Ford Everest - All New 2015

Barontt

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On my Everest it comes in a trunking down the left A pillar, appears at the center console and then plugs into the left hand power socket.

Same, same but down the right A pillar.

Have you looked st the chip in your computer? It's the ADR Player ...does the speed work ...it's shown at the top right hand side.

Also have you played back the recording via the incar unit ...using AV. Did you get an AV lead included as mine was missing?

I'm thinking of investing in a 360 camera system as I want both a front and rear camera recording. Has the benefit of showing the parking space lines and I can have a front of car camera that I could configure to give me the peek around the corner feature on new US Ford SUVs.

I'm thinking something like this http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Round-View-DVR-System-Car-Security-Recording-1080P-360-Degree-Bird-View-Panorama-System-Front-Left/32581706487.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.116.jL0k6d&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_9,searchweb201644_1_10001_10002_10005_10006_10003_10004_62,searchweb201560_2,searchweb1451318400_6149

Not sure how complicated it would be to install.

The SYNC2 system does not have an AV input - so you'd need an extra adaptor in order to get this displaying on the SYNC2 screen. Speak to a car audio shop for a tried and tested solution.

I'm thinking of investing in a 360 camera system as I want both a front and rear camera recording. Has the benefit of showing the parking space lines and I can have a front of car camera that I could configure to give me the peek around the corner feature on new US Ford SUVs.

I'm thinking something like this http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Round-View-DVR-System-Car-Security-Recording-1080P-360-Degree-Bird-View-Panorama-System-Front-Left/32581706487.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.116.jL0k6d&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_9,searchweb201644_1_10001_10002_10005_10006_10003_10004_62,searchweb201560_2,searchweb1451318400_6149

Not sure how complicated it would be to install.

The SYNC2 system does not have an AV input - so you'd need an extra adaptor in order to get this displaying on the SYNC2 screen. Speak to a car audio shop for a tried and tested solution.

Yeah, thinking of getting Mirage Audio to do the required work as there's a branch near me.

Everest winning awards and comparisons is getting a little monotonous and predictable now.. it hasn't come 2nd yet - unless you count that mini comparison with the Land Rover Discovery 4 biggrin.png

I'm still reserving a little excitement and trepidation for the Wheels COTY though - that's a tough one tongue.png

If by any chance it wins that one, I think we'll need to start a special topic: "Thai made Everest clean sweeps all Car Of The Year awards" :D

Edited by IMHO

Everest winning awards and comparisons is getting a little monotonous and predictable now.. it hasn't come 2nd yet - unless you count that mini comparison with the Land Rover Discovery 4 biggrin.png

I'm still reserving a little excitement and trepidation for the Wheels COTY though - that's a tough one tongue.png

If by any chance it wins that one, I think we'll need to start a special topic: "Thai made Everest clean sweeps all Car Of The Year awards" :D

And now a comparison with the Fortuner. Note the mistake in the piece where they have said the Fortuner ground clearance is 279mm vs the Everest's 225mm. Actually they have identical ground clearance and Toyota have admitted it was and error on their part.

http://www.drive.com.au/new-car-comparison/ford-everest-v-toyota-crusader-head-to-head-comparison-20160112-gm45bj.html

If that comparison between the disco and EV was in Thailand the EV would win hands down. There's no way the reviewer would give the disco the win at the obscene Thai price.

Edited by ChesneyHawkes

Took a test drive in a Ford Everest Titanium+ and although it wasn't the 3.2L model, I was very impressed with the ride quality of this SUV. The interior exudes a taste of class and seems 'almost' as spacious as my beloved MU-7 - (interior space being a critical personal preference). In my estimation, Ford has really stepped up to the proverbial SUV plate and 'hit one out of the park' with the Everest T+. It's packed with top notch technology - while at the same time, the 'perennial SUV favorite of LOS', the Tuna, is still sold with rear drum brakes!! Ford deserves credit for raising the technological bar in this segment of the SUV market with its 2015 top spec model priced only ~ THB 300k more than my 2012 Mu-7! My hat is off to those of you who had the foresight (and ready finances) to order one of these SUV gems at the THB 1.5xx M price! Hopefully a top notch Garmin GPS system will soon be standard.

