Today's condos, tomorrow's ghettos?

If they keep spending money on maintenance it shouldn't become a ghetto.

House or Condo if you don't maintain it properly it will become a derelict.

True Costas, but at least a house you only have to worry about it yourself.

• Like 2

Ghetto-part or area of a city where minority groups live- usually because of ethnic or socio- economic reasons.

Yes I worry about groups of impoverished Brits, their income having collapsed due to currency fluctuations . Paint peeling, stinking lifts, rats, not even able to afford the 99baht breakfasts.

What on earth on you on about??

Not sure what the OP is asking, but it sure sounds like you are describing a condo complex with a "View of the Sea" :P

• Like 1

Ghetto-part or area of a city where minority groups live- usually because of ethnic or socio- economic reasons.

Yes I worry about groups of impoverished Brits, their income having collapsed due to currency fluctuations . Paint peeling, stinking lifts, rats, not even able to afford the 99baht breakfasts.

Reworded would be tomorrow's run down old condos.

Plenty around the place.

but you know the Thai(owner) habit in regards of maintenance...

Exactly.

I was looking at condos for sale and saw run down dumps for 600k.

Made me wonder if these nice new buildings will be these 600k condos in 10 years?

by law they have to be Thai owned though no chance-lucky if they are 200k worth in 10 years...

just as an example my next neighbor a high ranked army dude bought his brand new house 1.5 years ago-now it looks already like a rubbish dump...but three big cars...

• Like 2

Older Thai condos do tend to get run down, presumably to a lack of maintenance money, either not paid or pilfered.

However it does take a while so probably plenty of years left in a new building. Of course moobaans can also suffer the same fate, sure we've all seen a few of those as well.

Quite true...

And the other side of the coin is the type of low-life people that may move in if the place becomes run down.

Quite true...

And the other side of the coin is the type of low-life people that may move in if the place becomes run down.

I think that is the point of which ghetto becomes applicable?

Exactly.

I was looking at condos for sale and saw run down dumps for 600k.

Made me wonder if these nice new buildings will be these 600k condos in 10 years?

by law they have to be Thai owned though no chance-lucky if they are 200k worth in 10 years...

just as an example my next neighbor a high ranked army dude bought his brand new house 1.5 years ago-now it looks already like a rubbish dump...but three big cars...

We have one of those in our street .loads of cash ,but does nothing to take care of his garden or the street outside his house.

• Like 1

I used to have a couple of condos in Jomtien and you could see the signs. At first everyone paid the maintenance fee which wasnt expensive but over a few years there were a significant number, mostly but not exclusively Thai's who hadnt paid for a year or more.

We moved to a house at that point. No idea what the condo we were in is like now but I would guess not as good as it should have been

• Like 1

I live in a condo in Chiang Mai good location maybe 22 yrs. old. Its is well maintained and remodellers (curse them for the noise) at work all the time. People are still buying in here even though the building is older. I do rent as I am not a big believer in buying Thai real estate of any sort.

• Like 1

Bought a condo in an older building in good location because I like 140 square meters of space. New ones are all tiny and over priced. If they are large and well located then the new ones are ridiculously priced.

Get on the board. Find like minded people. Move slowly and with purpose. Make a difference.

Now we have a nicer building. We renovated the downstairs, let owners paint and decorate hallways and put art up.

Its nice.

• Like 2

And holes in the soles of the flip-flops....you forgot to mention that.

Edited by dotpoom

If they keep spending moneyarrow-10x10.png on maintenance it shouldn't become a ghetto.

True Costas, but at least a house you only have to worry about it yourself.

Is English your 2nd language??

Do you need it in troll language?

Bought a condo in an older building in good location because I like 140 square meters of space. New ones are all tiny and over priced. If they are large and well located then the new ones are ridiculously priced.

Get on the board. Find like minded people. Move slowly and with purpose. Make a difference.

Now we have a nicer building. We renovated the downstairs, let owners paint and decorate hallways and put art up.

Its nice.

140 squares in a condo is fantastic! Well done.

It's no guarantee but I would buy a condo built by one of the large, respected, publically traded, Bangkok builders--Sansiri, Lumpini, SC Asset, Supalai, etc. They are in the business of building and, more importantly, selling condos. We used to live in a condo in Pattaya built by a private owner and they owned so many unsold units that they could control the condo board and the budget since they could outvote everyone--and they did. Not a good situation. Suggestions for improvements went in one ear and out the other. Richer than God and really not that concerned as to whether they ever sold the unsold condos or not. I'd avoid a family operation like that. A condo that has a hotel component with a respected hotel like Marriot or Amari might also be a consideration as they might maintain things better.

• Like 1

Simple, travel around this amazing land. Find a good woman - assuming you are a good man - and you will be condominiun-less. Age dependent, go bush ,but not so far you and your bride cannot have a social life. Crikey, all up to the individual. Think man! What do you want/expect out of the the rest of your life? After writing this I made a fundamental presumption. You were me. Sorry, my unknown friend.

• Like 1

In my experience it comes down to the management of the condo. I personally stay away from Thai company managed condos. Those managed by foreign companies with a demonstrated history do the job well and I have little concerns. Those managed by Thai companies, well there are just too many stories whereby the money is never recovered or not allocated to repair and maintenance as described.

Just my 2 cents and observations over the past 4 years living in condos myself.

Simple, travel around this amazing land. Find a good woman - assuming you are a good man - and you will be condominiun-less. Age dependent, go bush ,but not so far you and your bride cannot have a social life. Crikey, all up to the individual. Think man! What do you want/expect out of the the rest of your life? After writing this I made a fundamental presumption. You were me. Sorry, my unknown friend.

" Find a good woman - assuming you are a good man - and you will be condominiun-less."

But there's more than a few farang on this forum that will tell you they did just that and found themselves not only condominium- less but shortly after cash-less toogiggle.gif

Edited by Asiantravel
  • Like 1