Is Tourism In L.O.S. really Down?

willyumiii

We have all been reading that the tourism industry in Thailand is suffering and the number of tourist is at tan all time low.

I live in rural Thailand where we see very few if any tourist at all.

A friend from America just came to LOS for his first visit and I spent three weeks showing him all the places I enjoyed visiting as a tourist.

I haven't done any touring in Thailand for over ten years and found the changes interesting.

The thing that impresses, and disappointed me that most whas the increased number of foreigners everywhere we went!

A couple of examples,

In Krabi / Ao Nang I saw more white faces than I have since I left my home country and huge numbers of Asian tourists.

Twelve years ago it was very common to meet local Thais and get a taste of the local culture.

Now, the only Thais you meet are working in the service industry ( and many of them are Burmese, not Thai).

The only music you hear is western rock and roll, and only a small percentage of the food venues available are real Thai food.

Day and night, the streets all looked like Main Street Disneyland, or Walking Street in Pattaya, all speaking either English, Chinese or other European languages.

The sidewalks were so crowded with tourists, it was difficult to walk

Twelve years ago, this was not the case!

In Bangkok, even in the seedy areas I have enjoyed in the past, there are white faces everywhere now. I do not believe most of these faces are expat residents, dressed and acting like foreigners on vacation.

Hotels were packed with loud groups of Chinese.

Places like The Grand Palace were so choked with tourists it was difficult to get around and almost impossible to take a photo that was not full of people.

If there were any more tourist present, I do not think I would even enter!

Agian, it was not like this ten or twelve years ago.

So, my question is, is tourism really down in Thailand, or is this just another fantasy?

It seems to me that number of tourists has increased, not declined!

I tried to avoid photographs with a lot of tourists, but here a couple.

post-147745-0-77265100-1427412649_thumb.

post-147745-0-74088600-1427412892_thumb.

No, I, for one, don't think tourism is down in numbers - it's as if Thailand has recently been 'discovered' or that suddenly everybody can afford to come here - or that folks think 'the end is nigh' and want to travel while they can - you've even got 'lads' popping over from the U.K. for a long w/e!

The idea that one has escaped to a tropical paradise to 'get away from it all' is getting less and less credible!

Chiang Mai was jam-packed back in January this year with European twenty somethings trying to look 'arty' like some of us did in the sixties - it was like a graduate's Torromalinos.

But I think it's worldwide - my brother travels a lot and told me that on a recent trip (walking) in the Himalaya that not only were there more people doing it than he's seen in the past but that they weren't the type that he usually encountered like teachers for example, he was the only one in his group not engaged in 'small business' and that wasn't half of a 'couple'.

Changing world - the cheap 'package' holiday in Spain for example has morfed into the 'long haul' "we went to Thailand this year" and the Chinese and Russians have suddenly got money and been allowed out - nowhere is safe, even Mount Everest!

From what I hear also, tourism is not down in LOS.

There is a shift between the Russians, because of their economic situation, replaced by the Chinese that seem to flood Thailand.

Europeans and USA tourists are still coming although there are restrictions in obtaining travel insurance because of the martial law.

From what I see from the official figures also tourism is thriving in Thailand although some media are trying to downscale tourists coming in, as an attempt against the current government.

I must admit, I also believed the hype that tourism numbers were being badly affected by a combination of recent history events, Russian currency and martial law being two of the biggest. Was also lead to believe that the tradgety on Ko Tao and even more recently, the proposed alcohol ban during Songkran would add to the number of tourists cancelling their holidays.

However, the last half a dozen times I have recently been through Don Mueang airport, it paints a very different picture. Even without the presence of the Chinese, the number of 'white' faces is staggering. Granted, not all of them are tourists, but I can normally tell the tourists apart, and there are lots of them.

So, to summarize, I wouldn't believe everything you read in the local media sources, all seem to be going for the doom & gloom spin for bigger headlines, but believe your own eyes. Also don't forget to take into account the normal tourist trend for Thailand, high & low seasons. They haven't changed that much.................wink.png

Compared to ten years ago, any tourism would seem to be an increase.

The problem NOW is that tourism has been down in the last year by a significant percentage. It might still be greater than 10 years ago, but interms of GDP growth, tourism can no longer be relied on to contribute to help the economy grow.

Is Tourism In L.O.S. really Down?

Depends on compared to what. Purely by observation, compared to 10 years ago in Pattaya, the number of farang one encounters even as we edge into the low season, is way up ... but many of them I would guess are longer term residents since the places I go aren't likely attractions for genuine tourists.

About a year ago friends from the US came for a visit and we did some of the usual touristy things in Bangkok, visiting places I haven't been to in a decade or more, and I vowed never again. Way too many people.

Comparing numbers over shorter periods of time, it's hard to say. Undoubtedly the fall of the Euro and Ruble have reduced the number of Russians and mainland Europeans. It seems there are fewer Japanese than a few years ago as well.

I wouldn't go by Chiang Mai to guess the amount of tourist.Many people stay away cause of crowds and quality of air.Pattaya is probably down cause of Russia.I imagine Bangkok is busy as usual.Hard to guage tourist in Bangkok .Always to many people.The strong dollar I imagine more Americans.

This will sound offensive, but it`s not meant to be. You don`t come out for 10 years and that`s your guide on whether tourism is down or not? I mean what an idiotic post. I have many friends, along with myself, with tourist dependent businesses across many parts of Thailand and let me tell you for a FACT...tourism is down. But `down` compared to what? well certainly last year for a start.....massively.

