Anyone renewed their British passport in Bangkok recently?

My passport was ready for collection today, so that's a turnaround time of exactly two weeks.

I'll confirm the current embassy letter situation tomorrow, once I've been through the process.

Currently (last January), you walk into the Embassy Consular section and take a number from the machine. When called, you go to the window and armed with old and new passports, the form from HMPO and a pen, the lady dictates what you need to write in each blank space on the form. Then you slide it over to her, she signs and 'chops' it, slides it back to you, say Thanks and you leave. Free and maybe 5 minutes out of your life (if the place isn't busy).

I understand that the British Embassy will be working totally on an appointment system in the near future so if you haven't done the letter bit yet, get your skates on or else that will be something else to whine about.

Do it by email, easy, sit at home and do it............thumbsup.gif

Let me reiterate that for anyone with at least three blank pages remaining in their passport, and who is within three months of expiry, there is the option to extend for twelve months, for no cost and requiring only an appointment at the embassy.

Hmmmmm, never heard of that one...........How do they do it..........?

My passport was ready for collection today, so that's a turnaround time of exactly two weeks.

I'll confirm the current embassy letter situation tomorrow, once I've been through the process.

Currently (last January), you walk into the Embassy Consular section and take a number from the machine. When called, you go to the window and armed with old and new passports, the form from HMPO and a pen, the lady dictates what you need to write in each blank space on the form. Then you slide it over to her, she signs and 'chops' it, slides it back to you, say Thanks and you leave. Free and maybe 5 minutes out of your life (if the place isn't busy).

I understand that the British Embassy will be working totally on an appointment system in the near future so if you haven't done the letter bit yet, get your skates on or else that will be something else to whine about.

The Embassy have assured me in an email that appointments will not, in fact, be required for this particular service.

They also forwarded me the attached information notice which the With-It Tower Mob apparently now issue with new passports. This states that the Embassy letter can also be obtained by post or email.

150211 Visa Transfer Letter Final.docx

• Like 1

Additionally with regard to permanent address translations

Where do you get an official translation as opposed to a translation

It means going to a professional translator. You can go to any translation service and get it done.

The last thing I heard was the trendy building visa service provides the letter with your passport asking immigration to transfer the visa to the new passport. Is this wrong?

Sorry but what is this all about, I cannot find the printout referred to by another poster? Letters from the British Embassy confirming that the passport is genuine? Is this a Thai immigration department requirement?

The last time I received a new passport I just went to Jomtien Soi 5 and my visa was transferred, although I was advised to carry both passports until there was a new visa in the new passport.

The last thing I heard was the trendy building visa service provides the letter with your passport asking immigration to transfer the visa to the new passport. Is this wrong?

Sorry but what is this all about, I cannot find the printout referred to by another poster? Letters from the British Embassy confirming that the passport is genuine? Is this a Thai immigration department requirement?

The last time I received a new passport I just went to Jomtien Soi 5 and my visa was transferred, although I was advised to carry both passports until there was a new visa in the new passport.

Yes, this is a new requirement.

I can confirm that when I moved my retirement extension from my old passport to the new passport last January at Jomtien Immigration, the receptionist advised that this letter was required. I included it in my supporting document submission.

The Embassy have assured me in an email that appointments will not, in fact, be required for this particular service.

They also forwarded me the attached information notice which the With-It Tower Mob apparently now issue with new passports. This states that the Embassy letter can also be obtained by post or email.

Can you also post the 'proforma letter' that your instruction refers to? Some others are asking for a copy on this thread.

I think transam already posted it on page 1 of this thread but I am buggered if it's there now!

Edited by NanLaew

Is the passport office still in Wireless Road? I need to renew mine as soon as I get back in a couple of weeks time

Trendy House, Sukhumvit, Soi 13. BKK

Its a 10 minute walk from the nana plaza MTS station - what a contrast these stories are from my nightmare last year of 9 weeks!! Don't forget your permanent address in Thai translated to English if you have a rent agreement or something similar. And it has to be an official translation.

I have a rent agreement in both Thai and English, presumably this would be OK.

Can you also post the 'proforma letter' that your instruction refers to? Some others are asking for a copy on this thread.

I think transam already posted it on page 1 of this thread but I am buggered if it's there now!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/777922-changes-to-british-passport-services-in-thailand/page-106#entry9227354

• Like 1

Again

Anyone know what Immigration documents are acceptable for proof of address

Is the 90 day form OK?

I ask because it is in English and would avoid a costly translation of rental agreement

JGV

Again

Is the 90 day form OK?

