SURVEY: Do Avatars affect Your Opinion Of Posters?

Scott

Survey: Do Avatars Affects Your Opinion of members?  

233 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I disabled the avatars from displaying in my browser

a few of the animated ones were really annoying. Though gave me the idea to go out and find a controversial anigif for myself that reflects my misconception of tourorists.

Avatars have no affect on my opinion of posters.

But I always enjoy looking at a good avatar and some of them stick in my mind.

I do sometimes forget a user name but an interesting avatar can help me remember the poster.

You are getting old uncle Costas...

I question the use of my own avatar and how people may judge my comments based on it. It was just a sign I saw here in Pattaya, I think at the Floating Market, and thought it was cute. The only problem is I am sure that some people look at it and think I am pissing on all their ideas. Nothing like that is implied at all, because I am open to all positive responses. But, I do think weekly, maybe I should change it. Time will tell.....

Some avatars tell you a lot about the poster, some say nothing at all.

Some are annoying to look at, and some are impossible to figure out; either they have text that is unreadable or an image that has become imperceptible by being shrunk to 90px. There are also avatars that are so obscure that they have no impact whatsoever.

I admire some avatars, but I strongly dislike others and I do bring that negativity to my opinion of the member. Although I usually keep that to myself.

However, some of my favorite posters have awful avatars, so obviously I have the ability to get past it too.

Some avatars bordering on obscene are a worry! Often TW or step daughter will come into my study (the entry is from behind my desk chair) and see my monitor, whilst I'm logged on TV or similar, displaying a bouncing bare bum/boobs and thinking I'm hooked up to some dodgy web site.

As for mine and not to be hypocritical! Most anyone from Udon Thani will know this statue and the National Park it is located in. Been my avatar for some 10 years here.

Edited by bdenner

I don't even notice most avatars, but the one's with human faces and some with some animals occasionally influence my thoughts. Reading something written by Humphrey Bogart seems different from something from Al Bundy, for example, and there's one male (I think) with an avatar of a beautiful young woman who sometimes writes something from a definite male perspective that causes a double-take.

I've only seen posters of Avatar when the movie came out about five years ago, since then they have all been removed with newer movies. I'm waiting for the sequel coming out next year. I hope it will be another box office smash!

still got the steam trains by you I see

I disabled the avatars from displaying in my browser

a few of the animated ones were really annoying. Though gave me the idea to go out and find a controversial anigif for myself that reflects my misconception of tourorists.

What sort of avatar do you find annoying?

• Like 2

I have researched this and based on a very small trial on three websites, the answer is yes. I used an avatar of the Iranian president for a period of time which caused outrage and numerous negative comments about my posts, and indeed the mods on here made me delete it if I wished to keep on posting. I then used an avatar of a beautiful woman, which was very well received and there were few if any negative comments despite some of the posts being extremely left wing and humanist, a combination that usually drives the swivel-eyed, right wingers bonkers.

There should be a way to select more than one answer in the form.

Avatars influence me AND should be banned from the forum, imho.

facepalm.gif

maybe you should be forced to get an avatar...

this one?

A very deep thinker and an excellent choice.

Never had the time in 11 years to be bothered making one. An interesting avatar can be nice to remember someone .

There used to be some interesting Thai ones, which I see no more.

What affects my opinion more is the number of posts er day a poster makes. For example, I saw one guy with something like 20 posts a day and frankly most were inane.

Anyone with over 3000 pots I can say something about, unless they are a mod or admin etc

Likes are stupid and childish..

Edited by Johnniey
  • Like 1

Never had the time in 11 years to be bothered making one. An interesting avatar can be nice to remember someone .

What affects my opinion more is the number of posts er day a poster makes. For example, I saw one guy with something like 20 posts a day and frankly most were inane.

Anyone with over 3000 pots I can say something about, unless they are a mod or admin etc

Why would the number of posts of a member per day worry you..?

You ain't got time to fit an avatar yet you count folks posts...........rolleyes.gif

He also has time to post about not having time, how does that work?

I can agree or disagree with someone's position independent of how I feel about them, their race, their gender, their lifestyle, their intellect, their personality or their avatar.

While one's avatar may sway what I think about the writer, it does nothing to change what they have written.

Why would the number of posts of a member per day worry you..?

You ain't got time to fit an avatar yet you count folks posts...........rolleyes.gif

It amuses me, I never said it worries me(few things do)

You'll be telling me Denial is a river in Africa!

I spend more time that I should here and post about 2 posts a week. To dedicate you life, and I mean that(28,000 posts in 8 years), to ONE internet forum is funny. Even funnier when you haven't been made a Moderator yet.

The internet is an amazingly huge resource, even with other Thailand forums. The real world is huge too. I don't understand young people today. When I go down the bar, they are all sitting there staring at their smartphones. They don't bother to learn Thai etc.These forums take over their lives. Can you speak Thai/spend time with your family etc?

Internet addiction is real brother, I wish you clarity.

ps, I'll be out for the rest of the day as one of my daughters is buying me lunch. Then off for a haircut and shave then to the tennis club. I have lots of time today but value it.

Edited by Johnniey

If a person's avatar effects the way another responds to thier post, then that person is not really concentrating on the topic at hand and has a few personal issues. I have noticed that a few on here do get very upset about avatars and nicknames and they can trigger personal attacks but again they have personal issues/psych.

Your avatar suggests you are a "Saints" supporter, so I can imagine that you could believe that it is impossible to accommodate multi levels of concentration..

It's not true. Some of us can whistle and piss at the same time.

Looking forward to the "Weagles" stopping the Saints from marching in, out, or any which way in 2015.

Yes,, It’s obvious that avatars effect me.