PM Prayut says it's just a joke for travel ban to the US

webfact

Prayut says it's just a joke for travel ban to the US

18-3-2558-11-08-03-wpcf_728x408.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha yesterday denied his earlier remark at a business forum that he was not allowed to enter the United States, saying he didn't really mean it by just only joking.

The forum was organised by the US-based Wharton University of Pennsylvania last Friday.

He said, “I was only joking as many participants at the conference were Americans.”

He didn’t mean what he said as he joked he was banned entry while he allowed them to come in freely.

He said it was the media that sensationally played up his joke and turned it into an issue.

“I just teased them on whether or not they would deter me from going to the US while I do not bar them from doing business here and they laughed,” Gen Prayut said.

Gen Prayut said he will visit the US in September to attend the UN General Assembly in New York, accepting an invitation from UN secretary-general Ban Ki-moon.

He said some diplomatic procedures must be attended to prior to his visit.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/prayut-says-its-just-a-joke-for-travel-ban-to-the-us

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-03-18

• Like 2

I think he's got my sense of humour.

Never appreciated by anybody.

Don't worry Prime Minister, people can't understand great minds like ours........................

With supporters like you he doesn't need detractors. you do far more damage than good.

I happen to agree with the general, but your comment insults the man, even if that isn't your intent, or was it?

geriatrickid, I would never thought, I would see the day that you will be supporting our Prime Minister.

Well done Sir, and please keep up the good work.

I'm proud of you.

I have nothing against Gen Prayuth but deary me this govt is in desperate need of a skilled public relations team.

Some of the comments and stories that are allowed to come out in the media are laughable - this story being no exception.

It seems that Prayuth has had little or no media training whatsoever.

But then again why would he, he's a military general and not a career politician.

Sorry, I still don't get his humour. Is he or is he not banned from entering the US?

Note that treaties prevent the US from blocking people from attending the UN, but then may ban people from all entering for anything other than the UN.

So is he banned, or is he not?

i.e. can he fly on a normal passport to visit the US or will the visa be rejected (except for UN purposes)?

WOw.. his original statement spawned a huge thread on Thai visa with the majority of the posters using it to slander the US...I and some others said on that thread he was full of S*** and that he could go...

This guy is a buffoon and makes Thailand really look bad. But since he's Thai... I'm not surprised by this. It's a fifth grade humor ... if it was a joke, which I think it wasn't.

• Like 2