I am definitely sold on this SUV!

The performance guy in me wonders: With the Titanium+ sold with 20" Goodyear Efficient Grip tires (which are just avg IMHO), which brand of 265/50R20 tires (available in LOS) would be considered top rated high-performance premiums for the Everest Titanium+? These tires would be primarily for non off-road, city and weekend/holiday touring driving with emphasis on ride quality and noise and dry/wet traction characteristics.

I've got one of these cameras fitted to my Ranger. I cringe every time a Thai 'professional' gets his hands on it.

I am less than impressed with the playback facilities that I have been made aware of at present. I'm told it won't via the in car unit and it won't via my android phone. Back window here it comes ... and I will get something decent for the front! Unless some expert tells me otherwise ... the Ford tech we spoke to hadn't even seen one before. Edited by JAS21

Took a test drive in a Ford Everest Titanium+ and although it wasn't the 3.2L model, I was very impressed with the ride quality of this SUV. The interior exudes a taste of class and seems 'almost' as spacious as my beloved MU-7 - (interior space being a critical personal preference). In my estimation, Ford has really stepped up to the proverbial SUV plate and 'hit one out of the park' with the Everest T+. It's packed with top notch technology - while at the same time, the 'perennial SUV favorite of LOS', the Tuna, is still sold with rear drum brakes!! Ford deserves credit for raising the technological bar in this segment of the SUV market with its 2015 top spec model priced only ~ THB 300k more than my 2012 Mu-7! My hat is off to those of you who had the foresight (and ready finances) to order one of these SUV gems at the THB 1.5xx M price! Hopefully a top notch Garmin GPS system will soon be standard.

The performance guy in me wonders: With the Titanium+ sold with 20" Goodyear Efficient Grip tires (which are just avg IMHO), which brand of 265/50R20 tires (available in LOS) would be considered top rated high-performance premiums for the Everest Titanium+? These tires would be primarily for non off-road, city and weekend/holiday touring driving with emphasis on ride quality and noise and dry/wet traction characteristics.

You didn't test drive a Titanium+, 2.2 is just a regular Titanium at the moment meaning it's missing a whole host of features.

If by any chance it wins that one, I think we'll need to start a special topic: "Thai made Everest clean sweeps all Car Of The Year awards" biggrin.png

And now a comparison with the Fortuner. Note the mistake in the piece where they have said the Fortuner ground clearance is 279mm vs the Everest's 225mm. Actually they have identical ground clearance and Toyota have admitted it was and error on their part.

http://www.drive.com.au/new-car-comparison/ford-everest-v-toyota-crusader-head-to-head-comparison-20160112-gm45bj.html

If that comparison between the disco and EV was in Thailand the EV would win hands down. There's no way the reviewer would give the disco the win at the obscene Thai price.

I actually didn't ever think we'd see top-spec vs top-spec comparison like this out of Australia, given the wide price gap between them there (AUD$15,000 = THB 380,000).

Even more unexpected is that the Everest still beats the top Fortuner even with an almost 400K Baht price premium weighed into the equation - that's the kind of money that can make you overlook a lot of shortcomings... I have to admit that if I could have bought the top-spec Fortuner for 1.2M Baht (400K less than what I paid for my MY15 T+), I would have given it a second or third thought, rather than just dismissing it off-hand.

Note that the price gap between these two here in Thailand is 120K Baht - The Everest Titanium+ 3.2L AWD 6AT is 1,749,000 and the Fortuner "V" 2.8L 4WD 6AT is 1,629,000 Baht.

