Who has the right of way on a Thai roundabout?

Thais generally cannot do roundabouts. <deleted>

Please reference Dolphin Roundabout at the end of Pattaya Neua and the roundabout near the U-turn to Laem Chabang Port on Sukhumvit Road and every other roundabout in the kingdom that doesn't have lights.

Rules , Rules ,Bloody Rules, its not a Nanny State so im afraid common sense is needed.This could be a Prob for newbies here.When in Rome stop bleating and enjoy it here.thumbsup.gif

Agreed. The best rules won't help you when you're trying to turn right at a roundabout, because you're used to drive on the right lane.....w00t.gif

Who has the right of way on a Thai roundabout? - You give way to traffic on your right.

Wether or not this is followed or not, that is the rule. Some roundabouts actually have signs saying this (In Thai)

Edited by cumgranosalum

I have to go through a roundabout twice a day in Chiang Mai for years and it is vehicles to the right have right of way. The rule is pretty well followed but during a rush period it can be a bear to get in.

• Like 1

Rules , Rules ,Bloody Rules, its not a Nanny State so im afraid common sense is needed.This could be a Prob for newbies here.When in Rome stop bleating and enjoy it here.thumbsup.gif

Good post up to the point where you mention common sense. In Thailand?????

• Like 1

It seems to work like this anywhere in Thailand.The bigger the vehicle the more right of way it has.So truck and buses rule,then next size I guess SUV's ,pickup trucks,then big cars,small cars,motorcycles,bicycles,then the pedestrian.If you have A quick motorcycle and you get to the area before the big truck and the bus,then the motorcycle has the right of way.

Just go to some intersections and watch the way it goes.

It WAS answered - you give way to traffic from the right

Only on roundabouts.
No ...... Give way to the right at all times. Think about it.

How can you give way to the left? In theory, there won't be any!!!

please learn the rules before driving here.
  • Like 2

Only on roundabouts.

In theory has never carried much weight here I'm afraid!

It should be give way to the right. But no one learns that. So it's a bit of a lottery.. the biggest, most aggressive vehicle / driver!

This is the rule in Thailand, though as you will notice, when you are exiting the roundabout, cars just come shooting onto it in front of you. They have no idea. They do not know how to indicate on a roundabout or which lane to be in. To compound problems, bikes stop mid-way on the roundabout, even though they have right of way.

However, correct me if I'm wrong, but they have a bizarre "give way to your left" rule here for normal intersections. Maybe that is the source of confusion. Thais could be applying that rule to roundabouts here, meaning cars on the roundabout need to give way xermm.gif.pagespeed.ic.7f2Kr9k8HCMjHXnuO

I usually give way to cars on the roundabout, then proceed slowly, expecting cars to come onto the roundabout in front of me. A blast of the horn doesn't go astray herebiggrin.png

Only on roundabouts.

In theory has never carried much weight here I'm afraid!

wait till you get to court!

It should be give way to the right. But no one learns that. So it's a bit of a lottery.. the biggest, most aggressive vehicle / driver!

This is the rule in Thailand, though as you will notice, when you are exiting the roundabout, cars just come shooting onto it in front of you. They have no idea. They do not know how to indicate on a roundabout or which lane to be in. To compound problems, bikes stop mid-way on the roundabout, even though they have right of way.

However, correct me if I'm wrong, but they have a bizarre "give way to your left" rule here for normal intersections. Maybe that is the source of confusion. Thais could be applying that rule to roundabouts here, meaning cars on the roundabout need to give way xermm.gif.pagespeed.ic.7f2Kr9k8HCMjHXnuO

I usually give way to cars on the roundabout, then proceed slowly, expecting cars to come onto the roundabout in front of me. A blast of the horn doesn't go astray herebiggrin.png

"However, correct me if I'm wrong, but they have a bizarre "give way to your left" rule here for normal intersections. Maybe that is the source of confusion. Thais could be applying that rule to roundabouts here, meaning cars on the roundabout need to give way"

Interesting point......

Not that "bizarre' but ultimately very unworkable - If you have ever driven in places like France, you will have experienced the "priorite a droite" rule...this would translate into "left" on Thailand's roads. I must say I've noticed this and have wondered whether this was or even still is the case. It would explain a lot. However I've never found anyone - including police - who appears to be well qualified enough to explain the legal situation on this.

It is my firm conviction that Thai road culture comes not so much from early roads - as there weren't any, but from boats. If you know how to navigate a river then you'll see quite reality how this has translated into Thai driving behaviour.

i've also noted that inconsistencies appear in "big road over little road" when a "Sai" or Thanon" may would have priority over a "soi", but the usage and construction of the Soi makes it LOOK bigger or more important than the other road. As there are unlikley to be road markings or signs, the only way to tell is by reading the road names and working out which is a Soi and there doesn't have priority.

Download the attachment in Post 21 and look at p.11, Sect. 71 for general RoW - (summary) ' ... vehicle on left has priority except where a principal road is designated ...' then look at p.12, Sect. 73 for RoW at roundabouts - ' ... give way to vehicles coming from the right ...'.

Of course you can give way to the left. If you're entering, say, a crossroad, and there's a vehicle also entering from the road on your left, you should let him go first. A vehicle entering from your right lets you go first 'cos you're on his left.

On a roundabout, the vehicle on the approach road is on the left of the vehicle already on the roundabout and, if not for the altered priority at roundabouts, would usually have RoW, which would mean that nothing on the roundabout can move.

If you want to go straight ahead at that crossroad and there's another vehicle on your exit road wanting to turn right (i.e. across your path) as he turns, you're on his left & therefore have RoW but my experience is that the bloke wanting to turn right is allowed to go first - maybe out of fear that he'll do it anyway so might as well try to avoid him hitting you.

