60-year-old Frenchman killed in Bangkok apartment jump

Thaivisa News

Depression can seriously impair judgment. If a person who has committed suicide would have refrained from it at the last moment, possibly half a year later he would have been quite happy. A depressed person is by definition incapable to make a well thought out rational decision to do this.

People who survived the golden gate bridge jump (2%) all have the same story to tell: they regretted their action when half way down.

Correct. Great documentary about it called The Bridge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bridge_%282006_documentary_film%29

One of the few people who survived said about half way down he was

frantically trying to remember what to do to survive hitting water at 121

KPH . He entered feet first, and survived with severe spinal injuries.

Edited by EyesWideOpen

Sad...no other way to look at it. Sad. I hope if I know anybody thats thinking this that I give off tge right kinda vibe that they can call me before doing this. I know im a jackass with a lot of posts....but at the end of the day we all need to care about one another.....RIP Frenchie..

Depression can seriously impair judgment. If a person who has committed suicide would have refrained from it at the last moment, possibly half a year later he would have been quite happy. A depressed person is by definition incapable to make a well thought out rational decision to do this.

People who survived the golden gate bridge jump (2%) all have the same story to tell: they regretted their action when half way down.

Correct. Great documentary about it called The Bridge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bridge_%282006_documentary_film%29

One of the few people who survived said about half way down he was

frantically trying to remember what to do to survive hitting water at 121

KPH . He entered feet first, and survived with severe spinal injuries.

Thanks for the post.

https://youtu.be/a3iw-9O4ONI

I think everyone should have the individual choice about living or not living.

I'd prefer to see a person not die horrifically as is so often the case.

Death by drug overdose must surely be a better way to exit this world.

Until government figures out how to tax life, it is the only thing that is really ours.

Sometimes people just don't enjoy life any more so they end it, sad in a twenty year old bit a sixty year old has lived most of the best years anyway, surely his choice.

Steven Fry is a funny and very successful guy but says has been close to suicide many times. The reasons are often complex.

Maybe the rate of the €uro was the cause.

Or that Hollande is stealing his pension...

Or...

R.I.P.

You make an interesting point. Central bankers play games with currencies on gigantic proportions. Their games create wealth for some in the form of asset price appreciation that helps the rich. But for others they create poverty. I have no idea why this man jumped, maybe it was just loneliness, or maybe it was loneliness exacerbated by economic hardship.

My point is that the games these central bankers play have real consequences. The central banks do indeed have blood on their hands. Remember QE from the Fed? It caused the USD to weaken at that time a few years ago. For Arab countries whose currencies are still pegged to the USD, it then caused huge price inflation, which created anger. That anger led to the Arab spring. The Arab Spring created power vacuums that eventually ushered in ISIS. Thats a lot of blood these central bankers have on their hands, but its doubtful the idiots understand that.

Thats actually very funny.....Bit late to be thinking about that when halfway down to meet your maker....Wonder what the other 98 percent were thinking.....

....more accurately...'locked'...not 'locked from the inside'....otherwise they would have to break the door down to gain entry...

As he was the only person in the room, inside the room, and the room was locked, the room obviously had to be locked from the inside to be accurate, but what does it matter?

You just want to add a few of your bizarre dots between most words to the thread?

You make an interesting point. Central bankers play games with currencies on gigantic proportions. Their games create wealth for some in the form of asset price appreciation that helps the rich. But for others they create poverty. I have no idea why this man jumped, maybe it was just loneliness, or maybe it was loneliness exacerbated by economic hardship.

My point is that the games these central bankers play have real consequences. The central banks do indeed have blood on their hands. Remember QE from the Fed? It caused the USD to weaken at that time a few years ago. For Arab countries whose currencies are still pegged to the USD, it then caused huge price inflation, which created anger. That anger led to the Arab spring. The Arab Spring created power vacuums that eventually ushered in ISIS. Thats a lot of blood these central bankers have on their hands, but its doubtful the idiots understand that.

Talk about tenuous links between unrelated events!

Isn't it correct guys, at least out of respect for the dead, to leave speculation, until after we get some real facts on these cases?

I strongly believe that there are (very sadly), many genuinely tragic, and accidental deaths/suicides, among our farang brothers and sisters, in our beautiful, adoptive, home country. wai2.gif

Just go home.

Thailand is not worth dying for.

Deceased would most likely have killed himself if he was at home as well.

We don't know, GK. Tragically, the Frenchman will never know what new opportunities and hopes may have opened up for him if he had returned to his native land. The tragedy in these Thailand suicide cases is guys thinking all hope ends in Thailand.

Talk about tenuous links between unrelated events!

If the events were unrelated then there could not have been tenuous links, but i suspect I'm speaking above your head anyway.

Just go home.

Very noble intentions, I am sure of that, but I've been thinking about this for a few days now ("go home" that is). I'm "only 42", have a BBA and work experience, good letters of reference, etc. and I've lived here in Thailand / Asia for 5 years now. The thoughts of going back to a "Western lifestyle/job" again is simply NOT an option for me now... I simply wouldn't fit it any more.

I think countries like Thailand/Southeast Asia in general can/do change a man's personality, work ethics, self-discipline, etc.

This man was much older, lived in Asia much longer than I have... maybe he had NOTHING to go back to... maybe he was ill and simply wanted to end it here and now or maybe he carried a burden so great, that it finally got the better of him... we all have our own burden to carry, some can accept it, others can't.

The "go home" advice seems well-intended, but pretty useless/impractical.

Let's be honest, but how many of YOU could imagine a life back in the old 9-to-5 West? Taxes? Nanny state? Police state?

I sincerely hope the man had some good times when he was alive...

Personally, I find having at least two hobbies which you are passionate about, helps to keep you occupied and content. I know it helps me to put sense and meaning into my days.

• Like 1

i am going to make assumptions, no apologies in advance. Depression cannot usually be fixed by, "just get over it" statements. Medical help is needed. But I think we all know we might be a little depressed, so, for the sake of your life, do something about it. Quit complaining about everything, and really reach out to professionals. I also think getting outside is great, exercise is great, and try to look forward to something. i know money issues are harder to fix, but i'm pretty sure money isn't the only problem. i know tons of people with money who are super depressed, but they are in counseling.

anyhow, ask yourself honestly if you are really depressed. google symptoms online. then, for the sake of youself, do something about it.

Scientology will fix any mental problems.cheesy.gif

i am going to make assumptions, no apologies in advance. Depression cannot usually be fixed by, "just get over it" statements. Medical help is needed. But I think we all know we might be a little depressed, so, for the sake of your life, do something about it. Quit complaining about everything, and really reach out to professionals. I also think getting outside is great, exercise is great, and try to look forward to something. i know money issues are harder to fix, but i'm pretty sure money isn't the only problem. i know tons of people with money who are super depressed, but they are in counseling.

anyhow, ask yourself honestly if you are really depressed. google symptoms online. then, for the sake of youself, do something about it.

ok dr. phill puukoa,when you are depressed nothing makes sense, lectures like yours.... ehhhh..... well lets just say those words only make "you" feel better. :-)

Just go home.

? just how small do you think ? you are unaware of his needs, wants & desires yet you can spew out trash talk like that? time to man up your thinking, your response is that of a teenager or a bar stool commander . :-)