RE: the misquoted Fortuner ground clearance, these are the guys that raised the error with Toyota: https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-reviews/2016-toyota-fortuner-gx-manual-review/

I'm surprised the guys at Drive are still misquoting the old figure, given Toyota admitted the wrong figure 9 days before this comparison was published.

Edited by IMHO

As others have noted, if the model you drove was the 2.2L 4-cylinder, there's a fairly large list of features you haven't yet seen or experienced yet: https://www.ford.co.th/en/suvs/all-new-everest/models.

As for GPS, there are some aftermarket solutions already that integrate in with the SYNC2 system quite nicely. Price is around 30K Baht, but for that you're also getting video playback and casting abilities too.

As for alternatives to the Goodyear EfficientGrip SUV tires it comes with, when it comes time to replace them, I'll be using the Yokohama Parada Spec-X's again... I'll report back then, but don't hold your breath waiting :P

If by any chance it wins that one, I think we'll need to start a special topic: "Thai made Everest clean sweeps all Car Of The Year awards" biggrin.png

I actually didn't ever think we'd see top-spec vs top-spec comparison like this out of Australia, given the wide price gap between them there (AUD$15,000 = THB 380,000).

Even more unexpected is that the Everest still beats the top Fortuner even with an almost 400K Baht price premium weighed into the equation - that's the kind of money that can make you overlook a lot of shortcomings... I have to admit that if I could have bought the top-spec Fortuner for 1.2M Baht (400K less than what I paid for my MY15 T+), I would have given it a second or third thought, rather than just dismissing it off-hand.

Note that the price gap between these two here in Thailand is 120K Baht - The Everest Titanium+ 3.2L AWD 6AT is 1,749,000 and the Fortuner "V" 2.8L 4WD 6AT is 1,629,000 Baht.

RE: the misquoted Fortuner ground clearance, these are the guys that raised the error with Toyota: https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-reviews/2016-toyota-fortuner-gx-manual-review/

I'm surprised the guys at Drive are still misquoting the old figure, given Toyota admitted the wrong figure 9 days before this comparison was published.

I think one reason the Fortuner is beaten is because they have the Prado in Australia. Here in Thailand they think the tuna and EV are level, when I tell people there's actually a tier missing it pretty much ends any argument they put about the tuna being a better SUV. I've yet to meet a Thai who knows what a Prado is, though there was one on show at the motor expo at the BRG stand.

The only thing that stands out now is the servicing and maintenance, of which Ford will probably always find it hard to match just because of the sheer number of locations here. Thankfully living in Bangkok means it's not too bad, and my dealer will pickup/return the car whenever I have issues. No need to get myself down to the dealership these days.

I think one reason the Fortuner is beaten is because they have the Prado in Australia. Here in Thailand they think the tuna and EV are level, when I tell people there's actually a tier missing it pretty much ends any argument they put about the tuna being a better SUV. I've yet to meet a Thai who knows what a Prado is, though there was one on show at the motor expo at the BRG stand.

The only thing that stands out now is the servicing and maintenance, of which Ford will probably always find it hard to match just because of the sheer number of locations here. Thankfully living in Bangkok means it's not too bad, and my dealer will pickup/return the car whenever I have issues. No need to get myself down to the dealership these days.

Yep.

If you consider the design brief's for all these SUV's it becomes clearer...

The new Fortuner was designed to sit a rung below the Prado - and it was even deigned in Australia where Toyota believed they'd hit the brief best.

The Pajero Sport was designed to sit a rung below the full Pajero (which up until a few years ago was sold here for 4.xM Baht BTW).

The Everest was designed to take on / take out the Prado.

In all comparisons so far, Everest > Prado, so Ford hit their target.

At the same time, all comparisons also show that Prado > full Pajero

Seeing as design goals mandate that Prado > Fortuner, and full Pajero > Pajero Sport, comparisons between the Everest and the other two we have here seem a little unfair.

Thai prices are what confuse the issue wink.png

And some disclosure: it was my understanding of these design briefs, and some reports by moles that gave me confidence they were being achieved, that convinced me to book the EV while it was still pre-production. It was only a small gamble, but one I'm glad I took :P

Edited by IMHO

Yep.

