Prayut blames 'too much democracy' for political woes

webfact

Prayut blames 'too much democracy' for political woes
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The head of Thailand's military government Monday blamed the country's previous political problems on "too much-democracy."

"We have too much democracy unlike other countries where governments can restrict freedoms," said Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha at a conference for the Federation of Thai Industries in Bangkok.

Prayut, an army general who took power after a coup last May, insisted that he did not "overthrow democracy" and that Thailand was still 99 per cent democratic.

He said that if he had complete power he would have imprisoned his critics or "put them before a firing squad," but insisted that he chose instead to work within the framework of the law.

Since coming into power, NGOs and critics have criticised the junta for arbitrary detention of its critics and the suspension of many civil rights.

Last week, Human Rights Watch repeated calls for the junta to lift martial law which it has used to govern the country since the coup, calling it a "rolling crackdown on civil and political rights."

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-03-23

In 5 days we will have a new Thaivisa thread:

"Prayut: I was only joking"

We should have learned by now, that the general have a very special sense of humor (that only he understands)

• Like 2

In 5 days we will have a new Thaivisa thread:

"Prayut: I was only joking"

We should have learned by now, that the general have a very special sense of humor (that only he understands)

I think a lot of these stories are lost in translation, not defending but people should always be aware that more often than not what drops out after a Thai English translation doesn't always make much sense

Those that are familiar with facebook translation will know exactly what I mean

• Like 2

I think a lot of these stories are lost in translation, not defending but people should always be aware that more often than not what drops out after a Thai English translation doesn't always make much sense

Come on. I read Prayut's words in Thai and the English translation is right to the point. All English newssites give the same translation. What are you talking about?

• Like 1

Lost in translation, I can see that. Instead of 99% democratic it should have read 99% undemocratic.

well of course he blames 'too much democracy' for the political woes which he and the front-man Suthep orchestrated... he could hardly admit the truth....

As for creating political woes, the Thai army has been a political player since the revolution... look no further for the source of "political woes"...

I love the fact that he mirrored the statement of some crazy poster from just a couple of days ago in claiming that if he "really" had absolute power that he could just shoot his opponents... wow, love that one.

And the still 99 percent democratic blurb, well no one claimed that the generals were good at math, ... how much for the blimp? OK, looks good.. And those bomb dectectors? Yeah, that sounds about right... How 'bout the aircraft carrier?? Cool, that's a bargain.... whistling.gif

But I hope - really sincerely hope - that he keeps up the good work of disrobing his 'government' all by himself so that the world can see what a military cant-use-the-mmm-mmm-word-ship looks like in the modern world...

• Like 1

"He said that if he had complete power he would have imprisoned his critics or "put them before a firing squad," but insisted that he chose instead to work within the framework of the law."

This is the man who is going to bring about Thai-style democracy. Scary thought.

Was he working within the framework of the law when he staged the coup?

• Like 1