Suvarnabhumi voted 47th among world’s best 50 airports

I am not a frequent user of Swampy but find it OK in most respects.

It's difficult to know how seriously to take such a survey if I'm anything to go by. I really dislike all airports in the sense that you are told to do this, do that, show this show that, go hear, go there, etc etc. The whole scenario and experience of travelling by air stresses a lot of people, particularly if they had a long journey to the airport or have to change planes etc. Some medical guru explained it was the lack of having any personal control that was the cause.

All in all, I find Swampy OK as I said, It's certainly much better than my experiences at Heathrow.thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7pbAk

Il tell you everything Beats LAX, a National Disgrace, nonstop construction , should be Leveled or Condemned...

I was through the Bradley International Terminal last month. I don't know about the other terminals, but the construction at that terminal was complete and it actually looked rather nice. The new Star Alliance lounge is very nice indeed, particularly the outside part, which has a bar with gas burners along the tables and a nice view of the runway.
. It's the other Domestic terminals that are a Disgrace...what about Haneda, I only Transit through there, but lack of selection for food, maybe itsGreat on the other side of Immigration, I think I ended up eating a Chili Dog on Xmas eve, I might add Chili Dog was Great, it had some snap to it, Bradley Terminal is not to bad, I used to practically live in Cathay Pacific 1st class lounge, I'm an on-board courier , so I live in airports, any input on Haneda, maybe I'm missing something, I d rather fly through Narita...thx

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thailand still dreaming of becoming #1 in something...anything

Thailand is Number one in complaining expats alt=tongue.png> no where in the world have I seen a more disgruntled bunch, if only they could leave, go some place else,

any place! but these dastardly Thais with their 47th ranking airports and cracked runways........... perhaps if they had better airports they would all leave alt=laugh.png>

This. I guess there are a lot of very happy expats in Thailand but it does seem that large numbers hate the place and reluctantly stay here for the sun and the s*x. Riles the heck out of me but then I guess they would complain just as much back home.....

I get the impression that when these constant Thai bashers left their own country their towns had street parties in celebration. Everyone had cynical moments but to persistently complain about a nation that THEY CHOOSE to live in I'll never understand. Maybe the should try Syria, I hear it's lovely this time of year.

WHY NOT complain if there is something to complain about.

Because those who complain complain about everything in Thailand, I'm not a big fan of Suvarnabhumi airport mainly due to having a suitcase broken into and the unfriendly staff however if you look at the complaining comments none say why they mock the airport they just bash Thailand for bashing Thailand sake....my other complaint is Suvarnabhumi allowing these types of obnoxious cynical hypocrites through.

And Heathrow above Schipol. Who would have thought it?

Not anyone who uses the places, unless of course you live in SE England.

Heathrow has actually been getting better over the years...

It used to be that I never went through without finding at least one broken travelator - and I mean it was so noticeable that I started taking note - it was about 6 years without a fully working set of travelators on my assorted trips through mainly terminal 3.

Terminal 5 and the new Terminal 2 are far nicer than what they replaced. - and Terminal 3 has had a few upgrades. (Terminal 4 was still pretty naff last time I used it - but that was a while ago).

I remember the opening fanfare of Suvarnabhumi,,,a few years back

and i still consider it a good airport, in contrast i wonder where the

Guangzhou airport slots in, whenever i do a flight search China Air

are always the cheapest and there must be a reason for that, they

always connect at Guangzhou, i hope never to use them.

I've always believed that an airport was a place to catch an airplane, and/or arrive in an airplane. I really don't understand all this rating nonsense - it's not a 5star resort. The airport has never in any way been the purpose of my trip, nor the end point of my trip. I rate airports on whether they have achieved their purpose -- so far Suvarnabhumi has never failed to get me on the airplane or off the airplane -- task accomplished -- rating 100%

I just looked at the Skytrax survey . In 47th place it has "Bangkok Airport" . It does not say if this refers to Swampy or Don Mueang or is a combination score for both. I wonder how many of the Skytrax respondents were rating "Bangkok Airport" ?

I've always believed that an airport was a place to catch an airplane, and/or arrive in an airplane. I really don't understand all this rating nonsense - it's not a 5star resort. The airport has never in any way been the purpose of my trip, nor the end point of my trip. I rate airports on whether they have achieved their purpose -- so far Suvarnabhumi has never failed to get me on the airplane or off the airplane -- task accomplished -- rating 100%

Sure for the most part,

but airports have other functions also.

For instance how easy it is to get to, how pleasant it is to wait for people arriving,amenities while waiting for a flight, How easy it is to transfer to connecting flight, clearing customs, etc

Suvarnabhumi ,arguably, excels in all these IMO and as the report suggest in the opinion of other,

If I have one complain would be the name,

have never being ale to pronouns it correct, I think Thais name it such just to watch farangs trying to say it and have a laughlaugh.png

Nothing wrong with Suvarnabhumi.

The people that are running it is the problem.

If they could organize the immigration queues and take away the monopoly from Kings Power it would have been a very pleasant airport.

