Anyone renewed their British passport in Bangkok recently?

Just got a first passport for my five year old - a lot more involved than just renewing.

I handed in the application on 10th march in BKK and was told it was ready for collecting yesterday - 14 days!

A complete contrast to my own passport renewal last year which took TEN WEEKS and caused a Philippines trip to be cancelled at considerable financial loss!

I hope the Passport Office has now got its act together permanently.

A British friend of mine sent me an email on March 17 - I had previously provided him with name and location of a shop in Pattaya that make passport photos and know the requirements UK, USA, and others:

As a follow on to the photo issue, I am amazed to say that I've been informed that my new passport has arrived back from the depths of the British civil service and is ready for collection after only 2.5 weeks after the application!

Yes, I have just renewed my UK passport.

I took the paperwork into the office at the Trendy building, they checked it and sent it back to the UK. I was told it would take two to six weeks. Two weeks later, to the day, I received an email saying my passport was ready for collection.

Collected passport, went across to the British Embassy for a letter for immigration to confirm my passport was a valid UK passport. So, two weeks from start to finish.

Did mine on 19 Feb and collected 10 Mar , 19 days total. Took longer going up and down in the elevator than it did to colloect from the security desk Very simple process, just a pain in the rear going to BKK and back twice

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Is the passport office still in Wireless Road? I need to renew mine as soon as I get back in a couple of weeks time

Trendy House, Sukhumvit, Soi 13. BKK

Thanks Transam

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Is the passport office still in Wireless Road? I need to renew mine as soon as I get back in a couple of weeks time

Thanks Transam

Search the PP thread, a few hoops to sort out. You cannot just turn up and ask....First you must make an appointment, the info will be given to you.

I took the paperwork into the office at the Trendy building, they checked it and sent it back to the UK. I was told it would take two to six weeks. Two weeks later, to the day, I received an email saying my passport was ready for collection.

Collected passport, went across to the British Embassy for a letter for immigration to confirm my passport was a valid UK passport. So, two weeks from start to finish.

I have just applied for mine a week ago last Friday.

Please explain the need to go to the embassy, is this a new requirement? What costs were charged by the embassy?

Thanks.

I have just applied for mine a week ago last Friday.

Please explain the need to go to the embassy, is this a new requirement? What costs were charged by the embassy?

Thanks.

No need. Find my post today with a printout, just read it....smile.png

The last thing I heard was the trendy building visa service provides the letter with your passport asking immigration to transfer the visa to the new passport. Is this wrong?

They provide a letter, YOU must fill in the blanks, then British Embassy/UK must confirm.

My post today has a printout to read what you must do and how to get UK confirm it.

I guess the real test will be when they get busy ahead of this years summer holiday season which peaks in July / August.

I suggest that anyone who needs a new passport at any time this year gets one as soon as possible, plan on having it in your hand before the end of May.

Just a little forward planning can solve many of lifes potential problems. Those passports are almost useless during the last six months unless you're only flying back to the UK.

Edited by ukrules

Its a 10 minute walk from the nana plaza MTS station - what a contrast these stories are from my nightmare last year of 9 weeks!! Don't forget your permanent address in Thai translated to English if you have a rent agreement or something similar. And it has to be an official translation.

Its a 10 minute walk from the nana plaza MTS station - what a contrast these stories are from my nightmare last year of 9 weeks!! Don't forget your permanent address in Thai translated to English if you have a rent agreement or something similar. And it has to be an official translation.

OR something from the UK Gov with your Thai address on in the last year.......Pension, tax, anything.

My passport was ready for collection today, so that's a turnaround time of exactly two weeks.

I'll confirm the current embassy letter situation tomorrow, once I've been through the process.

Currently (last January), you walk into the Embassy Consular section and take a number from the machine. When called, you go to the window and armed with old and new passports, the form from HMPO and a pen, the lady dictates what you need to write in each blank space on the form. Then you slide it over to her, she signs and 'chops' it, slides it back to you, say Thanks and you leave. Free and maybe 5 minutes out of your life (if the place isn't busy).

I understand that the British Embassy will be working totally on an appointment system in the near future so if you haven't done the letter bit yet, get your skates on or else that will be something else to whine about.