If you consider the design brief's for all these SUV's it becomes clearer...

The new Fortuner was designed to sit a rung below the Prado - and it was even deigned in Australia where Toyota believed they'd hit the brief best.

The Pajero Sport was designed to sit a rung below the full Pajero (which up until a few years ago was sold here for 4.xM Baht BTW).

The Everest was designed to take on / take out the Prado.

In all comparisons so far, Everest > Prado, so Ford hit their target.

At the same time, all comparisons also show that Prado > full Pajero

Seeing as design goals mandate that Prado > Fortuner, and full Pajero > Pajero Sport, comparisons between the Everest and the other two we have here seem a little unfair.

Thai prices are what confuse the issue wink.png

And some disclosure: it was my understanding of these design briefs, and some reports by moles that gave me confidence they were being achieved, that convinced me to book the EV while it was still pre-production. It was only a small gamble, but one I'm glad I took :P

Last year I was trying to find out who had drawn the short straw when comparing the tuna and EV. 400k difference between them in Oz so was it Australian EV buyers. Or was it Thai tuna buyers who were paying almost parity. The fact that the EV reviews in Oz still put the EV ahead clearly meant that Thais are getting a raw deal.

That's slightly remedied now with a bigger price gap in LoS, and Ford have added most of the missing features to make it almost the same as the Australian model. But it still leaves me with the feeling that tuna owners here are getting taken for a proverbial ride. Even worse is the fact that Toyota have a lot of tech the Everest in their stable. You only have to look at the top Camry to see the tech exists.

I understand with the myriad of models they have in Australia, Toyota would want to get the feature set to fit in a particular hole, but there isn't a wide variety of Toyota SUVs here so they should have loaded it with far more goodies.

Last year I was trying to find out who had drawn the short straw when comparing the tuna and EV. 400k difference between them in Oz so was it Australian EV buyers. Or was it Thai tuna buyers who were paying almost parity. The fact that the EV reviews in Oz still put the EV ahead clearly meant that Thais are getting a raw deal.

That's slightly remedied now with a bigger price gap in LoS, and Ford have added most of the missing features to make it almost the same as the Australian model. But it still leaves me with the feeling that tuna owners here are getting taken for a proverbial ride. Even worse is the fact that Toyota have a lot of tech the Everest in their stable. You only have to look at the top Camry to see the tech exists.

I understand with the myriad of models they have in Australia, Toyota would want to get the feature set to fit in a particular hole, but there isn't a wide variety of Toyota SUVs here so they should have loaded it with far more goodies.

On the question of: who's getting the price right?

From a Thai market perspective we need only look at the Pajero Sport...

The PJS and Everest are priced about right here - it's the Fortuner that got's the odd ball price tag, IMHO smile.png It's just not worth 160K more than the PJS, but it's pretty easy to make the argument that the EV is worth 280K more then the PJS.... or 130K more if comparing to the 3.2L Titanium (non plus) version - if only it had a reversing camera - what a silly option delete.

Edited by IMHO

Just wait until they have production and delivery issues ironed out. Then the market will tell us which firm has the correct pricing and positioning. Ford obviously thinks PED for the Everest is inelastic hence the large price increases relative to the competition following the tax hike. It will be interesting to see how it plays out over 2016.

Just wait until they have production and delivery issues ironed out. Then the market will tell us which firm has the correct pricing and positioning. Ford obviously thinks PED for the Everest is inelastic hence the large price increases relative to the competition following the tax hike. It will be interesting to see how it plays out over 2016.

But how do we measure "how it plays out" without inside info on production costs, how they're amortizing R&D costs, ongoing marketing costs / cost of sales etc?

A simple example is: How much of the massive R&D expenditure on the Everest and Ranger are they going to write off/assign to the upcoming Bronco and new mid-size pickup for the North American market in 2017-18, that will be based upon today's work?