Unfortunately the locals seem to think that a tiny soi is of equal status to a major road that it joins so shoot out without looking, thinking they have RoW because they're on the left as far as the fast traffic on the major road is concerned - clearly a ridiculous situation.

Quoting the Land Traffic Act is all very well but usually has very little bearing on the real-life situation.

Edited by MartinL

As they drive on left,well sorta it's give way to right just as good ole uk rules.

Sorry Mate, But in Thailand the Rule is Give Way to the Left, I know it is crazy. At round abouts it is the first car into the roundabout that has the right of way. This confuses the Thai's as every vehicle is coming from the right, except those that go around the roundabout the wrong way which happens in the North east a lot as many cars are from Laos.

• Like 2

"

Section 71 (500B)

[if, when entering a junction, there are other vehicles, the driver must let such vehicles go through first.

If two vehicles enter a junction from different directions at the same time, the vehicle on the left side has a right of way, except when there's a designation of “principle roadway” in which case the vehicle on the principle roadway has a right of way.]

This then appears to be the law - from 2522 (1979)

in most countries with this type of law, the major roads now virtually automatically carry a "priority" law as in France, Netherlands etc...... I'm wondering if there is such a law in Thailand?

however on a roundabout the law or (convention??) appears to be "priority to the right" as in the highway code - so I'm told.....

the problem with priority to the left on DoL roads is that is causes congestion and accidents at crossroads and roundabouts as they simply don't work under those rules.

In Thailand however there simply aren't enough roadsigns to explain priorities at junctions - and if there are, they are frequently obscured by vegetation or billboards.

I see too, on further reading that roundabouts are "give way to traffic from the right"

Edited by cumgranosalum

That question is on the Thai driving test with an illustration, and it is the same answer as in all other reasonable places in the world..., the problem is that in practice, Thai drivers are not often reasonable, so best answer is: Response #6 Ace of Pop, which is the way most Thais do it I've seen.

keemapoot, can you please be more specific?

What is the answer on the driving test?

Never obtained a Thai driving licence, so I don't know.

The law in the UK is the one on the roundabout, has the right of way.

Here I was told by 2 Thai drivers that the one going into the roundabout has the right of way.

I'm not asking what is reasonable, but what is the law in Thailand.

Many Thanks

The answer you got from the 2 Thai drivers seem like what I have experienced over the years myself. Most Thai drivers drive into a roundabout as if they have the right of way. So the one going into the roundabout has the right of way I think according the Thai rules. However what is happening on the streets is entirely a different thing of course.

Now one should remember that for example a country like Sweden only has three actual laws pertaining to driving and then a lot of rules and regulations interpreting those laws.

1. Always drive at a speed so that you can avoid an accident. (automatically means if you have an accident you where driving too fast).

2. Always drive with care and safety and act with consideration towards other drivers on the road.

3. I cant remember the third one, but I think it is something about giving way to pedestrians or something like that.

It`s who dares wins.....

Should be give way to the traffic from the right, but seeing as most have training, no licence and no clue..... take a deep breath, close your eyes...and prey!

Ha Ha! Prey is to kill and eat. Try "pray" and pray you're not preyed upon.

• Like 2

Download the attachment in Post 21 and look at p.11, Sect. 71 for general RoW - (summary) ' ... vehicle on left has priority except where a principal road is designated ...' then look at p.12, Sect. 73 for RoW at roundabouts - ' ... give way to vehicles coming from the right ...'.

Of course you can give way to the left. If you're entering, say, a crossroad, and there's a vehicle also entering from the road on your left, you should let him go first. A vehicle entering from your right lets you go first 'cos you're on his left.

On a roundabout, the vehicle on the approach road is on the left of the vehicle already on the roundabout and, if not for the altered priority at roundabouts, would usually have RoW, which would mean that nothing on the roundabout can move.

If you want to go straight ahead at that crossroad and there's another vehicle on your exit road wanting to turn right (i.e. across your path) as he turns, you're on his left & therefore have RoW but my experience is that the bloke wanting to turn right is allowed to go first - maybe out of fear that he'll do it anyway so might as well try to avoid him hitting you.

Unfortunately the locals seem to think that a tiny soi is of equal status to a major road that it joins so shoot out without looking, thinking they have RoW because they're on the left as far as the fast traffic on the major road is concerned - clearly a ridiculous situation.

Quoting the Land Traffic Act is all very well but usually has very little bearing on the real-life situation.

"Unfortunately the locals seem to think that a tiny soi is of equal status to a major road that it joins so shoot out without looking, thinking they have RoW because they're on the left as far as the fast traffic on the major road is concerned - clearly a ridiculous situation." - I agree that this is totally ridiculous, but it is the same in France and other European Countries (except it is from the right!).......I have long suspected this to be the case and drive accordingly - it's nice to see it in black and white.

​It also should put an end to hot0-headed drivers claiming indignantly that "he just came out in front of me".....because of course he legally can and as a driver one needs to be aware of that.

Who ever is already on the roundabout has right of way. They recently replaced one in Buriram with traffic lights. I feel much better when I drive through there now.

Anyway, why do you want to know? Do you have the death wish?

Cooked is correct, but in practice never happens.

Thailand has not developed enough for round abouts yet.

• Like 1

"It never happens." "Thais can't" "not developed" - two things are becoming clear - many Thaivisa members really don't know how to drive and fail to see their own inadequacies, preferring to attribute their own mistakes down to racist theories of Thai incompetence citing individual experiences as a blanket, black and white proof.......this is in turn further evidence that they really don't understand what is going on or how they should drive - regardless of the country they are in.