Like I said, I really don`t mean to sound rude, but unless you have a business relying on tourists you just aren`t going to understand.

I think the tourist are not down. But I do think the spending is. People are now traveling on a shoe string budget. Or the touristy things are getting old and worn out. Scams are becoming more well known, Some, but not all are wiser. Plus the Exchange rate for the Russians, Auzzies, and New Zealand is down compared to 1-2 years ago.

Edited by Daniel Ingalls

A perfect storm has hit the Thai tourist industry, led by the Bangkok shutdown/Military Junta takeover. Followed by weak currencies, supplemented by rotten attitudes, scammers, criminals in the taxi business, violent beach thugs, police harassment, VISA crackdowns/blacklistings, ladyboy drugings/muggings, polluted resorts and rampant crime vs Tourists, news of human trafficking, slavery, and a PM making wisecracks about executing reporters....w00t.gif

Hotels owners will tell you its way down from a few years ago.

Especially the Russian areas were crushed. 70% down in Russian Hill, Pattaya.

Now the Euro has taking a big hit.

The dollar is strong but not Many Americans want to fly 20 hours to get here.

The high season came and went real fast this year too. Crowds over the New Year holiday soon dwindled.

My friends little resort in Jomtien was always full in the past. Very popular place really and he was only running 70% in December/January.

This week about 40%.

Edited by jamesjohnsonthird

This will sound offensive, but it`s not meant to be. You don`t come out for 10 years and that`s your guide on whether tourism is down or not? I mean what an idiotic post. I have many friends, along with myself, with tourist dependent businesses across many parts of Thailand and let me tell you for a FACT...tourism is down. But `down` compared to what? well certainly last year for a start.....massively.

Like I said, I really don`t mean to sound rude, but unless you have a business relying on tourists you just aren`t going to understand.

I do understand that those in the tourist industry want more tourist, or should I say more revenue from tourist?

I also understand that revenue may be down due to huge numbers of tourist ( mostly Chinese ) coming to Thailand on cheap package tours and spending very little, as well as more Euro/ American tourist touring on a shoestring budget.

But, from what I saw this month while traveling the tourist areas, the number of people is up.

After hearing tourism was down, I was looking forward to seeing smaller crowds and enjoying the beauty and experience of Thailand more.

I was very disappointed.

Many places were so crowded that they were uncomfortable and you felt like you had to compete with the crowds to even get a good look at what you came to see.

Many places have been so wesernized, they did not feel like Thailand, they felt like a theme park in the west.

The bigger the crowds get, the less enjoyable the Thailand experience will become.

I think many first time visitors to Thailand will never come for a second visit.

This will eventually result in not only a drop in revenue, but an actual drop in the people who want to visit Thailand.

The problem facing those of you in the tourist industry is not just how to increase the number of tourist, but to increase the quality of the experience and attract tourist willing to spend good money for that experience.

Good luck with that.

I sincerely hope you can pull it off!

post-147745-0-22792700-1427501894_thumb.

Example: 500 sq meters of beach on an island with 200 tourist ( rotated every 20 minutes) on it is not a quality experience!

Like Spain has become to the Europeans , and Mexico to the Americans ... Thailand is getting old and completely discovered ! If it wasn't for my wife's family I would not go back to Thailand at all . The world needs a new undiscovered relatively safe place ...... Step forward Burma

maybee number of tourists are not down,

if you call thart Chi garbage tourists !!

They are not on all this places which usually westerners enjoy,

But they occupay and destroy some nice places and beaches;

As long as this Chi tourists will occupay this places,

westerners will not come back to this nice and relaxing places !!

Like Spain has become to the Europeans , and Mexico to the Americans ... Thailand is getting old and completely discovered ! If it wasn't for my wife's family I would not go back to Thailand at all . The world needs a new undiscovered relatively safe place ...... Step forward Burma

yes i think we expats slowly have to think about to move foreward to Burma;

I think its down , but maybe not, Indian, Koreans, Chinese, all come in a group and stay in a group, the use certain Buses, and certain agency's to travel around Thailand and visit tourist attractions, The Tour reps are taking them to places that give a reward for bringing them , You can go down Walking street Pattaya and the street are full but if you look in the bars they are empty, the same for Phuket . Bangla road. But they have Put a sign up saying its Walking street now. These tourists don't use many bars restaurants, They eat in the Hotels they are staying in so the money and custom does not reach the street Venders and bars, A change in Tourist behavior is the Thing that stands out, because European tourist are on the wain. and because of the strength of the bart. Just my opinion .

Edited by Thongkorn

• 1 month later...

Tourism is down, way down.

Of course there are particular places and times in which there are crowds of tourists. Millions of tourists still come to Thailand.

But receipts are significantly down. And that's what counts.

The Chinese are bolstering the industry, but don't compensate for Europeans who are coming less often, staying for shorter periods and spending less.

The world economy is shrinking and Thailand has become less attractive, for all sorts of reasons.

Perhaps the government could augment the industry to some degree, but the industry is in decline and it would appear as though this trend is going to continue for sometime.

After living in Thailand for nearly ten years, and stayed in loads of hotels, especially in Bangkok, I tried to book into a hotel in Bangkok about three months ago, and for the first time ever,

in Bangkok that is, I was told it was full, only one other hotel has ever said it was full, and that was about two years ago in Nakhon Sawan.