death.

I can never understand the human mind.

That's the gist of it. The mind can love something one minute, and then hate it a second later. It can switch allegiances as quick as a flickering neon lamp. One solution: Mass frontal lobotomies for all radical Muslims. But then we'd have to herd and feed them, much like goats. Are we ready to arrange for oatmeal breakfast for 15 million people each morning?

Clearly, Muslims leaving to join ISIS for a life under literal sharia is a problem for many reasons and I for one would like to see their passports cancelled.

However, what about people going to join the Kurds? How do you come up with a law which differentiates one case from another?