Thailand: Where are the Russian tourists?

webfact

Thailand: Where are the Russian tourists?

BANGKOK, Thailand - With THAI having already cancelled direct flights to Moscow and analysts expecting 100,000 fewer Russians to Pattaya and secondary Thailand destinations, the future is looking challenging.

A crisis created by dramatic decrease in crude oil prices has plunged the Ruble into a 40% drop in value and still heading south. Many Russians are offloading recently purchased condos and that is placing an additional worry and strain on the area at this time.

Hotels and tourism businesses hoping to offset occupancy losses of upwards of 80% must avoid the possible terminal decision to fill beds with low spending Chinese tourists.

Bottom end Chinese tourists are lowering the bar and creating a serious situation affecting all other associated tourism.

This could bring down the future of Thailand tourism very quickly.

Full story: http://www.eturbonews.com/56854/thailand-where-are-russian-tourists

-- eTN 2015-03-24

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plenty still here in Samui. Many working IT businesses with young families.

I guess these are not tourists?

Haha ... They have "education "" visas .....

That's entirely possible if their children attend a private school accredited with the ministry of education.

For every minor attending a school, an additional visa can be issued to its guardian.

Plenty still here in Samui. Many working IT businesses with young families.

I guess these are not tourists?

Well some have no kids, just rent & operate IT businesses. My neighbours just come & go as they please no quota on number of entries.

Yes they are not tourists per say, working from home but still on tourist visas.

As for children, toddlers.

How did the market survive before the Russian flooded in?

Always goes in cycles. Do you remember when the English currency dropped ? Other emerging markets replaced them.

They are talking about 100K tourists not millions, I'm sure they will find someone to replace them, always the Chinese market to draw on.laugh.png

Always goes in cycles. Do you remember when the English currency dropped ? Other emerging markets replaced them.

They are talking about 100K tourists not millions, I'm sure they will find someone to replace them, always the Chinese market to draw on.laugh.png

Well the 100.000....I never believe these official numbers. Could be much more or less

25,000,000 visitors annually. -100,000 is nothing big really.

Not big as visitors, but big numbers for developers of condos. Imagine half the foreigners ditching their bookings in projects where 51% has to be Thai-owned, the latter not even half sold.

The Thai government brags about the increase in Chinese tourists, and the full article states:

"Hotels and tourism businesses hoping to offset occupancy losses of upwards of 80% must avoid the possible terminal decision to fill beds with low spending Chinese tourists.

Bottom end Chinese tourists are lowering the bar and creating a serious situation affecting all other associated tourism.

This could bring down the future of Thailand tourism very quickly."

They still here in north pattaya (Nakula)my russian friend runs a estate agency renting and selling condos and business is booming with the russian visitors to the extent that he has recently purchased a new car and recruited additional staff with a wage of 10k per month working mon-fri 10am-4pm,and she is somewhat clueless being an ex bar girl.

On the westerners which they have spent the last ten years chasing out. Said it before, say it again. Thai tourusm is doomed and Thailand can thank the upper eschelons of government for that since 2003.

All they will be left with is one week Chinese package tourist defacing the lovely Thai temples literally with excrement.

That aggressive, middle aged, sour woman shopkeeper will look back fondly on us white folk and our often overly polite manners.

Seems the Thais are already exausted of the rude, boorish and filthy Chinese. Not a week goes by and my wife has another...you are not going to believe this story (usually involving bodily waste).

Som nam nah eh?

Edited by Rocketsurgeon

No such thing as English currency.

that aggressive, middle aged, sour woman shopkeeper will look back fondly on us white folk and our often overly polite manners

I tend to agree. While there were always western tourists amongs the numbers who were a total disgrace because of the ease of access and affordable flights, Thailand ain't seen nothing yet if it saw us as barbarians. It can get much much ruder and more embarrassing with tourists from other parts of the world, as they are already discovering.

Well not so sure if the Chinese will be coming in masses as TAT thought or wishes they would. Thailand is definitely not the first choice for many Chinese (at least for the "quality tourists") and the anti-Chinese sentiments all over the Thai media will not help boosting those visitors.

But as you say, others will come and replace the "missing" Russians who most likely are moving and conducting businesses in Cambodia but pretty sure, they are not Chinese.

Edited by JoeLing

I and most of other farangs hopes that they NEVER come back To Thailand. I travelled a lot but I never saw in My Life SO unfriendly people. Ordinary thai People don't like them Too except business people.

"Ordinary" Thai people don't like anything "not Thai",

that includes Russians, Chinese and Farang coffee1.gif

Edited by JoeLing

Well the 100.000....I never believe these official numbers. Could be much more or less

actually there were about 2 000 000 russian tourists yearly. thousands russian bought condos and houses in Thailand.

About 100 000 were living in Thailand permanently, holding non-imm visa.