How much are Ford TH actually spending on marketing? It's clearly nowhere near the ~50K Baht per car Toyota TH spends.

The only data we have is the MSRP and sales volume numbers - which don't give any real insight as to how profitable a model is - and profit is the real measure of success in business right? :)

On the question of: who's getting the price right?

From a Thai market perspective we need only look at the Pajero Sport...

The PJS and Everest are priced about right here - it's the Fortuner that got's the odd ball price tag, IMHO smile.png It's just not worth 160K more than the PJS, but it's pretty easy to make the argument that the EV is worth 280K more then the PJS.... or 130K more if comparing to the 3.2L Titanium (non plus) version - if only it had a reversing camera - what a silly option delete.

Yes that along with a decent set of cup holders is hard to believe however as long as the gas prices stay down the fuel efficiency is pretty much a non issue.. After sales service in another matter.. ;)

But how do we measure "how it plays out" without inside info on production costs, how they're amortizing R&D costs, ongoing marketing costs / cost of sales etc?

A simple example is: How much of the massive R&D expenditure on the Everest and Ranger are they going to write off/assign to the upcoming Bronco and new mid-size pickup for the North American market in 2017-18, that will be based upon today's work?

How much are Ford TH actually spending on marketing? It's clearly nowhere near the ~50K Baht per car Toyota TH spends.

The only data we have is the MSRP and sales volume numbers - which don't give any real insight as to how profitable a model is - and profit is the real measure of success in business right? :)

I don't think Toyota care too much. I'm sure the Japanese govt will bail them out yet again when necessary. Buyers need to grow a brain and not buy their poor offerings to force them to up their game. Unfortunately, most car buyers are stupid.

I don't think Toyota care too much....

You would be incorrect in your thinking.

and you are certain of this how?

Certain of what, that Toyota cares about their margin?

I can't answer for anyone else, but Im pretty sure that Toyota cares that they've gone from mid-40's to low-30's market share in Thailand, decade to date - especially when the last 2 years have seen the overall market in decline as a double-whammy.

They also pretty much proved that Ford does matter to them, a lot, when they scrapped years of work on the Vigo's successor, and clean-sheeted the re-design in 2011 after the first T6 Ranger surfaced. They even gave the 2nd re-design project to their Australian R&D centre (TTCau) in the hopes they'd nail the brief better.

Edited by IMHO

I can't answer for anyone else, but Im pretty sure that Toyota cares that they've gone from mid-40's to low-30's market share in Thailand, decade to date - especially when the last 2 years have seen the overall market in decline as a double-whammy.

They also pretty much proved that Ford does matter to them, a lot, when they scrapped years of work on the Vigo's successor, and clean-sheeted the re-design in 2011 after the first T6 Ranger surfaced. They even gave the 2nd re-design project to their Australian R&D centre (TTCau) in the hopes they'd nail the brief better.

agree Ford has done a great job developing the New Ranger and Everest. They did clearly a better job in many aspects especially in design. However I think Toyota still does ok with sales in the new Revo and Fortuner. My guess without having seen the numbers is that Isuzu is the one struggling with the Dmax and MUX.

agree Ford has done a great job developing the New Ranger and Everest. They did clearly a better job in many aspects especially in design. However I think Toyota still does ok with sales in the new Revo and Fortuner. My guess without having seen the numbers is that Isuzu is the one struggling with the Dmax and MUX.

The Isuzu'a are still selling reasonably well - their MO of blanket marketing in the North and North East has created huge regions that are Isuzu strongholds. They still have a solid 2nd place in the pickup segment, and are still in the middle of the field in the PPV market.

Chev are the ones struggling - not a single model from them that's a strong performer... While all other PPV sales figures are in the thousands every month, they rarely crack the 150 units barrier.. There is a minor change for the Trailblazer and Colorado expected in Q3 - the question is: will it be enough to reverse their fortunes?