Some might say the same about the present Thai 'government'

These days only travel for pleasure- so if I have to sit around for a few hours- it's rather nice to be offered a glass of Pol Roger, a bit of smoked salmon or whatever which all adds to the travelling experience and the holiday.

Would agree not many delays from Swampy.

I cannot believe that Thailand does not have the undisputed title for the No1 city in the world for the multi faceted availability of Prostitutes. (Pattaya).

WOW 47 out of 50.

Thailand must be proud of itself?

whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

Actually 47 out of 550, per the OP. Wow!!

The result was based on more than 13 million surveys completed by 112 nationalities of airline customers between May and January, and included 550 airports worldwide.

But then, you knew that, didn't youwhistling.gif

• Like 1

If they could organize the immigration queues and take away the monopoly from Kings Power it would have been a very pleasant airport.

&lt;deleted&gt;....there are no immigraton queues at other airports. Can you decode the obscure kings power reference.

A questionable survey result, at best. Heathrow at eighth, for example: add a zero and that would still put it way above a realistic position.

Heathrow obviously is some sort of software typo glitch. I think it's officially 8th best airport in the UK.

I remember the opening fanfare of Suvarnabhumi,,,a few years back

and i still consider it a good airport, in contrast i wonder where the

Guangzhou airport slots in, whenever i do a flight search China Air

are always the cheapest and there must be a reason for that, they

always connect at Guangzhou, i hope never to use them.

. Air China, The Worst even the Chinese Hate that airline...I'd sooner go Aeroflot.

As a frequent traveler my attitude to all airports is to spend as little time in them as possible, I arrive normally as the checkin opens, get through passport control and hand baggage checks walking direct to my gate, no coffees no duty free...i just want to be through and out where ever it is,

My ratings would be based on how fast with the least hassle i can be in and out of any airport, then logical public transport to my final destination not sure what criteria sky tracks have but for me suv bkk falls short on this,

This airport was plagued by corruption from the word go and not so long back still having ongoing battles in the social media regardingwhistling.gif hmmm security problems, i have no real complaints as it is at the moment apart from the too and from transport on offer, wonder if these aspects come into the ratings?

<deleted>....there are no immigraton queues at other airports. Can you decode the obscure kings power reference.

King Power is the company with the monopoly on shops at BKK.

I like Swampy- as I have advised before use the meet and greet service- 1000 baht ( peanuts) never queue, porters to your car, buggy to bypass everyone - it's brilliant.

To step out into the heat ( not the same as Don Muang, where you were assailed by an intoxicating aroma of diesel , fish sauce and maybe durian) is coming home.

How on earth Heathrow got near the top? Terminal 5 is good- but use BA.

As someone else said, why on earth do some of you live here- it's all a bit of an adventure; Thailand throws up surprises and sometimes challenges. If you wish to live in a wonderful cocooned life of liveried door men , mini bars and gold plated taps - go to Dubai

Thailand is my home , warts and all- and I actually like Swampy.

I would tend to agree - If I had been polled I would have switched the places of Heathrow and Swampy.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I get the impression that when these constant Thai bashers left their own country their towns had street parties in celebration. Everyone had cynical moments but to persistently complain about a nation that THEY CHOOSE to live in I'll never understand. Maybe the should try Syria, I hear it's lovely this time of year.

Thailand is Number one in complaining expats alt=tongue.png> no where in the world have I seen a more disgruntled bunch, if only they could leave, go some place else,

any place! but these dastardly Thais with their 47th ranking airports and cracked runways........... perhaps if they had better airports they would all leave alt=laugh.png>

This. I guess there are a lot of very happy expats in Thailand but it does seem that large numbers hate the place and reluctantly stay here for the sun and the s*x. Riles the heck out of me but then I guess they would complain just as much back home.....

Because even your demented brain must realize that you are a guest here, . Don't know about you, but if I invited a guest to my home and he did nothing but complain about it and me - he would find out very quickly where the door is.

Because even your demented brain must realize that you are a guest here, . Don't know about you, but if I invited a guest to my home and he did nothing but complain about it and me - he would find out very quickly where the door is.

Just to put the record straight, nobody invited me to come here.

I came, and stayed, because I like it and I stay as non-immigrant on the terms set by Thai immigration.

Just like visiting your house, if I didn't like it I wouldn't stay - and, if I saw something worth complaining about I would complain.

Thai's do not respect kiss-a55es any more than anyone else.

Il tell you everything Beats LAX, a National Disgrace, nonstop construction , should be Leveled or Condemned...

Totally agree. One of the least appealing airports in the world. They have been working on that airport for a decade now. It is broken and it is ugly. It says something about Los Angeles. I myself like Swampy. I find it pleasant, airy, clean, and love the employee food court on the first level. 45 baht for fish soup, at an international airport? Hard to beat that.

Who was that aimed at?

A questionable survey result, at best. Heathrow at eighth, for example: add a zero and that would still put it way above a realistic position.

That's just your opinion - which you're perfectly entitled to. Just happens that all those people polled had different thoughts - and yours isn't of any significance as you weren't one of them.

Just because you think differently doesn't make the survey questionable.

Edited by Baerboxer