I ask because it is in English and would avoid a costly translation of rental agreement

JGV

Do you have anything from the UK, tax, pension stuff, with your Thai address on within the last year.?

Again

Is the 90 day form OK?

JGV

Do you have anything from the UK, tax, pension stuff, with your Thai address on within the last year.?

And see digitalchromakey's post at #2627 on the thread at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/777922-changes-to-british-passport-services-in-thailand, which includes the following advice provided by HMPO:-

"We have contacted our Liverpool Overseas Team on your behalf who has confirmed that you must submit at least one piece of evidence to confirm the address you currently use and it must be dated within the last year. You may choose from the following:

Tax record e.g. letter from tax authority

Educational record e.g. school report

Employment record e.g. official letter from your employer

A letter sent to you from a central, regional or local Government department

National identity card or equivalent (or colour photocopy)

Visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy)

"Where none of the above is available consideration may be given to bank statements, utility bills or their equivalents.

"Any documents that are not in English must be fully translated by a person who is registered to an official organisation or trade body for translators or employed by a recognised translation company. The translation must be attached to the original document and signed to confirm it is a true copy of the original."

• Like 1

Does the service at the trendy building do a check service to ensure your photos and forms are correct also or are they simply a receiving service?

Yep it does. My wife and I got to Trendy a day early just to find the place after having flown in from C/Rai and find hotel in Soi 3. A lady came and sat down and said we needed the yellow book translated into English then come back tomorrow anytime not the time with the 5 min window. Oh and next day there was one more sheet of paper to get copied and TW came through to the booth not Applicant only. Her having to go to the BE when she picked up my passport is what really bogged her off.

Is the passport office still in Wireless Road? I need to renew mine as soon as I get back in a couple of weeks time

Trendy House, Sukhumvit, Soi 13. BKK

Its a 10 minute walk from the nana plaza MTS station - what a contrast these stories are from my nightmare last year of 9 weeks!! Don't forget your permanent address in Thai translated to English if you have a rent agreement or something similar. And it has to be an official translation.

Yes. That's what I used for my passports and all accepted along with the Residence Certificate in English from my local (Jomtien) Immigration office. If your local Immigration Office can't (or won't) issue one in English, then I reckon a translation of it will be needed.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/777922-changes-to-british-passport-services-in-thailand/page-106#entry9227354

Thanks transam. I took your largish bmp, squared it up, trimmed it and here it is as a smallish pdf.

Maybe a Mod can find a home for this in the stickies for us?

HMPO_letter_for_stamp_swap.pdf

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Can I still make new passport Uk in Bangkok embassy ?
I was told have to send it by DHL to UK itself with coloured pages of full passport enclosed.

No !

Details of how to renew at British passport in Thailand can be found here

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

I provided a copy of my one-month BK rent agreement (I'm between homes for a few weeks getting some things sorted out), which was accepted and stamped as an "official notarised translation" (or words to that effect).

The original contract is in English, so there was no translation involved (whether that contract is actually worth the paper it's written on for any other legal purposes is probably another matter entirely, of course).

Anyway, I collected my passport yesterday with the proforma for the embassy. As others have mentioned, the explanatory notes give you the option to go to the embassy, post the form or email it.

Many thanks to all the contributors to this and other threads. Very helpful.

Let me reiterate that for anyone with at least three blank pages remaining in their passport, and who is within three months of expiry, there is the option to extend for twelve months, for no cost and requiring only an appointment at the embassy.

You may have a problem getting a visa put into an extended passport, something to check on first.

It is certainly not allowed for a Schengen visa.

· your travel document:
o Please note that your travel document must be valid for at least three
months after the end of your planned trip.
o Please note that only travel documents that have been issued (not
extended!) during the past 10 years can be endorsed with a visa.

Just a quick question but how much does a new passport cost in Thailand for the biggest one 48 pages I think? Is it payable in Thai Baht or does it have to be in Sterling?

114.01..............You can only pay by card, cash is taken in the UK, not in BKK....They give a form to fill out on the Net to take the cash in the UK.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Just a quick question but how much does a new passport cost in Thailand for the biggest one 48 pages I think? Is it payable in Thai Baht or does it have to be in Sterling?

114.01..............You can only pay by card, cash is taken in the UK, not in BKK....They give a form to fill out on the Net to take the cash in the UK.

Thanks for that. I must not forget my credit card when I go then

Thanks for that. I must not forget my credit card when I go then

No, you download the form on the Net........Fill it in and take THAT with you. They don't look at your card.